Prospect Rankings

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beginning to wonder if Austin Carroll should be on your list.  Last year he was 34-23-57 over 70 games in the WHL, this year he is 20-18-38 after just 30, on pace to push 90 points.  Drafted in the seventh round last year, if he can keep improving he might be another late round gem.

Carroll has been a really pleasant surprise so far. A well earned late scratch in camp and a strong season so far. I won't forget him next time.

He is an overager in the WHL, so he should be putting up great numbers this year.  But, I will say this; I like him. He is big, has grit and great hands. Maybe a earlier maturing Ferland.

He is an overager in the WHL, so he should be putting up great numbers this year. But, I will say this; I like him. He is big, has grit and great hands. Maybe a earlier maturing Ferland.

He isn't a top 10 prospect or anything. But he looked really good preseason for the Flames as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree that Max Reinhart is our 4th best prospect.  I would replace either Jooris or Granlund with him.  Max hasn't shown much for me at the NHL level, any time he's been called up.

I would also place Baertschi behind Jooris or Granny Apples too.

I disagree that Max Reinhart is our 4th best prospect.  I would replace either Jooris or Granlund with him.  Max hasn't shown much for me at the NHL level, any time he's been called up.

I would also place Baertschi behind Jooris or Granny Apples too.

To start the season I had Reinhart as number 7.  I have him in the 12 to 15 range right now.  Prospects like Jooris have elevated their games.  Meanwhile Reinhart hasn't been able to duplicate his production from a season ago in the AHL.  

Before someone goes crazy, that doesn't mean I think he is a bad prospect.  But I agree with you 4 is way to high considering the other guys in our system.  Not sure how you can put him ahead of Granlund, Poirier, Ferland, Jooris, Gilles, etc.  Baertschi at 3 is also pretty questionable.  And I like Baertschi.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, just wanted to send a shoutout to Hunter Smith. His team is ahead of the Erie Otter 2-0 in games. Yes the great McDavid's team is not cruising to a victory so easily.

Hunter Smith is 1g 1a, 2pts in this series.

McDavid is 0g 1a, 1pt in this series.

I wanted Smith before we even drafted him. I like the big physical players that can also play hockey (aka Bouma, Ferland, etc). Smith is a beast and he was a late bloomer offensively so potentially a steal in the second round.

He isn't lighting the CHL on offensively, but he is producing enough to show he may have NHL upside.

What we need are work horses we have point getters if hunter can do what Bouma and Backs do then we will keeps the scorers away from our net the Gens seem to be doing a pretty good job against Otters so far keep up the good work Gens

I would say the opposite, we have alot of work horses, we need more secondary scoring. Im aware that we had lots from our D over the season, but other then the D we had what 8 forwards scoring more then 10. 3 of those forwards were the mony line, 2 in raymond and jorris didnt score consistently. So going into next season I would like to see our 2nd line have a bigger contribution.

I would say the opposite, we have alot of work horses, we need more secondary scoring. Im aware that we had lots from our D over the season, but other then the D we had what 8 forwards scoring more then 10. 3 of those forwards were the mony line, 2 in raymond and jorris didnt score consistently. So going into next season I would like to see our 2nd line have a bigger contribution.

In terms of the rebuild, we are strong at Left Wing and Centre.  Everyone can agree on that.

In terms of defense, I would say we are weak.  But I do not count Gio in the rebuild.  We just witnessed the peak of his career, and Wideman's career (sorry in advance).  IMHO, we are short two bluechip D prospects.  Especially RH.

In terms of Right Wingers, we are short at least one full-on power forward.   We would have room for two if they came along.

In terms of goaltenders, I would say that we are moderate with Ortio and Gillies.   IMHO it is too early to call us strong here.  I wish we had one more stellar goaltending prospect, but it may work out as is.

I disagree with those who believe the difference between us and the true contenders is a few role players. 

The difference is a few core, first-line players.   It is within reach but not nearly as within reach as some here think.

I like this build,

Kane - Toews - RW

LW - Sharp - Hossa

What's great is you've got the option to top load one line or spread it out between two.  If the Flames don't ever find that star first line RW, then the Flames don't have that flexibility to put two bonafide scoring lines on the ice (at least, not by natural means.)  Right now, Hudler cannot produce when he's off Gaudreau's line so they're stuck.

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

Forget about Backlund in the top six because if we want to win Cups, our second line Center has to have high end offensive abilities and be a scoring threat all the time.  Backlund is not this guy.  Bennett has the potential to be.  What we need is to find Bennett a high end RW who can also float to the top line if necessary.

What i'm proposing doesn't mean Hudler has to go.  He's just not a core guy who is flexible and can carry a line by himself.  We need a bonafide RW.

I like this build,

Kane - Toews - RW

LW - Sharp - Hossa

What's great is you've got the option to top load one line or spread it out between two. If the Flames don't ever find that star first line RW, then the Flames don't have that flexibility to put two bonafide scoring lines on the ice (at least, not by natural means.) Right now, Hudler cannot produce when he's off Gaudreau's line so they're stuck.

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

Forget about Backlund in the top six because if we want to win Cups, our second line Center has to have high end offensive abilities and be a scoring threat all the time. Backlund is not this guy. Bennett has the potential to be. What we need is to find Bennett a high end RW who can also float to the top line if necessary.

What i'm proposing doesn't mean Hudler has to go. He's just not a core guy who is flexible and can carry a line by himself. We need a bonafide RW.

The issue here is that Sharp plays LW not C. Also Kane plays RW. Chicago has managed to defy the odds a bit by winning without a good 2nd line center.

The issue here is that Sharp plays LW not C. Also Kane plays RW. Chicago has managed to defy the odds a bit by winning without a good 2nd line center.

When the Blackhawks were winning Cups, Sharp played all 3 positions technically but mainly C.  He's lost a step now and i don't think he's played C much all season.  Anyways, the point is we need to put four stud forwards on the top 2 lines.

We have potentially 3.  We're close.

When the Blackhawks were winning Cups, Sharp played all 3 positions technically but mainly C.  He's lost a step now and i don't think he's played C much all season.  Anyways, the point is we need to put four stud forwards on the top 2 lines.

We have potentially 3.  We're close.

Echo my thoughts exactly, even if you take into account Tampa, they have 2 scoring lines that are dependable. Granted stamkos has not been scoring all playoffs, but you need that secondary scoring line to really step in and be a threat if you want to win. LA had it with that 70s line, chicago has it, tampa has it etc etc.

Scoring isn't really a concern, we finished the year with the 6th best offense in the regular season and the 5th best offense in the playoffs.

We need to focus on defense. If we can keep the puck out of our zone more it will turn into even more offense.

Scoring isn't really a concern, we finished the year with the 6th best offense in the regular season and the 5th best offense in the playoffs.

We need to focus on defense. If we can keep the puck out of our zone more it will turn into even more offense.

Well we also ended up 12 overall for shots against in the reg season so our D was not as bad as most would believe.

Our FO% is still terrible(26th). This one stat with improvement, would go a long way to accomplish what you are asking for, which is to keep the puck out of our zone.

Archived