2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Here's my mock. I think I'll get 1/32 corrrect.

1. San Jose- Macklin Celebrini 

2. Chicago- Artyom Levshunov

3. Anaheim- Anton Silayev

4. Columbus- Cayden Lindstrom

5. Montreal- Ivan Demidov

6. Utah- Tij Iginla

7. Ottawa- Zeev Buium

8. Seattle- Sam Dickinson

9. Calgary- Berkly Catton

10. New Jersey- Konsta Helenius

11. Buffalo- Carter Yakemchuk

12. Philadelphia- Beckett Sennecke

13. Minnesota- Zayne Parekh

14. San Jose- Cole Eiserman

15. Detroit- Michael Brandsegg-Nygard

16. St. Louis- Stian Solberg

17. Washington- Michael Hage

18. Chicago- Liam Greentree

19. Vegas- Trevor Connelly

20. NY Islanders- Igor Chernyshov

21. Los Angeles- Adam Jiricek

22. Nashville- Leo Wallenius

23. Toronto- Jett Luchanko

24. Colorado- Teddy Stiga

25. Ottawa- Sacha Boisvert

26. Montreal- Cole Beaudoin

27. Carolina- Emil Hemming

28. Calgary- EJ Emery

29. Dallas- Sam O’Reilly

30. NY Rangers- Nikita Artamonov

31. Anaheim- Charlie Elick

32. Philadelphia- Dominik Badinka

I'm just not sure Verbeek will let Lindstrom slide on by. He flipped a tiny bit last year with Carlsson, I don't think he'll be able to pass on a big, rugged C.

I should add that we should watch ANA closely, because the way it's going, that's gonna be us soon. Verbeek's done a solid job for what he had to do. Plus signing FAs that he can flip for assets. RFAs to reasonable bridge deals etc. I'm not sold that they're starved for dmen, I think Juneau will also be a very good one.

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm just not sure Verbeek will let Lindstrom slide on by. He flipped a tiny bit last year with Carlsson, I don't think he'll be able to pass on a big, rugged C.

I should add that we should watch ANA closely, because the way it's going, that's gonna be us soon. Verbeek's done a solid job for what he had to do. Plus signing FAs that he can flip for assets. RFAs to reasonable bridge deals etc. I'm not sold that they're starved for dmen, I think Juneau will also be a very good one.

Lindstrom probably plays Wing with ANA... They already got Carlsson and MacTavish 1/2... (Probably trades Zegras this summer).

ANA is doing it right.  Bottoming out for franchise altering prospects. Exactly what we should be doing but we won't.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lindstrom probably plays Wing with ANA... They already got Carlsson and MacTavish 1/2... (Probably trades Zegras this summer).

ANA is doing it right.  Bottoming out for franchise altering prospects. Exactly what we should be doing but we won't.

They also have Gauthier.  So I can see them going defense this time around as I don’t think they have too much there.

16 minutes ago, sak22 said:

They also have Gauthier.  So I can see them going defense this time around as I don’t think they have too much there.

I think if Levshunov is there, for sure. A bit shakier after that. They've got 7 picks in the first 3 rds, so I don't doubt they'll be after D. Just a question of how pick 2 goes, I think.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think if Levshunov is there, for sure. A bit shakier after that. They've got 7 picks in the first 3 rds, so I don't doubt they'll be after D. Just a question of how pick 2 goes, I think.

Sounds like CHI is taking Levshunov though. CHI needs everything.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Sounds like CHI is taking Levshunov though. CHI needs everything.

It does. ANA will have their list, so I think 3 is a bit of a wildcard. I think ANA knows they've got a ways to go, so I'm not sure they're ready to be fussy positionally.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It does. ANA will have their list, so I think 3 is a bit of a wildcard. I think ANA knows they've got a ways to go, so I'm not sure they're ready to be fussy positionally.

Buium is a local boy from San Diego.  He's pound for pound the best D after Levshunov... I think he goes to ANA if CHI takes Levshunov... But ANA wants Levshunov more I'm sure.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Buium is a local boy from San Diego.  He's pound for pound the best D after Levshunov... I think he goes to ANA if CHI takes Levshunov... But ANA wants Levshunov more I'm sure.

I wonder if Verbeek is in his 3rd or 2nd draft? I know it's 3, but it was late season in '22 when he was hired. So maybe not a lot of control there. Likely a Wings non-disclosure agreement in place at the time.

Not really sure how he'll lean. I don't doubt he'll follow a list and put his scouts on particular targets.

At the time of the Drysdale-Gauthier trade, the, "why would ANA do it", the answer was, "because they can afford to". I don't think that has changed, but the storyline is now, "they need D prospects".

Verbeek's been around long enough to not draft by positional need. His resume is near spotless, bastard. lol

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder if Verbeek is in his 3rd or 2nd draft? I know it's 3, but it was late season in '22 when he was hired. So maybe not a lot of control there. Likely a Wings non-disclosure agreement in place at the time.

Not really sure how he'll lean. I don't doubt he'll follow a list and put his scouts on particular targets.

At the time of the Drysdale-Gauthier trade, the, "why would ANA do it", the answer was, "because they can afford to". I don't think that has changed, but the storyline is now, "they need D prospects".

Verbeek's been around long enough to not draft by positional need. His resume is near spotless, bastard. lol

His resume is spotless because when you inherit a bottom feeder, there's nowhere to go but up.

Plus, Drysdale was trending average.  ANA doesn't have a high end RHS RD so I think Levshunov would fit their bill.  Buium doesn't fit perfectly.  And 3 is too high to draft Parekh, right?

Demidov is the safe pick for them at 3.  Lindstrom has injury concerns.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

His resume is spotless because when you inherit a bottom feeder, there's nowhere to go but up.

Plus, Drysdale was trending average.  ANA doesn't have a high end RHS RD so I think Levshunov would fit their bill.  Buium doesn't fit perfectly.  And 3 is too high to draft Parekh, right?

Demidov is the safe pick for them at 3.  Lindstrom has injury concerns.

Both Luneau and Warren aren't superstars, but they're great RD prospects. They just need to anchor Mintyukov and Zellweger. 2 more yrs of Fowler and Gudas to bridge the gap is decent enough.

They can add D at 31st oa or in rds 2 and 3. I wouldn't say it HAS to be 3oa. You don't draft by positional need at 3oa.

His resume before getting a GM spot. Highly respected around the league and by players. Patty Kane credits him for his game. Lived with Verbeek in Detroit when he was young.

My list based on no trades for teams to move up or down.

Really doesn't matter, this isn't going to be close.

I would be happy with any of the guys listed here.

2. Demidov

3. Bulium

4. Iginla

5. Catton

6. Dickinson

7.  Levshunov

8. Lindstrom

9. Parekh

10. Yakemchuk

11. Eiserman

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hey are you doing a spreadsheet for this draft? So if we do 2-11 and 28 the would be good, 1 point for any correct ones and 2 if you get the flames ones correct. Not sure on the trades if trades happen, not sure if any one has thoughts on that, whether to void or add points, Thoughts? What about a deadline

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

My list based on no trades for teams to move up or down.

Really doesn't matter, this isn't going to be close.

I would be happy with any of the guys listed here.

2. Demidov

3. Bulium

4. Iginla

5. Catton

6. Dickinson

7.  Levshunov

8. Lindstrom

9. Parekh

10. Yakemchuk

11. Eiserman

#28 is Michael Hage - RHS C

39 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Hey are you doing a spreadsheet for this draft? So if we do 2-11 and 28 the would be good, 1 point for any correct ones and 2 if you get the flames ones correct. Not sure on the trades if trades happen, not sure if any one has thoughts on that, whether to void or add points, Thoughts? What about a deadline

Yes i'm starting a spreadsheet.  

There is a small chance the Flames add another pick in the first round before draft day.  Maybe OTT's 25th?  Maybe TOR's 23?  Maybe we allow changes to the list until June 27 (day before the draft)?  

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes i'm starting a spreadsheet.  

There is a small chance the Flames add another pick in the first round before draft day.  Maybe OTT's 25th?  Maybe TOR's 23?  Maybe we allow changes to the list until June 27 (day before the draft)?  

Your a good man, I will let you guys determine the rules. Maybe call the Message board GM of the year to the winner, I Will put my own guess in but don't want to be part of the event. Let me know who and where to distribute the winnings to. Should be good way to engage everyone, beats watching the Oilers still play, 

15 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I’m hoping TD is right for the 28th pick but more importantly I’m hoping People is right about the 9th pick

I'm wondering why Hellenius fell on a lot of lists.  He should be top 11.  But who knows what scouts think anyway.  I think that teams will draft according to needs, so it makes the job of picking orders really hard.  There is no real consensus, nor should there be.

Here we go:

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Artyom Levshunov

3. Ivan Demidov

4. Zeev Buium

Tij Iginla

Cayden Lindstrom

Sam Dickinson

8  Berkly Catton

Carter Yakemchuk

10 Cole Eiserman

11 Anton Silayev

#28 EJ Emery

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Here we go:

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Artyom Levshunov

3. Ivan Demidov

4. Zeev Buium

Tij Iginla

Cayden Lindstrom

Sam Dickinson

8  Berkly Catton

Carter Yakemchuk

10 Cole Eiserman

11 Anton Silayev

#28 EJ Emery

K thanks, I've created a new Topic for the draft pool.  

Not sure if it was just the way the draft went, but in Conroy's first draft the Flames really targeted size. The smallest player they picked was 6'0" Etienne Morin.

With that in mind, I wouldn't rule out Beckett Sennecke at 9th. Sennecke is a 6'2" RW that had a growth spurt in the past season, there's likely some room for him to fill out his frame.

I really like Catton and Helenius, but it's uncommon to play centre in the NHL when you're undersized. Not saying they can't do it, it's just harder to do. Catton, in particular, is a very exciting player. The kind that people will pay to watch, it would be somewhat disappointing to pass on him because of size. He's not small, he's just not as big as you'd probably like if you want a centre.

1. Celebrities - San Jose Sharks 
2. Demidov - Chicago Blackhawks
3. Levshunov - Anaheim Ducks
4. Buium - Columbus Blue Jackets
5. Iginla - Montreal Canadiens
6. Cattan - Utah
7. Silayev - Ottawa Senators
8. Yakemchuk - Seattle Kraken
9. Dickinson - Calgary Flames
10. Helenius - Flames (from New Jersey Devils)
11. Sennecke - Buffalo Sabres
12. Eiserman - Philadelphia Flyers
13. Lindstrom - Minnesota Wild (Injuries)

28.  O'Reilly - Flames

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

1. Celebrities - San Jose Sharks 
2. Demidov - Chicago Blackhawks
3. Levshunov - Anaheim Ducks
4. Buium - Columbus Blue Jackets
5. Iginla - Montreal Canadiens
6. Cattan - Utah
7. Silayev - Ottawa Senators
8. Yakemchuk - Seattle Kraken
9. Dickinson - Calgary Flames
10. Helenius - Flames (from New Jersey Devils)
11. Sennecke - Buffalo Sabres
12. Eiserman - Philadelphia Flyers
13. Lindstrom - Minnesota Wild (Injuries)

28.  O'Reilly - Flames

Haha, I see what you did there.