s4xon

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Indeed. And I am on the record saying I question his abilities as a starter. But now is the time to see what you have. The reigns can be taken away anytime it gets to be too much. And you never know, maybe he does have the ability.

So your formula would be to ride him until he loses something like 3 games in a row ? then what, you say I told he is no starter. I would rather BP feel it out and stay with a more balance approach to keep Smith's head in the game. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

He was good as backup last season too but once given the reigns, he was overwhelmed.  

Yeah, but last year was his first year in the league. Many starters go through what he did last year. Look at MAF. At times he couldn’t even stop a beach ball. Hellybuck went through it in his first year. I think Rittich’s samole size is too small to judge.

i don’t see him as being any worse than Reimer. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think you stick with the 1A 1B for now, you just flip who the A and the B are and Rittich gets more of thenstsrts. 

Still plenty of time of make him the starter if he earns it. 

For the short term I agree. Rittich has earned the right to have a bad game with no effect.

He's near putting on a clinic of goaltending 101.

And god knows he's the most jubilant guy when we win.

Some goalies are really struggling with the narrower gear.

Rittich doesn't seem to be one of them. Fundies are the same.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

So your formula would be to ride him until he loses something like 3 games in a row ? then what, you say I told he is no starter. I would rather BP feel it out and stay with a more balance approach to keep Smith's head in the game. 

I didn't suggest anything of the sort. Not everything needs to be an argument. Lighten up. 

I would give him a few games and take it from there. Is he a good starter? A good backup? Is he a decent option to be part of a 1A/B tandem? Well, he is playing well and Smith isn't. So now is a good time to give him a string of games to find out. 

And no, 1 bad game isn't going to answer the question anymore then one good game will.

18 hours ago, kehatch said:

I didn't suggest anything of the sort. Not everything needs to be an argument. Lighten up. 

I would give him a few games and take it from there. Is he a good starter? A good backup? Is he a decent option to be part of a 1A/B tandem? Well, he is playing well and Smith isn't. So now is a good time to give him a string of games to find out. 

And no, 1 bad game isn't going to answer the question anymore then one good game will.

Just trying to follow along.

Some interesting stats for Ritter:

2nd in Win% of starts with .857, just behind Korpisalo.

2nd in GAA with 1.92, just behind Rinne.  Factor in the PITTS game's 3 goals.

4th in SSA% with .933, behind Rinne, Halak and Andersen.

What has Ritter said he needs to work on?  Shoot outs.

Get the man a steak and a few Cokes.

On 11/11/2018 at 11:49 AM, DirtyDeeds said:

You can not just send players to AHL for a conditioning stint to bypass waivers, even for a short time.. Even if they agree.

Commissioner looks into all conditioning stints because it is basically a loan of a NHL player to another league.

14cdc92bb58236ecdc3323e3a2ddd5d2.png

Deeds, I wanted to circle back to this.  Prout has been loaned to the Heat on a conditioning stint.  He's not injured.  He's waiver eligible.

How is that any different than what I had suggested for Smith last week?

He can play a maximum of 7 games in Stockton.

.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #FlamesNHLFlames.png have loaned defenceman Dalton Prout to the @AHLHeat on a conditioning assignment.
Quote from FN:

This assignment allows him to get some game action in, potentially seven (assuming he plays tonight, but that’s unlikely) games at most during the two-weeks allowed by the CBA for conditioning stints.

It’s an interesting move as Prout needs waivers to be assigned full time to Stockton, so a conditioning assignment seems to suggest that the Flames think he might get claimed on waivers. He still counts as part of the 23-man roster and against the Flames salary cap during his conditioning stint.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Deeds, I wanted to circle back to this.  Prout has been loaned to the Heat on a conditioning stint.  He's not injured.  He's waiver eligible.

How is that any different than what I had suggested for Smith last week?

He can play a maximum of 7 games in Stockton.

.@CortexBusiness Transaction Alert: The #FlamesNHLFlames.png have loaned defenceman Dalton Prout to the @AHLHeat on a conditioning assignment.
Quote from FN:

This assignment allows him to get some game action in, potentially seven (assuming he plays tonight, but that’s unlikely) games at most during the two-weeks allowed by the CBA for conditioning stints.

It’s an interesting move as Prout needs waivers to be assigned full time to Stockton, so a conditioning assignment seems to suggest that the Flames think he might get claimed on waivers. He still counts as part of the 23-man roster and against the Flames salary cap during his conditioning stint.

I think when a player sits for so long they can get loaned to get into game shape. I don’t know how long they’re allowed to play, but I assume Rittich would have to get a long string of starts for Smith to get sent down. 

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think when a player sits for so long they can get loaned to get into game shape. I don’t know how long they’re allowed to play, but I assume Rittich would have to get a long string of starts for Smith to get sent down. 

Well, I don;t know that number of games sat makes any difference.

My initial idea was picking up a backup or guy like Mrazic and sending Smith down until he got his game back.

Limit is 7 games played in the AHL.

Anyway, they won;t be doing that.

Was just one of those thoughts to improve the team.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I don;t know that number of games sat makes any difference.

My initial idea was picking up a backup or guy like Mrazic and sending Smith down until he got his game back.

Limit is 7 games played in the AHL.

Anyway, they won;t be doing that.

Was just one of those thoughts to improve the team.

Sounds like grasping at straws when the situation we have can be managed here.

Conditioning stint is theoretically possible with Smith, but probably not practical. The key thing with any conditioning stint is the player has to agree and why would Smith agree to go to the AHL? Prout makes sense, he's literally sitting here doing nothing, but Smith is still playing and will continue to play. You also have a roster limit issue, as with Prout he's an extra body but you would need to call up someone to replace Smith. So who do you send down, and likely expose to waivers, just to try and get Smith a few games? That potentially gets you into a situation where you are circumventing waivers and to Deeds point that is where the commissioner can step in. That being said, conditioning stints happen somewhat frequently and I don't recall a circumstance the league has stepped in. 

Possible but not probable. 

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Sounds like grasping at straws when the situation we have can be managed here.

It's an option if you have little confidence that he can turn it around.

Grasping at straws is continuing to manage starts the way they had been.

At least Rittich is being recognized as the go-to guy right now.

It will only last as long as he gets wins.  If it's a loss, Rittich may still get the next start.

Is that managing the situation with Smith or just recogniozing there is a problem?

If you think that the GM isn't looking for a solution, you would be mistaken.  He may not need to pull the trigger.  Yet.

But, he is aware that Smith might not recover.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It's an option if you have little confidence that he can turn it around.

Grasping at straws is continuing to manage starts the way they had been.

At least Rittich is being recognized as the go-to guy right now.

It will only last as long as he gets wins.  If it's a loss, Rittich may still get the next start.

Is that managing the situation with Smith or just recogniozing there is a problem?

If you think that the GM isn't looking for a solution, you would be mistaken.  He may not need to pull the trigger.  Yet.

But, he is aware that Smith might not recover.

Yeah I don't think so. I have more faith in the Coaches than anything you would come up with here. You assume a lot.

We actually are in a good spot for goal tending right now. With  Rittich playing well it should take some pressure off Smith. Smith will find his game how long it may last is unknown,but at least we have a tender that is playing well. Its a no brain-er Rittich goes in Vegas, which will be a good test once again. Pretty sure Vegas has not forgotten the last game

• Like 1