s4xon

All I will say, DD, is that I don't necessarily think it's worth talking about Ramo, and Berra, and Jmac, over and over and over again.

Yet this thread is 26 pages long, and it's not because those three are doing well.

I have two reasons for bringing up Ortio's success more than once:

1.  Because it's actually happened more than once

2.  Because I'm getting tired of the repetitive talk about our goaltending woes.  Especially when we have worse defensive woes, and we actually have two, maybe 2.5, extremely promising goaltending prospects that are Not that far off in the big scheme of things.

I apologize for speaking negatively about Berra, but my focus is generally on how Ortio has taken advantage of that opportuntiy to once again showcase to everyone how good he really is.   That is what some in the industry call  a "positive thing".

I don't mean to insult anyone and I will shut up about Berra ahead of tonight's game.  I hope he proves me wrong.  But for the record, I was actually pre-emptively defending him.  We'll see soon enough whether he needs defending.

It matters, in a way, because it has the potential to crush Berra and destroy his confidence.

Either Berra is an NHL goalie or he isn't.  If he can't face the good teams, then he isn't.

I have no problem with him starting.

Also, it's not like Ramo is currently lighting it up - maybe a good game by Berra is just what Ramo needs too.

Finally, it's a rebuild - let's find out what we've got

Berra is going to get a chance to be the starter. Hartley has always had high praise for Berra, having coached against him in Switzerland. And if it were up to him we would have been rolling with Berra/Jmac to start the season.

On another note Brossoit recently had a shutout for the Aces.

I love it how we all agree 100% in mantra of giving a goaltender a fair shot and a decent number of games in the name of the rebuild.....

Depending on the goaltender.   Ramo....give the guy a chance.   Berra:  He's either got it or he doesn't. lol.

Ramo has had a chance, he's proven to be inconsistent. Berra, we will see. It's game 1 and looking very good. Let's see if he can do it for a stretch of 5 or so.

That was the first game this season where we won because our goalie was better then the other guy.  We have lost a couple because of the opposite.  Great first start by Berra. 

Overall I was impressed.  He seemed calm.  He didn't overplay.  Fast legs.  Good position.  Really good glove hand.  He directed most of his rebounds nicely.  No soft goals and a bunch of pretty big saves.  

I am not ready to anoint him as our goalie of the future.  But it was certainly a good start.  Not just the win, but his fundamentals seems good.  

I have always been a fan of big goalies - I think size is intimidating

My preferences have always been Gillies and Berra.

Well, his first day was a beauty. Hopefully this also fires Ramo up and we get some mo going.

Meanwhile, Ortio is playing well in Abby and Brossoit has been perfect for the Aces.

There's hope yet.

Berra looked great in his debut. Just a few personal observations:

Looks really big in net

great positioning, was never swimming in the crease like JMac

good rebound control, has that ability to absorb hard shots that all the good goalies have.

really good lateral movement (5-3 power play save was awesome)

quick glove hand,

and... looks really big in net!

With his size and speed, Berra looks more like a Pekka Rinne than a Henrik Karlsson.

I was thinking today about how many goalies we've had the past few years. Off the top of my head...

Kipper, Karlsson, Irving, Taylor, Macdonald, Ramo, Berra

Is that well above average? It seems high but I don't follow other teams' goaltending as much beyond their starter and backup. It seems like we've just had a revolving door looking for someone consistent, first to backup Kipper and now to take the reins. Maybe other teams have gone through just as many and I just can't remember most of them.

I was thinking today about how many goalies we've had the past few years. Off the top of my head...

Is that well above average? It seems high but I don't follow other teams' goaltending as much beyond their starter and backup. It seems like we've just had a revolving door looking for someone consistent, first to backup Kipper and now to take the reins. Maybe other teams have gone through just as many and I just can't remember most of them.

I think the biggest problem was managements reliance on Kipper. Our back ups had little chance to show what they could bring to the table.

The situation is completely different now and I hope they give all of our young guys a chance to fill that starter job. Best case scenario for me would be a 1A 1B tandem.

Berra looked great in his debut. Just a few personal observations:

Looks really big in net

great positioning, was never swimming in the crease like JMac

good rebound control, has that ability to absorb hard shots that all the good goalies have.

really good lateral movement (5-3 power play save was awesome)

quick glove hand,

and... looks really big in net!

With his size and speed, Berra looks more like a Pekka Rinne than a Henrik Karlsson.

Love big goalies - that's why I like Gillies, Berra and Brossoit in that order

To add to your post, I thought he got back up quickly, as opposed to Karlsson who would go down and stay down until someone cookie-shelfed it

I also was very surprised at how well he handled the puck. Ramo and MacDonald both scared the crap out of me and they (especially Mac) caused several goals against by coughing it up and putting added pressure on the D. Berra didn't handle it a lot (which is good) but when he did, he was calm and helpful.

Looking forward to seeing how he backs it up tomorrow.

To be fair, we only have had one starter in that bunch.  He has had the reins since 2004, and started the vast majority of games.  This is really the first year that we are searching for a new starter.  Our backups have not fared well over the years, but none of them really had "starter" potential (IMHO).  Sure we messed up with Irving, but he showed he couldn't even beat Taylor or Brust for the Heat job.

This year was supposed to be Ramo and Berra competing for #1 or #1a/1b, but we were stuck with McBackup to start the year.  That was just because coaching was not ready to commit to the rebuilding at the net 100%.  The Ramo/Berra tandem will at least show us how much we are in need, or at least provide us with some league (or below) average goaltending we lacked last year.  Combine that with the strong early showing by this team (no surrender) and we are not a bottom 5 team this year.  We have been somewhat lucky with shots against not killing us, but then again we have been better lately at the PK.

It's the norm when you don't have a quality starter anymore.

Lets use the last 4 years as an example so from 10-11 to 13-14

Oilers - khabby, dubnyk, labarbarra, gerber, danis, Bachman

Senators - m. Brodeur, lehner, mcelhenney, lecalire, Anderson, Elliot, auld, bishop,

Maple leafs - reimer, gs giggy, gustavsson, scrivens, bernier, rynnas,

Winnipeg has pavalec so it's just been a juggle for a backup

Montreal has price same idea

And Vancouver has had Lu and schnider

And that's just the Canadian teams. Factor in teams like Florida, Tampa bay, Columbus, Philly, islanders, who we all know has goaltending woes. It's just the norm till you can find someone who will fit into your system. Craig Anderson is a nice example of a goalie who wasn't bad but nobody saw him as great till he started stealing the show in Ottawa. And then you have the opposite effect and bryz was good in Anaheim, great in Phoenix and abysmal in Philly

Our system has been a goalie deathbed. We havent drafted and groomed a goalie with the intent of him being a solid franchise goaltender since Trevor Kidd, and once he claimed that spot Pierre Page destroyed him.

Since then we filled the #1 role with trades (tabaracci, wregget,Brathwaite, turek)

Then we got lucky on an emergency injury trade (kipper) so for the last 8 years, we drafted and groomed for a decent backup. Only irving and krahn were thought to have any starter ability And they were plugged into a system that had no emphasis on being a #1. Your big prize for bystibg your hump in the minors was to sit on a bench in calgary watching kipper play 80 games per year.

Proof of this was having goalies in the system on pure ahl contracts who were never even being thought of as even being nhl backups, and then playing them like starters

Now.. we're putting goalies in the system who are being told the job is open, come get it

This is only good news for the team and its future in net.