s4xon

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

While I do like the approach, and the writers of the article admit this too, this really hinges on Wolf. both in terms of their ranking for that article and their future in net. 

They think like me. You see Wolf play, and you go, "JFC, what even is this"? lol

He can give up 5 and you're still impressed.

I'm trying so hard to not be rose-coloured glasses. But damn. Anymore goalies coming out of the garlic capital of the world?

I have never seen a faster goalie, I swear. If there was one, let me know.

I really hope he crushes it.

Just think of the endless parade of cheesy one-liners due to his surname. The possibilities are endless. lol

the thing is, Wolf could hit his prime 5 years from now.

So, it doesn't just hinge in Wolf, it hinges on the Flames, the GM as well.

Our past record with goalies like this is they have a bad stretch and we let them  go for nothing.

The ideal situation is he has serious development struggles for 2-3 years, which we use to get tremendous draft picks.     Then he finds his NHL game.

Him knocking it out of the park this year would actually be a Huge problem for us.   And management giving up on him early would Also be a huge problem for us.

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They think like me. You see Wolf play, and you go, "JFC, what even is this"? lol

I'm trying so hard to not be rose-coloured glasses. But damn. Anymore goalies coming out of the garlic capital of the world?

Just think of the endless parade of cheesy one-liners due to his surname. The possibilities are endless. lol

I was like that with Kipper before he was with the Flames. When ever I saw him play in San Jose I wanted him to be with the flames. You could just tell.

54 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Agree with all of this. 

I happen to believer he'll be fine. What the upside is i'm not sure but I don't think he's going to crash and burn. Just too technically talented. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Agree with all of this. 

I happen to believer he'll be fine. What the upside is i'm not sure but I don't think he's going to crash and burn. Just too technically talented. 

I try, unsuccessfully, to remain quietly hopeful, but I'm kind of bursting at the seams ahead of schedule.

You just don't see a goalie move like that. You just don't.

I think he's bringing something new. Who knew your goalie would have the best edges on the entire team? Maybe even league.

I should pull back though, and remember that Beatles interview.

"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world"?

"The world? He's not even the best drummer in the band". lol

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

the thing is, Wolf could hit his prime 5 years from now.

So, it doesn't just hinge in Wolf, it hinges on the Flames, the GM as well.

Our past record with goalies like this is they have a bad stretch and we let them  go for nothing.

The ideal situation is he has serious development struggles for 2-3 years, which we use to get tremendous draft picks.     Then he finds his NHL game.

Him knocking it out of the park this year would actually be a Huge problem for us.   And management giving up on him early would Also be a huge problem for us.

Ya I hope Wolf comes along and establishes #1 status but at the same time, we need to pick top 4 to get a chance at a #1C at the draft.  Timing couldn't be worse.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I hope Wolf comes along and establishes #1 status but at the same time, we need to pick top 4 to get a chance at a #1C at the draft.  Timing couldn't be worse.

I've said it before, I wouldn't be above trading Wolf.    But on two conditions:

-for a high price only.  Definitely some firepower in the next few drafts 

-that we still have a solid plan in net.   And that's why I want acquisition of more under 20 years of age.

The most likely scenario though, really, is that he struggles his first few years and we do just fine at the draft.   In that scenario, I just hope we don't give up on him.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Depends on how you see the d core.

I think Wolf will play well next year but I don't think his numbers are going to be good. patience is going to be critical with Wolf based on the roster right now IMO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I should pull back though, and remember that Beatles interview.

"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world"?

"The world? He's not even the best drummer in the band". lol

Interesting! I recall Angus Young being voted the best rock guitar player in a magazine at some point in the 80s, and in his interview, he said, "Best guitar player? I'm not even the best guitar player in AC/DC!"

Love.

• Haha 1

Pretty fair deal for Wolf. The body of work at the NHL level is still limited so the contract was never going to be massive. I did wonder if it would be something las high 1.25x2. But to get him for another two seasons at ELC money is tidy.

It's going to be tough for Wolf's basic stats to jump off the page. Not going to be a great environment for a goalie in Calgary. If he can be a .900, that's very good for his first full season. I think we're going to see a lot of 4 goals on 37 shot type night. It doesn't look great statistically, but that's a significant shot total in a regular season game.

IDK…goalie can steal games, and let’s be honest the wrangles were not good before Wolf.  They had poor D the entire time he was there and his forwards were mostly ok not great till the last few years.

now granted i believe Wolf’s first full

season in the AHL was not great, but then he dominated.

With that in mind it’s hard to say if his taste of NHL action was enough adjustment time or if he’s gonna need a full season this year…I kinda get the feeling Conroy expects him to have a fair bit of inconsistency issues and a bad stretch this season which leads me to think they want to let him fight it out, send him back to the AHL for a stint and then bring him back with the hopes he’s figured it out.  I feel they wanted the flexibility to send Wolf down this year in case the team is horrible and they don’t want to risk damaging his confidence too much.

smart extension, for both team and player.

personally i expect wolf to play a lot in the first 1/2…have a stint in the AHL and then come back after TDL and be a lights out goalie from there on out for his career 

First non ELC negotiation so the club has all of the leverage. While I do think Wolf played well last year it's a really small sample size so you can't argue he's arrived yet. So with him having no arbitration rights and being waiver exempt, he's really got nothing to negotiation with except holding out and I think he knows that would likely hurt him more than the Flames. 

Team friendly deal but that's the nature of the circumstances you have when you are coming off your ELC. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

He was top goalie in the AHL his rookie year.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

His trophy case has gotta be impressive over the last 5 years. Time to pound out some more. lol

He didn't win top goalie of either league this year.  Bust.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

IDK…goalie can steal games, and let’s be honest the wrangles were not good before Wolf.  They had poor D the entire time he was there and his forwards were mostly ok not great till the last few years.

With that in mind it’s hard to say if his taste of NHL action was enough adjustment time or if he’s gonna need a full season this year…I kinda get the feeling Conroy expects him to have a fair bit of inconsistency issues and a bad stretch this season which leads me to think they want to let him fight it out, send him back to the AHL for a stint and then bring him back with the hopes he’s figured it out.  I feel they wanted the flexibility to send Wolf down this year in case the team is horrible and they don’t want to risk damaging his confidence too much.

smart extension, for both team and player.

personally i expect wolf to play a lot in the first 1/2…have a stint in the AHL and then come back after TDL and be a lights out goalie from there on out for his career 

could want him to play games in the aHL in between NHL starts? Too different t leagues? 

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

could want him to play games in the aHL in between NHL starts? Too different t leagues? 

I think it is pretty difficult to do with the schedule, even when the NHL takes 2 weeks in February the Wranglers only play 3 games.  I think it would make some sense if you had a #1 that you could work out a schedule in advance for back up games, but right now the #1 is up for grabs and I don't know if Vladar is going to run at 50+ games.

41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think we should plan for 35 starts for Wolf this season to ease him in.  Keep him in NHL all season.

Biggest "problem" is, what if the losses pile up... Or even worse, the wins pile up.

Yeesh. From his NHL bio:

NOTES & TRANSACTIONS

• CHL Goaltender of the Year (2020)
  • WHL West First All-Star Team (2019, 2020)
  • WHL U.S. Division Player of the Year (2021)
  • AHL All-Rookie Team (2022)
  • AHL First All-Star Team (2022, 2023)
  • Aldege "Baz" Bastien Award (AHL Outstanding Goaltender) (2022, 2023)
  • Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award (AHL fewest goals against) (2023)
  • Les Cunningham Award (AHL MVP) (2023)

Who could ask for any more from a 7th? Shades of Pekka Rinne?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think we should plan for 35 starts for Wolf this season to ease him in.  Keep him in NHL all season.

Biggest "problem" is, what if the losses pile up... Or even worse, the wins pile up.

He's only needing to adjust to the NHL speed and grit.  Nothing that AHL games will get him.  When you dominate for as long as he did in jr and AHL, there is zero reason to hold him back.  He would regress more by doing that.  He's gonna lose games, but that as much on the team as anyone else (see CGY 2023/24).  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's only needing to adjust to the NHL speed and grit.  Nothing that AHL games will get him.  When you dominate for as long as he did in jr and AHL, there is zero reason to hold him back.  He would regress more by doing that.  He's gonna lose games, but that as much on the team as anyone else (see CGY 2023/24).  

Give him time to get familiar with the NHL. He's easily confident enough.