The Next Captain

s4xon

I'm done mourning for the departed and former Captain of the Flames. No need to build any shrines for  people to get over him.

Thanks for the memories Iggy.    blah blah...

I'll forever hold the memories in high esteem.     blah blah blah.....

I feel it is sort of like keeping a few things of your ex (like pictures) hanging on the wall..... Time to pack that away isn't it???

Lets just pick one of the many suitable kicking around and be done with that lingering dilemma everyone seems to be having.

12 steps to recovery and your chance to get on with a semi-normal life.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought, but does anyone think it should be a role auditioned for in camp.  I for one think it should be, for starters what was done in the past is in the past we will have new guys and young guys.  Guys who showed leadership in the past on a veteran team are in a different light now as the question is can they lead a younger bunch.  I remember hearing a while back Conroy addressing the fact that Hanowski on his arrival was basically left alone by the vets, that can't be happening going forward.  

As am I - "So let it be written,so let it be done"

Call me heartless but I was over him three years ago.

Just a thought, but does anyone think it should be a role auditioned for in camp.  I for one think it should be, for starters what was done in the past is in the past we will have new guys and young guys.  Guys who showed leadership in the past on a veteran team are in a different light now as the question is can they lead a younger bunch.  I remember hearing a while back Conroy addressing the fact that Hanowski on his arrival was basically left alone by the vets, that can't be happening going forward.  

Cammalleri is probably the front runner to lead the team at this time.  No one will follow but that's aside from the point.  It would make for better trade value come trade deadline.

Cammalleri is probably the front runner to lead the team at this time.  No one will follow but that's aside from the point.  It would make for better trade value come trade deadline.

I really hope not.  To me, it waters down the value of the label "Captain" for this team.

Do the Flames need a new captain?  Yes.  Do the Flames need a captain that will most likely last a year or two?  No. They aren't the Oilers who tend to relenquish every leading role in the organization on an annual or bi-annual basis, nor should the Flames start doing that. (and yes I know Horcoff lasted longer, however, it was for one year longer) 

Stick with 3 or 4 A's until one emerges, hopefully it's from the younger generation in a season or two.

On a side note, we were told by uncle Feaster that we would have a new captain crowned in the summer.  So far we haven't heard a single peep on the subject, so I'm wondering if they are paralleling the same thought process as a few of us here on the boards.

I would think the next captain would have to be either Giordano or Glencross.  Both guys are signed long term to good contracts, they've both been with the team for a while, they both play the game at both ends, they both have good attitudes and they're both veterans but also relatively young.

Either way, the next captain will be a caretaker role until (probably) Monahan develops for a couple more seasons and assumes the captaincy as this young team improves.

I think we should just revolve the captaincy, or share it.  We have several decent leaders on the team but none that I would say stand head and shoulders above the crowd.   The Flames do have a good history co-captains, heck they even had co-captains when we won our cup!

In 83-84 Risebrough and Lanny shared it.  From 84 - 87 we had 3 captains for Zeus' sake with Risebrough, Lanny and Peplinski.  And of course 87 - 89 had Lanny and Peplinski share it.

Even more recently we had Conny and Boughner share captaincy for half a season or so in 01-02 when Lowry got the boot.

Personally I think we should either rotate it though the likely candidates unless one of them grabs it and really stands out.  Or just have co-captains for a couple of years and see what bubbles to the top.

I am  of the opinion that not having a captain for the remainder of a season when a captain is injured or traded is okay, at least to finish the season.

I don't think there is any reason to go into a season like we are about to, without one. If there is no clear Captain then share it, sure that works.

We have some future captains coming up. Seiloff should be the Captain of the US team if the rumours I see floating around are true. I think Monahan shared his captaincy with Ceci last year too.

I think we should just revolve the captaincy, or share it.  We have several decent leaders on the team but none that I would say stand head and shoulders above the crowd.   The Flames do have a good history co-captains, heck they even had co-captains when we won our cup!

In 83-84 Risebrough and Lanny shared it.  From 84 - 87 we had 3 captains for Zeus' sake with Risebrough, Lanny and Peplinski.  And of course 87 - 89 had Lanny and Peplinski share it.

Even more recently we had Conny and Boughner share captaincy for half a season or so in 01-02 when Lowry got the boot.

Personally I think we should either rotate it though the likely candidates unless one of them grabs it and really stands out.  Or just have co-captains for a couple of years and see what bubbles to the top.

I agree with you on this, and really like the idea of a rotation. Let our next captian show us who he is through hard work and leadership on the ice. Weather he has to share it or not maybe someone will give that extra effort to show they really want to own it.

It wouldn't make sense to give the C to Cammalleri - I expect his day s are number as a Flame.  Likewise, I see the Flames showcasing Stajan and Stempniak in the first half of this season to get more pics (and maybe a shot at Max Reinhart's little brother).

Wideman could be an option - he's solid on the ice and in the room and he's got a contract that goes for years.

I don't see the Flames doing a brief captaincy and then transferring it to Monahan...maybe 4-5 years down the road, but definitely not in a year or two.

To me, that leaves Giordano and Glencross as likely candidates.  Both play a hard, respectable game.  I could see them being named as co-captains.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you name a captain just because, I think we wait until someone emerges as a leader on this team.

Giordano just looked awful last year, he really needs to bounceback and have a very strong season to get mentioned for a possible captaincy.

Glencross just doesn't strike me as being an NHL captain, decent assistant with the way he plays, but I don't see him being the guy standing in front of the media night in night out, and really leading this team.

I say we take as long  as necessary, and until then rotate the A's through Giordano, Glencross, Cammalleri, and I would even give Backlund a shot at an A especially if Cammy goes, he really emerged last year as a key player, and will have a bigger role this year.

Just something I noticed today, but Cammy is getting a ton of face time.  Does this make him the face of the franchise for the season?  Doubtful, but it may add to the notion that he may don the 'C' for the season, or at least until the trade deadline. 

Just some food for thought.

Just something I noticed today, but Cammy is getting a ton of face time.  Does this make him the face of the franchise for the season?  Doubtful, but it may add to the notion that he may don the 'C' for the season, or at least until the trade deadline. 

Just some food for thought.

Actually, isn't he the face of Adidas?  So we have Scoreface and Sneakerface. :D

Captain is already chosen. http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=20178

Gio or Cammy?

Cammy looks like the choice since he's been seen a lot in the medias and everything

Though he is speaking like he knows it's already Gio..

For my guess I am going to go with Gio...

I am also thinking that Cammy could be traded by the deadline...

For my guess I am going to go with Gio...

I am also thinking that Cammy could be traded by the deadline...

Ya I think Gio gets the Captain's C as well.  As for Cammy being moved I also have to agree.  We need to make room for the younger guys coming up and Cammy could fetch a good pick for us.

Giordano I think is here for the long haul.  Cammy may not be with his contract/performance ratio less than ideal.

I don't think Scoreface is face the flames want as their face to face the media.. face.

It's for this reason I could see them giving Cammy the C. If they want to keep Gio, they may not want to give him the C because they don't want to strip it from him at a later date. With Cammy on the other hand, they can just move him.

After watching Gio's interview, he looked calm cool and collected.  It was the best interview I'd ever see him have to date.  Level heads prevail, so I'm going to throw out a rare prediction and jump on the Gio bandwagon for the 'C'.

It's for this reason I could see them giving Cammy the C. If they want to keep Gio, they may not want to give him the C because they don't want to strip it from him at a later date. With Cammy on the other hand, they can just move him.

Calgary's Captaincy isn't something thrown around on a temporary basis.  I don't believe they would give Cammy such responsibilities unless they are going to extend him.  For that to happen, both parties would have to be in agreement.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense.

After watching Gio's interview, he looked calm cool and collected.  It was the best interview I'd ever see him have to date.  Level heads prevail, so I'm going to throw out a rare prediction and jump on the Gio bandwagon for the 'C'.

Calgary's Captaincy isn't something thrown around on a temporary basis.  I don't believe they would give Cammy such responsibilities unless they are going to extend him.  For that to happen, both parties would have to be in agreement.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense.

I like to believe that old traditions like that remain, but I honestly have my doubts.

Archived