Ben Hanowski And Kenny Agostino

s4xon

It may seem a little premature to start a thread about this guy, but I wanted to have a place to field questions, concerns about contract status, and/or provide insight to what type of player this guy is, especially since he was a major factor in the return for our once beloved captain Jarome Iginla.

For those of you trying to look Hanowski up on hockeydb.com, they only provide his 4 years in the NCAA.  Below are his stats through high school and the NCAA.

17bgd2.png

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=662536

He broke the record for highest scoring in Minnesota State boys high school hockey before moving on to the NCAA.

There is no question the guy has talent.  He's been a captain at every level and is the current captain of the ST. Cloud University team.  His college numbers may not jump out at you, but most numbers aren't high in the NCAA as we've seen with Gaudreau, Janko, etc.

My only question is, as he and the team are currently in the playoffs for the NCAA, if and when they are out of the running can he sign with Calgary and play the remainder of the year?  He is in the last year of his NCAA career as he is a senior and the next move is the pro level.

A little montage on Hanowsky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I changed the title of this thread because this pertains to Kenny Agostino as well.

699579089426d391a1c8164449cf2e3c.png?136

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=127796

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's important to post this stuff, and I'm glad you did. 

It's really important that we give these kids a chance. Lets see what they can do before we write them off as "the nothing that we got for Iginla." They'll be under a lot of pressure, and subject to some seriously unfair scrutiny.

Assuming that they sign, I hope that they succeed, and I'd love to be among the first to welcome them to the Flames!

Love.  

I think it's pretty obvious what the intriguing thing is about this kid and what caught the Calgary scouts eye...

It's his progression.  He took a monster steps in development from 2 season ago to last yr...  and that's what you want to see in any young player... significant progression. 

So that's the promising part as is his size.

What's he doing this season?

Agreed. These are Flames now. Horak got some flack from the flock  after Timmygate but he definitely exceeded expectations and it seems we really salvaged something from the ashes there. History may show this as a great trade for Calgary. Time will tell...

I think it's pretty obvious what the intriguing thing is about this kid and what caught the Calgary scouts eye...

It's his progression.  He took a monster steps in development from 2 season ago to last yr...  and that's what you want to see in any young player... significant progression. 

So that's the promising part as is his size.

What's he doing this season?

That was the question I had at the end of the first post...can he even sign with Calgary when he's done his season? 

There is a month of hockey left, but I'm sure Feaster wants to lock him up before he decides to pull an Erixon or a Schultz.

That was the question I had at the end of the first post...can he even sign with Calgary when he's done his season? 

There is a month of hockey left, but I'm sure Feaster wants to lock him up before he decides to pull an Erixon or a Schultz.

Agreed. And he better sign here or I will not be happy....

Having said that, I see some potential. I like the progression, I like the size, I like the high school history, and I like that he has been the captain in High School and in College. I also like that Feaster mentioned that during the work stoppage, our Pro Scouts were able to see him and liked what they saw. 

I would imagine that he has to finish his school year before he can come over and play here?

If this guy is the senior (the other is a junior), then he goes UFA Aug 15th i believe, as per college rules.  Feaster has got to hope he's open to singing in Calgary..

Virtual pending disaster if he doesn't.  

Unless his season ends very soon (he's in the NCAA tourny), he has very little incentive to sign prior to Aug 15th, when he can see what his options are... 

My only question is, as he and the team are currently in the playoffs for the NCAA, if and when they are out of the running can he sign with Calgary and play the remainder of the year?  He is in the last year of his NCAA career as he is a senior and the next move is the pro level.

Yes.  As soon as he's done, he can sign and play the same day.  He also has the option, unfortunately, of holding out till Aug 15th.

Can't talk to them directly until they are done the schooling season. You can talk to their Agent but they don't call them agents. I think August is the deadline to sign those done with the schooling and ready to turn pro. You hold and can trade the rights but you don't actually sign any agreements with them.

Don't quote me on any of the above, just filling conversation space off the top of my head.

I guess the one thing going for us in terms of signing these guys is that this team has a pretty significant American presence now. Feaster, Weisbrod and Conroy are all Yanks and we already have some Yanks in the system,

Besides, Feaster's A$$ is on the line. He will do anything and everything to get these players signed.

Can't talk to them directly until they are done the schooling season. You can talk to their Agent but they don't call them agents. I think August is the deadline to sign those done with the schooling and ready to turn pro. You hold and can trade the rights but you don't actually sign any agreements with them.

Don't quote me on any of the above, just filling conversation space off the top of my head.

Yeah August 15th is the date apparently..

He'll have the same options Justin Schultz had...

a - he signs right after his season ends, and plays a few Flames games THIS season... he burns an extra yr of his ELC and is a yr closer to his 2nd contract.

b - he signs after the flames season ends (there is no point to this scenario for him since it doesn't burn a yr)

c - he waits till Aug 15th and becomes a UFA.  But has to wait an extra yr before his 2nd contract.

So if Calgary is where he is ok being - He'll sign right after the tourny to burn that yr - Option A.

If not - he's likely going UFA - Option C.

Option B, altho possible with a lot of begging and secret promises from Feaster, is the least likely to happen.

**This is MY understanding of the situation... may not be correct**

What would YOU do in this situation?  Option C seems like the no brainer..  Pick your spot is such a luxury to have that people usually have to wait 5-7 yrs for.  No ties to Calgary like Schultz seemingly 'owed' Ana for drafting him..

- could you imagine if he turned around and signed with the Pens! could.not.imagine the fallout!

I hope for the sanity of flames fan he chooses to sign right after the tourny.

Yeah August 15th is the date apparently..

He'll have the same options Justin Schultz had...

a - he signs right after his season ends, and plays a few Flames games THIS season... he burns an extra yr of his ELC and is a yr closer to his 2nd contract.

b - he signs after the flames season ends (there is no point to this scenario for him since it doesn't burn a yr)

c - he waits till Aug 15th and becomes a UFA.  But has to wait an extra yr before his 2nd contract.

So if Calgary is where he is ok being - He'll sign right after the tourny to burn that yr - Option A.

If not - he's likely going UFA - Option C.

Option B, altho possible with a lot of begging and secret promises from Feaster, is the least likely to happen.

**This is MY understanding of the situation... may not be correct**

What would YOU do in this situation?  Option C seems like the no brainer..  Pick your spot is such a luxury to have that people usually have to wait 5-7 yrs for.  No ties to Calgary like Schultz seemingly 'owed' Ana for drafting him..

- could you imagine if he turned around and signed with the Pens! could.not.imagine the fallout!

I hope for the sanity of flames fan he chooses to sign right after the tourny.

I don't think Feaster would have pulled the trigger without being reasonbly certain that he could sign the players. It would make the O'Reilly situation look like an insignficant clerical error.

I don't think Feaster would have pulled the trigger without being reasonbly certain that he could sign the players. It would make the O'Reilly situation look like an insignficant clerical error.

And i think you might be giving him too much credit.

Didn't he state in his presser that he was yet to talk to their "family advisers" (since they can't have agents...  hard to be certain when they can't speak with them without the Pens permission... Something he denied the Bruins from doing with Iginla yesterday.

Its fairly uncommon GM's would be able to do that with prospects.

The big ticket for Hanowski is that he will get the minutes and most likely a top 6 role in Calgary. With Iggy gone, there is a huge deficit on the RW and his presence will be needed. On any other team he would be thrown to the third and 4th line. He's developed and I have no question Feaster will try everything in his power to sign the kid.  Let's hope he wants to make some money and get a jump on his career, especially with being fresh and in game shape from his short NCAA season.

I hate how everything hangs on a "what if" limbo until it's either too late or it pans out. Another hurry up and wait scenario.

Edit:  Just found this from the St. Cloud Times.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20130328/SPORTS0401/303280027/Hanowski-dealt-Calgary-part-Iginla-trade?nclick_check=1

The big ticket for Hanowski is that he will get the minutes and most likely a top 6 role in Calgary. With Iggy gone, there is a huge deficit on the RW and his presence will be needed. On any other team he would be thrown to the third and 4th line. He's developed and I have no question Feaster will try everything in his power to sign the kid.  Let's hope he wants to make some money and get a jump on his career, especially with being fresh and in game shape from his short NCAA season.

I hate how everything hangs on a "what if" limbo until it's either too late or it pans out. Another hurry up and wait scenario.

Edit:  Just found this from the St. Cloud Times.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20130328/SPORTS0401/303280027/Hanowski-dealt-Calgary-part-Iginla-trade?nclick_check=1

interesting read, but this popped out at me right off:

Hanowski, who is in his second season as a captain, said that he wants to put his pro career on hold as long as possible.

Hanowski, who is in his second season as a captain, said that he wants to put his pro career on hold as long as possible.

Yep, that caught my attention, too.  And then, the article did nothing to follow that path.  I suddenly have a very uneasy feeling about all of this.

Here's the word from my friends who's been a die-hard Pens fan for the last 10 years : never heard about him. Not to judge the prospect before he's given a chance, but I think it says it all on how the deal is just pure gamble...

I think the meaning behind that was that he wanted to focus on the NCAA tournament that his team is starting on Saturday and wants to keep winning till he gets to the championships.

The sooner his team loses the sooner he starts his pro career.

I was taken aback at first as well, but now I see he just wants to win.

http://thehockeywriters.com/60-ben-hanowski-%E2%80%93-the-hockey-spy%E2%80%99s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

Here is a scouting report from his draft year where they compare him to Andrew Brunette or Thomas Vanek.

I think the meaning behind that was that he wanted to focus on the NCAA tournament that his team is starting on Saturday and wants to keep winning till he gets to the championships.

The sooner his team loses the sooner he starts his pro career.

I was taken aback at first as well, but now I see he just wants to win.

http://thehockeywriters.com/60-ben-hanowski-%E2%80%93-the-hockey-spy%E2%80%99s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

Here is a scouting report from his draft year where they compare him to Andrew Brunette or Thomas Vanek.

Agree.  He is a SR.  Doubt he plans on retiring.  He is just saying he wants to go deep into the tournament.  

Yep, that caught my attention, too.  And then, the article did nothing to follow that path.  I suddenly have a very uneasy feeling about all of this.

Agree.  He is a SR.  Doubt he plans on retiring.  He is just saying he wants to go deep into the tournament.  

When I read that, I twitched when I hit that sentence, but then I saw the 2nd page link.  The next page states Feaster will try anything to sign the kid, and only after his season is done.  Those two details from Hano and Feaster line up nicely, pushing the focus back on the NCAA playoffs.  Hano's is in his senior year, the playoffs are down the pipe and a huge trade like this can be distracting.  I also believe he's just stating his priority for now.

I can see how he's been a captain throughout his jr. career.  He seems very mature for his age and the answer Hano gave to the news is exactly along the lines of what Iggy proclaimed through the season.  He just wanted to focus on helping the team and not let details and news derive him of any goals or mindsets.  I can't see Hano giving up the opportunity at the pro level for nothing.  It's not like he was anywhere near the Pens lineup, which he could have waited 4 years or longer to crack with a waiting list of talent ahead of him.

Edit: I also doubt Hano will want the stigma of being the guy in the return package for Iggy that decided not to sign with the Flames in order to pursue his own agenda.  Not a great way to be remembered in history and/or to start your pro career.

I'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, or the opportunity to prove themselves on their own merits, and I will do the same with both of our new prospects.  I think your assessment ("just wants to focus on his current playoffs") is probably spot-on.  However, I think I'll be watching with a tiny bit more of a critical eye.

I'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, or the opportunity to prove themselves on their own merits, and I will do the same with both of our new prospects.  I think your assessment ("just wants to focus on his current playoffs") is probably spot-on.  However, I think I'll be watching with a tiny bit more of a critical eye.

As anyone should.  We got burned before and no that's not a pun.  We also witnessed the same from the product of the Ducks draft last offseason.

More and more, I hear lines like "this was a Weisbrod" trade and such because he's an expert at all the college-related stuff. If that's the case, even though these guys got drafted later, we all know about Gaudreau... and for me anyways, that's all I know but I'm sure there are some other decent guys in the system we drafted late. If Agostino and Hanowski were targetted by Weisbrod, then for now I'll give them the benefit of a doubt for now.

With that said, in the short term, we definitely got fleeced as it seemed like Pittsburgh gave up two guys not in their top 10 prospects. They basically gave up two guys they could easily live without, considering the depth of their system, to get Iggy. These guys seem to be mid-level prospects, not the "top" and "mid" prospects we were reported to be looking for. Boston's offer definitely had the better prospect pool and would have been best for the team, but Iggy ultimately chose Pittsburgh and... well it seems like Pitts could have just thrown in the team mini fridge without much of a fight.

Wait, who is supposed to be the 'top prospect' and the 'secondary prospect' between the two of them?

Hockey's future list on Pittsburgh's prospect, by rank

1.Pouliot

2.Després

3.Bennett

4.Morrow

5.Maata

6.Dumoulin

7.Harrington

8.Bortuzzo

9.Blueger

10.Agostino

11.Archibald