Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

On 7/14/2024 at 2:44 PM, jjgallow said:

just because it's easy doesn't mean it's not a great hobby

And to sate that hunger further, Kadri stated that he'd be fine to waive. Coleman is the new flavour, and Buffalo should be interested, according to rumours.

I have nothing against Kadri, I just don't really like how he plays. Personal preference.

However, I don't want to trade anyone, without a sizeable overpay. They say the team that got the best player won.

No idea about the rest of you, but everyone is treating us like a carcass for the vultures.

For that reason alone, in my GM mind, you better pay the Satoshi Nakamoto out of me to continue this nailing my team to the cross in the court of public opinion. Or don't even bother calling.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And to sate that hunger further, Kadri stated that he'd be fine to waive. Coleman is the new flavour, and Buffalo should be interested, according to rumours.

I have nothing against Kadri, I just don't really like how he plays. Personal preference.

However, I don't want to trade anyone, without a sizeable overpay. They say the team that got the best player won.

No idea about the rest of you, but everyone is treating us like a carcass for the vultures.

For that reason alone, in my GM mind, you better pay the Satoshi Nakamoto out of me to continue this nailing my team to the cross in the court of public opinion. Or don't even bother calling.

Agreed…

my only knock on Kadri is he’s not good in the F/O…I can’t help but feel he’d be or

would have been an even better player as a winger.

I’m fine with trading Kadri, Anderson, Weegar, Coleman and Backlund for the right price…I’m also fine keeping them to help lead and teach the younger players as we transition and discover who will be the new core players moving forward over the next few seasons…With that, obviously all Of the above player will even need to move on in one way Or another 

16 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

my only knock on Kadri is he’s not good in the F/O

My biggest knock on him is IQ and tunnel vision. He tries to do everything by himself constantly and doesn't see any options to what he's doing. Way too many turnovers thinking he can fight through every check, rather than see a teammate. He's kind of lucky that Zary came up to play with him. A guy that does that stuff.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

depends what the Flames are willing to spend.    He's worth plenty with a little retention.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My biggest knock on him is IQ and tunnel vision. He tries to do everything by himself constantly and doesn't see any options to what he's doing. Way too many turnovers thinking he can fight through every check, rather than see a teammate. He's kind of lucky that Zary came up to play with him. A guy that does that stuff.

Trues.

And as he gets older, he will slow down.  There's a shelf life here and we should trade him while his stats are still decent.

Agreed Zary and Pospisil carried him the second half.

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

depends what the Flames are willing to spend.    He's worth plenty with a little retention.

Contract length is a problem of course.  Definitely need to find a team like TOR who would go all in this year.  They might be interested.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Contract length is a problem of course.  Definitely need to find a team like TOR who would go all in this year.  They might be interested.

exactly the team i was thinking of

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Thing is, who from Toronto would we take on, who would wave to leave? 

I'd take on Tavares to gain assets at this point, but he's not waving to come to Calgary.

Then getting Kadri would be them moving on from Marner.

So, it would be Marner for Kadri, nothing retained.

They might balk at that, but it would be a good starting point.  LOL.

The other option, and TO fans would hate this even more....

Knies and Liljegren + 2026 1st rounder.

They don't really need either in the next 3 years.

Honestly, I don't see it happening this year.  

I don't think teams are that desperate.

Another year of missing the playoffs or getting ousted in round 1 and teams will beg.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Then getting Kadri would be them moving on from Marner.

So, it would be Marner for Kadri, nothing retained.

They might balk at that, but it would be a good starting point.  LOL.

The other option, and TO fans would hate this even more....

Knies and Liljegren + 2026 1st rounder.

They don't really need either in the next 3 years.

Honestly, I don't see it happening this year.  

I don't think teams are that desperate.

Another year of missing the playoffs or getting ousted in round 1 and teams will beg.

same. Moving on from Marner, they could probably get someone for him. Would Marner and Kadri be a straight across deal? 

We would lose Marner anyway, so maybe a three team deal? Marner has to have some value. 

maybe a three team deal?

like the Leafs take on Kadri, if they see it as a wash, we trade Marner with retention and at least a first coming our way, plus another Sharangovich kind of player, a depth player that can play up on our roster???? And what else? I don't know what the trade would look like or who else they or we would get. 

I dunno, I see the leafs thinking there is value there, more than a Kadri. In Kadri they get about 2-3 years of stability with a player but will need to look at burying him then. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'd prefer the Leafs traded Marner first then dealt with the Flames, if that were to happen. 

I wouldn't mind Marner, but he's not the right target at the moment. 

He's still just 27, which is just entering prime three years at the least.

For perspective, Marner is 4 months younger than McDavid.

I doubt he would waive, so it might be better for the other option I mentioned.

That would kill the fans more.  

Then again, they would have two players to blame in the playoffs; Marner and Kadri.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's still just 27, which is just entering prime three years at the least.

For perspective, Marner is 4 months younger than McDavid.

I doubt he would waive, so it might be better for the other option I mentioned.

That would kill the fans more.  

Then again, they would have two players to blame in the playoffs; Marner and Kadri.

I just don't think it's a good target for the flames as they're building the team. Maybe if the situation were already 2-3 years into the process. Going after Marner would be like trying to build around Gaudreau and leave some holes that are only usually filled at the top of the draft. 

im not against Marner as a player, just not ready for him now.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I just don't think it's a good target for the flames as they're building the team. Maybe if the situation were already 2-3 years into the process. Going after Marner would be like trying to build around Gaudreau and leave some holes that are only usually filled at the top of the draft. 

im not against Marner as a player, just not ready for him now.

Marner makes sense moving for the Laffs.  They can't afford him.  No team is going to take his salary without sending them crap or charging for the retained salary, which they can't afford.  

Why does it make sense to keep Kadri at age 33/34 and not take on a 27 year old that has 6-8 years left of usefulness?  Not that I think it will happen but it makes a ton of sense to get a player in his prime.  Not our greatest need by position, but we could then have room for Zary at top 6 C.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Marner makes sense moving for the Laffs.  They can't afford him.  No team is going to take his salary without sending them crap or charging for the retained salary, which they can't afford.  

Why does it make sense to keep Kadri at age 33/34 and not take on a 27 year old that has 6-8 years left of usefulness?  Not that I think it will happen but it makes a ton of sense to get a player in his prime.  Not our greatest need by position, but we could then have room for Zary at top 6 C.

I get that but I think it would change the plan moving forward, out maybe it adds to the plan. I'm just hoping to bottom out more and grab a top 5 pick in next draft. Grabbing Marner may not change that, but I think it might. Is he that much better than Kadri. 

i see the point you're making and getting out of Kadri contract is wise, just makes me think the owners would see it as a move forward competing again. Maybe it is? Will it get us a true number one center? Maybe. 

you're right, it allows them to play Zary and or Pospisil, at least one of them in the top 6 at C and probably keep Sharangovich at C as well. 

I would love some of Toronto's future picks.  Just saying.

Not even so much the 2025 pick, but ones in later years.   They still have their 2026, 2027, 2028 picks.   

It's a toss-up, because 2026 would let us stack for Gavin McKenna.  But (not naming names), the leafs should start to have some really high-ranked picks after that.   Like, really high.   Nothing wrong with stacking for Landon Dupont lol.    I am confident any trade with them would have every IF, AND, OR available.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I get that but I think it would change the plan moving forward, out maybe it adds to the plan. I'm just hoping to bottom out more and grab a top 5 pick in next draft. Grabbing Marner may not change that, but I think it might. Is he that much better than Kadri. 

i see the point you're making and getting out of Kadri contract is wise, just makes me think the owners would see it as a move forward competing again. Maybe it is? Will it get us a true number one center? Maybe. 

you're right, it allows them to play Zary and or Pospisil, at least one of them in the top 6 at C and probably keep Sharangovich at C as well. 

Marner or Kadri on the team is basically the same thing for competing.  One has a shorter shelf life.  Neither is really going to change the pick they get this or next year unless the rest of the team bounces back.  Wolf is a star; we rebound.  Vladar is a star; we rebound.  Depth scoring past the top 6 happens; we rebound.

I only bring up the Leafs because they love Kadri (after they hated him).  We aren't getting a #1C from any trade he is used in.  Maybe, just maybe, a future #1C.  More likely to get more value in a winger or D.  Hows about Andersson for Marner?  Or Kadri for Ekblad?

As we need a stud forward or a franchise guy, I can't see Marner first off coming here let alone staying here. Kadri, Anderson, and Weegar are the only things on this roster that bring back significant returns.  Kadris is a game-changer and a proven winner. So which club is that one piece away that could afford to make a trade work, that puts this style of player in the lineup to reap the benefits in the next year or so? Dallas, Colorado, Rangers, Devils, Coilers, FLA, Carolina, TO, and Nashville are teams that could benefit from Kadri. Kadri excelled with Nickusikin but who knows if he can get past his demons. A trade of Kadri could get some got pieces back but the caveat is if you tear this to far down you run the greater risk of never coming out of the hole you dug. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tmac70 said:

As we need a stud forward or a franchise guy, I can't see Marner first off coming here let alone staying here. Kadri, Anderson, and Weegar are the only things on this roster that bring back significant returns.  Kadris is a game-changer and a proven winner. So which club is that one piece away that could afford to make a trade work, that puts this style of player in the lineup to reap the benefits in the next year or so? Dallas, Colorado, Rangers, Devils, Coilers, FLA, Carolina, TO, and Nashville are teams that could benefit from Kadri. Kadri excelled with Nickusikin but who knows if he can get past his demons. A trade of Kadri could get some got pieces back but the caveat is if you tear this to far down you run the greater risk of never coming out of the hole you dug. 

alternatively, if you don't tear it all the way down you run the risk of never completing your rebuild, never getting  those elite top players you need.   Like our last rebuild.   9th overall, 9th overall, oh look Parekh's turned out okay let's make a run for the playoffs and sign some guys on bad contracts.

That's the risk of not committing.

I want those top, top talents that are almost impossible to get.  

the way I personally see it, Kadri had a good comeback season, a career year...and should be rewarded by being traded to a contender.    I am willing to bet that deal was already struck between him and Conroy a year ago.   

He is Not entering his prime at that age, he just had a good year.   take the assets imho.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

alternatively, if you don't tear it all the way down you run the risk of never completing your rebuild, never getting  those elite top players you need.   Like our last rebuild.   9th overall, 9th overall, oh look Parekh's turned out okay let's make a run for the playoffs and sign some guys on bad contracts.

That's the risk of not committing.

I want those top, top talents that are almost impossible to get.  

the way I personally see it, Kadri had a good comeback season, a career year...and should be rewarded by being traded to a contender.    I am willing to bet that deal was already struck between him and Conroy a year ago.   

He is Not entering his prime at that age, he just had a good year.   take the assets imho.

if BT thinks a Kadri for Marner deal works, maybe get Marner for the year and trade him at the TDL, get the assets then. 

I kind of think Kadri should have been dealt by now as his value probably deteriorates closer to the season, was higher when teams had more money to spend. We probably have to take on a Cap Dump for Kadri now, but could be worth it if teams give a 1st plus prospect along with the dump? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

if BT thinks a Kadri for Marner deal works, maybe get Marner for the year and trade him at the TDL, get the assets then. 

I kind of think Kadri should have been dealt by now as his value probably deteriorates closer to the season, was higher when teams had more money to spend. We probably have to take on a Cap Dump for Kadri now, but could be worth it if teams give a 1st plus prospect along with the dump? 

I like this plan except for one problem, if Marner does really well and all of a sudden we don't have a top 10 draft pick lol.    Otherwise it's good.

• Like 1

With a full No move clause I severely doubt your going to get Marner to agree to come to Calgary, and I sure as heck don’t think your going to get him to agree to be traded twice in a season.