Prospect Rankings

sorry to say but I hope Berch does what he does best play a few games then bomb and go into the sick bay for a few month that is his profile as far as I'm concerned after all he is now a Kunuckle head. I am hoping that Poirier also surprises every 1 I'm not sure about Carroll great numbers but he is an over age in the WHL big kid hopefully he can bring a Ferland type style to his game he is big and could be nasty I hope

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Granlund early.  But he really started to take steps back as the season progressed.  That isn't to say he isn't going to make it.  I just didn't see the progression I was hoping, especially given the opportunity he was given.  It is going to be tough to crack the Flames roster this season. If he doesn't he is at risk of being passed by the guys coming up behind him.  I don't want to put a do or die on a 22 year old prospect.  But like the other Flames draftees in the top 60 last season (Baertschi, Wotherspoon) this is a huge season for him.  

Granlund has started his NHL career much like his brother did.  He showed a glimmer of success early on, but should have been sent down to the AHL to continue his development.  I would prefer to work him into a 3rd line LW, as he has potential to be a top 6, but can still provide the 3rd line defensive responsibility we need. 

The problem I see is the guys already playing LW ahead of him; Bouma, Ferland, Raymond, Colborne (if not C or RW).... Granlund will likely start in the AHL, mostly due to his waiver status. 

• 3 weeks later...

According to the writers at FN, below is a list of the top 20 (so far 20-4) prospects for the Flames:

20 - Rushan Rafikov

19 - Garnet Hathaway

18 - Austin Carroll

17 - Brett Kulak

16 - Mason McDonald

15 - Hunter Smith

14 - Kenny Agostino

13 - Ryan Culkin

12 - Andrew Mangiapane

11 - Kenney Morrison

10 - Mark Jankowski

9 - Bill Arnold

8 - Tyler Wotherspoon

7 - Brandan Hickey

6 - Rasmus Andersson

5 - Morgan Klimchuk

4 - Oliver Kylington

That should leave 3-1 being Gillies, Poirier and Bennett.  Some I would dispute, but the reasoning is sound at least.  Interesting that Kylington is already top 5 on this list, and hasn't even shown us what he can really do.  Exciting times.

Looks like Kylington picked up a goasl and 2 checking from behind against the Czech 1 checking from behind against Russia and no points against the fins so far sweds have have 2 wins 1 lose they don't give out box scores so have no Idea what the actual game is played out no point for mats but doesn't show the hole game just points. As far as Kyl goes shows a lot of promise in my mind. :mellow:  

According to the writers at FN, below is a list of the top 20 (so far 20-4) prospects for the Flames:

20 - Rushan Rafikov

19 - Garnet Hathaway

18 - Austin Carroll

17 - Brett Kulak

16 - Mason McDonald

15 - Hunter Smith

14 - Kenny Agostino

13 - Ryan Culkin

12 - Andrew Mangiapane

11 - Kenney Morrison

10 - Mark Jankowski

9 - Bill Arnold

8 - Tyler Wotherspoon

7 - Brandan Hickey

6 - Rasmus Andersson

5 - Morgan Klimchuk

4 - Oliver Kylington

That should leave 3-1 being Gillies, Poirier and Bennett.  Some I would dispute, but the reasoning is sound at least.  Interesting that Kylington is already top 5 on this list, and hasn't even shown us what he can really do.  Exciting times.

Clearly Granlund, Ferland, and Ortio don't qualify as prospects by their criteria.  

They show their bias against big players (and for small players) a bit.  Specifically in where they have Smith and Mangiapane ranked.  They are also much higher on Wotherspoon then I am.  But overall I think it is a smart list.  

I think they have it grouped pretty well. There are some individual changes i would make such as swapping Hickey with Kylingston and also swapping wothrespoon with Morrison but everyone is in their right bracket. i don't feel like anyone, except maybe MacDonald, is way out of place on that list.

I think they have it grouped pretty well. There are some individual changes i would make such as swapping Hickey with Kylingston and also swapping wothrespoon with Morrison but everyone is in their right bracket. i don't feel like anyone, except maybe MacDonald, is way out of place on that list.

I agree with you on MacDonald, he deserves to be way higher. I think he gets a bad rep because his stats don't jump out at you, but it has way more to do with the fact that he plays in Q. No goalie lights up the Q. MacDonald was the best non overage goalie in that league last year. I personally have him on par with Gillies as far as potential.

I am a little higher on Kylington than you and I am fine with where he is rated here. I probably would bring up Hickey and drop Rasmus Andersson.

On the FN list my only major one would be dropping Rafikov in favour of Kanzig, but that is just me (I think it's more based on the fact that Kanzig is already in North America while Rafikov has yet to play in NA outside of part of the national team). As for the other D-Men, I think Wotherspoon is a little high, but not unreasonably so (would probably switch him and Arnold). Andersson, Hickey and Kylington are tough though, all three are good offensive guys, but from a defensive end I would rate Andersson ahead of the other two but not by much. All 3 are ultimately similar style player (with Kylington being the highest potential of the three, while Andersson is likely the lowest of them. All 3 have pretty good chances of being good top4 guys though)

I would like to see a lot more hockey from mason before I would put him in the same category as Gillies. as far as Kyl goes to me he is still an unknown entity again another player I would like to see play some NA hockey before I would even come close to commenting on his abilities

Archived