s4xon

Olivier Roy was just recalled from the Aces to Abbotsford. Anyone know what this is indicative of? Is one of Ortio/Macdonald hurt or might a trade involving one of our goaltenders be looming? I can't see Ortio being assigned to Alaska as he has been playing so well. 

Jmac is the most likely to be moved if there is a deal, but good chance too they want to give roy a few games at the ahl level to evaluate him a bit more. Hes definitely playing great in Alaska, so time to step him up a bit

Troy ward has mentioned he likes to run very uptempo and hard practices and there are home for the next two weeks or so with lots of days of in between so they'll be working very hard and practicing frequently as they typically don't get that opportunity due to travel schedules. I think Roy is there to keep goalies fresh in practice and for them to see him practice and work at he AHL level as they need to start somewhat of an evaluation process with him being an rfa this year.

That would make more sense.

It's no secret that Berra is the better goalie in one on ones and shoot outs.  However, Ramo retains better vision and side to side ability, which oddly enough is very similar to Kipper's style.  Ortio's style is very much the same as well.

Those Finns...

It's no secret that Berra is the better goalie in one on ones and shoot outs.  However, Ramo retains better vision and side to side ability, which oddly enough is very similar to Kipper's style.  Ortio's style is very much the same as well.

Those Finns...

I agree with you there, meh it's no secret i love Finnish goalies... 

But on a serious note i do think that Ramo is our starting goalie for sure. 

Ortio and the Heat just shut out the Hamilton Bulldogs 6-0, Jones with 2 goals in his first game since being sent down. I knew he would be a huge added spark for that team. Knight with a 3 point night (2G1A), and Granlund with 2 points (1G1A)

Ortio also jumped a few goalies in the standings with that shutout.

Ortio and the Heat just shut out the Hamilton Bulldogs 6-0, Jones with 2 goals in his first game since being sent down. I knew he would be a huge added spark for that team. Knight with a 3 point night (2G1A), and Granlund with 2 points (1G1A)

Ortio also jumped a few goalies in the standings with that shutout.

Excellent game all around.  Ortio has a bit of a mean streak, which I like.  It shows he's not going to lay down when someone crashes his net.  However, on the play, he was saved of the goal after being way out of position.

Baertschi with a beautiful assist as well.

Excellent game all around.  Ortio has a bit of a mean streak, which I like.  It shows he's not going to lay down when someone crashes his net.  However, on the play, he was saved of the goal after being way out of position.

Baertschi with a beautiful assist as well.

Yeah it was an awesome game to watch, Ortio seems like hes not afraid to drop the gloves, would be interesting to see a goalie fight with him in it. Just not against emery lol.

Lets hope they come on strong again tonight, back to back with the bulldogs again.

Man, Ortio is looking Great.

The best I've ever seen him.

Why I've Always been high on this guy, is not because he was the best goaltender every year.  It was the steady progression that made him so appealling to me.

Just look at his months in the AHL (and remember he Earned his way to the AHL, up from the ECHL):

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=4090

November:  .921

December:  .931

January:      .937

IMHO, at this moment in time he is becoming dangerously close to being the best goalie in the AHL.  And a very young one at that.

Same thing if you look at his performance in SM Liiga over the years:

2009:  .836

2010:  .911

2011:  .908 (not counting his stellar playoff performance.  And, on a much worse team)

2012:  .917

p.s....The Other exciting thing about Ortio, which could end up being even more important:

He has a reputation for rising to the occasion in playoffs and tournaments.

His playoff performance is almost Always a whole level higher than his regular season.

If this translates to the AHL, and then to the NHL....we should consider ourselves very fortunate indeed.

Just read on twitter that Joey MacDonald is out with concussion like symptoms after being hit in the head with a puck last week, hence Olivier Roy being called up. This also means that if Ramo is out for any length of time that Ortio could be making his NHL debut in the near future.

Just read on twitter that Joey MacDonald is out with concussion like symptoms after being hit in the head with a puck last week, hence Olivier Roy being called up. This also means that if Ramo is out for any length of time that Ortio could be making his NHL debut in the near future.

I was just thinking if Ramo is actually out a game or two they need to call someone up, Ortio could get a look at the NHL here real quick, but if we go down 2 goalies 1 on each team, wont we be short 1 even with Olivier Roy being up.

I have to wonder how serious the injury is to Ramo. Anyone heard?

Then we can ask such questions as:

- Will they call up Ortio? and will he get a start if he is called up?

- Would it be better to leave him in Abby? Would it be okay to be just the backup here for a short time?

Inquiring armchair GM's need to know......

• Like 1

From what I found Ramo is day to Day. Russell is or was game day with upper body

I have to wonder how serious the injury is to Ramo. Anyone heard?

Then we can ask such questions as:

- Will they call up Ortio? and will he get a start if he is called up?

- Would it be better to leave him in Abby? Would it be okay to be just the backup here for a short time?

Inquiring armchair GM's need to know......

Hopefully it was only a minor thing and the 2 days off means he would be ok to dress as backup to fill a bench while Berra plays the last 3 games before the Olympic break. 

If it is a more serious issue and he can't do that, or it is longer term than after the Olympics, I see a need to bring up a goalie for sure. If Joey Mac has a concussion then it has to be Ortio. This would put O.R. as the starter for the Heat and they would need to sign a tender to an AHL / ECHL type contract to fill the void.

I seem to recall that a couple of years ago, the Flames picked up a goalie to play a few AHL games due to injuries as well. For some reason I thought it was the Calgary Dino's goalie but that it was during pre-season. Not entirely sure how rules would work for regular season. I would assume University / college players would not be eligible even on an emergency basis. Most likely looking at signing an un-drafted 20 something recent CHL grad to an AHL tryout contract to fill the bench.

Maybe someone else has a better understanding of this sort of thing, but this is what I get out of it all.

I ran into this column on emergency backup goaltenders which turned out to be a very nice read:

http://ingoalmag.com/news/nhl-history-adds-another-unique-emergency-backup-goalie/

Hopefully it was only a minor thing and the 2 days off means he would be ok to dress as backup to fill a bench while Berra plays the last 3 games before the Olympic break. 

If it is a more serious issue and he can't do that, or it is longer term than after the Olympics, I see a need to bring up a goalie for sure. If Joey Mac has a concussion then it has to be Ortio. This would put O.R. as the starter for the Heat and they would need to sign a tender to an AHL / ECHL type contract to fill the void.

I seem to recall that a couple of years ago, the Flames picked up a goalie to play a few AHL games due to injuries as well. For some reason I thought it was the Calgary Dino's goalie but that it was during pre-season. Not entirely sure how rules would work for regular season. I would assume University / college players would not be eligible even on an emergency basis. Most likely looking at signing an un-drafted 20 something recent CHL grad to an AHL tryout contract to fill the bench.

Maybe someone else has a better understanding of this sort of thing, but this is what I get out of it all.

The NHL rules state this:

62c2647e7c051da4bce7a14669c8f3a6.png