Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

We seem to have the market on every available LD and RD younger than 27.

We have 11 D on the Wranglers before today's signing.

New guy on an ELC, so I guess he is waiver exempt?

Will be waiving Gilbert again I suspect.

He's an extra now

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The funny thing is there are fanbases would take stuck in mediocrity over what they have.  Not saying I like the mediocrity, just never fun when the basement seems impossible to get out of either, for all the building and drafting high that Buffalo has done over the past 12 years I still don't see them maxing out as anything besides a mediocre team.

Some of that is on themselves.  Didn't want to deal with Eichel.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The funny thing is there are fanbases would take stuck in mediocrity over what they have.  Not saying I like the mediocrity, just never fun when the basement seems impossible to get out of either, for all the building and drafting high that Buffalo has done over the past 12 years I still don't see them maxing out as anything besides a mediocre team.

Thats an easy fix, their issue has ale been vision and direction…same can be said for Ottawa and even Cgy the past few years…fortunately, I fell Conroy actually has a vision and direction and he’s following it…time will tell, next year’s moves will tell the tale, this year was clearing up the Mess from BT as best he could…thats done…now we wait and see, I think draft days and this summer will give an idea

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Cheap add. Probably a player they like.

Book on him is physicality which I know is a skillset Conroy values. I thikn this is more about that than an upside play

It really seems like a Conroy has a vision of pairing offensive defensemen with physical stay at home defenders. 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It really seems like a Conroy has a vision of pairing offensive defensemen with physical stay at home defenders. 

Thats a good vision and plan! Balance.

side note, anyone else see the pattern of building the D first here? This kinda has me thinking Conroy is gonna go Iginla hunting in 2024 and gaining 2026…

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

San Jose is in such a bad spot. They've already been out of the playoffs for five years, this season.

There are no signs of things turning around. If they go 10+ years without the playoffs, it wouldn't be a shock.

They're the cautionary tale to a teardown

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

San Jose is in such a bad spot. They've already been out of the playoffs for five years, this season.

There are no signs of things turning around. If they go 10+ years without the playoffs, it wouldn't be a shock.

True.

William Eklund is a nice player though.

So, there's that. 

26 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

Can't wait for the post-TDL "well, we heard that Player X could have been had for a nickel" or "Team A was definitely in on Player C, but the teams couldn't come to an agreement" bullpucky from the "NHL insiders" over the next few days/weeks (and the unbridled debates arguments conversations by armchair GMs that inevitably go with it)

</sarcasm>

My thoughts precisely.

Detroit stayed completely out of the shenanigans, I call that a win. I wonder if Yzerman just turned his phone off, other than sending Kostin to the Sharks where maybe he can play.

Now if only this stupid schedule would get them busy. They've barely played since the All Star break. Rhythm comes from real games, as we saw with TBag last night after they had a week off.

2 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

True.

So, there's that. 

Eklund and Will Smith. Celebrini is a local kid for them, would be huge for that market to select him. Think he will be a very good player, but not one of the special 1st overall picks. They are going to struggle for a while I think.

3 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

True.

So, there's that. 

He's a nice player, but I don't know if there is a high end player there.  Maybe a nice compliment to Smith and if they can get Celebrini, it's not a horrible group.  Don't love there blueline depth at the moment and or in net.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The cautionary tale would be to tear down earlier and not five years after missing the playoffs.  Now they will be starting a 7-year rebuild five years into missing the big show.  It's going to be a total of 12-years out before they get back in again.

They are a cautionary tale for NOT committing to a rebuild earlier while hanging onto Cup dreams way beyond everyone's best before date.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

The cautionary tale would be to tear down earlier and not five years after missing the playoffs.  Now they will be starting a 7-year rebuild five years into missing the big show.  It's going to be a total of 12-years out before they get back in again.

They are a cautionary tale for NOT committing to a rebuild earlier while hanging onto Cup dreams way beyond everyone's best before date.

How do you tear down?  Karlsson needed to hit 100 points to be tradeable with a lower retention, Burns needed plenty of retention just to move for minimal return, Jones needed a buyout, Vlasic is untradeable, Couture is untradeable, and add in the first 4 non playoff years the highest they've drafted in these years is 2020: 31st, 2021: 7th, 2022: 27th, 2023: 4th.  Not a great foundation to start on.  They should've traded Hertl 2 years ago instead of resigning, but hard to see any significant impact given the rental prices lately.

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Caps also got a 3rd rounder on 50% retained on Kuznetsov.. thats a missed opportunity 

I think we dodged a bullet there.

Like it or not, we are keeping him away from our players.

CAR has no issues with problem children.

I find some of the trades for expensive players underwhelming.

Zucker and Okposo for basically nothing.

Just now, travel_dude said:

I agree with this.

Kuznetsov has skill no doubt but carries a lot of baggage.

We don't need that around our young bucks 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

he never even made it to the team .. could have flipped him for the pick ourselves 

5 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I agree with this.

Kuznetsov has skill no doubt but carries a lot of baggage.

We don't need that around our young bucks 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

he never even made it to the team .. could have flipped him for the pick ourselves 

Maybe I am confused.  WAS got a 3rd for him.

WAS retained salary and CAR has to carry the rest.

What did we miss out on?