Markus Granlund Watch

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I like what I have seen from Granlund. He needs to get stronger, but he has a good skill set and I like the fact that he is willing to take and initiate contact to make a play. If he continues along this trajectory I could see him making Backlund expendable in the near future.

I like what I have seen from Granlund. He needs to get stronger, but he has a good skill set and I like the fact that he is willing to take and initiate contact to make a play. If he continues along this trajectory I could see him making Backlund expendable in the near future.

Me too. It looked like Grandlunds game was transitioning well to to the NHL. He was playing well in all situations, whether it be on the penalty kill, power play or even strength. He looked like he belonged and he will get every opportunity to make the big club next year.

It sucks that he got injured, he was just finding his game. Does anyone know how long he will be out for? I know he was put on the IR, but is their a timetable for his return? I hope its in time for Abbys playoff run

Granlund is the type of prospect that could end up in obscurity or could be the next big thing. Of course I am hoping for the latter.

I think know that is your shortest post. Ever!!

I tend to agree with the assessment.  He may just be as skilled as his brother, and he may actually adapt better to the NA game.  So far he is ahead of where his brother was, IMHO.

• 3 months later...

I know this is a little soon. But we can now proudly say we have a surplus at centre. I love Granlund but he isn't 4th line material and might be wasted on the wing. What should we do? What about Reinhardt and Knight?

Granlund can play wing, plus I think he is still another year away from being a full time NHLer.

Reinhart played the whole year on the wing last year.

Knight is a bottom 6 guy either way and really needs to work on his skating to make the jump to the NHL.

Watching SJ in the last 2 playoffs I can see how a surplus of centers on a team can be a big advantage in the faceoff circle. This assumes of course that those natural centers who are playing wing are decent in the faceoff circle too.

When a viable strategy these days, is to get the opponents "good face off guy" thrown out of the face-off circle, then to have decent backup on the wing is a good thing.

We may have a surplus of centres sure but I also think it's worth remembering they are all prospects at this point. Let them battle it out to see what we have before starting to take about positions changed etc. a surplus of centres would also make the flames a very attractive trade target which is going to be key for them to add a few pieces.

We may have a surplus of centres sure but I also think it's worth remembering they are all prospects at this point. Let them battle it out to see what we have before starting to take about positions changed etc. a surplus of centres would also make the flames a very attractive trade target which is going to be key for them to add a few pieces.

or 

We could turn into the Avs North. Surplus in the center position and not able to keep  them all due to cap issues and/or future payments contract negotiations.

or 

We could turn into the Avs North. Surplus in the center position and not able to keep  them all due to cap issues and/or future payments contract negotiations.

I sure hope so.  Colorado has one of the strongest C position in the league.  There worst case scenario is getting a great return for O'Reilly and losing Stastny to free agency which still have Duchene, MacKinnon, and Mitchell up the middle.  They could keep them all of they weren't so pig headed about not spending over 6 million on a player.   

A lot of things worry me about the Flames.  The strength of our C depth isn't one of them.  

I sure hope so.  Colorado has one of the strongest C position in the league.  There worst case scenario is getting a great return for O'Reilly and losing Stastny to free agency which still have Duchene, MacKinnon, and Mitchell up the middle.  They could keep them all of they weren't so pig headed about not spending over 6 million on a player.   

A lot of things worry me about the Flames.  The strength of our C depth isn't one of them.  

You might be right. It may be a reaction to the offer and thus subsequent poor position our offersheet to ROR placed them. I think however it is more likely they are slightly behind the times in thinking on overall team building and cap issues.

The latest NHL cap keeps going up and the top end players keep getting a larger % of the overall team budget. One of the better ways to look at it is to pay those top "build around your top players" the going rate, try to lock them in early for a long term and then fill in other positions as much as you can from prospect pools.

IMO The prospect pool offers the most judicious use of cap budget spending for most teams compared to FA spending and trading for the players/positions you need to fill.

Archived