Markus Granlund Watch

Does Granlund still have a contract over there though? Lots of Euro's have NHL outs in their contracts, so I am not sure if he is here through said out, or because he fulfilled his contract.

I agree with your post in terms of if he is under contract with a team in Europe, but I believe if the flames "loan" him to a Euro team we could still recall him much like if we loaned him to another AHL farm team.

The disadvantage of that is:

1) he may be under contract with said club,

2) he may be unwilling to go over and come back halfway through the season,

3) the flames pay his salary and are unable to steer his destiny in the way they could if he was in North America,

4) other things I am forgetting.

No but he would need one if they wanted to loan him there. I think international federations make concessions during a lockout but I think generally the policy is that a contract is a contract and the agreement is that they are not broken. I don't think he would be subject to the waiver clause Red is mentioning because he has a contract and it would be an agreed loan whereas O'Reily had no contract so he needed to clear waivers but I also think there are rules between the federations and the NHL to prevent player movement mid season.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

16 points in 20 games. 8 goals, +5. He's having a very good year, especially for a rookie. I had doubts on Granlund adaptation to NA, but it seems like he'll be battling for a regular spot in the next couple of years. It's finally nice to see that we have some promising centres with talent. 

• 2 weeks later...

This kid definitely needs to be talked about a little more.  He's been stellar since getting through the acclimation period.

8880d87c5f20eea5c5e11e01ad2e8b5f.png

the rest here @ http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696219&navid=DL|CGY|home

Not sure if he'll get his cup of coffee after the trade deadline, but I wouldn't be suprised if he's contending for a spot out of main camp next season.  One thing for certain, Granlund is being developed right.

This kid definitely needs to be talked about a little more.  He's been stellar since getting through the acclimation period.

8880d87c5f20eea5c5e11e01ad2e8b5f.png

the rest here @ http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696219&navid=DL|CGY|home

Not sure if he'll get his cup of coffee after the trade deadline, but I wouldn't be suprised if he's contending for a spot out of main camp next season.  One thing for certain, Granlund is being developed right.

I think (hope) that the Flames are going to have a pretty active deadline leaving a bunch of space for the kids.  Similar to last season I expect we will see most of the kids for a game or three.  

Barring injury I fully expect to see Granlund, Gaudreau, Arnold, Hanowski, Agostino, Ferland, Hanowski, Knight, Wortherspoon, Reinhart, Ortio, Baertschi, and Ramage.  Probably others too.  

I think (hope) that the Flames are going to have a pretty active deadline leaving a bunch of space for the kids.  Similar to last season I expect we will see most of the kids for a game or three.  

Barring injury I fully expect to see Granlund, Gaudreau, Arnold, Hanowski, Agostino, Ferland, Hanowski, Knight, Wortherspoon, Reinhart, Ortio, Baertschi, and Ramage.  Probably others too.  

Does Burke operate that way by infusing the lineup with kids after the deadline?  Not sure, but at the same time, I don't expect a few vets to be around either. 

I wouldn't be surprised if David Jones is bought out.  He's done nothing in the past 7 games and has been reduced to healthy scratches at $4 mil a season.  Cammy should be gone, and we might see Hudler shipped out since his stock has been raised this year, although I would prefer him to be around for the rebuild.

If we see an exit of vets and a number of holes, I still don't know if Granlund would be one of the fillers for the positions.  Gaudreau, if he signs, would definitely be given a ticket.  Probably Agostino, Arnold, Ferland and Knight as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he may get a chance to play. Called up to Calgary prior to the Nucks game.

Good luck, Markus.

He certainly earned it. Granlund has been steadily developing and it's showing.  Hopefully he makes enough of a splash to stay and develop at the NHL level.  It would be nice to see him turn into the better of the 2 brothers.

I don't think it will be like last year for 2 reasons, one because the lockout the NHL regular season ended before the AHL season, which basically allowed for expanded rosters which won't happen this year with the AHL season ending after the NHL.  Second being the Heat are doing too good so doubt they will deplete that, if anything I think a Calder Cup run might be the best thing for the organization, throw in Monahan once the season is done and our kids have an excellent opportunity to learn winning it all.

I don't think it will be like last year for 2 reasons, one because the lockout the NHL regular season ended before the AHL season, which basically allowed for expanded rosters which won't happen this year with the AHL season ending after the NHL.  Second being the Heat are doing too good so doubt they will deplete that, if anything I think a Calder Cup run might be the best thing for the organization, throw in Monahan once the season is done and our kids have an excellent opportunity to learn winning it all.

It won't be exactly like it.  But the Flames have already had 7 rookies play a game or more (Breen, Colborne, Monahan, Reinhart, Baertschi, Billins, MacDermid).  It will be 8 if Granlund plays.  They have also had AHL regulars like Horak, Bouma, B Jones, Byron, and Street play at least one game.  With vets likely departing at the deadline I could definitely see other players get trial call ups.

• 1 month later...

Heat lost 5-4 in OT this afternoon, after having a 4-1 lead after 1.

Granlund scored a goal and added an assist, adding to his hot streak.  He now has 7 goals, and 7 assists for 14 points in his last 9 GP and is also a +9 along the stretch as well.

Leads all AHL rookies in goals with 23 and is 4th overall in goals in the AHL.

Looking like he is adapting more and more to the North American game.

Good to see!

Heat lost 5-4 in OT this afternoon, after having a 4-1 lead after 1.

Granlund scored a goal and added an assist, adding to his hot streak.  He now has 7 goals, and 7 assists for 14 points in his last 9 GP and is also a +9 along the stretch as well.

Leads all AHL rookies in goals with 23 and is 4th overall in goals in the AHL.

Looking like he is adapting more and more to the North American game.

Good to see!

It would be nice to see him up on the big team for a few games to see if he is the real deal.  Impressive that he has adapted to the smaller ice in his first year pro.  I wonder what a line of Baertsci/Granlund/Ferland (or Knight) would look like at the NHL level?

Baertschi seems to be collecting points (lately) playing with Jooris and Locke.  Not exactly the most talented linemates.

This kid is a stud! His game has transitioned well to the N. American style of game. It seems as though this is the style of game he wants to play, as he has shown better stats in Abbotsford than when he was playing for HIFK of Liiga.

Hopefully when this kid cracks the roster he is here to stay. With that mammoth of a shot, flames are adding something they desperately lack and that is a pure sniper. 

If Granlund continues on this pace as he is now he might just end up being in our top 6 in a few years. Which is probably beyond most expectations that we have had of this kid. Cheers.

Archived