Markus Granlund Watch

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I might comment on what I thought of Grandlund at the game last night.

Was a mixed reaction, in the sense I dont' think he played poorly but he didn't play that well either. What I did like is he did not shy away from physical play (lots of the Finish players did) and he even mixed it up in front of the net. So he should a decent amount of fiestiness which you like to see from European players IMO.

However, where I was a little dissapointined is you saw no skill game from him. His brother really showcased some awesome passing ability and vision, where Markus was much more even keel. he missed a copule of in close opporutnities where his brother fed him some awesome feeds but one Visentin make a solid save and one missed the net.

So may not sound great but I think its a decent report given that the biggest concern that I had about Grandlund was his ability to transfer to North America and he did show last night he has made steps in that direction. However, for a guy that is a 2nd round pick, and carries his skill level you want to see more on that side he continues to make strides as the tournament progresses.

Was a mixed reaction, in the sense I dont' think he played poorly but he didn't play that well either. What I did like is he did not shy away from physical play (lots of the Finish players did) and he even mixed it up in front of the net. So he should a decent amount of fiestiness which you like to see from European players IMO.

However, where I was a little dissapointined is you saw no skill game from him. His brother really showcased some awesome passing ability and vision, where Markus was much more even keel. he missed a copule of in close opporutnities where his brother fed him some awesome feeds but one Visentin make a solid save and one missed the net.

So may not sound great but I think its a decent report given that the biggest concern that I had about Grandlund was his ability to transfer to North America and he did show last night he has made steps in that direction. However, for a guy that is a 2nd round pick, and carries his skill level you want to see more on that side he continues to make strides as the tournament progresses.

I agree with you to an extent. I found that he showed really good play making at time, but it seemed like he backed away from taking shots. He thinks that it's his brother's show, and that's probably why we didn't see a lot of skill from him.

Two sources are saying he is 178cm and 74kg, but I'd say he's gained at least some weight and he surely will in the next couple of years.

(that would be 5,84 feet and 163 pounds. damn these conversions)

I thought Mikeal Was 5.8 and Markus was 5.10

Links:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19426

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Markus_Granlund

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=132220

All these site say he is 5.10

Mikael has been to 2 prior WJs (would have been three if not injured). This is Markus' first (is it not?). You are going to say he lacked any offensive flair in the first game he has played here?

How about we give him a couple days to unpack his underwear and have a cheeseburger before we start analyzing his play too much?

I thought for game one he looked pretty good. And I am thrilled he is on the 1st line where he is going to get some great experience and opportunities.

Mikael has been to 2 prior WJs (would have been three if not injured). This is Markus' first (is it not?). You are going to say he lacked any offensive flair in the first game he has played here?

How about we give him a couple days to unpack his underwear and have a cheeseburger before we start analyzing his play too much?

I thought for game one he looked pretty good. And I am thrilled he is on the 1st line where he is going to get some great experience and opportunities.

True that it's only preseason as well. If iginla has a poor preseason are you going to go up is rear?

I know, and this is exactly what I said in the last sentence. I'm not giving him a full on scouting report based on one game I'm just sharing my thoughts on the first game and where he coudl go from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry bros, forgot about this thread. I don't know how many of you saw all FIN U20 games, but I watched them all. First of all, Coach Helminen was in the wrong place. I don't blame him, I blame those (Kalervo Kummola) who don't hold U20 WJC-tournaments as high in importance as they should be. Helminen was basically thrown in to "learn how to coach", and it showed - in every player's performance. There wasn't a clear system to follow, and a lot of shyness and hesitation. Here in Europe, people in charge of hockey-related things are idiots. It's all about the men's WC tournament, which is silly. The fact that Finland was 4th is pretty ridiculous, maybe 6th would've be more justified.

Markus played "ok" I think. He hesitated sometimes a lot like everyone else, including his brother. But he was the fastest player in the 1st line (MaGranlund-MiGranlund-Pulkkinen), and should develop into a pretty fast guy if he invests himself into training hard and right. He showed some skill against Slovakia, including his passing ability, and it's sad that he couldn't perform better against the stronger countries. I'd give him a B minus. 7 points in 7 games is still something, and he led team FIN in plus/minus (+5) with defenseman Hovinen. He'll be with FIN U20 next season too. Now he'll join his team HIFK, will be interesting to see how he performs in playoffs (assuming they get there, but they will).

I'll update the first post now, and will continue to update the stats now that I remember this thread exists.

• 1 month later...

Time for another update, Tempura? (thank you for this thread, btw)

Looks like Markus now has more goals than his brother Mikael did at the same age (last year):

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0012222011.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=1222

And, he's done it in less games. From what I understand, he's also become faster than his brother, taller, and bigger.

As 17 year olds and 18 year olds, Mikael was without question the better player.

But, as he pushes 19, I'm thinking that Markus is starting to make a name for himself.

HIF Helsinki had just as much offense last year as this year, so I'm not convinced that it's just "his brother helping him out". My guess is that he's simply becoming a bigger force on the team.

I hope the Flames let him stay there one more year, like was done with Mikael. It may take a while but this kid is going to be something special.

Looks like Markus now has more goals than his brother Mikael did at the same age (last year):

And, he's done it in less games. From what I understand, he's also become faster than his brother, taller, and bigger.

As 17 year olds and 18 year olds, Mikael was without question the better player.

But, as he pushes 19, I'm thinking that Markus is starting to make a name for himself.

HIF Helsinki had just as much offense last year as this year, so I'm not convinced that it's just "his brother helping him out". My guess is that he's simply becoming a bigger force on the team.

I hope the Flames let him stay there one more year, like was done with Mikael. It may take a while but this kid is going to be something special.

there is a difference between Markus this year and Mikael at the same age that can not be ignored though, that being Markus is being centered by the best prospect in the world, Mikael didn't have that.

I am cautiously optimistic about Markus but until he shows he can play without an elite centerman I will withhold judgement.

More goals, but significantly less points. Markus is more of a goal scorer than Mikael, but Mikael is clearly the better player and better prospect without question. I don't think Markus is anything special and IMO still have a ways to go to show he can do something at the NHL level.

More goals, but significantly less points. Markus is more of a goal scorer than Mikael, but Mikael is clearly the better player and better prospect without question. I don't think Markus is anything special and IMO still have a ways to go to show he can do something at the NHL level.

Markus:

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/11-12/hifk/granlund-markus/ottelu-ottelulta.html

Mikael:

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/11-12/hifk/granlund-mikael/ottelu-ottelulta.html

Markus's production has picked up Significantly of late. Not just goals, but points too.

In 2012, Markus has 5 goals and 11 points in just 12 games.

Which means, that in the last two months, he has almost Doubled his goal totals, and moved to near Point-per-Game production.

In the same time span, Mikael as 8 goals and 12 points in 12 games.

The Gap is closing, even when we forget the age difference (yes, Mikael is still better, of course).

How did Mikael do in his first 12 games of 2011? 1 goal and 7 points.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/10-11/hifk/granlund-mikael/ottelu-ottelulta.html

Is this all due to Mikael's influence on Markus?

1. I frankly don't mind if it is, because I think it will make Markus a better hockey player for life.

2. I don't entirely buy that theory, because there was just as much offense on this team last year.

My thoughts:

Mikael was a phenomenal 16 and 17 year old hockey player. He has continued to improve, but is levelling off somewhat.

Markus was an underwhelming 16 and 17 year old hockey player, but with the same potential as his brother. In the last year or so, he has improved dramatically and has not yet received recognition for it.

there is a difference between Markus this year and Mikael at the same age that can not be ignored though, that being Markus is being centered by the best prospect in the world, Mikael didn't have that.

I am cautiously optimistic about Markus but until he shows he can play without an elite centerman I will withhold judgement.

Bit extreme?

Best C prospect? or prospect period? Even if you say C prospect it's not a given with these three coming up:

Huberdeau, Schwartz, Zibanejad

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.satakunnankansa.fi%2FKiekkoKansa%2F1194724623992%2Fartikkeli%2Fhifk%2Bvei%2Bkiihkean%2Billan.html

Okay everyone,

It's time for a major Markus Granlund Rethink. It's safe to say that he's one of our top 2 forward prospects (Baertschi is the other one). But now, it's not Baertschi and everyone else.

It's Beartsch, Granlund, and...everyone else.

As discussed at length, Mikael Granlund is widely considered to be the best Centre prospect in the NHL.

Well, as of today, Markus Granlund has 13 points in the first 12 games of 2012.

Why is it significant? Because that's identical to what his broker Mikael has. Incase you're wondering, this doesn't reflect poorly on Mikael. Mikael is doing Extremely well, and is on schedule to become an NHL star/superstar.

If you believe that hype about Mikael, then you have to believe the same for Markus.

He has closed the gap. He has been the faster skater for over a year, but now he has the same number of points.

Goalwise, Markus has 6 and his brother his 8. The fact that Mikael is a year older MORE than makes up for this difference.

As of this moment, I would draft Markus over Mikael. And I would draft Mikael much higher than he was originally drafted too (9th overall).

Are we looking at our future Number One Centre?

It's time to start asking the question.

Archived