Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There's no legs to this, it was speculation, but Bob Stauffer floated the idea of EDM making a play for Andersson.

He mentioned a 1st, the picks from STL and Kulak or Ceci. I would think the Flames need O'Reilly in that hypothetical.

Flames D line is already depleted enough, no way would they help out the Oil with a lousy return like that. 

O'Reilly?

6 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Flames D line is already depleted enough, no way would they help out the Oil with a lousy return like that. 

O'Reilly?

A 1st, 2nd and 3rd and a good prospect like O’Reilly would be a pretty good return. I’m not sure any other team would match that.

I doubt the Flames trade him to Edmonton anyway,  but if they make the best offer, you consider it. It’s only a year and a half of Andersson by the TDL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A 1st, 2nd and 3rd and a good prospect like O’Reilly would be a pretty good return. I’m not sure any other team would match that.

I doubt the Flames trade him to Edmonton anyway,  but if they make the best offer, you consider it. It’s only a year and a half of Andersson by the TDL. 

Dont know much about the O'Reilly kid but Anderssons 4.5 mil would be a tight fit.

On the topic of trades with the Oil I noticed they're still paying Neal for one more year. It's not much but when you're over the limit its gotta stink.

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Adding Ceci or Kulak to make the money work is an insult.  They may have value, but what do they give us for taking salary?  So the other two oicks included are from STL.  I think they would be looking like late round picks with STL always a threat to make the playoffs.  

It's Stauffer and he can be very sober in his assessments, but I'm not sure EDM in effect gives up a 2024 1st round pick, two previous 1st round picks, plus a future 1st round pick.  It would be funny in seeing heads explode in the city.

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Dont know much about the O'Reilly kid but Anderssons 4.5 mil would be a tight fit.

On the topic of trades with the Oil I noticed they're still paying Neal for one more year. It's not much but when you're over the limit its gotta stink.

Ask them about the goalie they pay to not play there after the big contract they signed.

6 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

On the topic of trades with the Oil I noticed they're still paying Neal for one more year. It's not much but when you're over the limit it’s gotta stink.

The Oilers never learn. This situation has been death by a million cuts.

Lucic for Neal looked like a win for them. Then they had to buy Neal out.

Sign Jack Campbell.

Sign Nurse after a career year, a year before they had to.

Cory Perry is a borderline NHLer at this point. Did they need to pay him 1.1? He should be making league min. That’s 400k or so they could have saved. Janmark was good on the pk in the playoffs, do you need to pay 1.4 for a player that just had 12pts? Probably not.

This is why I don’t get the argument that 97/29 should take less. Why should they? So

they can sign more Jack Campbell’s?

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Oilers never learn. This situation has been death by a million cuts.

Lucic for Neal looked like a win for them. Then they had to buy Neal out.

Sign Jack Campbell.

Sign Nurse after a career year, a year before they had to.

Cory Perry is a borderline NHLer at this point. Did they need to pay him 1.1? He should be making league min. That’s 400k or so they could have saved. Janmark was good on the pk in the playoffs, do you need to pay 1.4 for a player that just had 12pts? Probably not.

This is why I don’t get the argument that 97/29 should take less. Why should they? So

they can sign more Jack Campbell’s?

Agreed. It's funny how they Oilers media seem to be the only ones beating this drum that those guys are going to take less. Draisaitl has been under paid now for several seasons and we think he and his agent are going to take less?

the only upside to taking less is if they are a package deal and even that is a pretty weak argument given they've been a package deal on value deals and the team still hasn't' done anything. 

The Bouchard situation next year is going to be interesting. I have seen many people saying his next contract will be in the $7m range. I just can’t see a scenario where he would take less than Nurse. $7-8m might be what he is worth, but when he looks at his own team and says I am better than Nurse and he is getting $9.25m, why would he take less than that?

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Oilers to match either of those offer sheets. They need to sign Draisaitl and Bouchard, they can’t have Broberg and Holloway tying up $6-7m. Take the picks and move on.

59 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The Bouchard situation next year is going to be interesting. I have seen many people saying his next contract will be in the $7m range. I just can’t see a scenario where he would take less than Nurse. $7-8m might be what he is worth, but when he looks at his own team and says I am better than Nurse and he is getting $9.25m, why would he take less than that?

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Oilers to match either of those offer sheets. They need to sign Draisaitl and Bouchard, they can’t have Broberg and Holloway tying up $6-7m. Take the picks and move on.

$7-mil is too low for a 82-point Dman.  Sure you can say his stats were ballooned by McDavid and the Oilers PP but still.  He's a #1 D now.  RHS RD.  23-years-old.  I'm sure the Oilers want a bridge deal but I'm thinking he's getting close to Adam Fox and Cale Makar money considering the cap is going up in the next few years and those two signed a few years ago.

$9-mil x 8-years for Bouchard I think.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

$7-mil is too low for a 82-point Dman.  Sure you can say his stats were ballooned by McDavid and the Oilers PP but still.  He's a #1 D now.  RHS RD.  23-years-old.  I'm sure the Oilers want a bridge deal but I'm thinking he's getting close to Adam Fox and Cale Makar money considering the cap is going up in the next few years and those two signed a few years ago.

$9-mil x 8-years for Bouchard I think.

This is the bridge deal for him, another 2 year deal walks him to UFA.  I think he gets over $10 if he isn't signed this offseason and has another year like last or better.  Can't use Makar and Fox as floors, when a guy can make a case for Dahlin money.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. It's funny how they Oilers media seem to be the only ones beating this drum that those guys are going to take less. Draisaitl has been under paid now for several seasons and we think he and his agent are going to take less?

the only upside to taking less is if they are a package deal and even that is a pretty weak argument given they've been a package deal on value deals and the team still hasn't' done anything. 

I know it’s a hockey mindset that everything is “for the team” but the McDavid and Draisaitl deals have the potential to reset the market for the entire league.  I’m sure the PA is hoping so. If there are ever going to be players making 15-20 in the future, it starts with 97 and 29 resetting the market.

You see this all the time in every sport except the NHL. A franchise QB is now signing for 50+. Even the ones that aren’t top 5. The QB’s now their value, it’s up to the front office to backfill around it, maybe that costs you a receiver. Ok, go find a cheaper one. I think NHL players need to adopt some of that, if not, the high water mark for salaries will always be 13ish on the AAV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I can't see Bouchard even listening to $7M.  I don't think he's complete, but he is better than Nurse in most situations.  Would he take it to arbitration?  Probably more benefit to him to do it.

The big Pylon nurse is getting 9+ for a 3rd line Dman. Bochard has a shot that's it, if he can't get rid of the puck fast he's a huge liability in his end. I would say he would demand 9 Plus. I can't see why Drysaddle agrees to anything less than 12.5-13.5 and MC Baby is going to 15 Plus. Does anyone really think the top 2 are going to take a discount? The best is to move Drysaddle and get some better depth players and picks for him. In 2 years if these 2 stay Coilers are F'ed with 50 million tied into 4 players 

Speaking to the Andersson to the Oilers trade rumour.

Rasmus has a 6 team no trade clause.

I'm guessing that there is at least a 50% chance the Edmonton is on that list.

If Calgary does not re-sign Andersson, my preference would be to trade him at the TDL of the last season of his current contract (2025/2026).

Hopefully by then, one of Brzustewicz or Parekh are ready for the NHL.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

If Calgary does not re-sign Andersson, my preference would be to trade him at the TDL of the last season of his current contract (2025/2026).

I'm assuming he can re-sign July 1/25.  As a TDL trade, he may be worth quite a lot in March 2025.  Rest of the year at a value against the cap.  A final year at a very good value.  Would have to be a team that can actually fit his cap in the last year.  

11 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on the Oilers 2025/26 1st round pick.  Make it top 10 protected... And then rolls into 2026/27 unprotected.  Once Draisaitl and Bouchard sign to big money and then McDavid also re-ups next summer, honestly what money is left for the rest of the team?  The Oilers already struggling to sign support players and guys like Hyman, RNH, and Ekholm will be too old in 2/3 years.  The Oilers could theoretically miss the playoffs and finish bottom 10 back to back.  

So as expected, some trade rumours are heating up surrounding some teams

with tight cap space…one of those is NJD’s RFA Mercer.

apparently he is seeking 5-6 mil 

the article I read had Mlt being the front runner, but again just a rumour at this point but the potential package going to NJD was rumoured to be:

pits 2025 second round pick

Mlts 2025 third round pick

Owen Beck

Filip Mesar

my questions, if true dose Cgy have enough assets to compete with this offer, and if so would it be worth it for Cgy?

again, this is just a rumour and is probably generated from the Stl offer sheet, so I expect plenty of speculation over the next few weeks on any team with RFA’s and are tight on cap space.  Also keeping in mind, the other rumour is that Cgy is not looking to do Much between now and the start of training cap as they kinda want to see what they have in the system and evaluate this situation, which is totally smart but would the possibility of acquiring Mercer or another RFA in that talent range be enough to change that? 

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

the article I read had Mlt being the front runner, but again just a rumour at this point but the potential package going to NJD was rumoured to be:

Owen Beck

Filip Mesar

my questions, if true dose Cgy have enough assets to compete with this offer, and if so would it be worth it for Cgy?

again, this is just a rumour and is probably generated from the Stl offer sheet, so I expect plenty of speculation over the next few weeks on any team with RFA’s and are tight on cap space.  Also keeping in mind, the other rumour is that Cgy is not looking to do Much between now and the start of training cap as they kinda want to see what they have in the system and evaluate this situation, which is totally smart but would the possibility of acquiring Mercer or another RFA in that talent range be enough to change that? 

Timing is wrong.  Right now, don't acquire anyone who can help us win in the immediate term.  Mercer is this type of player.  

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Timing is wrong.  Right now, don't acquire anyone who can help us win in the immediate term.  Mercer is this type of player.  

I think it depends on what you are giving, if you are sending someone like Coleman why not, but picks no way.

6 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Owen Beck

Filip Mesar

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

32 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think it depends on what you are giving, if you are sending someone like Coleman why not, but picks no way.

So, a 22 year old C that has already had two seasons over 20 goals is wrong because we might win games?  And a couple of picks is too much to pay?  I don't know we could match the level of prospects they offer but I would counter with Coronato and Pelletier perhaps.

Bringing in Mercer would be more about the future than just winning games today.  It's about building out the C position for years to come.  I like Coronato and Pelletier, but if they result in a 22 year old C, then maybe it's the price to pay.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, a 22 year old C that has already had two seasons over 20 goals is wrong because we might win games?  And a couple of picks is too much to pay?  I don't know we could match the level of prospects they offer but I would counter with Coronato and Pelletier perhaps.

Bringing in Mercer would be more about the future than just winning games today.  It's about building out the C position for years to come.  I like Coronato and Pelletier, but if they result in a 22 year old C, then maybe it's the price to pay.  

it is a catch-22

one- these players come up not very often and how often can we afford the price on such a player? And we get a top6 or nearing first line talent.

two- he helps win games this and next year that put us closer to nearly making it, but never quite getting in for the next 5 years and heading back to mediocrity. Thus "rushing" the build with only getting a possible one elite player out of it in Parekh if he pans out.

On 8/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, JTech780 said:

22 hours ago, sak22 said:

This is the bridge deal for him, another 2 year deal walks him to UFA.  I think he gets over $10 if he isn't signed this offseason and has another year like last or better.  Can't use Makar and Fox as floors, when a guy can make a case for Dahlin money.

They should overpay him to a long term contract completely based on one career year of inflated stats and then call him a bust when he doesnt reach those #s again.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

Is there even a chance of this?  NJD has exactly enough cap space for Coleman but sounds like Mercer wants more than that and that's where their problems begin.

I would do Coleman straight up for Mercer but no way NJD does it.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is there even a chance of this?  NJD has exactly enough cap space for Coleman but sounds like Mercer wants more than that and that's where their problems begin.

I'd put it as a very low possibility they go for it, but I also said no way Markstrom gets a first or Mang gets anything higher than an mid-pick so I'm batting low this offseason.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

I'd put it as a very low possibility they go for it, but I also said no way Markstrom gets a first or Mang gets anything higher than an mid-pick so I'm batting low this offseason.

We perhaps value our players lower than other teams do.  There is a thing called desperate.  And there is a thing called pro scouting that raises value.  In both those trades, perhaps, the teams making the trades saw something we didn't or saw no viable alterative in the trade market.

I don't think Coleman gets you Mercer.  NJ knew his value, but that value was when he was younger.  I would suspect that a trade for Mercer would include a prospect at least at the level of Coronato.  Maybe the other pieces are something like a 2nd and 3rd.  Coleman if they like.  Maybe we take back a contract they want to dump.  Tartar maybe, but they went out and got him, didn't they?