Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

37 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Ruff Fired Today ... ya , didnt see that coming LOL..especially after last night 

Devils with even league average goaltending right now are likely comfortably in the playoffs. Vezina calibre?? who knows. 

Wonder how much pressure is on Fitz right now. That ownership group can't be happy hearing the rumors of being that close to acquiring a goalie like Markstrom as their season craters. Will he feel it enough to pull the trigger is now the question

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Devils with even league average goaltending right now are likely comfortably in the playoffs. Vezina calibre?? who knows. 

Wonder how much pressure is on Fitz right now. That ownership group can't be happy hearing the rumors of being that close to acquiring a goalie like Markstrom as their season craters. Will he feel it enough to pull the trigger is now the question

but they also need to stop pulling the goalie with 5 min left , down 3 ..and forgetting to even put the 6th man on the ice 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I think if anything, the pressure is even more immense now.  They have just barely enough time to make the playoffs.  Trading for Markstrom solidifies their goalie situation for next season as well.  If they managed to get in this season, then it's possible they have Markstrom and Dougie in the lineup.  Even without him, they are better than today by a long ways.  

They might just throw in the towel, but that would PO the owners.  Another lost year.  Wonderful.  The lure of a possible playoffs (revenue) vs the loss of a few players that aren't getting it done.  You can only blame the players so much, if you have no goalie, but they played a part.  Daws wasn't ready for a full season.  

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Can’t imagine he is too happy hearing every NHL insider say that the Devils have identified Markstrom as the goalie they want and that they will be willing to go into the summer to get him. Shifts the power back to Conroy in the negotiations. Have to think that if Calgary opens it up at the draft the price for Markstrom goes up as well.

I really hate how bozos like Frank S. have turned our team into the looky-loo team.  Hey everyone, look over there.  Owners killing the team.  The goalie hates management.  Hanifin only wants to go to a team that has few trade assets.  Lindholm wants out.  Tanev wouldn't sign.  Bla bla bla.

We used to be quiet about things.  Now we seem to be selling clicks.

12 minutes ago, cberg said:

That is an excellent point about the ages.  Of course, Point, Kucherov, Vascilevski and etc were likely all younger.  Was Stamkos more like our “old man” Lanny?

Yes, they were all younger, but Stamkos and Hedman were acquired more when the team bottomed out.  Kuch, Point and Vas almost every team could've had, and by the time they drafted Kucherov they had already been to the conference finals with Stamkos and Hedman, and the year after they drafted Point they were in the finals.  Tampa.  Tampa is just the #1 team to not use as a tanking example, because they don't win without the players you mentioned and you just don't pull out a #1C like Point in the 3rd round every year, or a player like Kucherov who is a top 5 player in the league in the 2nd.  And for 1 team to get both is mind blowing. 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oof, I kind of feel for him because NJ went through so many injuries and had horrible goaltending.

He can join the Sutter club as guys getting canned before their extension kicks in.  Getting paid millions without having to earn a single cent, must be a rough life.

Here is an awesome example of context ..

People post seravilli says" Maloney and owners nixed the deal " 

Here even out of his own mouth is the piece they left out .." didnt like the return for having to retain " ..suddenly a whole different context than the clickbait we read.. even I agree with that..retention has a price 

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oof, I kind of feel for him because NJ went through so many injuries and had horrible goaltending.

Not a good look for the org. I didn’t like the hire but this is a pretty clear scapegoat move IMO and it looks bad coming off rumors you want pay the asking price for your top target at a major position if need. 

I wouldn’t give up Mercer for Markstrom either but it does look bad all around for Devils. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

maybe Hanifin and Markstrom? That seems like a big haul for just Hanifin.... 

That’s exactly what I was thinking, seems like a reasonable return for both Markstrom and Hanifin 

57 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yes, they were all younger, but Stamkos and Hedman were acquired more when the team bottomed out.  Kuch, Point and Vas almost every team could've had, and by the time they drafted Kucherov they had already been to the conference finals with Stamkos and Hedman, and the year after they drafted Point they were in the finals.  Tampa.  Tampa is just the #1 team to not use as a tanking example, because they don't win without the players you mentioned and you just don't pull out a #1C like Point in the 3rd round every year, or a player like Kucherov who is a top 5 player in the league in the 2nd.  And for 1 team to get both is mind blowing. 

Yes, excellent scouting and drafting...

Wow, Ruff gone.... things are moving fast and furious.  Time to make some popcorn.  When I was commenting previously it was clear that NJ had by far the best, and most young players for a mega-trade.  C'mon Connie, make it happen!

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

So if you want to believe the Edm rumors then I think this would have been your choice. 

Oilers 1st round and Cody Ceci

Vs

Stars 2nd and Grushnikov. 

I don't think is debatable as to what package is better there, IMO the Stars is clearly better. I would have taken that 10/10.  I think it's less about not wanting to take on the salary dump and more you had a better offer on the table. 

I'm not a big fan of ownership here mostly because of their expectations and I think some arrogance that prevents them from making moves that I think are necessary to win a cup. However, even if I acknowledge my dislike I have to admit than they have been good about providing the financial resources when asked or required to in order to improve the club. Don't think the narrative is totally fair that they hold this club back, the situation could be far worse. 

I'm torn on it.   I view the trade evaluation as... which one is more likely to produce an impact player?

on those grounds, you have to really like Grushnikov, to like that trade.    I'm undecided at this point.   Like  you said, he's a nice trade piece but would he be a nice draft pick.   

Anyway, I'm really just waiting to see what happens by tdl.   Can't really make sense of it all until at then at minimum

I believe the Tanev proposal "that included a 1st" was from Toronto. It likely meant taking Reaves.

Reaves is one of the worst players in the league, if that was on the table, the Flames were wise to say no. He doesn't bring enough to the table to justify his role as an enforcer. There are also very few players in the league that will take him on, making him redunant.

Full article is behind a paywall. Interesting headline though. 

Again, if you can get Holtz, it’s a no-brainer. He has 13 goals this year and by all indications wasn’t in a favourable role under Ruff. I’d look at what Sharangovich has done with a change of scenery and I think Holtz has a higher ceiling.

I really like Mercer but it feels unlikely and that’s fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I believe the Tanev proposal "that included a 1st" was from Toronto. It likely meant taking Reaves.

Reaves is one of the worst players in the league, if that was on the table, the Flames were wise to say no. He doesn't bring enough to the table to justify his role as an enforcer. There are also very few players in the league that will take him on, making him redunant.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Probably Ceci then.

I am fine not sending him to Edmonton, even if it meant a first.

It's true that he could have done a lot for them.

That said, I actually don't mind seeing Alberta teams doing well.  My bashing of edmonton is actually more seeded in frustration from what they squander.  I don't actually want them to fail.

Could Tanev save them though?  no.  nope.

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Next couple days it will be telling who is brought up from the farm.  Also would you even take your possible trades on the road trip?

I think they will. Theres probably a good chance you get a game on this trip where Hanifin simply switches locker rooms.

Or do they leave him behind with the idea of him having to fly across the continent before playing against the Flames?

I'm kinda looking forward to the D minus both Hanifin and Tanev to see where we at. It's maybe not pretty, but you don't know until it happens. Stranger things have happened with, "holy crap, that guy isn't a plug - he needed a chance"! stuff.

As a Wings fan, Walman was pretty much a throw-in with the Leddy trade. Now he's top-pairing with Seider and that isn't changing, likely ever. These things happen, there's thousands of great hockey players that just needed the right spot at the right time.

Until you get there, you never really know.

It's exciting as far as I'm concerned.