Flames Defense

CheersMan

8 hours ago, Pucksage said:

It's no coincidence the Flames are winning after Wideman has been a healthy scratched by the coach. He is too slow and soft on defense. What always irked me was why he would try to play goalie and block the shot all the time. I think he's scored more own goals than goals for the Flames this season.

Ya man.  No coincidence Brodie's game has picked up since Wideman was surgically removed from his right side.

On 27/02/2017 at 7:42 PM, travel_dude said:

Bartman hasn't been bad.  I don't know if he looks any better than Kulak, but at least he plays big.  After this season, we have to add to the roster to replace Engelland.

Neither Bartman nor Stone really fit that spot.  Maybe Andersson is ready.  Maybe Kylington will be more NHL capable than Kulak.

I don't see either Hickey or Fox in the picture for a few years.  I was kind of hoping Ollas-Mattsson would come over soon and sign here.  He's a big body player that might replace some of the grit Engelland brought.  

Fox is a ways a way but I think Hickey maybe the closest prospect we have to making a jump onto the big team. Scouts have been raving about how far along his defensive game as come and he has been putting the work in, in the gym. I would'nt be suprised to see him here at the end of the season with the black aces.

Wow bringing up Andersson I bet Kulak is not happy I bet he thought it would be him being brought up since he has been in the top 1or 2 in the heats organization. Any Im pretty excited to see what Rasmus can do in the NHL hope he makes his day bebut a success. Go Rasmus Go

2 minutes ago, zima said:

Wow bringing up Andersson I bet Kulak is not happy I bet he thought it would be him being brought up since he has been in the top 1or 2 in the heats organization. Any Im pretty excited to see what Rasmus can do in the NHL hope he makes his day bebut a success. Go Rasmus Go

Yesterday when Kerr was talking to Francis, Kerr said Kulak is injured. 

2 minutes ago, zima said:

Kulak is injured.

As Cross mentioned in another thread Andersson only gets in if we are down both Hamilton and Stone. Andersson was called up on emergency basis, meaning that he only gets in if we don't have enough healthy bodies. 

After the trade deadline you only get 4 call ups for the rest of the year, Andersson being on emergency basis means he doesn't use up one of those call ups.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Kulak is injured.

As Cross mentioned in another thread Andersson only gets in if we are down both Hamilton and Stone. Andersson was called up on emergency basis, meaning that he only gets in if we don't have enough healthy bodies. 

After the trade deadline you only get 4 call ups for the rest of the year, Andersson being on emergency basis means he doesn't use up one of those call ups.

I wonder if Hamilton will play. They might keep it safe by sitting him to heal the cut. Cuts are dangerous with hockey gear - infection... 

On 2017-03-02 at 10:45 PM, rickross said:

Widemen wasn't playing with much heart..the guy needs a change of scenery after all that's happen the last 2 years. Flames have really improved as a D unit..at the start of the season we would get LIT UP every game. They've been managing 1-2 goal games more often with the help of Elliots play of course. Flames have great mobility on defence with the big 3, Stone and Engelland have been solid "stay at home'' D men but we could still use an upgrade at crease clearing D man in the off season. I would hate to be in Minny's position with all those good D men available to be plucked by Vegas

Minny can only lose 1 player. It'll be interesting to see who they expose.

*******************************************************************************************

The NHL isn't answering if they'll allow the protective lists released to the media. If they don't I hope there's a leak by 1 team as they all get the list once submitted to allow for formulating trades prior to draft day. Seeing those will give us armchair GMs recommending moves BT should make.

March 15, 2017

The Sports Xchange 
 Posted with permission from The Sports Xchange

The NHL lost its appeal of a neutral arbitrator's ruling that Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman's 20-game suspension for assaulted linesman Don Henderson in a Jan. 27, 2016, game be reduced to 10 games. 

Full story:

http://monday-morning-qb.blogspot.ca/2017/03/nhl-loses-appeal-involving-wideman.html

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/hamilton-and-giordano-are-the-best-pairing-in-hockey-1.704373

We have the best pair in the league according to Travis Yost. I wonder how the Brodie/Stone pair rank in the last few weeks, as it might be a small sample size to work from.

Brodie/Stone pass the eye test, but their fancy stats are no better than Brodie/Wideman.  What I do find is that the new pair offers things such as containment, hitting and lack of deflecting the puck in their own net.

The sample size is way too small to be able to make any realistic assessment.  I do like most of what I have seen.  Brodie is still trying to do too much stickhandling under pressure.

3 hours ago, Protestor said:

I'm fairly happy with our D-core, except for Bartkowski. I hope we find a better replacement for him soon.

What is it about him you don't like?  I haven't seen anything to excessively hate on him about, and think he's right where he should be....3rd-pairing D.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/hamilton-and-giordano-are-the-best-pairing-in-hockey-1.704373

We have the best pair in the league according to Travis Yost. I wonder how the Brodie/Stone pair rank in the last few weeks, as it might be a small sample size to work from.

I hate it when they start crowning our D men before they've actually accomplished anything. Gio and Hammy have been a great pairing this year but the puck stops there. Brodie has been unusually turn over prone this season. 

1 hour ago, Kulstad said:

What is it about him you don't like?  I haven't seen anything to excessively hate on him about, and think he's right where he should be....3rd-pairing D.

He seems to be weak on both the puck and other players. Far too often I see him turn it over far too easily.

But, like with all things of this variety, I figure the Flames' staff are far better at seeing this sort of thing than I am so if there's a problem they'll deal with it.

10 minutes ago, Protestor said:

He seems to be weak on both the puck and other players. Far too often I see him turn it over far too easily.

But, like with all things of this variety, I figure the Flames' staff are far better at seeing this sort of thing than I am so if there's a problem they'll deal with it.

In the grand scheme of things, he is realistically/probably better anyone else in our system. So depth isn't quite there. Is Kulak better? Maybe at times he has shown signs. They signed him so that they'd have someone to expose for the expansion draft. 

Overall, I think the D has looked better with both Stone and Bartkowski. I don't think he is the long term answer.  Our D is far from its final look... 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

In the grand scheme of things, he is realistically/probably better anyone else in our system. So depth isn't quite there. Is Kulak better? Maybe at times he has shown signs. They signed him so that they'd have someone to expose for the expansion draft. 

Overall, I think the D has looked better with both Stone and Bartkowski. I don't think he is the long term answer.  Our D is far from its final look... 

I don;t think the 3rd pairing has looked that good recently.  If I had my drothers, I would put in Andersson.  Sit Bart for a game.  

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t think the 3rd pairing has looked that good recently.  If I had my drothers, I would put in Andersson.  Sit Bart for a game.  

I agree. But neither has Brodie and Stone for the past few games. Brodie seems to be back to making a lot of mental mistakes. I think those stand out more to me only because I don't expect that from him and what we know of his ability. So I probably scrutinize him a bit more because of it.

Engelland has started to look a bit slower too. And that is probably fatigue. They're now playing every other night, which, even though not back to backs, is still tiresome. Not to give them excuses. But I think you're right, it would be a good idea to give some guys a game off for maintenance and Andersson's new energy could be what the team needs. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I liked Jokipakka better than Bartkowski. I'm not saying we have a better choice right now, just that I don't think he's very good and I hope we find a replacement for him soon.

13 minutes ago, Protestor said:

I liked Jokipakka better than Bartkowski. I'm not saying we have a better choice right now, just that I don't think he's very good and I hope we find a replacement for him soon.

They signed him for the Vegas draft I think. I think he is ok. We can't expect that much more for third pair.

At home he is fine because we get  to line match, whereas I think he gets beat up on the road because the home team gets last change. 

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You would play Andersson on his off side ? I don't like that. Give Engelland a rest and play him in the position he is familiar.
I agree with everyone else that Brodie needs a time out to get his head on straight.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You would play Andersson on his off side ? I don't like that. Give Engelland a rest and play him in the position he is familiar.
I agree with everyone else that Brodie needs a time out to get his head on straight.

No, I would play Engelland on his off side.  

Give Engelland a rest?  As in a healthy scratch?  No, I would play him because he is one of the better PK d-men we have.  Does he need a better partner than Bart?  Yes.  I think that Engelland can provide some structure to allow Andersson to provide some offense.  He has a cannon and is smart offensively.

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No, I would play Engelland on his off side.  

Give Engelland a rest?  As in a healthy scratch?  No, I would play him because he is one of the better PK d-men we have.  Does he need a better partner than Bart?  Yes.  I think that Engelland can provide some structure to allow Andersson to provide some offense.  He has a cannon and is smart offensively.

Won't happen and I wouldn't do it with having to switch Engelland around to accommodate Andersson. I think Bartkowski has been doing fine. I'm more concerned that Brodie has been messing up so much lately.

23 hours ago, Protestor said:

Bartkowski played well for about two weeks but he's beginning to show everyone why he is a borderline NHLer.  Great speed and quickness but decision making is questionable.  

That said, Jokipakka was hopeless and generally looked lost our there.  He certainly isn't any better, just younger with potential to get better over time.