First things first....it's totally not weird at all that we still don't have a thread on Sean Monahan, right?

I've now filled that gap between Kanzig to Monahan.  I'll leave Monahan for someone else to create as I know there are a lot of passionate supporters out there (somewhere).

Morgan Klimchuk:

We picked this guy with the 28th pick overall, ahead of other available players such as Adam Erne, who was generally ranked 15th overall.

Unlike Poirier, I do have some defense to add to this pick.  I think Klimchuk has more upside than Erne, I think he plays in a tougher league, and Klimchuk was, in fact, rated by many as 31st overall.  So it's not like the Flames went off the board with him or anything.

He is also a native Calgarian.  And that really does mean something.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/morgan-klimchuk

Thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TSN was thinking he could be the next Steve Larmer.

We traded Iginla for him but at the same time, i think there's more pressure on Monahan to become a true #1 Center than there is pressure on Klimchuk to be the next Iginla.  I don't think many fans have that kind of expectation of Klimchuk and they really shouldn't either.  Also, due to the shocker pick of Poirier, there's more pressure for Poirier to live up to the pick position than there is pressure on Klimchuk to be the next Iginla.

Klimchuk's expectations are shelthered by Monahan and Poirier despite being a 1st round pick.  I think he's going to have amply time to develop properly and in the long run, may very well be the best guy we drafted in 2013.

I like Klimchuk. Yes I had some else rated higher, Hartman for the record, but I also though that whole group was pretty close so not really going to argue much. I did like Klimchuk at the under 18s as he seemed to be a guy that can play all over. At the camp he displayed some excellent and super quick hands but sometimes too quick. If he can stay within himself he's going to be a dangerous one on one player. At the scrimmage he was very impressive downlow on the cycle and was very though to remove from the puck and he seems to be able to create off of that.

I like the Klimchuk pick, I watched one of his games this past year on Sportsnet and came away really impressed. He's a good skater has some good hands and can make plays, he also doesn't shy away from contact.

I also like the way he handles himself in interviews he seems very mature, and seems like the kind of person that gets along with everyone.

I loved the fact that McKenzie polled some draft eligible players and Klimchuk was picked as the player that most would want to play with, that says a lot about the kind of player and person he is.

It really seems like Calgary has put a huge emphasis on character with regards to drafting and I think that is what is going to differentiate this rebuild from Edmonton's and what is going to make Calgary's more successful. I am a believer that the combination of skill and character beats straight up skill every day. 

I like the Klimchuk pick, I watched one of his games this past year on Sportsnet and came away really impressed. He's a good skater has some good hands and can make plays, he also doesn't shy away from contact.

I also like the way he handles himself in interviews he seems very mature, and seems like the kind of person that gets along with everyone.

I loved the fact that McKenzie polled some draft eligible players and Klimchuk was picked as the player that most would want to play with, that says a lot about the kind of player and person he is.

It really seems like Calgary has put a huge emphasis on character with regards to drafting and I think that is what is going to differentiate this rebuild from Edmonton's and what is going to make Calgary's more successful. I am a believer that the combination of skill and character beats straight up skill every day. 

Bolded part right here, but just to add to it, Feaster and Co were more so looking for talented guys with the "warrior spirit".  I think they were successful over this draft in doing that and I really think this will be the key to a successful and fairly quick turn a round in just 2-3 years as this core matures and grows.  

Heck, I can see us turning things around before Edm at this rate lol!

• 3 months later...

Watched Klimchuk the other night. He had two points goal and assist and a shoot out goal. Looked good, was by far the best player on the ice. Good positioning, great defensive skills, solid passer and good vision. Should be a good prospect, not sure he makes in the big show, due to lack of size.

I wasn't sure whether to bump this or start a thread in the Flames Prospects forum....

But Klimchuk is 12th overall in the WHL right now...

Watched Klimchuk the other night. He had two points goal and assist and a shoot out goal. Looked good, was by far the best player on the ice. Good positioning, great defensive skills, solid passer and good vision. Should be a good prospect, not sure he makes in the big show, due to lack of size.

I think he is making a strong case for the WJC.  How awesome would it be to have all 3 first round picks in the tourney.  It was a shame we didn't get a chance to see him in the preseason.

Klimchuk has an 11-game points streak going on. He might not be the flashy scoring type, but he's going to be a heck of a player. Does all the little things right and is a great teammate. Some prospects have a better shot, are better playmakers or are faster, but Klimchuk combines all of them in an economically friendly package. :)

Of all the players we selected last year, I felt Klimchuk was the best bang for buck. Monahan is a better prospect, but he was picked with a far more valuable pick. At 28th, to get the kind of player Klimchuk is and could develop into? I'm not gonna call it a steal because he hasn't proven anything yet, but that's good value IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Klimchuk get passed over for the subway super series despite the strong start?

I haven't even seen the roster announcement for the WHL yet, so I wouldn't panic.  The Q is playing first, so it makes sennse they announced their roster early.  At least that is the way I read it.

Klimchuk did not get passed over, and was named to Team WHL for the subway super series a couple of days ago.

He also posted a natural hat trick last night. If that wasn't impressive enough, 1 of those goals was at even strength, 1 of those goals was on the powerplay, and 1 of them was short handed. He is really looking like a well balanced player.

Lets just say I'm loving our first round picks so far :D

ST. LOUIS, MO -- Calgary Flames 2013 first round draft pick Morgan Klimchuk has been named to the WHL Subway Super Series roster.

The winger, who was selected 28th overall this past summer, will play in both games against the Russians this month. Game 1 takes place on Nov. 27th in Red Deer while Game 2 takes place on Nov. 28th in Lethbridge.

Klimchuk is the Regina Pats leading scorer through 19 games with 10 goals and 24 points. He is currently averaging 1.26 points-per-game, leading all Pats skaters.

Emile Poirier, drafted 22nd overall in 2013, will suit up for the QMJHL in the Subway Super Series.

Nice to see our other 2 first round picks are off to a good start and are going to be playing in the Subway Super Series.

• 1 month later...

I did a topic search of the forum and much to my surprise there is no topic thread for Morgan.

With the recent 3 year entry level contract signing I thought now was as good a time as any to correct this.

:D Congratulations to Morgan Klimchuck! :D 

Personally, I look forward to seeing Morgan in a Flames jersey on a regular basis soon!

I did a topic search of the forum and much to my surprise there is no topic thread for Morgan.

That's because it's meant to be in the prospects thread, which I've moved and merged with the original Klimchuk thread.

For future reference, any prospect threads should be started here in the Abbotsford Heat and Calgary Flames Prospects thread. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Klimchuk hasn't lost a step after returning from injury earlier this month.  Had a goal and two assists tonight in a 6-2 win over the Blades and is riding a 5 game point streak since coming back from injury putting up 2 goals and 6 assists in the last 5 games!

Now sitting with 14G, 23A, 37PTS in 31GP or 1.20 points per game average which would put him in the top 20 in the WHL in that statistic

• 2 months later...

Archived