Markus Granlund Watch

I realize Markus Granlund isn't in the same category with likes of Bärtschi, but since I sometimes see him play, I figured I'd start a thread.

He's been playing in HIFK in SM-Liiga (finnish elite league) with men, and has kept this spot on the roster so far. He's been playing center, wing, and is sometimes used as a point-man in PP. He has a long way to go physically, but otherwise has surprised me a little.

HIFK has been struggling lately, but Granlund hasn't been a liability. He passes well, has a good shot, and generally makes sensible and good decisions with the puck.

------

His stats so far (HIFK 2011-2012):

27gp. 7+10=17, 8 PIM, +12, 78 shots, averaging 15.29 minutes per game. (updated Jan.17)

------------

U20 games

Nov.10 - there was a U20 game between FIN and RUS, played in Vaasa, Finland. Finland won the game 3-1, Granlund getting 1+1 and playing on the top line with Teemu Pulkkinen (DET prospect, 1+2 in the game).

Nov.11 - U20 FIN-CZE 5-2. Granlund with 5 assists. Pulkkinen 3+0.

U20 WJC - you know how it went. 7gp 2+5=7pts and +5. Wasn't great, didn't suck either.

-------------

SM-Liiga games

Nov.15 HIFK-Lukko 4-1. Markus Granlund 2+0, his brother assisted on both goals. Markus 1st star of the game. 8 shots, about 15 minutes icetime. +2.

Nov.17 Blues-HIFK 2-1. Markus Granlund with HIFK's lone goal. The goal itself was a pretty lacrosse sweep, much like what his brother did in world championships earlier this year. He got the puck (rebounding from his own shot) while sliding behind the net and did his thing. Very nice. Goalie was already down, though, but it was still cool. Markus had many shots, played a lot (over 18 minutes) and created good scoring chances. He played in the same line with his brother. Markus was the 2nd star of the game.

Nov.19 HIFK-TPS 3-4. Markus had one assist and played in the top line with his brother, who had a goal and an assist.

Nov.22 SaiPa-HIFK 0-1, Markus had no points. Didn't play on 1st line.

Nov.25 HIFK-Pelicans 3-1. Markus had a goal, while his brother had 1+1. Both Granlunds in the same line.

Nov.26 Pelicans-HIFK 3-6. Markus had one assist, didn't play with his brother, who got 2 goals and took the league scoring lead again.

Nov.30 HIFK-HPK 3-2. Markus had 2 assists to his brother's 2 goals, and the first one was a beautiful saucer pass. Played in the top line.

Dec.2 KalPa-HIFK 4-0, so naturally no points. -2.

Dec.3 HIFK-Ilves 5-1. Markus had a goal and an assist, and was selected as the 1st star of the game. His goal came from a good wrist shot to the upper far corner. He assisted Kimmo Kuhta's 4-1 goal with a really pretty and quick pass from the boards behind the goal line. Played on the top line again.

Dec.5 and Dec.9 Jokerit-HIFK 2-4 / HIFK-TPS 1-3, no points, top line minutes. Delivered a good screen on a couple of goals in Jokerit-game.

Dec.10 Ilves-HIFK 0-3, Markus got a nice assist, even though it was an EN goal. After this game Markus joined the U20 team. On this current date (Jan.7) He's 2nd on his team and 9th in the league with plus/minus of +13.

Jan.17 HIFK-Tappara 2-3. Markus scored the first goal of the game, playing on the top line with his brother and getting almost 30min of icetime (ridiculous).

I will update this thread once in a while.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! A person who is actually seeing him play.. very cool to know that! Keep us updated bro. :)

I could just look it up.. but how much weight is he currently playing with?

Two sources are saying he is 178cm and 74kg, but I'd say he's gained at least some weight and he surely will in the next couple of years.

(that would be 5,84 feet and 163 pounds. damn these conversions)

Yeah he will surely start getting more muscle mass on his frame.. especially given the fact that he's only 18 right?

I know his brother is highly touted.. it's cool to have a kid like this in our system. Oh and thank you for replying lol, I'm having a laying in bed typing on one side kinda afternoon. :lol:

Yeah he will surely start getting more muscle mass on his frame.. especially given the fact that he's only 18 right?

I know his brother is highly touted.. it's cool to have a kid like this in our system.

He's 18, yes. Turns 19 in April.

Yep, his brother will be awesome. Already is, but will get better. Minnesota will love him. He also has a bad concussion under his belt, luckily Markus doesn't.

Right now there's no telling where Markus will be in the future, could be that SM-Liiga/KHL is his upside, so let's not be too excited - especially when he seems to be the kind of player who is only useful in an offensive role. Anyway, it's not looking nearly as bad as I thought when Flames drafted him. Time will tell.

Aye, agreed Tempura. The Flames scouting staff supposedly had some new tools at their disposal last draft session.. read something about it IIRC. There's no telling where he may end up.. we surely know how many drafted players never even touch the NHL ice even once.

I suppose with everything this team has been through the last few seasons I'm trying to find positives wherever I can. Certainly not heralding him as the team savior or anything. :P

*Glass to the ceiling* Here's hoping the kid continues progressing.

Granlund still has only 5 points? That means he's ben struggling offensively doesn't it? Didn't he has 4 points after 5 or 6 games?

I think the SM-Liga is a tough league to judge players on offensively because of how low scoring of a league it is. If you average a point a game in the SM-Liga you have a good chance of winning the scoring title.

Markus Granlund should be on the Finnish WJC team so hopefully we will get a chance to see what he has to offer then.

I think the SM-Liga is a tough league to judge players on offensively because of how low scoring of a league it is. If you average a point a game in the SM-Liga you have a good chance of winning the scoring title.

Markus Granlund should be on the Finnish WJC team so hopefully we will get a chance to see what he has to offer then.

I am aware, but it still means after a strong start his offense numbers have tapered off

Granlund still has only 5 points? That means he's ben struggling offensively doesn't it? Didn't he has 4 points after 5 or 6 games?

The whole team began to struggle after an OK start, everyone is having trouble right now. Yes, Markus got his 4 points very fast at the start. They have the best roster on paper in the leaque, and they just...nothing seems to work. Many people expecting coaching changes. What I'm glad about is that Markus has been able to keep his place in the roster. Before the season started, it was expected that he would maybe get a few games under his belt with the men's team - if any at all.

Also, SM-Liiga doesn't suck as much some would think (not accusing you of saying that). Only very rarely a junior aged player can really dominate. His brother can do it (though he's struggling within the same team right now, too), and even Pulkkinen, who's been really good in his team, isn't a dominant player yet.

Luckily there is a break in the league now, because of the Euro Hockey Tournament and a U20 tournament in Vaasa.

Short answer: yes, his production has been about zero in the last games with HIFK.

Right now, there's a U20 game between FIN and CZE going on, Granlund is racking points like an animal. I'll update soon.

The whole team began to struggle after an OK start, everyone is having trouble right now. Yes, Markus got his 4 points very fast at the start. They have the best roster on paper in the leaque, and they just...nothing seems to work. Many people expecting coaching changes. What I'm glad about is that Markus has been able to keep his place in the roster. Before the season started, it was expected that he would maybe get a few games under his belt with the men's team - if any at all.

Also, SM-Liiga doesn't suck as much some would think (not accusing you of saying that). Only very rarely a junior aged player can really dominate. His brother can do it (though he's struggling within the same team right now, too), and even Pulkkinen, who's been really good in his team, isn't a dominant player yet.

Luckily there is a break in the league now, because of the Euro Hockey Tournament and a U20 tournament in Vaasa.

Short answer: yes, his production has been about zero in the last games with HIFK.

Right now, there's a U20 game between FIN and CZE going on, Granlund is racking points like an animal. I'll update soon.

I look forward to the updates.

I am just worried that the start of the year was a sign of nothing and was just a mere hot streak.

I am just worried that the start of the year was a sign of nothing and was just a mere hot streak.

I'm not expecting nothing yet from him, within a year or two it'll be more clear where he stands. The plus side is though that he's not playing in juniors. HIFK team is full of respected finnish veterans like Ville Peltonen, Janne Pesonen, Kimmo Kuhta, Kim Hirschovits, Eero Somervuori, Petteri Wirtanen etc.

OK, U20 FIN-CZE final result: 5-2. Finnish scoring as follows:

1-0 Pokka (Granlund, Paajanen) PP

2-0 Armia (Granlund, Paajanen)

3-0 Pulkkinen (Granlund, Hakanpää) PP

4-0 Pulkkinen (Hakanpää, Granlund) PP

5-1 Pulkkinen (Granlund) PP

...so 0+5 with 4 primary assists.

keep in mind that most top scandinavian prospects don't actually put up huge amounts of points. an 18 year old who scaores 29 points in 43 games (a la joel armia) is a top line player in finland. most of the best players only score at about a point per game clip, unlike players from say the ohl, where oftentimes they well exceed 2 points per game. An average team has a top scorer only put up about 30 points in around 40 games at best.

so considering those circumstances, and the fact that he will be spending at least another season after this in finland, i'm less concerned about the overall numbers as much as the fact that he has been able to stick in a role with one of the stronger teams over there. plenty of strong finnish prospects cant even make the top team til 19 or 20.

keep in mind that most top scandinavian prospects don't actually put up huge amounts of points. an 18 year old who scaores 29 points in 43 games (a la joel armia) is a top line player in finland. most of the best players only score at about a point per game clip, unlike players from say the ohl, where oftentimes they well exceed 2 points per game. An average team has a top scorer only put up about 30 points in around 40 games at best.

so considering those circumstances, and the fact that he will be spending at least another season after this in finland, i'm less concerned about the overall numbers as much as the fact that he has been able to stick in a role with one of the stronger teams over there. plenty of strong finnish prospects cant even make the top team til 19 or 20.

I am well aware of the production levels of other professional leagues and how difficult it is for younger players to establish full time roles. Which is why his start was so impressive to me and got my hopes up. Which like I said leads me to believe his start was a mere hot streak and not what I was hoping when it happened.

What a goal!

WOW!

Anybody who thinks the Flames don't have a future is living in the distant past (which is the majority of the fans right now).

Amazing goal. I bet we'll see this kid fighting for a roster spot next year (more likely he'll get it in 2-3 years).

I've seen these goals before, but usually it's with players who have lots of setup time behind the net. This one was in motion...it was reproduceable in a fast moving game.

Nice Work!

WOW!

Anybody who thinks the Flames don't have a future is living in the distant past (which is the majority of the fans right now).

Amazing goal. I bet we'll see this kid fighting for a roster spot next year (more likely he'll get it in 2-3 years).

I've seen these goals before, but usually it's with players who have lots of setup time behind the net. This one was in motion...it was reproduceable in a fast moving game.

Nice Work!

I woudlnt' get your hopes up.

Grandlund is a project, a fairly bit project IMO. He has alot of growing to do in his frame, and a ton of growing to do on his overal game. I would be aboslutlye shocked beyond belief if he is even close to a roster spot next year, he is a 2 to 3 year minimum project . LIke someone said above, Granlund right now is all offence and skill he has nothing else to complement his game and the Flames would be unwise to rush him along. He is going to need to play in the Liiga for a couple more years, then come over and spend a year or two in the A before he is NHL ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived