s4xon

If it were me, i'd start Talbot on Tuesday. Not just because of load management but because I think its important to get both your goalies games early to let them see some pucks and game action. Don't really like the philosophy of sitting Tablot for 3 weeks before you play him again. 

I don't really have concerns with managing Rittich. I think you can easily manage the schedule for hit the 55 ish games the Flames are likely targeting for him, but that still means almost 30 games for Talbot, which is why I think you want to get him sharp too. 

The thing I see is that Kipper was as calm and collected as any goalie ever as opposed to the likes of Roy and Hasek, always shook off the bad goals and the pepperings he got.  If BSD can stay focused during the worst of times then he could do 60+ games. If you start to see agitation then maybe spell him off, I know most goalies say the bad ones dont get to them but thats what Smith seemed to think and look at the results there.

Gone are the days of goalies playing 70+ games, and now it's rare for a goalie to play 60+ games. I think asking Rittich to play much more than 50 games would be a mistake. 

If you look at past 10 Cup winning teams their starters for the most part are goalies that have played fewer than 55 games in the regular season.

The goal isn't just making the playoffs this year, we need to make sure Rittich has enough left in the tank to go on a deep playoff run, why burn him out in the regular season?

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Its hard to put into words how happy this makes me. So thankful the Flames moved on. 

I'm not happy with the Lucic trade, but I will let the season unfold before I say it was a mistake.

Passing on Smith was a load off my mind.

He wouldn't be a good influence here this year.

He's only in EDM because he thinks he will get more than 40 starts.

He knows how bad Koskinen is.

I've had my fill of soft goals, flopping around in the crease, and having a heart attack watching him casually play the puck behind the net.

I don't even feel he made a difference in the COL series.

Does it make sense to count 3 saves off one shot, because he can't handle a rebound?

Mistake to start him.

Rittich may not have fared any better, but watching the season end with Smith in nets was hard to take.

They can choke on him.

Won't be long before he waves his arms after a goal.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Gone are the days of goalies playing 70+ games, and now it's rare for a goalie to play 60+ games. I think asking Rittich to play much more than 50 games would be a mistake. 

If you look at past 10 Cup winning teams their starters for the most part are goalies that have played fewer than 55 games in the regular season.

The goal isn't just making the playoffs this year, we need to make sure Rittich has enough left in the tank to go on a deep playoff run, why burn him out in the regular season?

I agree, it is rare for a goalie to be able to play 60+ games...   Kipper was Kipper, and he was a rare breed of goalie...   

Rittich is Rittich, and no one knows what his ideal workload is yet...   55 - 60 games might be his limit, time will tell...   But Rittich might be a workhorse in net by nature, and able to handle a heavier load...   It is possible he could need it, and feed off it...   He definitely has the potential...

Interesting thing to point out is not 1 Vezina nominee last year played more than 55 games. Now i do acknowledge that Vasilevsky getting hurt impacts that and 2 years ago all 3 nominees were at 60 games or over, but I do think it helps demonstrate that the idea of a starter or elite goalie needing to play 60 games or more isn't necessarily true. 

55-60 is the sweet spot for me personally.

41 minutes ago, Carty said:

I agree, it is rare for a goalie to be able to play 60+ games...   Kipper was Kipper, and he was a rare breed of goalie...   

Rittich is Rittich, and no one knows what his ideal workload is yet...   55 - 60 games might be his limit, time will tell...

I think my point was that Kipper could get the same amount of wins with less games played and then playing a backup more could probably get them into a groove and win more. 

I dunno, 

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think my point was that Kipper could get the same amount of wins with less games played and then playing a backup more could probably get them into a groove and win more. 

I dunno, 

I was a goalie, and wanted to play every game...   Sometimes towards the end of the season, if we were up by a few goals, the coach would go with the backup for the 3rd period, and it drove me nuts...   I was driven to want to always be on the ice, I felt that I had earned it, and more importantly that it gave our team the best chance of winning...

Some goalies are different, and for different reasons...   For instance, some can only take so much pressure, and then they get rattled, and I knew some of those over the years...   and that would also be one of the reasons why some goaltenders are only capable of a backup role...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Carty said:

I was a goalie, and wanted to play every game...   Sometimes towards the end of the season, if we were up by a few goals, the coach would go with the backup for the 3rd period, and it drove me nuts...   I was driven to want to always be on the ice, I felt that I had earned it, and more importantly that it gave our team the best chance of winning...

Some goalies are different, and for different reasons...   For instance, some can only take so much pressure, and then they get rattled, and I knew some of those over the years...   and that would also be one of the reasons why some goaltenders are only capable of a backup role...

But isn’t the goal of rest to help a goalie to maintain focus and to keep the body fresh, no fatigue? Decisions a player or goalie makes are also sometimes dependant on how fresh or rested the mind and body is.

one of the things Rittich did this summer was work on his stamina so hopefully that has improved. So that is a part of it, how much a goalie has done to prepare for the long season.

38 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Give Talbot the harder game against the Stars as a sort of measuring stick?

I personally don't think the Sharks are a harder game.

Besides, the schedule is as follows:

Tues LA @ CGY

Thurs CGY @ DAL

Sat CGY @ VGK

Sun CGY @ SJS

I would give Talbot DAL and SJS.

Doesn't really matter, since Vegas is the tougher team but the team will be tired against SJS.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

But isn’t the goal of rest to help a goalie to maintain focus and to keep the body fresh, no fatigue? Decisions a player or goalie makes are also sometimes dependant on how fresh or rested the mind and body is.

Some goalies benefit from a break, and others don't...   Fatigue was never a problem for me, but If I had tweaked something, than a short break made sense while it healed...    Otherwise it was easier to stay focused by staying busy playing the games...   I knew other goalies that felt the same way, and some that would get rattled from pressure, lose focus and then need a break...   I think that for a lot of goalies, it's whats going on in their head more than getting tired that leads to problems...

That said, of course being in good shape physically is important...   Same as for any other position in hockey, or for that matter, any other sport...

• Like 1

would it help getting focused for the start of our games if we played the first five minutes without a goalie?? 5 forwards/a d man.. Would sure be exciting and team would have to work together to stay in offensive zone... Opening 6 players.. Gio/ Jonny/Lindy/ Monahan/Tkachuk. backlung

I think you have to go with Rittich. I get wanting to manage his load and getting Talbot in a game. But part of moving away from Smith was to show Rittich he is the guy. Tough to stay with that message if you don't start him after a two day break following a shutout. 

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

I think you have to go with Rittich. I get wanting to manage his load and getting Talbot in a game. But part of moving away from Smith was to show Rittich he is the guy. Tough to stay with that message if you don't start him after a two day break following a shutout. 

I agree. And BT has stated it's Rittich's net. Last year with Smith there, Smith wanted every start, and Rittich would defer to Smith. This year they've outright told Rittich, "it's your time".

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. And BT has stated it's Rittich's net. Last year with Smith there, Smith wanted every start, and Rittich would defer to Smith. This year they've outright told Rittich, "it's your time".

And so far, Rittich has not shown any bad tendencies.

He's playing exactly how you want him to.

Unlike the Happy Wanderer up north.

Play the way we did in front of him last year and he will shine.

I'm not as concerned about Talbot sitting as much as what his first game will look like.

Get some win out of the way and clamp down extra hard when he does get in.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Rittich has passed every test, now Zagidulin is starting to show he could too. Too early to think we may have antidotes for our decade long goaltending virus. lol

I was so stoked about that Zagidulin signing. Yeah, he was a 1b on a fairly good KHL team, and goalies tend to look really good in the KHL (because of the style played), but his play and fundamentals reminded me a lot of Rittich as well (all the tools, and the skills, to make the NHL. Maybe not the flashiest, but definitely a good goaltender).

Really hoping in a couple years we have a medium-term (I say medium, but like 4-5 years) duo of Big Save Dave and Big Snag Zag in net.

• 2 weeks later...

Rittich SA% is 22nd best in the league, one position above Smith, and BP feels he needs to ride him 7 of 8 games? Common already lets get Talbot in there and see what he's got. Some pleased with the way Rittich has been stopping the puck but his puck handling skills is a train wreak and he still has some leaning to do. Talbot should get equal opportunity.