• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not the case now as apparently he's been assigned there now that the Pats are done.  I believe he can as long as he's under contract and his junior team is finished.

Source? flames and heat websites say nothing.

This is the best I could find to support Senor's statement (linky-poo: http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/29/bryce-van-brabant-brings-grit-to-calgary-flames)

Meanwhile, Morgan Klimchuk, the Flames third first-round pick in the ’13 draft, 28th overall, is to report to the AHL team Sunday, says CTV reporter Darrell Romuld. Klimchuk and the Regina Pats were eliminated from the playoffs by the Brandon Wheat Kings.

' class="bbc_url">@

According to @gdrinnan Morgan Klimchuk @NHLFlames prospect has been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. @gdrinnan makes few errors, bet he's right.

— Roger Millions (@RogMillions) March 30, 2014

This and what Kulstad has posted, plus stuff from CP, nothing concrete of yet.  Just saying nothing against him playing out the year down there.

• 7 months later...

I saw Klimchuk play live tonight. He seems to be as advertised. He has good puck possession skills and plays very well in all three zones. He back checks very well and plays hard as well, so he should fit into the team culture we are building.

He'll be an NHL'er for sure.  I just don't see him as more than a 3rd line guy.  I see a Backlund style checking game 2-way game with more offensive upside.

And there is nothing wrong with that, if he can stay healthy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Four point night last night!  He will probably be the Flames "Prospect of the Week" this week and maybe one the WHL 3 stars of the week as well.

Currently riding a 10 game point streak in which he has amassed 19 points in the 10 games, including 11 points in his last 4 games!!!

Looking like the move to Brandon was a good one as they are in position to have the best record in the WHL heading into the playoffs, so they should have a really good chance at the Memorial Cup!!

Way to go Morgan!  And don't forget Eric Roy is also on the Wheat Kings, and has put up 41 points in 60 games along with a +26, which is pretty solid for a defenseman.  

Good luck to both! 

I am just bumping this because it's like you Flames fans forgot about Klimchuk.  He is actually beyond Poirer in his development.  Just saying.

A couple of posters here stated they did not like his skating. A good portion of the posters on these boards has given up hope on him because of that.

Personally I don't think it fair to compare development of the two just yet. Poirier spent almost all this season in AHL and Klimchuk is in the WHL.

I'll wait until both have a bunch of NHL games under their belt to make the decision who is farther along...

A couple of posters here stated they did not like his skating. A good portion of the posters on these boards has given up hope on him because of that.

Personally I don't think it fair to compare development of the two just yet. Poirier spent almost all this season in AHL and Klimchuk is in the WHL.

I'll wait until both have a bunch of NHL games under their belt to make the decision who is farther along...

Yeah yea yea, I just needed to start a snarl, to get people to remember that Klimchuk, is a TOP 5 prospect on the Calgary Flames.  

Poirer was the one who was drafted before, yet ranked behind

Klimchuk.

Time will tell.

I like Poirer, but I just like Klimchuk better.  Just sayin.

That's crazy to me someone would comment negatively on Klimchuks skating. He is a wicked skater an is easily the most shifty of any flames forward prospect in the minor. Porier has more straight line speed but I would call Klimchuk the better skating because IMO foot speed, acceleration, and your ability to cut and move late all all go into the assessment.

Klimchuk hasn't made any noise that's why he's forgotten. Poirier went to the AHL and played well as a rookie so that is a milestone we can talk about. Klimchuk is back in juniors, got hurt again to start te season and then didn't make team Canada. Hasn't been a lot to discuss but I agree and still really like Klimchuk and the fact that he has found another gear offensively is encouraging. He was plateauing there for a while.

That's crazy to me someone would comment negatively on Klimchuks skating. He is a wicked skater an is easily the most shifty of any flames forward prospect in the minor. Porier has more straight line speed but I would call Klimchuk the better skating because IMO foot speed, acceleration, and your ability to cut and move late all all go into the assessment.

Klimchuk hasn't made any noise that's why he's forgotten. Poirier went to the AHL and played well as a rookie so that is a milestone we can talk about. Klimchuk is back in juniors, got hurt again to start te season and then didn't make team Canada. Hasn't been a lot to discuss but I agree and still really like Klimchuk and the fact that he has found another gear offensively is encouraging. He was plateauing there for a while.

Two completely different players in my book. Klimchuk reminds me of a well-rounded Baertschi. I would think he would fit on the wing of a player like Backlund (once he gets to the NHL). He will score a lot, but be there to prevent goals.

Poirier I see as a dominant north/south player, that will do more in the scoring department, and be a handful to stop.

He went from an average team to a top team in the WHL.

His stats are going from average to great.

To me, there's nothing too impressive with this story.  It would be impressive if he went from a great team to an average team and his stats went up.  At least his stats didn't go down so that's a relief.

Two completely different players in my book. Klimchuk reminds me of a well-rounded Baertschi. I would think he would fit on the wing of a player like Backlund (once he gets to the NHL). He will score a lot, but be there to prevent goals.

Poirier I see as a dominant north/south player, that will do more in the scoring department, and be a handful to stop.

Definetly different players and wasn't really making a comparison just noting the differences in skating.

He went from an average team to a top team in the WHL.

His stats are going from average to great.

To me, there's nothing too impressive with this story.  It would be impressive if he went from a great team to an average team and his stats went up.  At least his stats didn't go down so that's a relief.

It shows that he can produce on a great team.

It shows that he can produce on a great team.

...which has "some" value but i would take stock in that with caution.  Like Greg Nemisz for example.

Sam Bennett went to Kingston and is scoring at 2-points-per-game pace.  Leon Draisaitl went to Kelowna and is scoring at 1.6-points-per-game.  So definitely, Bennett is more "wow" than Draisaitl because Kingston is barely playoff material while Kelowna is the #1 team in the WHL, maybe even without Draisaitl.

With Klimhuk though you seen to be suggesting he is a product of the team. Prior to the trade Klimchuk was operating at 1.1 points per game for a not very good Regina team and now has I created that to 1.46 at Brandon. Last season in the whl hr operated at a 1.3PPG avg.

It's not like Klimchuk has all of sudden started to put up points he's actually been very consistent in his junior career. Is he elite like Bennet or Drasaitl, probably not but no one is suggesting he is nor should he be given where the flames drafted him.

With Klimhuk though you seen to be suggesting he is a product of the team. Prior to the trade Klimchuk was operating at 1.1 points per game for a not very good Regina team and now has I created that to 1.46 at Brandon. Last season in the whl hr operated at a 1.3PPG avg.

It's not like Klimchuk has all of sudden started to put up points he's actually been very consistent in his junior career. Is he elite like Bennet or Drasaitl, probably not but no one is suggesting he is nor should he be given where the flames drafted him.

Klimchuk is a two way player, unlike a lot of the guys with good numbers (ie. p/gp). The test will be how he does in the AHL next season. I think you will probably see an "Arnold" type player, but add in the offense that a winger brings.

I think he is one of the more under-rated wingers in the AHL. He is not going to be a Ovi, but he may be a Bergeron (stats wise).

Archived