Markus Granlund Watch

So far, so good!

Markus gets his first point without his brother:

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/12-13/hifk/granlund-markus/ottelu-ottelulta.html

This will be a very telling year. So far, he's off to the same pace as last year, minus Mikael.

If he can make as many improvements as he did last year, I think he's good a great shot at being a top 6 forward on the Flames.

When did Joni Ortio become his teammate? That's handy.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/12-13/hifk/ortio-joni/ottelu-ottelulta.html

Ortio started off okay but just got pummelled in his last game.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/ottelut/tilastot/37531.html

I'd imagine the compete-level everywhere will be slightly higher with the lockout. Good for development, anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost in the hoopla of Gaudreau (and maybe rightfully so..),

Granlund is having an Outstanding juniors showing. Better than Gaudreau, in many regards.

2nd in points (9), only RNH has more.

He's also tied for the lead in goals, with 5 (also tied with Gaudreau).

Ultimately, I see Gaudreau winning this (like most of you), but mainly because the US team is more likely to advance than Finland. So far, Granlund is the best player on his team. Meanwhile, Gaudreau is just on the Border of being on the first line for team US, simply because of their abundance of talent.

So...difficult comparison. Different teams they're facing too.

I will say this: We should be excited about both. Gaudreau probably has more raw talent and potential, but Granlund is in a better position to realize his potential, being 5 '11.

2011 may turn out to be an Incredible draft year for the Flames...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rwaIhHMaQ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Could this thread...be nearing it's end?  By the looks of the last two games, Granlund might be making a case for the NHL.  

It's a long shot.  Personally, I hope he spends at least one year in the A.  But he's making it a difficult decision.

If there is one prospect that has elevated my opinion of him this summer it is Granlund.  The knock was he wasn't physical.  Well he has been going to the net and fighting in the corners and hasn't looked soft at all.  The knock was he wasn't a good skater.  I haven't had any issues with his skating.  He looks creative in the offensive zone and is putting up numbers.  He is doing well on the face off dot.  I have even liked him in the d-zone.  

I don't know how well that transitions to the NA pro game.  But right now he looks really good. 

If there is one prospect that has elevated my opinion of him this summer it is Granlund.  The knock was he wasn't physical.  Well he has been going to the net and fighting in the corners and hasn't looked soft at all.  The knock was he wasn't a good skater.  I haven't had any issues with his skating.  He looks creative in the offensive zone and is putting up numbers.  He is doing well on the face off dot.  I have even liked him in the d-zone.  

I don't know how well that transitions to the NA pro game.  But right now he looks really good. 

I agree his 2 way game has improved quite a bit, last night I noticed he was positionally sound while back checking in our zone taking away lanes covering his man was excellent, his offensive talent is obvious, and his board play I was impressed with strong on the puck and his skates. Right now he looks a step ahead of Knight and Monahan, Could have a real shot with the big club but I see him more of a top 6 guy in Abby being better for his development rather than a bottom 6 with the Flames.

I agree his 2 way game has improved quite a bit, last night I noticed he was positionally sound while back checking in our zone taking away lanes covering his man was excellent, his offensive talent is obvious, and his board play I was impressed with strong on the puck and his skates. Right now he looks a step ahead of Knight and Monahan, Could have a real shot with the big club but I see him more of a top 6 guy in Abby being better for his development rather than a bottom 6 with the Flames.

I agree with that right now.  However, if he continues to impress in camp I am fine giving him some time in the NHL.  He has been playing against adults for a couple of seasons now.  It isn't like he is jumping in straight out of junior.  

The question for me is will he stay in the AHL if he is put there.  He has an out clause allowing him to return to Europe if he doesn't make the NHL.  His brother stuck it out in the AHL and I hope he will as well.  But it is tough to know for sure.  

I agree, and I really believe the best thing for him is a solid year in the AHL.  He has an outside chance of becoming a top-6 forward, and so far this year his chances look better ever game he plays.

If he joins the Flames this year, I expect we'll see him groomed into a 3rd line role, have his whole style messed up, and then get sent down to the AHL confused in his roles.

It does beg the question, though:  Could he ever....be as good as his brother?

Certainly to this stage, he's flirted with it but so far the answer has been no.

I've heard the comparison of Pavel Bure to Valerei bure, where Pavel was always rated higher, from junior to retirement.

But, it's not in stone.   There are other brothers, such as Ted and Chris Drury.

Ted was the higher-rated player, all through junior and even in US College.  Chris never did manage to put up Ted's Hobey Baker numbers.

But then things changed.

We can always hope this is more of a Drury story than a Bure story.  You never know.

I agree with that right now.  However, if he continues to impress in camp I am fine giving him some time in the NHL.  He has been playing against adults for a couple of seasons now.  It isn't like he is jumping in straight out of junior.  

The question for me is will he stay in the AHL if he is put there.  He has an out clause allowing him to return to Europe if he doesn't make the NHL.  His brother stuck it out in the AHL and I hope he will as well.  But it is tough to know for sure.  

I don't remember the source, but wasn't he quoted as saying that he wanted to come to NA to adjust to the style of hockey, not just come here just to play in the NHL.  His brother would probably advise him to stick it out, since he is still a prospect as well.

I have high hopes for Markus.  He may have the stuff to be as good or better than his brother.  Sure, his brother hasn't done anything yet, but still might become a top six guy.  So far Markus has shown flashes of it, and might just be ready for the next big step.

I Don't know, all depends on his camp.  If he is able to handle NHL level I could see him on 2nd line easy as we really don't have any good Ctrs besides Backlund's one good year.  If Grandlund keeps this up he may even push stajan right off the team and I'm fine with that, I could live with a 1-2 punch down the middle of Backlund and Grandlund this year, heck even next year, as Monahan looks like he could use a year in the A by comparison to Grandlund.

From what I have seen so far he looks like an NHLer at a prospect camp, he stands out by far and I think he will make a solid 2nd line ctr this year.

Even if he is on the 3rd, consider this, with Monahan, Backlund and Grandlund at Ctr someone needs to play the 3rd line so it would probably be Backs or Grands anyway on the 3rd.

In 2 words...

He's Ready!

I agree, and I really believe the best thing for him is a solid year in the AHL.  He has an outside chance of becoming a top-6 forward, and so far this year his chances look better ever game he plays.

If he joins the Flames this year, I expect we'll see him groomed into a 3rd line role, have his whole style messed up, and then get sent down to the AHL confused in his roles.

It does beg the question, though:  Could he ever....be as good as his brother?

Certainly to this stage, he's flirted with it but so far the answer has been no.

I've heard the comparison of Pavel Bure to Valerei bure, where Pavel was always rated higher, from junior to retirement.

But, it's not in stone.   There are other brothers, such as Ted and Chris Drury.

Ted was the higher-rated player, all through junior and even in US College.  Chris never did manage to put up Ted's Hobey Baker numbers.

But then things changed.

We can always hope this is more of a Drury story than a Bure story.  You never know.

Fair points for sure, but to be honest with you, watching him play I really like what I see from him and happy with what he is bringing to the table already regardless of his brother he looks like a great all round solid player,

If he becomes a star so be it, but if not and he's just a solid all round guy then he's proven his weight in gold as we need these types of guys that actually have some skill to bring to the table.  Sure we have some all round guys but not since the days of Conny and langkow have we had the all round guy with skill.  Grandlund looks to be that type of guy and we badly need that.

Exactly this!

Hes played great against prospects and definately looks poised to do well in the NHL. The question of the NHL will depend on how he does in preseason games. I think at worse he plays in games this year due to injuries.

I agree with this. I say give him the preseason and his 9 games. Use him in the top 6 and in all situations. That should be ample enough time to judge where he belongs.

I agree with this. I say give him the preseason and his 9 games. Use him in the top 6 and in all situations. That should be ample enough time to judge where he belongs.

Granlund isn't limited to 9-games.  That is a CHL restriction.  Granlund can move between the AHL and NHL freely.  

I am fine with that to by all means if he plays great in pre season and shows he can hang with the big boys then let him play.

That is a good question I think if Ortio sticks around he will as well, like you said he's been playing with adults over in Finland and obviously improved his game over there and with his brother playing in the AHL last year and the way the Flames are in re build mode I would suspect if he has to go that route he understands its the quickest way to get to the NHL level. I'm a little foggy on the rule but if he decides to go back to Finland he cannot be recalled..? Can anyone clarify that? 

I'm foggy too.   I think it depends on how he goes back.  But I would imagine we wouldn't be able to recall him.

From everything I've seen, he's playing to go on the first line of the Heat.   With the possibility of NHL callups.

If he can keep doing what he's doing, I can't imagine him turning down the opportunity.  A few NHL games would more than make up for the salary difference.

no, he's is a hyphenated word, so it counts as one, ready is only one word, ergo, 2 words lol!

doh!

If a player goes to Europe and has a contract with a European club then he cannot be recalled because contracts are respected on both sides, is my understanding. If Granlund goes over there he isn't likely to be back this season.

thx cross

If a player goes to Europe and has a contract with a European club then he cannot be recalled because contracts are respected on both sides, is my understanding. If Granlund goes over there he isn't likely to be back this season.

Does Granlund still have a contract over there though? Lots of Euro's have NHL outs in their contracts, so I am not sure if he is here through said out, or because he fulfilled his contract.

I agree with your post in terms of if he is under contract with a team in Europe, but I believe if the flames "loan" him to a Euro team we could still recall him much like if we loaned him to another AHL farm team.

The disadvantage of that is:

1) he may be under contract with said club,

2) he may be unwilling to go over and come back halfway through the season,

3) the flames pay his salary and are unable to steer his destiny in the way they could if he was in North America,

4) other things I am forgetting.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that once a player plays a single game in Europe he has to clear waivers if the NHL club tries to bring him back during the season.  This (almost) happened with the Ryan O'Reilly fiasco.  And that's only if the NHL has a transfer agreement with that particular league.  In the case of the KHL, for instance, I believe that the player is "stuck" their for the duration of the season, at least.

Either way, the absolute best thing for Granlund is to spend a year in the AHL and learn the North American pro game.  He has the skill and appears to have the determination.  The only thing lacking is experience.

Archived