s4xon

1st people want to blame berra for most of his loses and get a better goalie, and now that we have Ortio that is just plain outplaying berra(AHL), You guys are wanting to ride berra. Ortio is above the curve on all of our goalies, but he's still only 22, He needs game time not sitting on the bench time.

If Ortio doesnt see a game, I hardly see this as a positive, Sure he gets to sit in net for practice's and such, But as every hockey player as ever said, practices are not game speed whether you want to try and emulate that or not. 

Ortio wants to be with the flames so do alot of the Heat players, But if they're not going to get ice time, its a waste of time being up.

• Like 1

1st people want to blame berra for most of his loses and get a better goalie, and now that we have Ortio that is just plain outplaying berra(AHL), You guys are wanting to ride berra. Ortio is above the curve on all of our goalies, but he's still only 22, He needs game time not sitting on the bench time.

If Ortio doesnt see a game, I hardly see this as a positive, Sure he gets to sit in net for practice's and such, But as every hockey player as ever said, practices are not game speed whether you want to try and emulate that or not. 

Ortio wants to be with the flames so do alot of the Heat players, But if they're not going to get ice time, its a waste of time being up.

Couldn't agree more!!! Ramo is solid and consistent... Berra not so much he makes amazing saves and lets some sloppy ones in... Its not like we are making the playoffs so why not give Ortio 5 games to try out at least!

• Like 1

I am sure Flames management would rather have Ortii playing down in the AHL right now, but with Ramo injured he was the next guy up. Berra played very well in Montreal last night and earned another start, if he plays poorly in Long Island then I am sure Ortio will get a shot in Philly.

We are talking about three games, its not like Ortio's development is going to be ruined if he sits for three games. Once the Olympic break comes he will be sent back down to get games with Abbotsford.

Even if we do not know what depth we have at the goalie position, I am very optimistic that the goalie question will be solved the next 2 years.

But Ortio shouldn't get a game on NHL level already. He is playing great in the AHL and he knows how to play in the AHL. Give him the feeling of the NHL without a game, that he knows what he has to develop, give the Flames coaching stuff a look at the prospect and show him the skills he needs for an NHL game. As someone has already mentioned he is just 22 and I don't think it will help his development, if he is thrown into an NHL game.

I believe Ortio knows that he has a future with the Flames, if he will play before the Olympic break or not. Give him the first NHL game next season. No more mulligans!

Even if we do not know what depth we have at the goalie position, I am very optimistic that the goalie question will be solved the next 2 years.

But Ortio shouldn't get a game on NHL level already. He is playing great in the AHL and he knows how to play in the AHL. Give him the feeling of the NHL without a game, that he knows what he has to develop, give the Flames coaching stuff a look at the prospect and show him the skills he needs for an NHL game. As someone has already mentioned he is just 22 and I don't think it will help his development, if he is thrown into an NHL game.

I believe Ortio knows that he has a future with the Flames, if he will play before the Olympic break or not. Give him the first NHL game next season. No more mulligans!

I think, if you give him a game or two the Flames would get a sense of what he needs to work on against NHL opponents. He would get his summer assignment of what to work on over the summer.

Roy has been playing better than I expected with the Heat, as they have won 3 out of the last 4 games...

Roy might even be ahead of Brossoit in his development curve, which would make the deal for Smid even better...

Roy looks to be ahead of Brossoit in his development curve, which makes the Smid trade look even better.
Roy looks to be ahead of Brossoit in his development curve, which makes the Smid trade look even better.

Roy has been playing better than I expected with the Heat, as they have won 3 out of the last 4 games...

Roy might even be ahead of Brossoit in his development curve, which would make the deal for Smid even better...

Roy is definetly ahead of Brossoit and was not a throw in as some thought. I personally think Brossoit has more upside but it's very debatable as to who actually received the better prospect. Roy was a really nice pickup to maintain the depth in goal IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Roy is definetly ahead of Brossoit and was not a throw in as some thought. I personally think Brossoit has more upside but it's very debatable as to who actually received the better prospect. Roy was a really nice pickup to maintain the depth in goal IMO.

I think Brossoit was the better prospect at the time of the trade. He still is. In fact I think there is a reasonable chance Roy isn't given a qualifying offer. His technical skills aren't very good and despite some great starts he has had some real stinkers as well.

That said, goalies are unpredictable so who knows who ends up with the best goalie in the end. There is a real chance neither is am NHL goalie.

While Berra appears to have a higher ceiling, Ramo is still our safest bet moving ahead.  Berra can steal a goal or two but he is too raw and prone to weak goals.  Ramo does all the expected stuff well, he just doesn't make crazy saves.  Given the two, I would stick with Ramo for next season as the starter.  It's better to have consistency so the team can have something reliable to lean on in the net.

Ortio looked good against the Kings but would like to see a few more games from him before making a call on him.

Honestly at this point I'm not even sure if I'd bring Berra back next year. He may have upside but he lets in too many weak goals that arnt related to technique so I'm not sure it's something he can overcome. Is like to see ortio get another game or two but a Ortio/Ramo tandom, pending no upgrades, is an alright option in my opinion.

Ramos doesn't make the "crazy" saves, what have you been watching. this guy has looked like a young Kiprusoff at times.

I think he has been sound and will get nothing but better.

Berra has let in some soft goals for sure but there has also been times he has played great. Not sure I would give up on either one to take a chance on another potential prospect just yet. Ortio may come along but Im not sure its his time right now. 

I would look to resign Berra so we wouldn't lose him for absolutely nothing. he has a future in the NHL it just may not be with the Flames.

While Berra appears to have a higher ceiling, Ramo is still our safest bet moving ahead.  Berra can steal a goal or two but he is too raw and prone to weak goals.  Ramo does all the expected stuff well, he just doesn't make crazy saves.  Given the two, I would stick with Ramo for next season as the starter.  It's better to have consistency so the team can have something reliable to lean on in the net.

Ortio looked good against the Kings but would like to see a few more games from him before making a call on him.

Ramos doesn't make the "crazy" saves, what have you been watching. this guy has looked like a young Kiprusoff at times.

I think he has been sound and will get nothing but better.

Berra has let in some soft goals for sure but there has also been times he has played great. Not sure I would give up on either one to take a chance on another potential prospect just yet. Ortio may come along but Im not sure its his time right now. 

I would look to resign Berra so we wouldn't lose him for absolutely nothing. he has a future in the NHL it just may not be with the Flames.

Berra lacks fundamentals. Part of the reason he has a reputation for making spectacular saves is because he is forced to.  The goalies that make it look easy are usually the guys that are in the right position.  I don't see a future for Berra in the NHL.  

Ramo on the other hand looks good.  I don't know if he is a legitimate NHL starter or not.  But I would like to see how he does next season.  

I am neutral on Ortio.  He looked uncomfortable for the first half of the game.  But that is expected in an NHL debut.  I need to see him for a few more games before I have an opinion on him one way or the other.  

Personally I would put Ortio back to the AHL for one more season, not sign Berra at the end of the year, and trade for a youngish budget goalie this season that you know can play in the NHL and run a tandem of Ramo and the new guy.  

Berra lacks fundamentals. Part of the reason he has a reputation for making spectacular saves is because he is forced to.  The goalies that make it look easy are usually the guys that are in the right position.  I don't see a future for Berra in the NHL.  

Ramo on the other hand looks good.  I don't know if he is a legitimate NHL starter or not.  But I would like to see how he does next season.  

I am neutral on Ortio.  He looked uncomfortable for the first half of the game.  But that is expected in an NHL debut.  I need to see him for a few more games before I have an opinion on him one way or the other.  

Personally I would put Ortio back to the AHL for one more season, not sign Berra at the end of the year, and trade for a youngish budget goalie this season that you know can play in the NHL and run a tandem of Ramo and the new guy.  

I see we're still hung up on the quality of our goalies again...theres a few holes in your analysis.

Let me throw 5 names at you:

- Henrik Lundqvist

- Ryan Miller

- Pekka Rinne(healthy)

- Jonathon Quick

- Roberto Luongo ( yes I know we all hate the guy but theres a reason hes on here..give me a moment)

What do these 5 guys have in common? Out of 29 other teams, meaning 58 roster goaltenders..these are the ONLY 5 that would be worth addibg o our roster over the 2 we got.Why? Because they single handedly win games regardless of the team in front of them. The rest fit a system.Carey price would suck on this team..as would crawford, reimer, schneider, etc..etc...

Luongo msy be famous for losing the big ones, but ill give credit where its due. He thrives on lots of shots snd can keep gsmes closer than they deserve to be

We currently have 2 NHL QUALITY tenders.both have won more games single handedly for us than they have cost us and its only their first nhl season! Theyre only going to get better.! Unless you can score one of those top 5 guys then youre not going to imorove the system, in fact you'll only ruin whomever is brought in and spawn a "whats wrong with X thread.

What needs to happen is this:

1. Lock up Berra minimum one more year to match ramo and let next season determine #1 status

2. Run with Ortio one more year as big guy in abbotsford..love the kid, great future but needs to keep growing into the role. Call him up now permanent and he either rots on the bench or gets in over his head

3. Focus on building the D.

Until such time as we are the next St Louis, we have just as good a goaltending duo as any other team. We can make pkayoffs with this pair. When we discuss whether or not we can win a cup with them ill be happy to reevaluate that then.right now its moot.

If you seriously believe berra walks for nothing, give your head a shake

If what you suggested were sn option (trade for a dependable backup and cut Berra loose) why waste assets? We got one, his name is Joey macdonald

NHL quality goalies don't let in bad goals at the frequency Berra does. I will agree Ramo is an NHL calibre tender, although not sure how good he is/will be, but not Berra. As has mentioned before Berra is 27 so not sure why we should assume he will only get better. I agree with Kehatch and I think the flames should move on from him. Let him go to FA, very unlikely he gets any offers, and if you can't upgrade then you can always sign him later.