Ben Hanowski And Kenny Agostino

s4xon

Relax, guys.

This is the best way I can explain the trade.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470740

Stemps played in college, and he didn't turn out too bad on the Flames.

BOTH guys have a better skill set than Sktempniak did when he was playing, from the highlights I've seen from his career.

So in otherwords... The trade was this:

A slightly better Stempniak (Hanowski)

A better Stempniak (Agostino)

1st Round Draft Pick (25-30th overall)

For:

Iginla.

I'm HONESTLY okay with that. Not the best return. I expect these two players to turn into 20 goal scorers.

If that is correct and these guys turn unto 20+ goalscorers for the Flames...

The trade looks like:

A 20 goal scorer

A 20 goal scorer

1st round pick

-

Iginla (30 goal scorer)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why fans are complaining about this deal. This deal gave us lots of depth in our prospect pool, and a couple of solid prospects. who cares if they are unknown. Horak isn't the best player the flames have, but he's done well considering a lot of people doubted him. Iginla was largely unknown. Give these guys a chance. I doubt that Jay would trade the corner stone player for two crappy prospects 

Hmm, just read the article posted about Hanowski. I bet what he really wanted to say was, I had a chance to play with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and work for Mario Lemiuex... but now I get to work with Harvey the Hound. Awsome....

....yeah, thats what he was thinking.

Personally I dont see him making the flames.

I don't understand why fans are complaining about this deal. This deal gave us lots of depth in our prospect pool, and a couple of solid prospects. who cares if they are unknown. Horak isn't the best player the flames have, but he's done well considering a lot of people doubted him. Iginla was largely unknown. Give these guys a chance. I doubt that Jay would trade the corner stone player for two crappy prospects 

You answered your own question right there.  The are unknowns.  It was reported yesterday that these two players weren't even viewed as Top 10 prospects from Pittsburgh's point of view.  Most everyone wanted someone they could point to and say "he's a good/bad choice", but we didn't get that.  Now the "haters" have to wait and see what we got, and they don't like that.

To me, I equate this to gardening.  We've got the seeds for something spectacular in our garden (our two NCAA guys), and we have to see what grows from them.  We've discovered that these types of seeds have an uncertain notoriety: they can either grow up to be wonderful, they can grow up to be horrible, or they can grow up to be "meh" and blend in with everything else in the garden.  The people who are complaining the loudest are the impatient gardeners and want to know right now what they're going to get.  They're not necessarily wrong, but without the patience and proper nurturing these types of seeds require, the seeds will not grow to their full potential, and these "impatient gardeners" either don't have the capacity to provide the proper nurturing, or don't want to even try to nurture.

.....or, I could be spewing a bunch of bull$hit.  If so, just throw it in on the two prospects in the garden...maybe it will make them grow. :P

I found this article on Agostino from NHL.com about the USA's WJC camp a couple years back. Its a pretty good read, and shows quite a bit of potential there. Im just not sure what happened to him after this in regards to the WJC. Did he make the team? If so, how did he do? Anyways, here is the link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585987

Oh, also, does anyone know when the soonest Hano would be available to us is?

Calgary Sun article from today:

Iginla trade: Meet the new kids

The Jarome Iginla era is over.

Kenny Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a lottery ticket are all that remains.

Pittsburgh Penguins property when he went to bed Wednesday, Hanowski awoke Thursday morning to find out he was a member of the Calgary Flames after the two NHL teams struck a late-night deal that sent Jarome Iginla east for the aforementioned package.

"I woke up to a handful of text messages and phone calls and found out that way," said Hanowski, a senior right winger at St. Cloud State. "It was kind of an interesting way to start off the day.

"I don't think it's really sunk in yet. I've kind of had a whirlwind day. I woke up, and we skated, and then I was on a plane, and we flew out to Toledo, Ohio (where the No. 4 Huskies will open up their 2013 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Midwest Regional on Saturday against No. 1 Notre Dame). I don't think it's quite hit me yet. Maybe later on, when I can sit in the hotel room and think about it a bit, I'll realize that it actually happened."

While the first-round pick was the key to moving Iginla, Hanowski, a 6-foot-2, 195 pounder, and Agostino, a 6-foot-1, 200-lb., junior left-winger at Yale, were clearly targeted by GM Jay Feaster & Co., as neither player was considered to be among the Pens' top prospects.

Extra pressure? Hanowski doesn't mind.

"I know they traded one of their legends away -- He's been a cornerstone of that organization for a very long time," said Hanowski, adding he spoke to Feaster for the first time Thursday afternoon. "I think it's just going to add a little bit of pressure from the fan base just because of the career that Iginla's had in that city.

"I think the fans are going to be expecting something out of the players that they got -- and the draft pick that they got -- for him. I think it's a little added pressure on me and Kenny and whoever they'll draft with that pick."

The question remains, what exactly did the Flames pry out of Pittsburgh?

Opinions vary.

The Pens plucked Agostino in the fifth round (140th overall) in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, while Hanowski was selected in the third round (63rd overall) in 2009. Both are unsigned at this point, and Hanowski, who missed a month of action this season due to a concussion, is slated to become a unrestricted free agent Aug. 15 as a college senior.

International Scouting Services labelled Agostino, 20, a "gifted player with great explosive speed and hockey sense," who plays an energetic two-way style and is aggressive on the forecheck.

Hanowski is a big, power winger who's willing to go into the high-traffic areas, according to ISS.

But St. Cloud State head coach Bob Motzko says Hanowski's goal-scoring instincts are what sets him apart and compared the 22-year-old to Dany Heatley.

"Big and rangy guy with the ability to get points," said Motzko, who employs Hanowski on both special-teams units. "If he plays with the right guys, he'll find ways to score.

"Very gifted offensive player. Great sense for the net. He's always been a big goal-scorer. He's got really gifted hands.

"You don't come around with guys who have the ability to score goals and be clutch players offensively like this. It's that kind of special level.

"I think there's still one more level for him to hit."

scott.mitchell@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/ScottMitchell

Most people need to understand a few things:

1.  These guys were the product of a trade with a superstar, no one can expect them to fill the shoes of Iggy, and if they do, then they are setting themselves up for a huge let down.

2.  Regardless of where these guys drafted in the rankings, it's up to the player to raise or lower their stock, and it's obvious with their accomplishments they have raised their stock significantly.

Look at Theo Fleury, he was drafted 8th round, 166th overall by the Flames. 

Names like:

Pavel Datsyuk - 171st overall

Keith Yandle - 105th overall

Henrik Zetterberg - 210th overall

Doug Gilmour - 134th overall

Pavel Bure - 113th overall

Luc Robitaille - 171st overall

Brett Hull - 117th overall

all show the makings of stars who were overlooked.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing these two kids to these greats.  I'm saying you can't discount them for the position they were drafted at.  I have no doubt the Flames will do everything they can to help them succeed, especially since they have been developed further than most our prospects are at this moment.

Kenny Agostino with a beauty top shelf goal to put Yale up 1-0 and then assisted on the game winner just 6 seconds into OT for Yale. Fastest OT goal in NCAA tournament history!!!!

Minnesota Gophers were the highest scoring team in the NCAA and 2nd best record. Upset by Agostino and Yale Bulldogs!

Agostino now has 16 goals, 23 assists, 39 points in 34 games. 5th in the NCAA amongst Juniors in the NCAA in points per game with 1.15!

As for Ben Hanowski, he is projected to be anywhere from a top liner to an AHL lifer, so it's a toss up with him. Have read that he is comparable with Thomas Vanek to Dany Heatley. Listed as a sniper.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/4draft-prospects/3140/profile-ben-hanowski

There was a lot of upset fans in 2009 when he didn't win the "Mr. Hockey" award. He lost out just barely, to Nick Leddy.

Here is a funny video on his beard. At least this guy can take a joke! Hope to see that Lanny MacDonald replica beard long into the playoffs someday for the Flames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4duFXlu3yE

Was just about to post this article about Yale upsetting Minnesota, and Agostino with the best performance! But mike_jones beat me too it! Anyways, i'd just like to add that his assist on the GWG was off a takeaway that he created. Whole play was because of him. Pressured the man, took the puck away, fed the player. Boom. Goal.

Kenny Agostino with a beauty top shelf goal to put Yale up 1-0 and then assisted on the game winner just 6 seconds into OT for Yale. Fastest OT goal in NCAA tournament history!!!!

Minnesota Gophers were the highest scoring team in the NCAA and 2nd best record. Upset by Agostino and Yale Bulldogs!

Agostino now has 16 goals, 23 assists, 39 points in 34 games. 5th in the NCAA amongst Juniors in the NCAA in points per game with 1.15!

Unfortunately it doesn't show Agostino's 2nd period game tying goal, but it shows his assist in the fastest OT goal ever recorded in the NCAA.

Edit:  A little more on Hanowski's reaction.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Hanowski+grew+cheering+against+Jarome+Iginla+Minnesota+Wild/8168072/story.html

Just to add to ScottMacMahon, Hanowski's assist would be on the eventual game winning goal.

Final SCSU 5 NDU 1

Ben Hanowski has 3 goals, 4 assists and 7 points in his last 4 games played

Ben also leads St. Cloud in shots on goal by a fair margin with 131 SOG in 35 GP or 3.75 SH/PG. 2nd on the team has 109 SOG in 40GP or 2.72 per

Unfortunately it doesn't show Agostino's 2nd period game tying goal, but it shows his assist in the fastest OT goal ever recorded in the NCAA.

Here, this clip has Agostino's goal that put Yale up 1-0 in the 2nd. They were up 2-0 at the end of the 2nd. The Gophers answered back in the 3rd.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/2012-13/20132903_Yale_Minnesota_NCAARegional-desktop

Just finished watching the Yale/North Dakota game! WHAT A FINISH!!!

It was a nail biter. I missed the 1st but North Dakota's Corban Knight opened the scoring 1-0 for North Dakota. Late in the frame, North Dakota had a goal called back because the net came off JUST before the puck crossed the line which would have put them up 2-0.

In the 2nd, Yale carried the play, but North Dakota's goalie, Sanders was incredible, shut down Agostino a couple times. North Dakota had a couple chances including 2 goal posts. (They had 4 goal post all game) but the score would remain 1-0 after 2 for North Dakota

Midway through the 3rd, Yale would tie it up. Shortly after, Yale on the PP, Jesse Root (sp?) the same guy that scored the GW in OT yesterday had a nice shot. Agostino was skating right by the goalie and created a bit of a screen imo, but nonetheless it was 2-1 for Yale with about 7 minutes left in the game.

The game would finish 4-1 with Agostino getting the empty net goal.

Yale will be going to the final four for the 1st time in modern history. Last time they were there was 1952!

The better news is that Corban Knight is DONE!!!! He is the MAIN contender for the Hobey Baker 2013 award, but chances are it will come down to who of the final 3 does the most. Pretty sure Gaudreau is final 3 and most likely Corban Knight as well, which Gaudreau should edge unless they bomb tonight.

Gaudreau is on at 9pm EST tonight!! Go Gaudreaubey!!!

Congrats to Agostino on making the FROZEN FOUR!!!!

Here, this clip has Agostino's goal that put Yale up 1-0 in the 2nd. They were up 2-0 at the end of the 2nd. The Gophers answered back in the 3rd.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/2012-13/20132903_Yale_Minnesota_NCAARegional-desktop

I must have read wrong from NHL.com.  I wouldn't put it past them to have the wrong info either...Thanks for the vid.

Just finished watching the Yale/North Dakota game! WHAT A FINISH!!!

It was a nail biter. I missed the 1st but North Dakota's Corban Knight opened the scoring 1-0 for North Dakota. Late in the frame, North Dakota had a goal called back because the net came off JUST before the puck crossed the line which would have put them up 2-0.

In the 2nd, Yale carried the play, but North Dakota's goalie, Sanders was incredible, shut down Agostino a couple times. North Dakota had a couple chances including 2 goal posts. (They had 4 goal post all game) but the score would remain 1-0 after 2 for North Dakota

Midway through the 3rd, Yale would tie it up. Shortly after, Yale on the PP, Jesse Root (sp?) the same guy that scored the GW in OT yesterday had a nice shot. Agostino was skating right by the goalie and created a bit of a screen imo, but nonetheless it was 2-1 for Yale with about 7 minutes left in the game.

The game would finish 4-1 with Agostino getting the empty net goal.

Yale will be going to the final four for the 1st time in modern history. Last time they were there was 1952!

The better news is that Corban Knight is DONE!!!! He is the MAIN contender for the Hobey Baker 2013 award, but chances are it will come down to who of the final 3 does the most. Pretty sure Gaudreau is final 3 and most likely Corban Knight as well, which Gaudreau should edge unless they bomb tonight.

Gaudreau is on at 9pm EST tonight!! Go Gaudreaubey!!!

Congrats to Agostino on making the FROZEN FOUR!!!!

Just a correction/addition, but it was 1-0 for N. Dakota with about 7 minutes remaining. Good resiliency by Yale to stick with it and have an offensive explosion late in the third. Great finish.

Thanks Deeds. 

Hano seems eager to come to Calgary.  Could just be put on the spot by Steinburg but he did say he couldn't believe he was part of a trade in history including Jarome Iginla and was exciting to bring his A game for this team.  From what I got through the interview, he's going to work is @$$ off to build more muscle, and keep in shape during the summer, so he may not want to play on the Flames the rest of the season.  Who knows, maybe he'll get his first class ticket into town and will be up for a shot with the big club.  Being in my 30's and back as a college student myself, I know a little extra cash for a guy coming out of University doesn't hurt either ;)

He did seem interested in coming here. He mentioned he is playing where he is now because that college team showed a desire to have him on their team.

He went on to say the reason he missed summer camps is he was taking courses to keep up his academic standing. I heard no warning signs(knock on wood) so expect we will get a chance to see what he can do.

He did seem interested in coming here. He mentioned he is playing where he is now because that college team showed a desire to have him on their team.

He went on to say the reason he missed summer camps is he was taking courses to keep up his academic standing. I heard no warning signs(knock on wood) so expect we will get a chance to see what he can do.

Gonna listen to it now, anyone else who wants too can find the interview on their website: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/

Wow, I really liked what I heard. I'm not sure what it is... but he seems to be a very well spoken, calm, composed kid. I'm around the same age as him, and I know i wouldn't have been nearly composed in that interview. 

Having said that, it looks like he is really focused on helping SCSU do well in the frozen four. I like that focus. 

Also seemed like he was truly excited to be wanted as much as the Flames evidently want him, and it seems like he is ready to do whatever it takes to live up to the expectations placed on him. Good to here that he is excited to become a member of the organization.

Now lets just hope he has a good offseason in the gym (as he mentioned) and can come back stronger and break the opening night roster come september!  :D

Archived