Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

but isn't that only for kingston

No, it's not cogeco, it's youtube. If that's what you meant... :huh:

If you meant, "this isn't Flames Camp", that was made obvious by the OP.

Thanks Starkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceOVxPq2IXU

Deleted Fronts Scrimmage 2, I don't think he took part in that one. Or someone can tell me # and jersey colour, don't see him.

Plenty to see from him in Scrimmage 1 though. He might just be their best player! :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not cogeco, it's youtube. If that's what you meant... :huh:

If you meant, "this isn't Flames Camp", that was made obvious by the OP.

Thanks Starkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceOVxPq2IXU

Deleted Fronts Scrimmage 2, I don't think he took part in that one. Or someone can tell me # and jersey colour, don't see him.

Plenty to see from him in Scrimmage 1 though. He might just be their best player! :lol:

thx

According to The Score Brad Treliving is quoted as saying he would be shocked if Bennett made the team this year.

Good.  No need to rush the kid.  Let him muscle up and get used to dominating Juniors.  He is listed as 6'-0" 178 lbs but the way he plays, he would need to be 190-195 lbs pure muscle to be effective in the NHL.

Good.  No need to rush the kid.  Let him muscle up and get used to dominating Juniors.  He is listed as 6'-0" 178 lbs but the way he plays, he would need to be 190-195 lbs pure muscle to be effective in the NHL.

How big was Doug Gilmour? 

Maybe it's a different time and era, but he has masked his game after him. Although, I guess he has a bit more edge than Gilmour?

But Gimour wasn't that big.

Not that I think they have to have Bennett in the bigs this year. I'd say when he's ready he will show he is ready.

Maybe it's a different time and era, but he has masked his game after him. Although, I guess he has a bit more edge than Gilmour?

Not that I think they have to have Bennett in the bigs this year. I'd say when he's ready he will show he is ready.

agree with u. you don't need to be big to play good

Doug Gilmour played another year of junior after being drafted...just saying.

I watched the draft and was beyond words to see our pick of Sam. Now I can't wait to see him play. Hopping I can get to see him up for a few home games !! When is your pick for his first game. Mine is sept 21 against Edmonton in the pre games.

A non-public gatekeeper post from a new member quoted in the relevant public thread as a test using the multiquote option.

Welcome to the boards waterwolf96.

You can see Sam in action tonight @ 17:00 hrs via streaming on this website.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to say it because I think Sam has shown skill wise that he belongs here but he needs to be sent back to Kingston for another season. Hes just not physically mature enough yet for the game he plays, pafk on another 15-20lbs and then let him come in next season and scoop up that Calder trophy. He has been better then advertised and I for one think we walked away with the best player in the draft. I just dont feel like this is his year to start his pro career.

Hate to say it because I think Sam has shown skill wise that he belongs here but he needs to be sent back to Kingston for another season. Hes just not physically mature enough yet for the game he plays, pafk on another 15-20lbs and then let him come in next season and scoop up that Calder trophy. He has been better then advertised and I for one think we walked away with the best player in the draft. I just dont feel like this is his year to start his pro career.

^^^^^ this.

The few shifts that he's had, there is no question he has offensive skill, but there were a few occasions where he just simply didn't look strong enough (ie: protecting the puck, laying out hits).  If he's able to put on the mass like Mony did this summer, there'd be no stopping him.

#Flames Treliving on Sam Bennett: "I have a fairly strong suspicion he will attack this rehab like he attacks everything in his career."

More from #Flames Treliving on Bennett surgery: “These are never things you want to have happen but ... time is in front of us right now.”

Finally, Bennett's injury is not same as last season. Per Treliving, "If this issue was last year, you're not going to be able to play."

Tough break for Sam. This takes him out of the WJC for sure. Hopefully the surgery is a success. Best of luck Sam and look forward to seeing you back on the ice soon.

^^^^^ this.

The few shifts that he's had, there is no question he has offensive skill, but there were a few occasions where he just simply didn't look strong enough (ie: protecting the puck, laying out hits).  If he's able to put on the mass like Mony did this summer, there'd be no stopping him.

I wonder if his observable weakness was due in part to the shoulder. I get he is a smaller guy, but given Sam's age and the rehab time after surgery, a good guess at the injury could be a labrum problem. A torn labrum means instability which would most likely influence his strength when engaged with his upper body. If this is the case, more props to Sam's courage as he tried to overcome pain and weakness.

The injury and resulting surgery is unfortunate but the timing may benefit both the Flames and Bennett.

He now has 6 - 8 months to gain some size after rehabbing his shoulder.

I expect that he will be ready for the NHL next season, or at the very least, big minutes in the AHL.

The injury and resulting surgery is unfortunate but the timing may benefit both the Flames and Bennett.

I expect that he will be ready for the NHL next season, or at the very least, big minutes in the AHL.

Wills is talking as though Sam somehow knew he had a serious shoulder problem and conspired to hide it - he said something along the lines of "had he disclosed it earlier the surgery could have been done earlier and been ready for camp this year". That is bush league. Is Sam supposed to know when an MRI should be ordered? Perhaps we was guilty of downplaying it for a few days, but to suggest he could of anticipated this last year is ridiculous.

He'll only be 19 next year. NHL or OHL.

Since he is going to (at best) miss two thirds of the season I think he may spend next season in the CHL. Before the injury I thought NHL for sure. But it's going to be tough to out on size this season.

I could see him being in the NHL next year. Depending on his recovery you could possibly send him down to the AHL on a conditioning stint and then if his CHL team is done keep him there for the rest of the AHL season and playoffs. That would give everyone a good sense of where he is. Playing with the injury and looking like he was one of the Flames best players during the preseason makes me think hes probably ready now. 

Archived