Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

Just now, cberg said:

Very creative mind there.  Had a good laugh, but who knows?  I'm pretty sure Allen isn't an upgrade over what NJ already had.

Exactly it’s an odd move by NJD, really didn’t solve a thing 

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

Exactly it’s an odd move by NJD, really didn’t solve a thing 

A fun game might be guessing the conditions on the 3rd rd pick. "He has to win 5 games or it's a 7th". "Make the playoffs or it's a 6th".

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Buffalo and New Jersey, Detroit thanks you for never attempting to address your goaltending effectively. We'll take that WC spot. I mean really, they barely even try.

The Flames didn't overplay their hand, those teams have BT's old view that goalies are only a 3rd liners value.

Allen should fit their philosophy perfectly.

Ya I remember when PITS was trading MA Fleury and learning years later that BT never even tried to get him.  BT decided to take a flyer on Mike Smith and Rittich instead.  BT just never placed priority on goaltending until finally Markstrom became available via UFA.

He's doing the same thing in TOR right now.  Trying to get by on borderline goaltending and cheaping out at the most important position.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

A fun game might be guessing the conditions on the 3rd rd pick. "He has to win 5 games or it's a 7th". "Make the playoffs or it's a 6th".

Or better yet…Conroy’s TDL presser…My guess:

we looked as several option but nothing made sense for the price

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I remember when PITS was trading MA Fleury and learning years later that BT never even tried to get him.  BT decided to take a flyer on Mike Smith and Rittich instead.  BT just never placed priority on goaltending until finally Markstrom became available via UFA.

He's doing the same thing in TOR right now.  Trying to get by on borderline goaltending and cheaping out at the most important position.

To be fair to BT, he tried to land Ben Bishop for two or three seasons.

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I really hope the Flames didn't overplay their hand here...

That's a really curious move for the Devils though. Allen isn't great and is signed for next year too. Really odd what the Devils have done here

Well, maybe they wanted too much from a team that wasn't sure they could make the playoffs.

Dumb thing is that at that time NJ had a higher chance of making it.

Losing two in California to ANA and LA plus the FLA loss cratered them.  

I don't know how far back they first had discussions, but the runway was a lot longer.

If all NJ was offering was Holtz and a 1st (likely lotto protected), and wanted retention, then

it wasn't a solid offer.  Mercer + 1st would probably be a done deal with no retention or a good asset.

Bottom line today is we missed out on a TDL move that would improve our pick in 2024.

And whatever the last offer made by NJ was.

Time will tell if we blew it.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Elliot for a 2nd that was around 35th oa in a good draft anyone? Turned out St. Loo took Kyrou.

Just now, conundrumed said:

Elliot for a 2nd that was around 35th oa in a good draft anyone? Turned out St. Loo took Kyrou.

Talbot was probably the best one we had in that long stretch.

BT didn't like him enough to bring him back.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, these conditions, and the "double retentions" have gotten out of hand. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rebuilds from the goalies, to the defence, then forwards for best success.  Since we have Markstrom already, I've really liked that Conroy has focused on defencemen with most of the UFA trades.  Of course, most people(GMs?) have their heads in the sand prioritize points over anything else, the natural tendency is to overrate forwards.  Flames have many new D prospects, and lots of right shot players, both major needs often in short supply.

This may be a bad take, but the aim of the Flames never changed from the Maloney presser.

Markstrom is a god and will carry us back to the promised land.

We wanted all the players that didn't want to be here.

We only moved them because they wouldn't sign for what we wanted to pay.

We won against a poor playing Tampa and games against teams on a B2B

Here comes the playoffs, until we start losing again.

Why we will finish close to the playoff cutoff:

- players gelled after all the media talk

- the ones remaining want to be here and play for each other

- we will win some games as spoiler and lose to spoilers

Why we don't make the playoffs:

- Markstrom the only reason why we had a chance in most games, so if has an off game, we lose

- too many games against valid contenders and playoff teams

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes he did. on 2 different occasions actually. 

he tried to get him at the 2016 draft but as I heard, Pittsburgh wasn't doing it for less than a first round pick. Flames took Tkachukk that year. 

He tried again the deadline but Pittsbrugh worked out a deal with Vegas to ensure that MAF was going to be their selection in the expansion draft. They didn't want to lose their young dman at the time, Doumalin in particular. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I didn't like the deal. I didn't like Elliott.

I liked it at the time. I thought Elliott needed a real starters role. Then as I saw the draft board rolling, I was kinda, oh Satoshi Nakamoto, that's a great pick spot.

Army's a Sarnia guy, he planned that whole thing knowing he'd get Kyrou there.

Source - I asked him when he brought the cup here. lol I grew up with him so it was like seeing a long lost friend.

• Like 1

Just now, cberg said:

Rebuilds from the goalies, to the defence, then forwards for best success.  Since we have Markstrom already, I've really liked that Conroy has focused on defencemen with most of the UFA trades.  Of course, most people(GMs?) have their heads in the sand prioritize points over anything else, the natural tendency is to overrate forwards.  Flames have many new D prospects, and lots of right shot players, both major needs often in short supply.

Agreed rebuilds start from the back out.  Goalies take the longest to develop so you should start there.  Then D.  Then F last.

But this isn't really a rebuild unfortunately.  We're half trying to hang onto Markstrom in hopes of a super quick retool and we make the playoffs next season.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yes he did. on 2 different occasions actually. 

he tried to get him at the 2016 draft but as I heard, Pittsburgh wasn't doing it for less than a first round pick. Flames took Tkachukk that year. 

He tried again the deadline but Pittsbrugh worked out a deal with Vegas to ensure that MAF was going to be their selection in the expansion draft. They didn't want to lose their young dman at the time, Doumalin in particular. 

No, from what i've read, he never even attempted to get MAF during that year.  Only defense of BT was that the Flames were in a deep rebuild and there were other needs.  But in my opinion, G should be the top of the priority list when rebuilding.

Osterle, Lemieux, Cormier, Raanta, and DeAngelo all cleared waivers. Lagesson to the Ducks, Katchouk to the Sens, Bjornfot to the Panthers.

DeAngelo and Raanta likely cleared for cap reasons. Same reason Kuznetsov cleared waivers but Carolina traded for him with retention.

Likely means Gilbert sticking around too.

Deadline is here, now waiting on last announcements to come out officially.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No, from what i've read, he never even attempted to get MAF during that year.  Only defense of BT was that the Flames were in a deep rebuild and there were other needs.  But in my opinion, G should be the top of the priority list when rebuilding.

MAF himself thought he might be gone

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marc-andre-fleury-waived-no-trade-go-calgary/

• Like 1