The Next Captain

s4xon

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comeau for Captain. I mean the guy has speed,skills with the puck and of course you can't forget that he was a previous 24 goal scorer.  Not to mention that Hartley always liked him and the fact he played with Iginla on the first line. If however he ends up being traded, then I'd say Butler for Captain. 

Comeau for Captain. I mean the guy has speed,skills with the puck and of course you can't forget that he was a previous 24 goal scorer.  Not to mention that Hartley always liked him and the fact he played with Iginla on the first line. If however he ends up being traded, then I'd say Butler for Captain. 

April fools was yesterday mate.

Chris Butler or Roman Cervenka (if he signs an extension with the Flames).

Why Butler?

Just look at the guy. He's a beast. He causes trouble all around the rink. His name strikes fear amongst the opposing forces. CHRIS BUTLER. That name is a captain's name.

Another name that popped into my mind is Cervenka.

Why Cervenka?

The guy is multigifted. He can communicate with Horak also with Hudler in a way no other member of the team can. Roman and Jiri work perfectly together. They are our own Sedin twins. Do the Flames really need a captain, who speaks English fluently? Not in my mind.

---

My serious answer to the question is Mark Giordano, but only if he finds his old game.

• 2 weeks later...

my vote for next captain would be Wideman. I love his competitive spirit. We're probably going to need someone current for a few years until one of the new Young Guns 2.0 steps up and inserts some influence on the team.. Gio I like .. hope he stays with us for a few years and would make a good asst. cap.. Cammy I think is probably in his last year here and imo is too close to Iggy to probably consider it.. Tanguay may or may not be back and not really captain material imo..  Glenx and Stepniak to me are great third line players that every team needs and I hope both of them stay but.. Hindmarsh and Hislop were the same type of players and they were never captains..None of out D besides wides and gio and brodie are most likely going to be here next year so no need to go there lol..any other candidates i'm missing??

• 2 months later...

It seems like there is still a ?? as to who our next captain will be.

Let me offer this small bit of thought to this conversation.

I really don't care who the next captain will be (Gio,Glencross) because it will be "short term" and looked upon by most people as the captain who followed Iggy.

The captain after that however is the interesting one.

As I look into my "hardly ever wrong crystal ball" th_crystal_ball_hands_lg_clr.gif

I see the "C" on Sean Monahan a season or two down the road. You read it here first.

Future captain is almost definitely Monahan so put it on somebody short term that may not be with the team in a few seasons (Wideman, Glencross, Giordano)

So far he hasn't even finished his first camp with the Flames so I think it is a bit early to anoint him as the future captain.  Put a gun to my head and I guess he is the front runner.  But we have a number of good leadership types available.  Bouma, Ramage, Knight, etc.  I also wouldn't count out Baertschi.  

It will be interesting to see who steps into the leadership role for the new Flames.  I am looking forward to watching it.  

I agree with kehatch that it's too early to slot an 18 year old who's been a member as the Flames organization for 2 weeks as the future captain. We'll find out when he is actually in the NHL if he emerges as a team leader. 

Even kids that earn a slot in the NHL straight out of junior are often given the captaincy before they are ready & it interfers with their play. Vincent Lacavalier serves as an example.

Ideally I'd like the players to vote on who'll be next to wear the "C" & "A"s as they know who their leaders are. But often management selects the player they want to represent them in interviews.

I'd have no problem going with 3 "A"s as ZZ suggested.

I saw what you did there...  I'm the guy that gave you +1...   :lol:

I never look for +s but now I looked. It doesn't show when I view my post.

I'll give you a + to see if those show for me.

Nope.

But as I said those never matter anyway. Some agree with me & some don't.

If they have a good arguement to change my mind I consider it but "Because I said so" doesn't really give credence to a point. I don't give a rat's (.) about weak arguements that sound exactly like their previous post.

Don't think the org will run 3 A's just for the reason that, you ask any youngster who his favourite player is and I bet 80% say the Captain. Jersey sales! Every kid wants to wear his captains jersey. I could be wrong, but seems like logical thinking... I am drunk tho.

I'd like to see a captain chosen for this upcoming season.  This team is going to need strong leadership and I think with three A's you might end up with mixed messages.  The problem is I don't see a clear cut guy to take the role.  My three choices, in no particular order, are:

Glencross - A leader on the ice and tremendous passion when he plays.  Committed to the team and the Flames community.  The only knock I have on him is he kind of lets his passionate play interfere with his game at times.

Giordano - Solid player.  Great guy with the media.  Can be a good leader on the ice and plays with a lot of heart.  The knock on him is he tends to take nights off with his physical game which is one of his better hockey traits.  He needs to play on the edge and some nights its just not there.

Wideman - Again solid player and very vocal on the ice.  We seen that several times through out last season.  He can lift the team with timely contributions on the score sheet.  The knocks on him are that he is still new to this team.  Not saying he hasn't paid his dues  but he may just not have the room like one of the older vets.

I thought about others like Cammi and Stemps but they are likely on their way out by season's end.  Other than that you would have to look at one of the younger guys but I don't think that's what you need on a team that's rebuilding.  You need strong veteran leadership to help guide through the transition until one of the youngsters is ready to assume the role. 

I personally think we should run with 3 A's this season and maybe even next. Let the young guys battle it out and then see who emerges. Gio and Glencross are only short term solutions and can fulfill the role wearing and A just as easily short term.

i do not mind this idea as well. just look back at last year after the Iginla trade. Not saying he was at fault just think that everyone picked their game up. But also think that the guys wearing the A's showed more leadership on the ice without a captain.( leaders want to be the #1 leader) To start the season without a captain is not a bad idea but they should select one before the season is done.

I never look for +s but now I looked. It doesn't show when I view my post.

I'll give you a + to see if those show for me.

Nope.

But as I said those never matter anyway. Some agree with me & some don't.

If they have a good arguement to change my mind I consider it but "Because I said so" doesn't really give credence to a point. I don't give a rat's (.) about weak arguements that sound exactly like their previous post.

You have +381 liked posts. Pretty high good until you consider your post count which is among the highest on these boards. v5fz8j.jpg

You have +381 liked posts. Pretty high good until you consider your post count which is among the highest on these boards. v5fz8j.jpg

It's cause he's from Manitoba ooooooooooooo +1 lol joking

But staying on topic, I think you need a solid captain, we don't need a rotating door of leadership like Minnesota had. But if say Monahan shows great signs of being a future captain you could slap the "c" on Cammy as we all know is temporary then nobody feels robbed if you then give it to Monahan. But that's a big "IF" lol

Archived