Ben Hanowski And Kenny Agostino

s4xon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that didn't hear the Fan960 interview with Gaudreau posted by DirtyDeeds (see the Gaudreau Watch thread in the Abbotsford Heat and Calgary Hitman section), it turns out he and Kenny Agostino are buds, and that seemed to drive up his excitement to play with the Flames. Awesome.  Gaudreau also plays with Arnold.  Double awesome.

It's nice to see how all these future pieces fit together, and how it makes Calgary not look so much like the unknown for the new guys.  Brossoit and Wotherspoon are great buds.  Jankowski and Gillies play together in Providence.

Johnny Gaudreau on 960 on April 3 says that Agostino is a great pick up. He said that he hated playing him in high school as Agostino always have 5 points against them. Says he's fast, does things that he doesn't see a lot of players do, protects the puck well and plays all areas of the ice. Sounds like he's not too bad. 

Do we trust Johnny on this?

Johnny Gaudreau on 960 on April 3 says that Agostino is a great pick up. He said that he hated playing him in high school as Agostino always have 5 points against them. Says he's fast, does things that he doesn't see a lot of players do, protects the puck well and plays all areas of the ice. Sounds like he's not too bad. 

Do we trust Johnny on this?

Why wouldn't you? He's the guy growing up playing against him. Knows more about him and how he plays then any of us do.

Just a question, not an opinion, not a statement, just a question.

Are we leaning too heavily into the NCAA for prospects?

I wonder because I know Weisbrod is a basketball guy so it would be logical.

From last year's draft and this year's trade's I note that we are going far more to US college than we ever had before, by a lot.

Good thing or bad thing or doesn't matter?

I'm just wondering, not laying down any complaints.

From last year's draft and this year's trade's I note that we are going far more to US college than we ever had before, by a lot.

I don't think it matters too much. I personally like it. I think that in the past we ignored the NCAA too much,and I like that we are going too it now for some prospects who show alot of potential. 

Just look at the players we have in the NCAA right now: Gaudreau, Arnold, Hanowski, Agostino, etc... I like all of these players. I think they have potential, show upside, and i am really excited about them.

I like what Weisbrod has done so far. Keep it up.

Something to consider is, they also have the maturity that goes with being in college and getting an education and the relationship with coaches and trainers. They do have more time to train than players in Junior. Also, by the time they're done in College, you have a better idea of their personality, their will to improve and what they're going to be as players. 

What I get scared of is, they're not necessarily playing against the best players.

Why wouldn't you? He's the guy growing up playing against him. Knows more about him and how he plays then any of us do.

Yup, just a hypothetical question. So, for me, I like Johnny's assessment and takes his word over a lot as he's played against him most of his hockey life. 

Just a heads up, tomorrow is the first round of the frozen four.  Cheer on Agostino with Yale and Hanowski with St.Cloud to meet each other in the finals!  They should both be broadcast on ESPN-U

frozen_four_SPLASHDOWN.jpg

If St.Cloud is knocked out, I am wondering if the Flames will see Hanowski in the lineup for the last few remaining games, or if burning a year of his ELC is worth it.

Just a heads up, tomorrow is the first round of the frozen four.  Cheer on Agostino with Yale and Hanowski with St.Cloud to meet each other in the finals!  They should both be broadcast on ESPN-U

Anyone know of a stream that would have it?

If St.Cloud is knocked out, I am wondering if the Flames will see Hanowski in the lineup for the last few remaining games, or if burning a year of his ELC is worth it.

Im not too familiar with how the whole ELC works. Doesn't he have to play 9 games in order to burn a year? We only have 9 games remaining, so couldn't we just sidestep that by playing him in the last 8 games of the season?

Im totally talking out my a** here so anyone who knows better feel free to correct me!

That is correct you need to play 10 games in order to burn a year on an ELC deal. however, I don't think the flames can call up Hankowski because he was not on their roster by the trade deadline so i think the only way he is available is to do an emergency call up. Could be wrong ont hat, but either way I highly doubt you see him in the NHL this year. No sense to put him straight into the NHL from NCAA and skip the A.

That is correct you need to play 10 games in order to burn a year on an ELC deal. however, I don't think the flames can call up Hankowski because he was not on their roster by the trade deadline so i think the only way he is available is to do an emergency call up. Could be wrong ont hat, but either way I highly doubt you see him in the NHL this year. No sense to put him straight into the NHL from NCAA and skip the A.

Nope. You can use 4 call ups max after the deadline. We are currently at 3 since sven and jones were emergency call ups.

Yale Beasts UMass in 3-2 OT victory.  Agostino is going to the finals baby!  Come on St. Cloud, give us a Hano - Ago showdown!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1601664-frozen-four-2013-results-scores-highlights-recap-and-analysis

baffce12630c593b53b36fb20c83e677.png?136

I think that dude's source is wrong Deeds, from what I saw during the game and what I've read, just a heads up.

baffce12630c593b53b36fb20c83e677.png?136

Later I believe the goal was changed, but he had the screen!

Yale Beasts UMass in 3-2 OT victory.  Agostino is going to the finals baby!  Come on St. Cloud, give us a Hano - Ago showdown!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1601664-frozen-four-2013-results-scores-highlights-recap-and-analysis

Agreed! That would be interesting! And "beasts" is right. Yale outshot UMass 47-18. I caught the second half of the game and it was all Yale all the time. Agostino played great too! Lots of shots and made things happen everytime was on the ice.

Just a note, but college free agent Antoine Laganiere will be a college FA this year, and is friends with & plays with Kenny Agostino. Any chance the flames would want to sign him and would be able too? I was thinking of making this its own thread but thought id see if i got any feedback here first...

Later I believe the goal was changed, but he had the screen!

Agreed! That would be interesting! And "beasts" is right. Yale outshot UMass 47-18. I caught the second half of the game and it was all Yale all the time. Agostino played great too! Lots of shots and made things happen everytime was on the ice.

Just a note, but college free agent Antoine Laganiere will be a college FA this year, and is friends with & plays with Kenny Agostino. Any chance the flames would want to sign him and would be able too? I was thinking of making this its own thread but thought id see if i got any feedback here first...

Watching Agostino all game, the kid is very much a playmaker.  He gets the puck to the right areas, almost all of his shots hit the net, even when around the blue line in the cycle.  He wasn't pushed off the puck and he's got wheels.  He is one of the fastest on the team. He alone had about 4 chances and 4 feeds to others for chances.

Watching Agostino all game, the kid is very much a playmaker.  He gets the puck to the right areas, almost all of his shots hit the net, even when around the blue line in the cycle.  He wasn't pushed off the puck and he's got wheels.  He is one of the fastest on the team. He alone had about 4 chances and 4 feeds to others for chances.

I agree. Ill be watching him in the Finals on Saturday. Will be good to see how he performs in key games. I really like what i've seen so far and IMO this is definitely a prospect to watch and be excited about.

Too bad for Hano and his team for not moving on to the final.  Can't have a cinderella story all the time.  I wonder if we will see a contract signing in the next few days, and maybe even a Hano jersey in the lineup? ^_^

Archived