The Next Captain

s4xon

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the flames would give us a new captain this season if Iggy was traded. I would guess they would just run with our A's and maybe add one more A.

Unless we brought in another well respected Captain from another team our new Captain would come from the remaining A's still left here. Trading Iggy would signify that the Flames are entering into a big change over mode.

I could picture Wideman as a captain.  

He seems to potentially be the right mix - high level player, seems consistent, a little snarly and demonstrative (remembering him slam his stick returning to the bench from a poor team shift and letting the bench know)... haven't heard his interviews tho... 

Don't see Scoreface as captain material at all.  Not nearly consistent enough is he?  And I don't think highly of him IQ wise.

Wideman would be my first choice as well.

If nothing else but for that display at the bench but also because he seems pretty solid all the way around.

Honestly I could care less about how our captain is with the media, as long as he's not some douche bag he can fire off the "gotta get more pucks to the net / gotta have active sticks / gotta play a full 60 minutes" crap like anyone else can parrot it off.

I want a captain that inspires the team to play better.  A better team will inspire the fans to greater levels of support.

I think Mike Cammalleri has been campaigning to be captain for awhile.  He was even vocal in interviews saying he enjoys the added leadership responsibilities.  I think he will be the next captain of the Calgary Flames (but i don't think it's the right choice because i think he's got to be one of the first guys to go once Iginla goes.)

I think Mike Cammalleri has been campaigning to be captain for awhile.  He was even vocal in interviews saying he enjoys the added leadership responsibilities.  I think he will be the next captain of the Calgary Flames (but i don't think it's the right choice because i think he's got to be one of the first guys to go once Iginla goes.)

I agree 100% on Cammalleri. Highest hockey IQ out of any of our players, good leadership, and I think guys respect him.

GlenX would be good 50% of the games... the other 50% he lets his emotions take over and the wreckless penalties and other nonsense follows. He is improving but he has a lot of growing up to do before he's captain material. 

Comeau will be wearing the 'C' by next year whether Iggy goes or not.  Hartley will make it happen.  He's the new face of the franchise.  DIdn't you know?  :lol:

Hey don't even joke about that, it's so crazy I could see it happening.... :blink:

But in all seriousness, I as well could see either Wideman or Cammy wearing the C, I like Wideman's character and energy/passion which DL44 pointed too. Cammy I think would be a decent choice with his skillset as well, thinking he could provide leadership  and I like how he speaks his mind. 

Although I think we need a captain who you can see every night and never think hmmm where is [insert name] he seems invisible this game.  Much like a younger Iggy.

It'll be tough not having Iggy as the captain. Maybe if he is traded they just go the rest of the season without a captain, and then just resign him in the offseason, and reinstate his captaincy? I don't know. We've been spoiled by his leadership for a loooong time and in my opinion he is the best captain in the league. Will be hard to replace.

Out of our current players, I could see any of cammy, glenX, or wideman getting it. Although I don't really love any of those choices... maybe it'll be someone we pick up in the offseason/at the deadline.

If Iginla does get moved I don't see them handing the "C" over to someone else till sometime next season. See who steps up and deserves it, not based on their points but there overall play and leadership. I don't like the idea of Glencross, I could see Wideman or Cammy the next "C" from the current group. 

I started the thread to see what other's thoughts were on who had the merits.

My opinion (the above mention of Comeau purely for comedic reasons for those of you who are late) is that no one on this team fits the bill.  I have mulled over a few players, but nothing seams to jump out.

Cammy

-probably the closest to the mark.  He's bold, vocal about opinion, has a "must win" attitude, and he can produce.  He also interviews very well.  The only 2 reasons I don't have him pegged for the next captain is:

1. Size - It seems shallow and shouldn't matter, but it is nice when your captain can come in and make a statement with his fists to instill boundaries and let the other team know they mean business.  Sometimes words just don't cut it.  Cammy is feisty, and doesn't get pushed around easily, but he's not a fighter.

2. Future - I don't see him as a permanent fixture for this team.  Yes he had a great few years here, he came back, and is still lighting the lamp. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason he doesn't stay and finish his career with this team in my mind.

GlenX

-He's come a very long way, and is a consistent player.  Decent size and grit, can produce.  He can drop the gloves when needed, but there are a couple reasons why I wouldn't choose him.

1. Temper - Flames fans have seen year in and year out that his temper can get him into trouble in the worst times possible.  Staying one's emotions at the low times shows the sign of a leader.  Something GlenX struggles with.

2. Maturity - He's grown quite a bit over the last few years, but he's not the first place winner in the maturity category.  I just don't see him in this magnitude of a leadership role.  The 'A' suits him just fine.

Wideman

-Very mature, has scoring ability, and decent motivator.  Two reasons why I wouldn't chose him for the 'C' role.

1. Depth of Grit - although he has decent size, doesn't get pushed off the puck easily, and gets into the hard areas (much more than J-Bo), he lacks in the hit department.  He will make the hit if necessary, but he's not a highlight reel enforcer.  The other side to this is his fighting ability.  He has tusseled in the past, but is not known for dropping the golves very often, and definitely is not very good at it.

2. Past - a pretty stupid reason, but his shootout attempt will not go away.  It will follow him till he retires (and probably long after).  Wideman has also been known to make the odd questionable play, and the media would crusify him for each and every time it would happen.  I would see him best in an 'A' role.

J-Bo, Stajan, and Tanguay

-There are multiple reasons why any of these guys don't fit the role, the most obvious...they are just too soft.

I just don't see the next captain currently playing on this team.   Whoever is next to file the role, they will need most of the attributes of a typical captain.  Similar to players like Iggy, Doan, Zetterberg and Getzlaf.  Asking too much?  Maybe, but for me, that's what we've been blessed with for the last 15 years.  IMO the next captain isn't here.

Maybe we can get Barkov and groom him to be our #1 guy.  :D

1. Size - It seems shallow and shouldn't matter, but it is nice when your captain can come in and make a statement with his fists to instill boundaries and let the other team know they mean business.  Sometimes words just don't cut it.  Cammy is feisty, and doesn't get pushed around easily, but he's not a fighter.

Throughout your post, you repeatedly mention that it is necessary for a captain to be good at fighting/be able to drop the gloves. I really don't believe that is the case... Look at all the other captains around the league. How many of them regularly drop the gloves? How many of them are good fighters? Well, lets take a look...

Getzlaf - No

Chara - Noone ever wants to mess with him, so yes, i guess to an extent...

Pominville - No

Iginla - Yes

Staal - No

Towes - No

Landeskog - No

Morrow - Yes

Zettterberg - No

Horcoff - No

Giroux - No

Crosby - No

Alfy - No

Backes - No

Lecavalier - No

Phaneuf - Yes

Thornton - Yes

Sedin - No

Ovechkin - No

Ladd - Yes

Doan - Yes

Callahan - No

etc...

So no... it is not necessary for a captain to be a fighter, or a good one. I think whats important is that a captain is WILLING to step up and fight, no matter if he gets beat or not. That shows heart, and for a team to see their captain fired up and ready to drop them, thats what gets them going. I think Cammy has the fire to do that...

Not saying he should be captain because of that! Just saying that him not being a good fighter really shouldn't be a reason for him to be discounted as potential candidate. 

2 options that haven't been discussed as much as I thought they would be:

Giordano- smart player, can be fiery and talkative. Kind of having a down year but is I think one of the front runners in the room for the job.

Hudler- has only been here a short while but is active on the bench and does have a four year deal. Probably going to be one of our top guys going forward. If you subscribe to "the best player is the captain" philosophy he has to be considered.

... it is nice when your captain can come in and make a statement with his fists to instill boundaries and let the other team know they mean business.  Sometimes words just don't cut it. 

Throughout your post, you repeatedly mention that it is necessary for a captain to be good at fighting/be able to drop the gloves. I really don't believe that is the case... Look at all the other captains around the league. How many of them regularly drop the gloves? How many of them are good fighters? Well, lets take a look...

So no... it is not necessary for a captain to be a fighter, or a good one. I think whats important is that a captain is WILLING to step up and fight, no matter if he gets beat or not. That shows heart, and for a team to see their captain fired up and ready to drop them, thats what gets them going. I think Cammy has the fire to do that...

Not saying he should be captain because of that! Just saying that him not being a good fighter really shouldn't be a reason for him to be discounted as potential candidate. 

Read again.

I don't think they will rush into a new captaincy. I think they will see who steps up and earns it. Over the past few years I always thought Giordano was the next captain of this team, but he has just had an awful year thus far, but he could snap out of his funk.

It's sad, but nobody else for me screams captain. I don't like Glencross as captain. Cammy has great work ethic, but he has the ability to dissappear for stretches.

Jay-Bo is having a resurgent year, but he might even be moved as well.

Want a dark horse? How about Backlund? He's passionate, and has looked really really good this year. Who knows how vocal he can be, and if he has leadership qualities in the room.

Want a dark horse? How about Backlund? He's passionate, and has looked really really good this year. Who knows how vocal he can be, and if he has leadership qualities in the room.

I think there is some merit there. He has easily been the more consistent day in, day out. If he stays healthy for a long stretch, it would still be a long shot, but it's possible.

I don't think they will rush into a new captaincy. I think they will see who steps up and earns it. Over the past few years I always thought Giordano was the next captain of this team, but he has just had an awful year thus far, but he could snap out of his funk.

I completely agree with that statement. I think if Iggy is moved, the flames should go with no captain for the remainder of the season. Let somebody step up next season...or beyond that. The blue jackets still don't have a captin yet...and I don't think thats a bad thing.

As for Calgary, the team has only seen one caption in the last 10 years. Rather than giving it to somebody straight away and having them try to fill Iggy's shoes (by contantly being the leading scorer on the team, fighting, ect)....i would say the flames should sit back and let a caption emerge. Every player would have a different style and theres no wrong answer on how to caption a team. Plus it would change the culture of the team by letting somebody setup over time to become caption.

Archived