2024 Free Agency

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Bob was such an extreme outlier and signed at a time the cap was shooting up too quickly.  Might see it again but i don't hink the cap environment now allows for it. 

ya, tough. I think the top end contracts of players have shot up in relation to the Cap, D and G are suffering from that. 

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, tough. I think the top end contracts of players have shot up in relation to the Cap, D and G are suffering from that. 

The defense will get their day with the cap rising.  Bouchard next year (possibly extended this year), Hughes and Makar will both be up in 3 years and only be 27 and 28 respectively.  I think those guys will get the market going above 10M for productive defensemen, do they approach the numbers of some of the forwards that are already around 13M, will wait and see. 

Goalies I think are a different beast, very few great ones.  Saros got 7.74, Sororkin got 8.25 last year, Helly got 8.  I think Shesterkin will get a good payday next year, after that who else is there.  Demko when healthy is in that class IMO, just not healthy enough to commit to, Swayman could be up there but he needs to prove he can run as a #1 first.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

this is insane

I think either DD or I am confused here.  I don't think you can go 8 years just by having the rights to a player.  I think they have to be on your reserve list by a certain point in the season.  2 days before UFA is not that.

I do admit I'm not sure on that.  Tkachuk was a sign and trade which is common.  Different situation but it allowed him to get 8 years.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think either DD or I am confused here.  I don't think you can go 8 years just by having the rights to a player.  I think they have to be on your reserve list by a certain point in the season.  2 days before UFA is not that.

I do admit I'm not sure on that.  Tkachuk was a sign and trade which is common.  Different situation but it allowed him to get 8 years.

he corrected the tweet. Your right, an 8 year is not an option unless player is on the reserve list before TDL 

So now Free agency. We have a crap load of capital and some holes that will require some filling short term. Conroy mentioned they want to stay competitive and create some mentorship for younger players if and when they come up. I also heard Kyington could be heading to FA. From what I can tell we will need 2 D-men and 2-3 forwards. Your going to have to do something, these drafts choices and last years are still 2-3+ years away. 

49 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So now Free agency. We have a crap load of capital and some holes that will require some filling short term. Conroy mentioned they want to stay competitive and create some mentorship for younger players if and when they come up. I also heard Kyington could be heading to FA. From what I can tell we will need 2 D-men and 2-3 forwards. Your going to have to do something, these drafts choices and last years are still 2-3+ years away. 

It’s why taking on 1-3 year term bad contracts and stacking picks makes so much sense for Cgy right now. We can do what Mlt did with us in the Monahan deal…may not be a 1st…or maybe pending on the contract. 

point is, with the cap room we can plug some roster holes with bad contracts of

players that are hindering other teams

signing big UFAs…again totally needs to be capped off at 1-3 year contract terms, preferably closer to 1 year is best. These contracts are usually more seasoned players so that checks that box too.

If I’m Conroy, I’d be speaking with NYI, they have a few expiring big contracts in the next few years, 30+ players on decline.  NYI is desperate to get into the playoffs, I’d be exploring taking on some

of those contracts and acquiring prospects (if they have any that fit our needs) and Picks…PHI and WAS are also good targets for this too.

i could see Kadri, Coleman, Anderson, Weegar, Backlund and maybe Hubie as possible candidates that these teams may actually want, especially if we take back shorter term large cap hit contracts holding them back…WAS is clearly grasping to have another run with Ovi, so that’s one I’d try, and PHI seems to be kinda in the same Gear as NYI in that I think they are looking to be ending the rebuild and push for a playoff.

all these teams have roster holes, picks and prospects, and are also tight on the cap before UFA…I think Cgy should be in a helping mood tomorrow and Monday.

BT is again replacing Brodie with Tanev, but in a different city.

Fans are gonna hate the deal, but he will be a great player for them.

Won't get the Marner hate.

So, we should scoop Brodie for a reasonable 2 year deal.

One year if we overpay a bit and he wants that.

I think we still lack the smooth skating D to play depth.

I still want to sign Kylington, but we still need depth.

Hanley is more of an emergency guy you stow in the AHL.

Pachal is okay but not really more than a 7.

There are a ton of UFA's and not sure I want anything other than a C.

Maybe we trade more than sign.

Pick up as suggested some semi cap dumps.

Take a prospect as reward or a pick.

WOuld have to be a gross salary to get good stuff though.

Traveling on UFA Day (thanks Westjet).

If the point of moving Mangiapane was to create a spot for young players, signing Debrusk seems counterintuitive.

Right now my lines would look like

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Pospisil

Huberdeau-Zary-Sharangovich

Coleman-Backlund-Coronato

Pelletier-Rooney-Klapka/Schwindt/Duehr

Hunt as the extra

If they sign Debrusk, he's probably playing on the Backlund line. That bumps Coronato to the 4th line or AHL. Pelletier is waiver eligible. He should be on the team. The Flames have a lot of wingers. A signing like that doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

On the blueline, I'd be avoiding term. Overpay a veteran player. Ideally it's a one year, but two is fine.

Cole, Forbort, Reilly, Scandella. Those types. No sense getting in a bidding war for Brendon Dillon. Not looking for anything special, just a guy who will make it tougher to get to the net. I hope they keep a spot open for a young guy. Would like to see a competition between Solovyov/Poirier/Kuznetsov for a job

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If the point of moving Mangiapane was to create a spot for young players, signing Debrusk seems counterintuitive.

Right now my lines would look like

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Pospisil

Huberdeau-Zary-Sharangovich

Coleman-Backlund-Coronato

Pelletier-Rooney-Klapka/Schwindt/Duehr

Hunt as the extra

If they sign Debrusk, he's probably playing on the Backlund line. That bumps Coronato to the 4th line or AHL. Pelletier is waiver eligible. He should be on the team. The Flames have a lot of wingers. A signing like that doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

On the blueline, I'd be avoiding term. Overpay a veteran player. Ideally it's a one year, but two is fine.

Cole, Forbort, Reilly, Scandella. Those types. No sense getting in a bidding war for Brendon Dillon. Not looking for anything special, just a guy who will make it tougher to get to the net. I hope they keep a spot open for a young guy. Would like to see a competition between Solovyov/Poirier/Kuznetsov for a job

Not sure if it was to create a spot for young players or not.  You couldn't move him up since he wasn't that great a fit anywhere else.  Backlund's line should be used to fix a player's defensive issues or at least mitigate them.  But to your point, it's also a good spot to use Coronato or Pelletier.  

I don't know that they can find the right UFA forward.  I want a top 6 C.  That would move Zary back with Kadri.  The ripple effect is bad though.  You could have a line of Coronato and Pelletier if you gave them enough minutes,  Duehr's game fell off.  Hunt is a role player and played well when games meant nothing but droppin in draft picking order.  Klapka is an extra on most teams.  Schwindt has to wait until Rooney drop off the team.  Or is traded or waived.

7 hours ago, MP5029 said:

If I’m Conroy, I’d be speaking with NYI, they have a few expiring big contracts in the next few years, 30+ players on decline.  NYI is desperate to get into the playoffs, I’d be exploring taking on some

of those contracts and acquiring prospects (if they have any that fit our needs) and Picks…PHI and WAS are also good targets for this too.

i could see Kadri, Coleman, Anderson, Weegar, Backlund and maybe Hubie as possible candidates that these teams may actually want, especially if we take back shorter term large cap hit contracts holding them back…WAS is clearly grasping to have another run with Ovi, so that’s one I’d try, and PHI seems to be kinda in the same Gear as NYI in that I think they are looking to be ending the rebuild and push for a playoff.

all these teams have roster holes, picks and prospects, and are also tight on the cap before UFA…I think Cgy should be in a helping mood tomorrow and Monday.

Acquiring prospects I like,

Taking on bad contracts, I don't know if it's right for us.  It's definitely a method.   But I think it works better for team who can afford to, and has a willingness, to do buyouts.    When we get bad contracts it tends to really control our destiny for some time.

But acquiring prospects I like.

I think possibly the better method for a team like the Flames to acquire them, is acquire legit free agents as in undrafted players, US College free agents, maybe Russian defectors, who knows...   basically unproven talent.

Acquire as much value as you can.  Then, at trade deadline, it's all up for sale, and that's when you get your prospects and picks.     Everyone wins.  The players who deliver get to go for a playoff run.

Where this goes sideways quickly is when you bring in crap to fill a spot. In Wolfs' first 2 years in the AHL guys were eating pucks left and right. Last year the D core was horrible and he got exposed, it's still a team game and you need players in front of him. Pospisil and Zary earned their way on the roster with good camps and better AHL performances, were rewarded, and remained. 

Right now NO ONE in the AHL could fill a roster spot from the D prospects.  Frankly, you have to squint very hard with our current players to see quality. I am ok with 4 quality vets coming in for 4-to 5 years, especially D our prospects are at least that away. 

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Where this goes sideways quickly is when you bring in crap to fill a spot. In Wolfs' first 2 years in the AHL guys were eating pucks left and right. Last year the D core was horrible and he got exposed, it's still a team game and you need players in front of him. Pospisil and Zary earned their way on the roster with good camps and better AHL performances, were rewarded, and remained. 

Right now NO ONE in the AHL could fill a roster spot from the D prospects.  Frankly, you have to squint very hard with our current players to see quality. I am ok with 4 quality vets coming in for 4-to 5 years, especially D our prospects are at least that away. 

I think your underrating Porier, Soloyvov and Grusnikov. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Poirier had a really bad season for luck, but he still managed to come back and put up near 0.5p/gp.

Solo is still adjusting, but the infrequent games set him back.  Think he is decent.

Grush is one I haven't seen so I can't tell.  He should be ready.

Pachal isn't a prospect according to the games played.

I like some aspects of his game, but still needs work.

My desire to bring in a guy like Brodie is to manage the prospects.

He would have less pressure than in TOR or even the last time here.

1 or 2 years might give us some time to help get the prospects in full time.

One year Brodie would be a trade asset, and we could retain salary to max the return.

Ot we have him a bit longer and he stays to help solidify the D.

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Brz should be on the team this year as well 

35 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Seems the Oil may be looking to move Kane for cap space, 2 x 5.change if take their 2026 first and Kane’s salary if I were Conroy…

by the time Cgy is on the rise in 2 years Edm will be on the slide…solid move for Conroy to make…also Kane can help Protect our younger guys and be a veteran player to fill a RW hole in the line up.

16 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Brz should be on the team this year as well 

He will be, but I think TMac was saying NHL ready.  Anything is possible but I think you would have to have an incredible camp and at leat 20 AHL games of amazing play to warrant a look.  Both Pachal and Hanley were waiver claims so you could waive them over a prospect.  

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Columbus buying out Boqvist. I would be looking at him in free agency. 

Yes, on a short term

deal for sure…he’s a guy I wish Cgy had have landed a few years back, he’d have been a great fit back then…at the right pride not a bad stop gap