Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Be fair bro.  Some of us have wanted a rebuild before the puck even dropped to start last season.

Some wanted a rebuild a year or two before Johnny left. It was clear holes weren't getting filled, and either the shortsightedness of the then GM, or displays the difficulty in building a cup contender.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, I don't even mean publically declare the direction of the team.  There are pros and cons to revealing your cards.  But I'm not even talking about that.  

I'm saying the approach is clear.  The path forward is, there is no firm path forward.  Conroy is taking a watch and see approach and if this team is close to the playoffs at TDL, then he will switch to buyer mode.  This FA season, same thing.  He will target some players and if they sign, then they sign.  Debrusk for example serves no purpose.  But let's target him.

Again, your statements are based solely on what the team is saying publicly, which I will concede that is all we have to go on, but that doesn't mean that's what is actually happening.

You honestly cannot say Conroy/management is doing anything because you are not privy to the behind-the-scenes goings-on.  The best you can do is what the rest of us do: theorycraft.  You have no clue that Conroy is only "taking a watch and see" approach, nor if "he will switch to buyer mode", or anything else.  Your opinion on "DeBrusk serves no purpose.  But let's target him" is just that.....an opinion, but it's based on public speculation and rumours created by (say it with me now) "the media".  And what does "the media" do?  Create stupidity and chaos for the masses to consume when they themselves haven't got the faintest idea what's going on either

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

It's not a rebuild for me but that could change depending on how they approach FA. From the sounds of things they want t omake a run at Debrusk and I dont' think they want to entertain moving players like Andersson, Kadri, Sharangovich Kuzemnko (yet).

Pretty semantical but a rebuild constitutes more pieces moving out IMO. Maybe we get there, but I'm not expecting it. 

Conroy even mentioned on the Fan that he expects Mangiapane to take on a bigger leadership role in the locker room, as a vet.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Try to build out the D, find some good role players, take some swings. Go at it again next draft.

this was the whole point though for me, maybe try build a D or get a Top6 C in this one, and by the time they're ready, the new arena is built. Was hoping to gain some Top4 D and possibly a #2 in that process, maybe a #1D by luck. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Calgary move some picks for young NHL ready talent, much like Montreal did to get Dach and Newhook. That’s the type of move I am expecting next.

Not sure if Winnipeg would love him,  but Cole Perfetti would be worth a gamble. Depends on if Calgary views him as a C or LW, I suppose 

1 hour ago, Otown72 said:

I'm thinking Free agents that get bought out or reclamation projects. 

I would liketo see cgy take a shot a Laine. That depends on the asking price. But get pieces that you could build with by keeping or building up value and then trading.

I dunno if Laine would be beaten so down that his entitlement issues would have subsided. I don't like that in a player. Maybe he changes some of our minds?

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, I don't even mean publically declare the direction of the team.  There are pros and cons to revealing your cards.  But I'm not even talking about that.  

I'm saying the approach is clear.  The path forward is, there is no firm path forward.  Conroy is taking a watch and see approach and if this team is close to the playoffs at TDL, then he will switch to buyer mode.  This FA season, same thing.  He will target some players and if they sign, then they sign.  Debrusk for example serves no purpose.  But let's target him.

How do we know the approach?  The current season is still going on, the reality is even if you are selling off the odds of doing smart business now is pretty small.  On June 20th no body wants to help the Flames by taking Andrew Mangiapane off their hands, teams aren't rushing to throw the assets that the Flames would want for Andersson before UFA because believe it or not there is a pretty decent crop of RHD this year and getting something for free always beats spending assets to get.  I have no idea where this team is going, but who am I to act like an expert on this game I had already said there was no way we were getting a 1st for Markstrom, I'll eat the crow on that one, but keep in mind all the experts who's narratives we run with were all late to the party when the trade went down.  There was noise regarding Markstrom, but timing wise it went down with little smoke, same with Lindholm, Tanev and Zadorov.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

this was the whole point though for me, maybe try build a D or get a Top6 C in this one, and by the time they're ready, the new arena is built. Was hoping to gain some Top4 D and possibly a #2 in that process, maybe a #1D by luck. 

For me, it looks like Conroy is trying to get dmen in place. He's going for size and wingspan to start. But he's just getting started. It takes awhile to exact it, but you can see the idea. You'll have some misses, but whatevs, everyone does. I like that he wants to mesh it that way, though. Every team in the league wants that, so hopefully it works out and maybe even an abundance that become assets.

Detroit has done exactly this. They have at least 6 D prospects of 6'3 or better, not even including Seider and Edvinsson.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yeah San Jose has also refused to use the word rebuild for much of the last few years.  Even the letter the Rangers sent that everyone likes to throw out (despite their actions also not meeting the majorities criteria of a rebuild), but it also uses reshape not rebuild.  But Chicago won the lottery and added vets like Foligno, Hall and Perry in an effort to get things back on track fast, didn't help because they got bandaid Hall and douchebag Perry.  Anaheim had #2 and added Killorn and Gudas who were reputable character guys and improved 1 point.  The rebuild experts are already in panic because someone tweeted that Jake Debrusk bought a house here.

Oh I agree.

Like they say, opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one.

It would be nice if they take, like, a day, before they offered them, though. As opposed to just flipping the switch with zero thought. All reaction.

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

How do we know the approach?  The current season is still going on, the reality is even if you are selling off the odds of doing smart business now is pretty small.  On June 20th no body wants to help the Flames by taking Andrew Mangiapane off their hands, teams aren't rushing to throw the assets that the Flames would want for Andersson before UFA because believe it or not there is a pretty decent crop of RHD this year and getting something for free always beats spending assets to get.  I have no idea where this team is going, but who am I to act like an expert on this game I had already said there was no way we were getting a 1st for Markstrom, I'll eat the crow on that one, but keep in mind all the experts who's narratives we run with were all late to the party when the trade went down.  There was noise regarding Markstrom, but timing wise it went down with little smoke, same with Lindholm, Tanev and Zadorov.

I think his moves to date have been pretty telling. Get players that play now..get some picks /prospects to develop in the system , as high of picks as possible even if they have to be in future drafts 

He's focussed heavy on getting dmen that can play now as well ..since they take longer to develop from draft age 

And to date , has only moved players that had to be moved . With the exception of Zadorov, all were being Attempted to be resigned right up to the last minute 

He's balancing the Now , meaning stay competitive for a playoff spot without leveraging , in fact improving, the future at the same time 

23 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Interesting..it would only make sense your first call be to the GM who has more of your clients than any other team in the league ...

I would say he's a bigger fan of the Lightning as those are the biggest deals he's signed.  Think its fair to just say its coincidence with the moves, not targeting his players as lets not forget Millstein did put the team in a bad spot with the Zadorov trade request.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If Dickinson, Buium, Silayev, and Iginla are gone by 9... Then I wouldn't mind taking Yakemchuk.  I assume Parekh will be the first RHS RD taken.

Out of the Dman in this draft I see him as the biggest risk reward. Unless Dickinson or Buium fall to 9th I see us taking Catton or a scoring winger. We have a huge shortage of possible top 6 forwards in the AHL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I can't wait to see who takes Parekh. I have no idea, if you can't defend in jr, how will you ever be a top 4 at the next level. I'd take him with the Dallas pick. lol

He'll never be on the ice vs the other team's top 6 at the next level.

Dickinson is the polar opposite imo. That kid is calm defending. He's so good at it. Barely ever out of place, quick retrievals, hard to pass it around him, always at the net front. It's impressive. Whoever taught that kid, we need them. lol

He could just as easily be the first one gone. Anaheim is a wild card. Verbeek's farm in Wyoming, ON is literally a 15 minute drive to the Hunter's in Oil Springs.

Not like they don't know each other, Hunter's are just a bit older.

Glad I wasn't seeing things lol. That's what I got from watching the Memorial Cup, Dickenson just seemed to be a complete package as you described. Parekh was danced and burned multiple times with lots of turnovers, but was a threat in the O zone. 

MY Dman Ranking 

1) Levshunov

2)Buium

3) Dickenson

4)Silayev 

5) Yamemchuk

6) Parekh

I too am curious to see where he goes your getting a one-dimensional Dman that if he can't explode on the offensive side he's a bust

• Like 1

Just looking at few players that could be available:

Connor McMichael - Washington doesn't have a ton of cap space and now they need to sign a goalie.

Bobby Brink - Philly is in a wierd position and Brink has arb rights.

Pavel Dorofeyev - Vegas is always in cap trouble and Dorofeyev has arb rights.

Marco Rossi - Minnesota is lost, and have said that Rossi is available.

Timothy Liljegren - RFA with arb rights, Toronto is going to be looking to move him.

Justin Barron/Jordan Harris - Harris is said to be available, Barron is eligible for waivers.

Kent Johnson - His name has been out there, but with Waddel taking over that could change.

Kirill Marchenko/Alexandre Texier - Both have arb rights and Columbus has a lot of RFA's to deal with.

Arthur Kaliyev - Has worn out his welcome in LA, there has been talk that they will non-tender him.

Martin Necas - Has arb rights and his name has been thrown out in the rumour mill.

Trevor Zegras - His name has been out there in the rumour mill. Not sure about the fit, but the skill is undeniable.

Barrett Hayton - Clear candidate for a change of scenery and has arb rights.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think his moves to date have been pretty telling. Get players that play now..get some picks /prospects to develop in the system , as high of picks as possible even if they have to be in future drafts 

He's focussed heavy on getting dmen that can play now as well ..since they take longer to develop from draft age 

And to date , has only moved players that had to be moved . With the exception of Zadorov, all were being Attempted to be resigned right up to the last minute 

He's balancing the Now , meaning stay competitive for a playoff spot without leveraging , in fact improving, the future at the same time 

I don't take much from the moves made as for the most part they took Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Miromanov as current players, in 2 of the cases the teams were trying to get rid of them and the 3rd wasn't a current fit and was becoming less of one after the trade, just a fact that in many cases you need to take someone in a trade due to cap and contract limits, do I think any of those players or Kevin Bahl were instrumental in completing the deal on the Flames end?  No I don't, and just because Conroy will put the positive spin means nothing, saying you believe in someone always goes better than "meh we needed to take someone from their roster, he was agreeable from both ends".  But do I believe even with those guys that this is a team that is fighting for a playoff spot as is?  Also a no.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Out of the Dman in this draft I see him as the biggest risk reward. Unless Dickinson or Buium fall to 9th I see us taking Catton or a scoring winger. We have a huge shortage of possible top 6 forwards in the AHL

Agreed, Parekh is high risk high reward.  Could be the next Erik Karlsson or could be the next Tony DeAngelo.  Range is big.  So it comes down to each team's draft philosophy.  Go safe or go big?

2 hours ago, Kulstad said:

Again, your statements are based solely on what the team is saying publicly, which I will concede that is all we have to go on, but that doesn't mean that's what is actually happening.

You honestly cannot say Conroy/management is doing anything because you are not privy to the behind-the-scenes goings-on.  The best you can do is what the rest of us do: theorycraft.  You have no clue that Conroy is only "taking a watch and see" approach, nor if "he will switch to buyer mode", or anything else.  Your opinion on "DeBrusk serves no purpose.  But let's target him" is just that.....an opinion, but it's based on public speculation and rumours created by (say it with me now) "the media".  And what does "the media" do?  Create stupidity and chaos for the masses to consume when they themselves haven't got the faintest idea what's going on either

Maybe I just don't agree with the current moves that Conroy have made so far.  It's not aggressive enough, whichever direction he is choosing.  We won't know what was offered in trades but he seems to want a young prospect rather than straight up high picks.

This FA season will be the most telling.  I would support not committing to anyone long term and make all signings put to be TDL assets.

36 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't take much from the moves made as for the most part they took Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Miromanov as current players, in 2 of the cases the teams were trying to get rid of them and the 3rd wasn't a current fit and was becoming less of one after the trade, just a fact that in many cases you need to take someone in a trade due to cap and contract limits, do I think any of those players or Kevin Bahl were instrumental in completing the deal on the Flames end?  No I don't, and just because Conroy will put the positive spin means nothing, saying you believe in someone always goes better than "meh we needed to take someone from their roster, he was agreeable from both ends".  But do I believe even with those guys that this is a team that is fighting for a playoff spot as is?  Also a no.

I think this FA summer will make the Flames direction more clear.  I hope we load up on 1-year vets for the purpose of mentoring young kids and then trade them at TDL.  It's like found money.

I like players like Debrusk but the timing isn't right for where this team should go.

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What even is Kylington?  I think he came back from injury and hasn't been the same.  He's 27 and it's probably better to give the ice time to Solovyov or Kuznetsov who are both younger.

That's actually a good question.

I was sursprised how fast he got his game back to NHL level, after his 1,5 year long absence. With the arrival of Pachal the bottom pair looked really good for a time and Olivers performance looked better than a bottom pairing guy. Then after the deadline he was out on the top pair with Andersson. At first it looked ok, but the longer the seaon went, the more he was struggling with the top competition and got back to the bottom pair at season's end. I guess missing so much playingtime and develoment and then the sudden toughness out of an nhl schedule took a bit of a toll on him. A proper training camp would've prepared him much better, and it didn't help that Andersson had trouble with his game all season long.

So in trying to answer that question, I think right now he is a quality Nr.5 and with proper preparation next seaon a middle pairing guy if he re-signs.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Just looking at few players that could be available:

Connor McMichael - Washington doesn't have a ton of cap space and now they need to sign a goalie.

Bobby Brink - Philly is in a wierd position and Brink has arb rights.

Pavel Dorofeyev - Vegas is always in cap trouble and Dorofeyev has arb rights.

Marco Rossi - Minnesota is lost, and have said that Rossi is available.

Timothy Liljegren - RFA with arb rights, Toronto is going to be looking to move him.

Justin Barron/Jordan Harris - Harris is said to be available, Barron is eligible for waivers.

Kent Johnson - His name has been out there, but with Waddel taking over that could change.

Kirill Marchenko/Alexandre Texier - Both have arb rights and Columbus has a lot of RFA's to deal with.

Arthur Kaliyev - Has worn out his welcome in LA, there has been talk that they will non-tender him.

Martin Necas - Has arb rights and his name has been thrown out in the rumour mill.

Trevor Zegras - His name has been out there in the rumour mill. Not sure about the fit, but the skill is undeniable.

Barrett Hayton - Clear candidate for a change of scenery and has arb rights.

Of that list I would be interested in:

- Liljegren - we chose Valimaki over him and I think he is a good young guy that has some tools

- Connor McMichael - would be fun to have the play by play guys doing BOA games to hear that, plus I think he's stuck in that lineup

- Kent Johnson - C, what is there to talk about

_ Marchenko - bigger RW

- Kalyiev - I would do a miinor trade for him, seeing that LA may just want to walk away