Prospect Rankings

It is that time again.  Time to rank the Flames prospects.  Everyone has their own definition of who qualifies as a prospect.  But my criteria is under 26 and fewer than 80 NHL games played.  

1. Monahan
  2. Gaudreau
  3. Poirier
  4. Granlund
  5. Baertschi
  6. Reinhart
  7. Gilles
  8. Ortio
  9. Klimchuk
  10. Knight
  11. Wotherspoon
  12. Ferland
  13. Jankowski
  14. Arnold
  15. Agostino
  16. Kulak
  17. Culkin
  18. Jooris
  19. Hanowski
  20. E Roy
  21. Sieloff
  22. Kanzig
  23. Cundari
  24. Gilmour
  25. Gordon
  26. DeBlouw
  27. Harrison
  28. O Roy
  29. Ramage
  30. Elson
  31. Breen
  32. Martin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Monahan
2. Gaudreau
3. Baertschi
4. Poirier
5. Granlund
6. Klimchuk
7. Reinhart
8. Gillies
9. Knight
10. Wotherspoon
11. Jankowski
12. Seiloff
13. Ortio
14. Agostino
15. Ferland
16. Culkin
17. Arnold
18. Kulak
19. VanBrabent
20. E. Roy
21. Kanzig
22. Gordon
23. Rafikov
24. O. Roy
25. Hanowski

I agree with a lot of your list, but here is my list:

1. Monahan
  2. Gaudreau
  3. Poirier
  4. Granlund
  5. Baertschi
  6. Reinhart
  7. Gilles
  8. Ortio
  9. Klimchuk
  10. Wotherspoon
  11. Sieloff
  12. Jankowski
  13. Knight
  14. Ferland
  15. Arnold
  16. Agostino
  17. Culkin
  18. Kulak
  19. Kanzig
  20. Breen
  21. Jooris
  22. Hanowski
  23. E Roy
  24. Cundari
  25. Gilmour
  26. Gordon
  27. DeBlouw
  28. Harrison
  29. O Roy
  30. Ramage
  31. Elson
  32. Martin

1. Monahan

2. Gaudreau

3. Grandlund

4. Baertschi

5. Ortio

6. Poirier

7. Wotherspoon

8. Reinhart

9. Knight

10. Jankowski

11. Klimchuk

12. Kulak

13. Ferland

14. Gillies

15. Arnold

Edited mine. Moved Ortio up and took Colborne out.

1. Monahan

2. Baertschi

3. Gaudreau

4. Poirier

5. Granlund

6. Gillies

7. Reinhart

8. Klimchuk

9. Wotherspoon

10. Ortio

11. Knight

12. Ferland

13. Hanowski

14. Jankowski

15. Sieloff

TBH I don't see Monahan (or Colborne) as a prospect anymore so I'd put on another guy and shift the others up one spot,

16. Agostino

TBH I don't see Monahan (or Colborne) as a prospect anymore

they would be 1. 2.

1. Wotherspoon

2. Baertschi

3. Gaudreau

4. Ortio

5. Granlund

6. Knight

7. Reinhart

8. Poirer

9. Sieloff

10.Arnold

11. Culkin

12. Ferland

13. Klimchuk

14. Jooris

15.Agostino

Ranked them by the impact they had in the show or the impact on the Heat. I am with the hopefuls that Baer makes an impact, however, seems to come out flat with no impact when given the ball. 

1. Ortio

2. Granlund

3. Wotherspoon

4. Reinhart

5. Poirer

6. Knight

7. Gaudreau

8. Ferland

9. Baertschi

10.Agostino

11.Arnold

12. Hanowski

Culkin,. Sieloff,Kllimchuk

• Monahan - Have really liked the slow increase in role and still maintaining consistency
  • Baertschi - Seen more NHL play than the rest and has good potential
  • Gaudreau - Can see him being a bit of a lightning bolt and bringing high energy, excited for training camp
  • Poirier - Love his game. Speedy and Tenacious
  • Wotherspoon - Does everything right, positionally sound, looking forward to seeing how his game develops
  • Granlund - Good balance of speed and skill love what he brings to the team
  • Reinhart - Skills there would love to see his consistency develop
  • Arnold - Excited to see him with more NHL exp., physical grinder, great playmaker
  • Ortio - Looking forward to seeing his potential, great trainer back in Finland and love his focus and desire to play the puck, great glove hand and is cool as ice under pressure.
  • Gillies - High ceiling, confidence may be an issue for performance but think he has great potential
  • Klimchuk - Thinking he was a great pick where we got him haven't seen much of him but hear great things
  • Jankowski - Really good 2-way player, thinking playing on the Friars will do wonders and can't wait to see his offense blossom once he bulks up more.
  • Knight - Liked what I saw during his callups and think he will do well on a more skilled line
  • Ferland - Don't know too much on him but I like what I hear about him over say Culkin or Hanowski
  • Van Brabant - Really liked what he brought, Bouma 2.0 with more upside imo.

I would rank Sieloff but due to his season ending injury problems I can't make a proper ranking, I really like our crop of prospects and find it hard to make some definitive picks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hockey's Future has upgraded the Flames prospect pool from 13th to 6th in the league...

I am not saying that they are the most credible resource or that they have the best analytical opinions, nor am I saying that I agree with their choice of players or the order in which they placed them...   But I do agree with them in that there has been significant improvement, and I also think they are pretty close as to where the Flames sit in comparison to other teams...

035b80412e287334fa1c68d56502d3f7.png

From...   http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/107997/team-rankings-deep-and-varied-prospect-pool-vaults-buffalo-sabres-to-top-spot/

1.Gaudreau

2.Baertschi

3.Ortio

4.Granlund

5.Wotherspoon

6.Poirier

7.Reinhart

8.Knight

9.Gillies

10.Kanzig

11.Jankowski

12.Klimchuk

13.Arnold

14.Agostino

15.Ferland

Guys like Arnold, Jankowski, and Ferland's stock may raise with their play after this season.  Ferland was higher for me last season, but took a step back with a whole year of development.  This is the year for Jankowski to break out, as most collegiate players excel in their 3rd season.  Time to see what Janko brings.  I haven't had enough of a sample size to see Arnold at the AHL/NHL level or on any international level.

Depending upon where he signs, we could very well be adding Kevin Hayes to the mix.

The list will also change with the Flames' 1s round selection in the upcoming draft.

The Ward interview was very good to listen to. 

Grandlund: Believes is ready could play anywhere on any team, should be top 6 potential. Teams shared MVP.

Ferland: If he has a great training off season should make a push for a spot on the Flames next season. Grit, speed and skill 

Poirer: Battled injuries with the heat explosive speed great vision offensively needs to develop on D. Potentially a 30 + goal scorer at NHL level

Ortio: Shared MVP with Granlund best goalie that has come out the farm system in a while. Matured well great confidence improved greatly this season.

Reinhart: Turned a corner this season but still needs some growth.

Seiloff: Mature beyond his years, has what it takes and great leadership qualities. Likes all aspects of his game. 

Sven: Great person, grew as an individual has been taking on his adversity well and has a great attitude. Ward just made mention tat he is working hard and had to grow up a lot. 

From the interview it seemed that Ward believes Ferland and Grandlund could push for a roster spot. Ortio could but BB already stated he wants him playing. The other are close with the exception of Sven. He made comments of improvements with personal growth not hockey growth. He says Sven is electric and has a good future but needs more development. IMHO we don't see him for at least 1 to possibly 2 years. 

The Ward interview was very good to listen to. 

Grandlund: Believes is ready could play anywhere on any team, should be top 6 potential. Teams shared MVP.

Ferland: If he has a great training off season should make a push for a spot on the Flames next season. Grit, speed and skill 

Poirer: Battled injuries with the heat explosive speed great vision offensively needs to develop on D. Potentially a 30 + goal scorer at NHL level

Ortio: Shared MVP with Granlund best goalie that has come out the farm system in a while. Matured well great confidence improved greatly this season.

Reinhart: Turned a corner this season but still needs some growth.

Seiloff: Mature beyond his years, has what it takes and great leadership qualities. Likes all aspects of his game. 

Sven: Great person, grew as an individual has been taking on his adversity well and has a great attitude. Ward just made mention tat he is working hard and had to grow up a lot. 

From the interview it seemed that Ward believes Ferland and Grandlund could push for a roster spot. Ortio could but BB already stated he wants him playing. The other are close with the exception of Sven. He made comments of improvements with personal growth not hockey growth. He says Sven is electric and has a good future but needs more development. IMHO we don't see him for at least 1 to possibly 2 years. 

Looks like you mixed up Ferland and Poirier's descriptions; Ferland battled injuries.

Players making the Flames:

Granlund - he looks like he is further ahead than his brother was.  Should be in conversation for 3rd line C.

Poirier - brings what the Flames lack; a power forward playing RW.  Could be ready this year if he has a good camp and pre-season.

Wotherspoon - easily makes it as a 3rd pairing D.  Steady and skilled passer.

Johnny Hockey - has overcome everything put in his way.  Could see him making the Flames out of camp.

Mid-season or injury call-ups:

Ferland - his injury put him a bit back; needs to get in game shape and bring that tough game early on.

Reinhart - steady guy that can play in multiple spots.

Arnold - bigger C; could be brought up to play C on the 4th line, assuming an energy 4th line.

Knight - injury call-up for RW.

Looks like you mixed up Ferland and Poirier's descriptions; Ferland battled injuries.

Granlund - he looks like he is further ahead than his brother was. Should be in conversation for 3rd line C.

Poirier - brings what the Flames lack; a power forward playing RW. Could be ready this year if he has a good camp and pre-season.

Wotherspoon - easily makes it as a 3rd pairing D. Steady and skilled passer.

Johnny Hockey - has overcome everything put in his way. Could see him making the Flames out of camp.

Ferland - his injury put him a bit back; needs to get in game shape and bring that tough game early on.

Arnold - bigger C; could be brought up to play C on the 4th line, assuming an energy 4th line.

Don't forget about Seiloff, lost most of the year to injury, but he was close to making this team last year. He need some time in the AHL, but he brings the truculence that Calgary is looking for on the back end.

Don't forget about Seiloff, lost most of the year to injury, but he was close to making this team last year. He need some time in the AHL, but he brings the truculence that Calgary is looking for on the back end.

Didn't forget.  He lost so much training and playing time last year, he will need to regain that to be in a position to play.  I would hold off on him till he plays a half season at least with the Heat.

Granlund - he looks like he is further ahead than his brother was.  Should be in conversation for 3rd line C.

Poirier - brings what the Flames lack; a power forward playing RW.  Could be ready this year if he has a good camp and pre-season.

Wotherspoon - easily makes it as a 3rd pairing D.  Steady and skilled passer.

Johnny Hockey - has overcome everything put in his way.  Could see him making the Flames out of camp.

Nope pretty sure he stated Ferland if not injured would  have pushed for a spot this season, Off season if he gets in better shape should push for a spot. Poirier has the offensive talent but needs grooming on d. Grandlund he believes should be a Flame  top 6 role, but also could fill a bottom 6 if required.  Reinhart turned a corner but still not ready. 

Sieloff he belives will advance depending on off season and development, the rest were not mentioned

• 5 months later...

Archived