2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tired?

Just wait until we actually do draft him tomorrow.

You’d think there was only one player in this draft, the way the local media has covered it.

Hey, 960. There are other players available. Believe it or not, there are better players available too.

If they take him, hard to see Jarome sticking around in Flames management. Really complicates things. Contract negotiations. Sending Tij to the AHL at some point.

• Haha 1

All it takes is for one team to go off the board early in the draft. It would really throw this draft into a wild unpredictable frenzy. I don’t see Tij being there at 9, Eiseman is an intriguing option. Conny is looking for players for Huberdeau to feed…don’t think there’s a better scorer in this years draft than him. Catton is a nice alternative if Tij is gone, Silayev was pretty dominant in the KHL so we could add to our backend in a big way. This will be an interesting weekend to say the least! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

You’d think there was only one player in this draft, the way the local media has covered it.

Hey, 960. There are other players available. Believe it or not, there are better players available too.

If they take him, hard to see Jarome sticking around in Flames management. Really complicates things. Contract negotiations. Sending Tij to the AHL at some point.

Tij is arguably not the 9th best player in the draft but I think the fans want it.  I really hope he's gone by 9 so we can avoid the controversy but I honestly don't think anyone is going to do us any favours and take him ahead of us.  Lots of pre-draft hype around Tij but at the end of the day, there are others better than Tij, like Catton, Lindstrom, etc.  Teams will wake up and realize this.  They have no pressure to take Tij but we do.  And I think we will.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Sure in some ways yes, but in some ways no, he has a ton of the intangibles, that help galvanize a team…much like his dad, different style to it, but every bit as effective.

just from his interviews here is what I took note of…and I have done 1000’s of interviews in my day, not saying exactly what I did, but they for some of the hardest people to get a read on so that’s your hint….anyway the read I got was:

1. leader 

2. face of franchise 

having said that, these few  things are huge, and are intertwined, encompassing many smaller elements (too many to list, but drive, determination, team first, dedication, ability to handle pressure…and many more) but these are part of the intangible parts that not a lot of young kids have, and while yes some things can be taught, like leadership, being good at them and having a innate talent for it creates that ability to galvanize a team. He has the potential to be that guy that can put your team on his back and drag them into success.

i liken him to a perfect blend of Chucky and Monahan…not as good at being a pest or at FO’ (that I know of) but has Monahan’s scoring with Tachuck’s play driving ability…which was the biggest knock on Monahan…

that’s an impressive skill set both tangible and intangibles we have lacked badly for a while, and make him an ideal 1st pick for Cgy to build around.

sure others may have more skill in an area or more speed, more passing ability take your pick…outside a MC at number one, I don’t see any other player in the top 10 that have a total package of assets that all are probably in the the top 5, however Tij has no one skill that tops all other picks.

anyway, I’m not about drafting Tij cause of his dad, it’s because of what I have mentioned above and more…Jarome being his dad is just a cool story that helps sell tickets 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

No. Blockchaining. Satoshi Nakamoto. lol

It's lazy, old and all the other adjectives. If his name was Jimmy Smith-Smythe-Smith Vonhildendang Burkholder Paquette Warner Francis VanKempen Dingle Dangle Von Ip, he wouldn't have gained this much traction.

It's Jarome Iginla's kid, he must be Jarome Iginla. Probably even better. Ouch. No. And no.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

No. Blockchaining. Satoshi Nakamoto. lol

It's lazy, old and all the other adjectives. If his name was Jimmy Smith-Smythe-Smith Vonhildendang Burkholder Paquette Warner Francis VanKempen Dingle Dangle Von Ip, he wouldn't have gained this much traction.

It's Jarome Iginla's kid, he must be Jarome Iginla. Probably even better. Ouch. No. And no.

We get it, you don't believe he is worthy of the Flames pick, versus the boys you like in particular.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cberg said:

We get it, you don't believe he is worthy of the Flames pick, versus the boys you like in particular.  

I'm fine with taking him. It's the on & on & on & on & on about it. I swear he's going to break Gretzky's goal record.

He has to for how amazing he apparently is. He should go 1st AND 2nd oa.

How long will it take those same cheerleaders to turn on him if he isn't potting 40 as a 23yo?

I'm just not a fan of hype and always feel bad for the hyped. He's just one prospect, Iginla isn't a brand of goalscorers.

If he's there and we don't take him there will be no end of banter for years.

Satoshi Nakamototy weight to carry into a draft, your fans.

I feel like Twiggy is being talked about so much because of the name.  Not because he would be the next Iggy, but because our biggest recognizable player is Huberdeau, and not for all the right reasons.  We used to have Johnny Hockey, Turtle, Phaneuf, Iggy, Kipper, Newy, Lanny, Gilmore.....Most casual fans now could barely name out top 3.  Twiggy represents a namebrand that they can remember and get a jersey for, without fearing that he would be traded.

If there was no Twiggy, then the media and locals would just be discussing players that might make it to us or could fall close to us.

Lots of talk about Calgary possibly looking to move up from 9, that they really want to get Demidov. 

They did bring in Russian scout Denis Grebeshkov this year, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they have a good read on Demidov and that they want to move up to get him.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Lots of talk about Calgary possibly looking to move up from 9, that they really want to get Demidov. 

They did bring in Russian scout Denis Grebeshkov this year, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they have a good read on Demidov and that they want to move up to get him.

Interesting.  It would be incredible to get Demidov.  Pure offensive talent.

I would imagine it requires Demidov to be available with the CBJ pick... And then the Flames trade up from the 9 spot.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm fine with taking him. It's the on & on & on & on & on about it. I swear he's going to break Gretzky's goal record.

He has to for how amazing he apparently is. He should go 1st AND 2nd oa.

How long will it take those same cheerleaders to turn on him if he isn't potting 40 as a 23yo?

I'm just not a fan of hype and always feel bad for the hyped. He's just one prospect, Iginla isn't a brand of goalscorers.

If he's there and we don't take him there will be no end of banter for years.

Satoshi Nakamototy weight to carry into a draft, your fans.

Yeah the hype, not just Tij is out of control this time of year.  In about a month we’ll all settle down and realize we’ve got about 10-12 new prospects/players and get on with enjoying our all-too-brief Summer, then the Prospects tourney and pre-season, while wondering about the 2025 draft crop and whether the Flames make bottom 5 or miraculously come together and make the playoffs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Sounds like you will need to get past MTL to get Demidov so I would agree you need to get to 4. Moving from 9-4 would be expensive and I don't get why Columbus would want to move down that far. 

Would be great but feels difficult to pull off. 

I guess the CBJ mandate for new GM Don Waddell is to get into the playoffs as quickly as they can.  It's honestly a unique year where there are several teams sick and tired of rebuilding.  NJD, BUF, OTT, DET, etc.  and you can include CBJ who signed Gaudreau and thought they would be a playoff team.  They have pressure to win right away.

And along comes the Flames who are going in the opposite direction.  We have the assets these teams need and want.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Montreal just traded 26th, 57th and 198th for LA’s pick 21st.

Puckpedia has a great pick value calculator so you can see the value of each pick and see how teams figure out these trades.

Wow, second or third team to make a move up.  Seems to be a 2nd as the needed add, so what could we get at around 23/24, or better yet, 4/6?

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

PHI offered a 12th + roster player + another 1st round pick and CBJ reportedly said no.

So the Flames are probably looking at the 9th + 28th + a better roster player than PHI offered.

Unless you know who the player was, it's hard to suggest that the picks weren't enough.

Do we have anyone left that played with Johnny Hockey?

I think Demidov is the best offensive talent in the draft and the most skilled player in the draft. Celebrini is the best all around talent in the draft and there is no chance that Calgary is getting him, but if you have a chance to get the guy you think is the 2nd best player in the draft you try and go for it.