2024 Free Agency

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I don't know him so I can't comment.   But it's an odd fit for us.

He likely wants a large contract.   There may be a bidding war.   we don't want anything to do with that.

I'd only be interested on a salvage contract and I don't think that's what he'll be going for.

He has 2 seasons remaining at $8.7 per. I'm guessing the acquiring team would be asking for retention.

What I don't know anything about is where CBJ sits regarding his value, or if it would be more about cap relief.

Although I don't really see any cap issues with them.

https://capwages.com/teams/columbus_blue_jackets

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He has 2 seasons remaining at $8.7 per. I'm guessing the acquiring team would be asking for retention.

What I don't know anything about is where CBJ sits regarding his value, or if it would be more about cap relief.

Although I don't really see any cap issues with them.

https://capwages.com/teams/columbus_blue_jackets

thanks, yeah that makes it even weirder for us.  

If he does well he endangers our draft order and if he does poorly he poisons the dressing room which should be one of the first steps in the rebuild of getting right  (I'm not saying he's guaranteed to poison the room but there's a few red flags here and there).

I wouldn't even think about giving up anyone for him that's younger.   And that's almost certainly the first ask.

More interested in lists like these:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024-nhl-free-agency-top-10-european-ufas

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

If he does well he endangers our draft order and if he does poorly he poisons the dressing room which should be one of the first steps in the rebuild of getting right  (I'm not saying he's guaranteed to poison the room but there's a few red flags here and there).

I wouldn't even think about giving up anyone for him that's younger.   And that's almost certainly the first ask.

That isn't a very compelling list. We have lots of 3rd-4th tier prospects. We can build off what we have.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That isn't a very compelling list. We have lots of 3rd-4th tier prospects. We can build off what we have.

I would be willing to bet that 2-3 of those guys will out-perform Laine next year.    Most of them aren't prospects.   The few that are, interest me.

Of those age ranges, we don't have much.

48 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That's a pretty weak argument.  We have more than enough challenges to make it outside top 5 this year.  One player performing well isn't going to change that.  We had breakout seasons by player we brought in and guys we traded for (Kuz played the best games of his seasone here).  Markstrom played really well for portions of the season.  We had three D we traded that were playing great.  And now we have the remnants.

I can't say whether Laine is bad in the room, but I do think he is respected.  When he was blindsided playing against us, his team went after the player that hit him.  Doesn't prove anything either.

So, a guy that's 26.  Not exactly old for this team.  Closer to Zary than Weegar or Huberdeau.  What do you want coming out of a re-tool?  I would think a guy at top form would be on the list.  I doubt he gets a first from any team.  Would I trade a top prospect?  Nope.  Maybe a prospect that's blocked and can't seem to stick on the team.  Maybe Coleman?

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's a pretty weak argument. 

A strong arguement against a Laine proposal isn't required.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What do you want coming out of a re-tool? 

Gavin McKenna and Landon Dupont.

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Laine should be a hard sell. You can look at it as, if he regains his value, it's a big win.

or...

If he can't get his head on right, it's a big loss.

You have Ovechkin-lite or Pavel Brendl.

Hard to imagine there being a lot of in-between.

We have a lot of cap. For the record, I'm not averse to taking short-term risks.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

That's a pretty weak argument.  We have more than enough challenges to make it outside top 5 this year.  One player performing well isn't going to change that.  We had breakout seasons by player we brought in and guys we traded for (Kuz played the best games of his seasone here).  Markstrom played really well for portions of the season.  We had three D we traded that were playing great.  And now we have the remnants.

I can't say whether Laine is bad in the room, but I do think he is respected.  When he was blindsided playing against us, his team went after the player that hit him.  Doesn't prove anything either.

So, a guy that's 26.  Not exactly old for this team.  Closer to Zary than Weegar or Huberdeau.  What do you want coming out of a re-tool?  I would think a guy at top form would be on the list.  I doubt he gets a first from any team.  Would I trade a top prospect?  Nope.  Maybe a prospect that's blocked and can't seem to stick on the team.  Maybe Coleman?

the Flames made the playoffs under Hartley with a team that might be worse than the one we have. Talent might be even. And I might think this team has more talent than that team had.

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Laine should be a hard sell. You can look at it as, if he regains his value, it's a big win.

or...

If he can't get his head on right, it's a big loss.

You have Ovechkin-lite or Pavel Brendl.

Hard to imagine there being a lot of in-between.

We have a lot of cap. For the record, I'm not averse to taking short-term risks.

If we are giving up youth, or draft picks, I say no to him. Gotta stay the course stick to the plan. We got aggressive after an unprecedented successful season in the last rebuild.

There's something about him I just don't like. Maybe his play doesn't match the arrogance, some would call that confidence.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the Flames made the playoffs under Hartley with a team that might be worse than the one we have. Talent might be even. And I might think this team has more talent than that team had.

I don't really agree, upfront they are close they probably are, but the backend.  In net Jonas Hiller was a good goalie, he had a career 2.51 and .916 in Anaheim, even Ramo had a performed better as a Flame than Vladar has to date.  Wolf does have the potential to be better of course, but until he shows it at this level we can't call this years goalies better than 2015.  Same with Defense.  Giordano emerged as a Norris candidate the year before and would've done better if he stayed healthy, that year he would've put in a fight for the Hart if he stayed healthy.  Brodie had been steadily improving every year.  Wideman had established himself as a really good offensive defenseman.  I think its fair to say Andersson and Weegar are better than Brodie and Wideman, but nothing close to that version of Gio.  Add in that as unpopular of a signing as Engelland was at the time, he still came with more experience than Bean, Bahl, Miromanov, or Pachall.  Kris Russell was also well more established than any of the newer guys.  But important to remember is how lucky that team got.  I think there are better odds of Huberdeau returning to form than a team winning in ways that team did.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

If we are giving up youth, or draft picks, I say no to him. Gotta stay the course stick to the plan. We got aggressive after an unprecedented successful season in the last rebuild.

There's something about him I just don't like. Maybe his play doesn't match the arrogance, some would call that confidence.

it's the hair loss

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

At the very least one of those two preferably Gavin McKenna 

we need 1 generational talent and some

star or super stars to compliment…

we may have just drafted our Stud D, and have acquired 1-2 potential star D’s so for now that’s covered.

we have 2 young G’s that could be the the tandem we need 

what Cgy needs heavy focus on is RS Ctrs, draft nothing but the best available RS Ctrs over the next couple years…some may cannot some may not and obviously there will be a log jam of RS Ctrs which can be valuable trade chips to acquire RW/LW and round out D or G if needed in a few years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So "no" to McKenna? lol

We have too many LWers, screw that guy. /s

Lol clearly McKenna is a different level all together, that would be like passing on Ovi 

im running on the assumption we don’t hit top 3 in the draft

On 8/10/2024 at 10:44 AM, robrob74 said:

I'm not sure you can refer to a team that had a killer D and budding superstar, along with a vet that did nothing but score, as being worse than what we have now.  Gio and Brodie in their prime, plus Wideman.  Hiller and Ramo in their one good season as a pair.  We may have a similar but unproven G pair.  D has one or two in their prime.  

54 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

At least one of them please.  Preferred McKenna because we already have Parekh on RD but I won't complain either way.

Dupont is on track to be better prospect than Parekh, at the same age. It's still really early, but this kid looks special

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It would appear St. Louis is at their 50 contract limit, so not sure how that works.

Edmonton is currently in the red for cap space.

Maybe Bowman can sweep THIS under the rug...

I may be wrong .I have been before ..but I think the contract limit is like the cap..you have until season to be compliant 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It would appear St. Louis is at their 50 contract limit, so not sure how that works.

Edmonton is currently in the red for cap space.

Maybe Bowman can sweep THIS under the rug...

If they have any players in junior under contract those contracts will slide and won’t count towards the contract limit.

• Thanks 1