Ben Hanowski And Kenny Agostino

s4xon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From NCAA to NHL.  The only way I can see this happening is if he's the water boy.  He'd get creamed out there!  I don't put him in the big boy lineup until after he's spent AT LEAST half a season on the farm, and then only if there is absolutely no other option available, including signing a local as an emergency replacement (like the Canucks did with the U of C goalie the other night).

Don't boardinging rush the kids.....give them time to adapt as they grow, or we increase the risk of boardinging them up.

Nice to see him signed but i agree that it make no sense to put him in the NHL right away. He'll join the AHL next season and progress along a proper path not get rushed for no benefit to anyone.

Thirded. I know we're in transition and auditioning the youngsters but you have to give our prospects some kind of chance. Hopefully he'll prove a vital cog in Abby next year and progress from there...

Nice to see him signed but i agree that it make no sense to put him in the NHL right away. He'll join the AHL next season and progress along a proper path not get rushed for no benefit to anyone.

Screw that! If he has it he has it let him play right away!

However,

I say bring him in for the last few games and let him see what he needs to do to be an NHL regular.  I got a real good feeling about this kid and I think he'll be a regular 3rd line Ctr for us (and a good one at that), possibly even a decent 2nd line Ctr. Though I do agree, if he could do 1/2 the year in Abby would help to start, the confidence thing is huge as we have seen with Bear.

All thing being equal though, if he has what it takes out of the gate next season then what the hell,roll the dice and let him play with the big boys,  He's got that compete level to win, not just make it and that normally translates into a quick transition to the NHL and not so much the AHL.  

We must consider and accept the fact that we may have ruined a few of our prospects the past few years by keeping them in the A too long with all the oldtimers clogging our regular roster.  I see Hano being one of those guys you could actually ruin by putting him in the AHL if he is good enough for NHL duty now, and I think he actually may be good enough and thrive on the opportunity.

Feaster has confirmed that he will be playing in the NHL before seasons end.

I don't see this as such a bad thing.. I think alot of you forget how old he is. Hanowski is 22. He is a grown man and has the size to play at this level without getting hurt. Whats the harm in giving him a pressure free tryout since the season doesnt matter anymore? Not like it will "ruin his development". If anything it will give him the drive to keep improving himself in the offseason and make the team out of camp next year.

I like it and see no reason why he shouldnt be in the lineup for at least a couple of games.

Too bad for Hano and his team for not moving on to the final.  Can't have a cinderella story all the time.  I wonder if we will see a contract signing in the next few days, and maybe even a Hano jersey in the lineup? ^_^

I guess that answered my question.  Good to hear he will be tried out in the lineup too.  Awesome!  The Flames are already light on the RW, I really hope this kid pans out at the NHL level.  He seems like a stable minded guy and his big body helps too.

I guess that answered my question.  Good to hear he will be tried out in the lineup too.  Awesome!  The Flames are already light on the RW, I really hope this kid pans out at the NHL level.  He seems like a stable minded guy and his big body helps too.

He is a RW/C, correct? Thats what i thought since we traded for him, but the Calgary Flames listed him as a LW when they announced his signing: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=665538

Screw that! If he has it he has it let him play right away!

However,

I say bring him in for the last few games and let him see what he needs to do to be an NHL regular.  I got a real good feeling about this kid and I think he'll be a regular 3rd line Ctr for us (and a good one at that), possibly even a decent 2nd line Ctr. Though I do agree, if he could do 1/2 the year in Abby would help to start, the confidence thing is huge as we have seen with Bear.

All thing being equal though, if he has what it takes out of the gate next season then what the hell,roll the dice and let him play with the big boys,  He's got that compete level to win, not just make it and that normally translates into a quick transition to the NHL and not so much the AHL.  

We must consider and accept the fact that we may have ruined a few of our prospects the past few years by keeping them in the A too long with all the oldtimers clogging our regular roster.  I see Hano being one of those guys you could actually ruin by putting him in the AHL if he is good enough for NHL duty now, and I think he actually may be good enough and thrive on the opportunity.

Who exactly did they "ruin"? Becuase I think the "ruined" more prospects by brining them up too early then keeping some down there too long. I think rushing prospects is far more dangerous than keeping them in the A. I don't disagree they ddin't handle the transition from A to NHL well under Sutter but I can't think of 1 prospect that was "ruined" by it.

He is a RW/C, correct? Thats what i thought since we traded for him, but the Calgary Flames listed him as a LW when they announced his signing: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=665538

The writers at flames.nhl.com are a bunch of monkeys.  Constant spelling mistakes, wrong information and stats.  I used to be surprised since it's a professional NHL hockey club.  It doesn't surprise me anymore and that they got Hano's position wrong.

Who exactly did they "ruin"? Becuase I think the "ruined" more prospects by brining them up too early then keeping some down there too long. I think rushing prospects is far more dangerous than keeping them in the A. I don't disagree they ddin't handle the transition from A to NHL well under Sutter but I can't think of 1 prospect that was "ruined" by it.

I think what we're doing now is a good way of developing at the end of the season where we're not making the playoffs. Give the prospects a taste of the NHL. It allows management, coaches and the players gauge where they're at and what they have to work on. So, I don't think this is rushing them up by giving them some experience. Now they can get their assignments in the summer and work on specifics. 

If the heat make the playoffs, the players can be sent back down to play their roles on the heat and hope for a long run to get some experience in pressure games too.

I think what we're doing now is a good way of developing at the end of the season where we're not making the playoffs. Give the prospects a taste of the NHL. It allows management, coaches and the players gauge where they're at and what they have to work on. So, I don't think this is rushing them up by giving them some experience. Now they can get their assignments in the summer and work on specifics. 

If the heat make the playoffs, the players can be sent back down to play their roles on the heat and hope for a long run to get some experience in pressure games too.

Heat were unable to get a playoff berth, from earlier in the week. They only have 3 games remaing 1 tomorrow and 2 next weekend against the Barons.

Wild fan here, will we be seeing Hanowski tonight against the Wild?  I was going to read through some pages, but there are a lot here and I don't have that much time haha.

Congrats on landing this kid by the way.  I graduated from Little Falls HS a year before he did, amazing player to watch!

Wild fan here, will we be seeing Hanowski tonight against the Wild?  I was going to read through some pages, but there are a lot here and I don't have that much time haha.

Congrats on landing this kid by the way.  I graduated from Little Falls HS a year before he did, amazing player to watch!

Probably won't know for 100% certainty until the puck drops, but there's a lot of people around here who hope we see him tonight.  According to news reports, he was supposed to have arrived in Calgary on Sunday, so we'll see what happens.

Typically, somewhere around noon Calgary time, our local sports radio station will have Morning Skate updates, which usually include who's on the ice during practice, and what the line combinations are.  I would recommend keeping an eye on the Game Day Thread for tonight's game (found here)

Probably won't know for 100% certainty until the puck drops, but there's a lot of people around here who hope we see him tonight.  According to news reports, he was supposed to have arrived in Calgary on Sunday, so we'll see what happens.

Typically, somewhere around noon Calgary time, our local sports radio station will have Morning Skate updates, which usually include who's on the ice during practice, and what the line combinations are.  I would recommend keeping an eye on the Game Day Thread for tonight's game (found here)

Thank you so much.  I'll keep an eye on that then!

I saw he tweeted Saturday that he headed to Calgary on Sunday so I'd assume he will at least take place in team meetings before today's game.  I hope we see him though, if not they better have him on the Xcel Energy ice later this month!  :)

Thank you so much.  I'll keep an eye on that then!

I saw he tweeted Saturday that he headed to Calgary on Sunday so I'd assume he will at least take place in team meetings before today's game.  I hope we see him though, if not they better have him on the Xcel Energy ice later this month!   :)

He WILL be in the lineup tonight, wearing #58 i believe!

a Goal in his first game!, Congrats and a great chance at a second. Good to see. and love the locks, but sounds like they will be going away as he was growing it for charity.

NOOOOO not the hair! He looked good last night, and not just his hair, he looked nervous at first but after a couple of shifts, you could see him getting comfortable.

Reinhart and Hano have the noticeably wider bodies to bang and crash that we have been missing from the lineup.

Hano's skating seems a bit suspect at this point but he has the man size needed to compete. Strong against the boards and got the dirty inclose goal we havent seen alot of.

imo him and bouma are competing for a spot on the 4th line next year and in the end maybe both make it. Unlike guys coming from the AHL I can see Hano benefiting next year by being in a rotation somewhat as he is going to hit the wall trying to play an 82 game season. I really like what McGratton has brought to the team this year too though so I would like to see him in the mix there as well. It would serve some of our younger and smaller guys well knowing they got some meat on the bench to keep other teams in line.

They had a Martin Gelinas interview before yesterdays game on the Fan 960. He said he talked to Bens coach and asked him what we should expect. He got the reply "If you give him an inch in front of the net it is likely a goal".

We saw exactly that last night. I thought his skating looked choppy. I am thinking that is the first thing the Flames development will get him working on. Most of the other concerns I saw last night may not be concerns because he had no practice with the team and just a bunch of films time along with a skate before yesterdays game.

I'll look forward to his next game.

They had a Martin Gelinas interview before yesterdays game on the Fan 960. He said he talked to Bens coach and asked him what we should expect. He got the reply "If you give him an inch in front of the net it is likely a goal".

We saw exactly that last night. I thought his skating looked choppy. I am thinking that is the first thing the Flames development will get him working on. Most of the other concerns I saw last night may not be concerns because he had no practice with the team and just a bunch of films time along with a skate before yesterdays game.

I'll look forward to his next game.

I agree, his skating looks like it could use some work. That being said, I loved how big he looked out there and the fact that he goes to the front of the net and is capable of scoring some greasy, bang in goals. The Flames absolutely NEED that. I hope in the offseason he can work on that skating and come back faster and better next year. Still, will be good to see him next game once he has had a practice or two with the team!

Archived