The Next Captain

s4xon

I completely agree with that statement. I think if Iggy is moved, the flames should go with no captain for the remainder of the season. Let somebody step up next season...or beyond that. The blue jackets still don't have a captin yet...and I don't think thats a bad thing.

As for Calgary, the team has only seen one caption in the last 10 years. Rather than giving it to somebody straight away and having them try to fill Iggy's shoes (by contantly being the leading scorer on the team, fighting, ect)....i would say the flames should sit back and let a caption emerge. Every player would have a different style and theres no wrong answer on how to caption a team. Plus it would change the culture of the team by letting somebody setup over time to become caption.

I usually hate it when people correct spelling, but I just can't let this slide. *Captain. Its spelt Captain! Not caption!!  :D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Iginla remains the captain. 

If he is traded and Hartley is to stick as coach I see Comeau getting the nod. Hartley's favourite and team's best guy.

Yea but Comeau is UFA and could be gone this summer.  He signed a 1-year "prove himself" contract and I think he's proved that he isn't the type of player he thought he was.  If he comes back next season, then it's got to be in a reduced role and reduced pay.

Read again.

Easy there turbo spice, maybe you need to reread my post again. You used the fact that Cammy isn't a proven fighter as basically the only valid reason that he shouldn't be captain, and continued that train of thought in your assessment of other players ("He can drop the gloves when needed", "The other side to this is his fighting ability.  He has tusseled in the past, but is not known for dropping the golves very often, and definitely is not very good at it.", etc...) I was just saying thats a bogus view. Most captains around the league ARNT proven fighters, but WILL step up to send a message to the team to get their sh*t together! Thats what you need in a captain.

Easy there turbo spice, maybe you need to reread my post again. You used the fact that Cammy isn't a proven fighter as basically the only valid reason that he shouldn't be captain, and continued that train of thought in your assessment of other players ("He can drop the gloves when needed", "The other side to this is his fighting ability.  He has tusseled in the past, but is not known for dropping the golves very often, and definitely is not very good at it.", etc...) I was just saying thats a bogus view. Most captains around the league ARNT proven fighters, but WILL step up to send a message to the team to get their sh*t together! Thats what you need in a captain.

I'll bet that would be great on steak. 

You didn't read again did you...I guess you'll see what you see.  Can't argue with with what's not there.

I have to agree with most on this board, IF Iggy gets traded it will most likely be as a rental and we re-sign him in the off season.  As for the in-term C I can totally see:

Wideman

He is quite articulate with the media (much to my surprise)

Solid consistent player

Has some flair on the bench and not afraid to let the team know they are playing like crap

All qualities a good C should have.  I see Widman filling in and taking an A next year when Iggy comes back with a cup ring  :D

Hey now I would take Chara over Wideman any day of the week and thrice on Sundays, but honestly Ovie as a captain sucks so yeah they should be laughing.

Boston has a great Captain and Washington doesn't really understand what one is.

My point is that Wideman was an extremely inconsistent player for both of them, certainly not captain material. Fortunately for Wideman here, the sample size has been pretty small and he's been able to hide his dark side thus far. Hopefully he keeps it that way.

Wideman's never rubbed me the right way and despite the love affair people seem to have with Gio he looks disinterested and off his game this year.

There's not a single player on this team that stands out as captain material. Let's wait until the dust settles after the trade deadline, possibly even into next season, to see who should wear the C.

I can't imagine the captain will be named until just before the start of the season. This is a transitional period and we will have to see which suitable candidates survive the cull. I think Squid is a possibility as he he young enough to provide some veteran experience to the younger players for a few years. Same goes for Giordano.

We won't name a new captain until the offseason or sometime into next season. Who knows, Iggy could go win a cup and come right back to Calgary, never say never. Plus, Feaster said more changes are likely coming, have to see what this team looks like when the dust settles.

Wideman's never rubbed me the right way and despite the love affair people seem to have with Gio he looks disinterested and off his game this year.

Really? I'll agree that Gio wasn't on his game at the beginning of the year, but lately, I personally think he has been the best flame on the ice.

As for the Captain issue, Hartley has said that they will rotate 3 A's from inbetween cammy, glenX, gio, and bouw and choose a new Captain in the offseason.

Archived