Stanley Cup Final

I liked one of the smaller moments in all the celebration from the Panthers, where the players and staff were all celebrating and hugging each other on center ice. Lomberg spotted a guy from managment who was standing outside at the boards and skated to Hornqvist, his former teammate who ended his career after last season's trip to the finals, and gave him a good hug. Shows what a qualitiy human beeing Lomberg is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s so hard to get back to this point.

sure Edmonton could get back.

Are they here if they don’t get 96% on the PK though. Not really repeatable.

agreed. Not to take away from them but I feel like a lot broke the Oilers way this playoffs. 

10 million with only 14 players under contract. Yes it’s most of the core, and I know they can create space too, but they need help to get back and win I think. Not about of means to get that help especially with Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard all needing new deals in the next 2 years. 

Just now, cross16 said:

agreed. Not to take away from them but I feel like a lot broke the Oilers way this playoffs. 

10 million with only 14 players under contract. Yes it’s most of the core, and I know they can create space too, but they need help to get back and win I think. Not about of means to get that help especially with Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard all needing new deals in the next 2 years. 

I am guessing that the 3 mentioned are the easy part on being a GM.  The harder part is putting a team together with the money that remains this year and next.  Getting back to the finals is tough and harder when you deal away picks to retain salary this year.  They pretty much have to use 2026 picks if they are makjing a big move.  

Kane and Nurse are their biggest problems for salary vs value.

They could trade Ekholm and buy out (they will) Campbell.

No idea why they wasted picks on Carrick.

Henrique maybe but wasted on both.

Just now, tmac70 said:

Thank god it's over, Happy for the Panthers but more excited not to have to listen to the shrill of the Oilers fans anyone 

I am really relieved.  The endless yapping would drive me crazy.

Not to mention living in the city, where it would be 10x worse.

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Foegele and Janmark likely priced themselves out of Edmonton. Maybe Brown.

They're an old team because they've drafted so poorly that they have to backfill with veterans.

Because they traded Reid Schaefer away shortly after drafting him, they're going on three years without a 1st round pick. Almost four years because Bourgault may not pan out. Eventually it's gonna kill them when three players make up 40% of their cap.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s so hard to get back to this point.

sure Edmonton could get back.

Are they here if they don’t get 96% on the PK though. Not really repeatable.

Biggest question now is Draisaitl.  I'm not sure he stays long term with EDM and EDM needs to decide if they will risk losing Draisaitl for nothing by keeping him for the final year of his contract.

This might have been EDM's one and only chance.  And McDavid might leave in 2-years after his current deal is done.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Biggest question now is Draisaitl.  I'm not sure he stays long term with EDM and EDM needs to decide if they will risk losing Draisaitl for nothing by keeping him for the final year of his contract.

This might have been EDM's one and only chance.  And McDavid might leave in 2-years after his current deal is done.

I sense a Huberdeau for Draisaitl trade coming.....

Wait for it.....

Just now, The_People1 said:

He can sign as soon as monday.

Not sure he will sign immediately. Who's the GM?

Full marks to Edmonton (the City) for not rioting.  And full marks to their first line, of course.

You know something's off though when people started praising Edmonton for their goaltending.   Superstars can get you to the dance.   And they did.   But Florida had an actual hockey team.

In a parallel universe somewhere, the Oilers just won the cup.   But in 20 other parallel universes they still lost in the first round.   I was impressed.   I was.   But I still think the Flames are closer to the cup than the Oilers are (because they will have to start over to get another shot like that).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Full marks to Edmonton (the City) for not rioting.  And full marks to their first line, of course.

You know something's off though when people started praising Edmonton for their goaltending.   Superstars can get you to the dance.   And they did.   But Florida had an actual hockey team.

In a parallel universe somewhere, the Oilers just won the cup.   But in 20 other parallel universes they still lost in the first round.   I was impressed.   I was.   But I still think the Flames are closer to the cup than the Oilers are (because they will have to start over to get another shot like that).

IN the alternate universe, CGY won in 2004; it was in.

The bracket in the west lined up exactly the way EDM needed it to.

Dallas had a hard route to the WCF.

2 former (recent) cup winners then a mostly rested and unchallenged EDM team.

The loser one year tends to win the next year, but that is for well run clubs.

EDM was using the last few years to get the team they needed to play more than a round or two.

It's not like they can use the same roster next season.

You don't bet against the Oilers to make the playoffs, but they started off on a really bad losing season.

They pulled the coach card again and sent away the starter at one point.

16-0 winning streak and they finished 2nd in the Pacific, only 6 points up on 8th in the West.

You gotta love the shout out to Cgy fans from Chucky..

He’s one guy we lost because of BT’s mismanagement with a bridge contract and whoever on the team (Sutter maybe?) refusal to give him the C…had those 3 things been different(bridge deal, BT and Sutter, C on Chucky’s Jersey) think we see a different team with some familiar faces still here…Monahan being one of them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Foegele and Janmark likely priced themselves out of Edmonton. Maybe Brown.

They're an old team because they've drafted so poorly that they have to backfill with veterans.

Because they traded Reid Schaefer away shortly after drafting him, they're going on three years without a 1st round pick. Almost four years because Bourgault may not pan out. Eventually it's gonna kill them when three players make up 40% of their cap.

The X factor to their off season plan is Darnell Nurse IMO. While many assume he is untradeable, i'm not sure a defensemen really every is. In a league that is always looking for D and always looking for d that are big and can skate It wouldn't surprise me if they could move Nurse and get out from that contract. 

it would thin out what is already a pretty thin core but there are several options in FA. Not sure it happens but it would be my number one priority if I were the Oilers GM. 

Of course they actually need a GM first....

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

He’s one guy we lost because of BT’s mismanagement with a bridge contract and whoever on the team (Sutter maybe?) refusal to give him the C…had those 3 things been different(bridge deal, BT and Sutter, C on Chucky’s Jersey) think we see a different team with some familiar faces still here…Monahan being one of them.

I'd have liked to have seen the team shut Monahan down earlier in the seasons he was injured, then I think a lot of things would be quite different. I'd have liked to seen many many things that many people in those jobs know better than us about.

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

If only Monahan never got injured.

If we only developed Sam Bennett properly instead of moving him around the lineup constantly.

Tkachuk and Gaudreau would've stayed.

The Flames would've been a playoff team the past 3 years with Sutter still the head coach.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'd have liked to have seen the team shut Monahan down earlier in the seasons he was injured, then I think a lot of things would be quite different. I'd have liked to seen many many things that many people in those jobs know better than us about.

Tis isn't a shot at you or MP.  When you hear a lot of different things from the people involved and then in the next breath they say they wanted to play in a different market, you have to wonder what is true.  Tkachuk wasn't a bridge contract as much as a setup to get paid.  He claims that he wanted a long term deal, but what was available in cap and what you could pay the guy short or long term may have been at odds.  Gaudreau was the linchpin in this, so that is more how much we were wanting to committ to after a bad season.  The summer before his last season.  It's old news but the walking put Tkachuk in the driver's seat.

Monahan is one of those things I doubt we will ever understand.  If you listened to JG, he shouldn't have played that season at all.  Was March any less right than October?  He was itching to play and shutting him down would have been a big blow to him.  Who knows.  A doc has a duty to inform and they are not supposed to make it worse.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tis isn't a shot at you or MP.  When you hear a lot of different things from the people involved and then in the next breath they say they wanted to play in a different market, you have to wonder what is true.  Tkachuk wasn't a bridge contract as much as a setup to get paid.  He claims that he wanted a long term deal, but what was available in cap and what you could pay the guy short or long term may have been at odds.  Gaudreau was the linchpin in this, so that is more how much we were wanting to committ to after a bad season.  The summer before his last season.  It's old news but the walking put Tkachuk in the driver's seat.

Monahan is one of those things I doubt we will ever understand.  If you listened to JG, he shouldn't have played that season at all.  Was March any less right than October?  He was itching to play and shutting him down would have been a big blow to him.  Who knows.  A doc has a duty to inform and they are not supposed to make it worse.  

Both Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanted long term and obviously, more money.  BT settled on shorter term and less money thinking within that window, the Flames could use the cap savings to fill out the roster and win a Cup.  What's sad is BT used the cap savings on Brouwer, Neal, etc.  And then years later, BT pivots to trying to sign Gaudreau long term but Gaudreau opted to go UFA.

Tkachuk wanted to be captain.  Had Tkachuk been named captain after Gio left, then there's a good chance Tkachuk is still here.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Both Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanted long term and obviously, more money.  BT settled on shorter term and less money thinking within that window, the Flames could use the cap savings to fill out the roster and win a Cup.  What's sad is BT used the cap savings on Brouwer, Neal, etc.  And then years later, BT pivots to trying to sign Gaudreau long term but Gaudreau opted to go UFA.

Tkachuk wanted to be captain.  Had Tkachuk been named captain after Gio left, then there's a good chance Tkachuk is still here.

Once JG signaled he was leaving, Tkachuk wanted out.  Both players indicated they wanted to be here, until they didn't.  The funny thing is they both seemed happy here, until the loss to the Oilers.  To a certain extent, I think they blamed Sutter for that.  Goalie starts, line matching etc.  

BT could have signed JG in the summer before.  He floated a low number after a poor season.

Tkachuk was always going to get paid with his deal structured that way.

I love how romantic people are about the old core now.  I actually in a sad way find it karma, people complained about the core being not good enough from 2019-2021, now its all gone, people got their wish the grass isn't greener and a couple players are now champions.  Tkachuk went to a place with one of the best C's in the league, lets not pretend that giving him a different letter and contract would bring Florida's success here.  And Monahan was never at Barkov's level.

McCrybaby being dissed in the News a fair bit this morning for not accepting the Conn-trophy. (0-pts) in game seven, most ice time and only 2 shots on net it shouldn't have been his anyway.

Classless i.m.o.  accepting it would be an honor still to both his team mates regardless of an individual award after-all its still a "team game" win or lose.  Reasons like this makes me dislike them more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I love how romantic people are about the old core now.  I actually in a sad way find it karma, people complained about the core being not good enough from 2019-2021, now its all gone, people got their wish the grass isn't greener and a couple players are now champions.  Tkachuk went to a place with one of the best C's in the league, lets not pretend that giving him a different letter and contract would bring Florida's success here.  And Monahan was never at Barkov's level.

No romance at all from me.  It just is what it is, or could've been.  We need to turn this current roster around using the previous build as a lessons learned.  Lots of mistakes where made and had some bad luck with injuries along the way.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I also think that if Tkachuk waited out his contract, he'd have a lot less points without Johnny on his other wing. The situation was undeniable that the Flames were going to regress big time without Johnny in the fold. I don't blame Tkachuk for the decision. I don't think it was a Calgary City thing, just that the opportunity for success was diminishing FAST!