Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

if BT thinks a Kadri for Marner deal works, maybe get Marner for the year and trade him at the TDL, get the assets then. 

I kind of think Kadri should have been dealt by now as his value probably deteriorates closer to the season, was higher when teams had more money to spend. We probably have to take on a Cap Dump for Kadri now, but could be worth it if teams give a 1st plus prospect along with the dump? 

I feel Kadri can get close to full value without needing to retain and without sweeteners.  His numbers were good last season.  "Full value" meaning a prospect with 2nd line potential.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

With a full No move clause I severely doubt your going to get Marner to agree to come to Calgary, and I sure as heck don’t think your going to get him to agree to be traded twice in a season. 

ya, I don't think so either. 

I guess as teams get closer to September they'll restart looking at their rosters and shoring them up. Maybe it's when a Kadri deal might be had. I think he probably just stays, myself. 

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I don't think so either. 

I guess as teams get closer to September they'll restart looking at their rosters and shoring them up. Maybe it's when a Kadri deal might be had. I think he probably just stays, myself. 

His NMC is an obstacle so he will only go to a contender... But the catch is, contenders are capped out by September.

Only option I see is COL for Landeskog but he is on IR and may never play again.  Maybe career over.  COL will have to sweeten the deal, by a lot.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

His NMC is an obstacle so he will only go to a contender... But the catch is, contenders are capped out by September.

Only option I see is COL for Landeskog but he is on IR and may never play again.  Maybe career over.  COL will have to sweeten the deal, by a lot.

teams are willing to eat IR players because it circumvents the cap legally. So I dunno, maybe they think he can play playoffs? Tough call. 

I don't think he comes here because of the distance from a cup, but then again, what is Toronto?  If Toronato is on a downward spiral, what does that say about staying there?  The decision to waive to come here would have to be as a result of personal choices not related to hockey.  Or he likes the players we have and the direction we are going.  Or wants to play in new rink.

Shiny toys like new rinks and stuff are great but winning is the solution to every problem. Create a winning team and have excessive choices for players. I understand most want a take it to the absolute bottom and get high picks, but there still is no guarantee of success, just a slight bump in probability odds. You still require leaders especially leaders that know what it takes to WIN a championship. Yes you can scream all you want about tanking gets you better odds blah blah blah. The largest catalyst for FLA this year was none other than Chucky and Bennett, man if we were only so lucky to have players like them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Shiny toys like new rinks and stuff are great but winning is the solution to every problem. Create a winning team and have excessive choices for players. I understand most want a take it to the absolute bottom and get high picks, but there still is no guarantee of success, just a slight bump in probability odds. You still require leaders especially leaders that know what it takes to WIN a championship. Yes you can scream all you want about tanking gets you better odds blah blah blah. The largest catalyst for FLA this year was none other than Chucky and Bennett, man if we were only so lucky to have players like them. 

So much confusingism.

We drafted Bennett and Tkachuk picks 4/6... But you seem to not want to be that bad next season and beyond.  Then how do we draft the next Bennett and Tkachuk?

Also, let's win.  Yes.  But there's cycles in hockey.  Teams go up and then teams go down.  There's no such thing as never being at the bottom.  Just embrace nature.  Hold your nose for two to four years if you need to.  As some point, your enthusiasm for winning immediately will be appropriate.

I like that Tkachuk and Benny helped push them. Bennett was my favourite Flame while in Calgary. Tkachuk changed my mind on his playing and I think the flames stifled him a bit keeping him with Backlund maybe one year too many.

I was begging the Flames to play Benny with someone with skill and IQ. Old news though... They are muckers you want for sure!

Florida had a great team though. A lot of first rounders! Just a few big ones:

Barkov had 22 points and was drafted 2nd overall.

Tkachuk 6th overall had 22 points as well.

Reinhart was drafted 2nd overall. He didn't do too bad either and had 16 points.

Benny with 14 points in 19 games is decent, 4th overall.  

Varghege had 21. Have to say they had a deep team. 82nd Overall, 3rd Round

Ekblad was a first overall as well. 

Lindell did well too and was a 12th overall, 1st Round

OEL 1st Round, 6th overall. 

Tarasenko 1st Round

Have to say they had a lot of 1st rounders higher in the draft. Good trades helped a lot. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So much confusingism.

We drafted Bennett and Tkachuk picks 4/6... But you seem to not want to be that bad next season and beyond.  Then now do we draft the next Bennett and Tkachuk?

Also, let's win.  Yes.  But there's cycles in hockey.  Teams go up and then teams go down.  There's no such thing as never being at the bottom.  Just embrace nature.  Hold your nose for two to four years if you need to.  As some point, your enthusiasm for winning immediately will be appropriate.

Been holding my nose and breath for 20+ years lol. I get the cycle process but we tend to put false hope in the fact that this is a new venture, it's not. We were bad for a long period drafted 6th, 4th, 6th, and never got past the 2nd round, this is an absolute embarrassment. The only consistent thing is they have never been successful in doing this. 

20 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Been holding my nose and breath for 20+ years lol. I get the cycle process but we tend to put false hope in the fact that this is a new venture, it's not. We were bad for a long period drafted 6th, 4th, 6th, and never got past the 2nd round, this is an absolute embarrassment. The only consistent thing is they have never been successful in doing this. 

Ya so the cycle is the cycle.  Just let it cycle.

We are going to be bad.   When it's time to be bad, it's important to be very bad because that's the time period to get high picks.  When we get to the cycle to be good, then it's time to be really good.  Trade away picks to win now.

Last time, we were as good as 2nd in regular season standings.  It's not the championship but it was progress.  We were trending well until our star players left town.  Nothing we can do there.  Personal choices.

But we will have a new arena soon so that will help keep star players for this next cycle.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Yesterday’s GM hiring in Edmonton just reminds me so much of the vast difference between them and the Flames. Flames have always had a mandate to hire “good” people, like a gentlemanly country club whereas Oilers were looking for talent and took every retread/problem child.. they could if the guy could play hockey.  I’d like to play only nice guys too but that doesn’t really lead to success. I believe this attitude impacted both Bennett and Tkachuk, and it’ll be interesting to see how Lomberg fits in, whom I like but doesn’t take any bs and dishes out the punishment whenever he sees fit.  Perhaps I’m wrong in my thinking but it seems pretty obvious and been around for decades…

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Yesterday’s GM hiring in Edmonton just reminds me so much of the vast difference between them and the Flames. Flames have always had a mandate to hire “good” people, like a gentlemanly country club whereas Oilers were looking for talent and took every retread/problem child.. they could if the guy could play hockey.  I’d like to play only nice guys too but that doesn’t really lead to success. I believe this attitude impacted both Bennett and Tkachuk, and it’ll be interesting to see how Lomberg fits in, whom I like but doesn’t take any bs and dishes out the punishment whenever he sees fit.  Perhaps I’m wrong in my thinking but it seems pretty obvious and been around for decades…

i can see what you mean. I think what you're referring to is when Tkachuk didn't have back up and guys were thinking we need to turn the other cheek? 

I have to agree that there is a way to be a bit of a dink on the ice barely crossing a line and egging other teams, and then being retaliatory, which if normally a nice team, tends to get you some extra penalties. it is frustrating as a fan to watch. 

That attitude can come with some moxie. I wouldn't mind some bite. I think BT realized this which was why he wasted a few on guys that didn't belong in the league and possibly what he thought Brouwer would be like. Brouwer cashed in on a successful career...

but it's where mistakes are made.

i get you're not saying go out and not care about optics to the point the Oilers are doing, but we need to not care as much about the on-ice optics, yet a line not to cross, aka Sean Avery. You want what Tom Wilson brings but with lesser douche baggery, but what is the line? 

1 hour ago, cberg said:

I don't look at the last years playoffs and say that team doesn't get to within a game without Perry or Kane, especially considering they played and won plenty with Perry eating popcorn upstairs and made a comeback from 3-0 without Kane, Edmonton isn't where they are because they give second chances.  Give the Flames Perry and Kane this year and they are the same crap team, hell we could sign all 5 rapists and still be a crap team.  Don't know who Florida, Vegas, Colorado, or Tampa in recent years have had that count as off-ice bad guys.  I don't see a problem here.

5 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't look at the last years playoffs and say that team doesn't get to within a game without Perry or Kane, especially considering they played and won plenty with Perry eating popcorn upstairs and made a comeback from 3-0 without Kane, Edmonton isn't where they are because they give second chances.  Give the Flames Perry and Kane this year and they are the same crap team, hell we could sign all 5 rapists and still be a crap team.  Don't know who Florida, Vegas, Colorado, or Tampa in recent years have had that count as off-ice bad guys.  I don't see a problem here.

Successful or not, Edmonton has a long history of doing this, and their new GM is the most recent example.  I do believe people should get second chances so hopefully the referred to persons made changes and earned it.   Flames have always been more “gentlemanly”, till recently, and some might not like CC’s penchant for Russian players recently in light of Russia’s current “pariah” status (as viewed by the Western elites).  Personally have no problem, the team is looking for the best players, and the state of world politics is bent and distorted… hey, hockey site… no politics.  

On 7/25/2024 at 6:01 PM, cberg said:

Successful or not, Edmonton has a long history of doing this, and their new GM is the most recent example.  I do believe people should get second chances so hopefully the referred to persons made changes and earned it.   Flames have always been more “gentlemanly”, till recently, and some might not like CC’s penchant for Russian players recently in light of Russia’s current “pariah” status (as viewed by the Western elites).  Personally have no problem, the team is looking for the best players, and the state of world politics is bent and distorted… hey, hockey site… no politics.  

I'll be the first to say I have no issues with Bowman getting work again.. he paid the price for his error.. which I believe his crime was not being hands on and looking into what the issue was and just assuming whatever it was was being handled . It was his job . .  But if Beach himself and Sheldon Kennedy are ok with him moving on.. I'll defer to their judgement.  

What boggles my mind is the Oilers willingness to open what they knew was gonna be a PR nightmare ..for a guy that truthfully doesn't have a great gm record ..  he gets too much credit for those championship teams.. the core was built for him by Tallon..  his own moves were highly questionable ..  The jones contract.. Panarin .. I'd argue they should have had an even longer window ..he slammed it shut ..

Peter Chiarelli 2.0

I tend to scroll through Google news feed. A site there that I've never really seen before, heavy.com, and they were discussing trade rumours, that the leafs have pitched a trade for Kardri, rumoured they'd like him back.

they said a fan put a proposal together on puckpedia and this was their trade:

Maple Leafs get:

• Nazem Kadri (with $3.5 million retained)
  • 2025 fifth-round pick
  • 2026 sixth-round pick

Flames get:

maybe it is what he is worth? And some of the players coming to Calgary are cap dumps, but for some reason I think Kadri is worth more, or maybe it's the 5th and 6ths we are giving up that it then just seems like we are just helping them. 

i guess part of it is trading him to rid gos contract before it becomes a bad one. But if we are also retaining that much salary I'd expect a lot more in return, as that means retaining beyond, and what happens if the Leafs decide to buyout? I guess we would retain less but for longer? 

but still.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I tend to scroll through Google news feed. A site there that I've never really seen before, heavy.com, and they were discussing trade rumours, that the leafs have pitched a trade for Kardri, rumoured they'd like him back.

Maple Leafs get:

• 2025 fifth-round pick
  • 2026 sixth-round pick

Flames get:

maybe it is what he is worth? And some of the players coming to Calgary are cap dumps, but for some reason I think Kadri is worth more, or maybe it's the 5th and 6ths we are giving up that it then just seems like we are just helping them. 

i guess part of it is trading him to rid gos contract before it becomes a bad one. But if we are also retaining that much salary I'd expect a lot more in return, as that means retaining beyond, and what happens if the Leafs decide to buyout? I guess we would retain less but for longer? 

but still.

Hahaha. Stupid Leafs fans. Blockchain your hat.

So 2 naughty guys die and go to hell. Satan comes by and they're partying it up. "What?" Satan asks. "This is awesome, dude, we're CDN, it's always cold, this rocks"!!!

So Satan decides, I'll show them, and jacks up the heat. Goes back, others are begging for mercy. The Cdns are having a BBQ and living the dream.

Satan rethinks, makes it colder than anything the earth has ever seen.

Goes back to the Cdns, and they're jumping for joy and partying it up.

Satan asks, "what is up with you 2"?

"Dude, hell's frozen over. The Leafs must have won the cup".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Maple Leafs get:

• 2025 fifth-round pick
  • 2026 sixth-round pick

Flames get:

but still.

Retain $3.5-mil x 4-years?  That makes Kadri a $3.5-mil x 4 years for TOR... They better give us Easton Cowan for that.

Retain $3.5-mil x 4-years?  That makes Kadri a $3.5-mil x 4 years for TOR... They better give us Easton Cowan for that.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

And Lilygreens and a 1st.lol

Total Leafs pipedream. Dicks.

it was my exact thinking! And trying to make it sound like the Leafs are doing the Flames a favour. 🤣

18 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I'll be the first to say I have no issues with Bowman getting work again.. he paid the price for his error.. which I believe his crime was not being hands on and looking into what the issue was and just assuming whatever it was was being handled . It was his job . .  But if Beach himself and Sheldon Kennedy are ok with him moving on.. I'll defer to their judgement.  

What boggles my mind is the Oilers willingness to open what they knew was gonna be a PR nightmare ..for a guy that truthfully doesn't have a great gm record ..  he gets too much credit for those championship teams.. the core was built for him by Tallon..  his own moves were highly questionable ..  The jones contract.. Panarin .. I'd argue they should have had an even longer window ..he slammed it shut ..

Peter Chiarelli 2.0

Sorry short sighted to say Beach is fine the whole world should be fine, still another John Doe from the Blackhawks and the minor (can't say I'd be stoked if I were the parents).  Not saying he should never work again, but how about working your way up and proving you've changed, getting hired at the same level isn't paying the price.  Poor nepo baby.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Maple Leafs get:

• 2025 fifth-round pick
  • 2026 sixth-round pick

Flames get:

but still.

So, that rag of a blog suggested that we give up two picks plus Kadri at half price for two cap dumps + Robertson's little brother and a 2nd?  I spit out my soup when I read it the first time.  What idiot would think that benefits the Flames at all?  You want to make a trade for Kadri?  Fine, give us a 1st for a top 6 C that has won a cup, plus pay for the value he is right the F now.  Plus pay for us retaining 50%,

Spin it on it's head and we want 1st in 2026 + Knies + Liljegren + Reeves  for Kadri at 50%.

The 1st plus Knies is just for Kadri.  Liljegren plus Reeves (cap dump) is for Kadri at 50% long term.

Neither is realistic.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, that rag of a blog suggested that we give up two picks plus Kadri at half price for two cap dumps + Robertson's little brother and a 2nd?  I spit out my soup when I read it the first time.  What idiot would think that benefits the Flames at all?  You want to make a trade for Kadri?  Fine, give us a 1st for a top 6 C that has won a cup, plus pay for the value he is right the F now.  Plus pay for us retaining 50%,

Spin it on it's head and we want 1st in 2026 + Knies + Liljegren + Reeves  for Kadri at 50%.

The 1st plus Knies is just for Kadri.  Liljegren plus Reeves (cap dump) is for Kadri at 50% long term.

Neither is realistic.

agree! I think people think we wanna dump his cap? I was a bit like, huh? Dumbfounded! That looks like Homer math to me. I see you being more realistic, and the flames don't have to trade him, so there is that too.