2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not sure how to coin it, but just a different build works for me. He has Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar longterm so not much to do about that but work with it. It's only 3 players, and they aren't a downfall by any stretch.

Conroy stated he wants big and fast so you can see already that those elements are being added with Sharangovich, Pospisil and the D prospects. Not taking some plug's lousy contract back to elevate the pick for Tanev, as was rumoured, is tidy work. You can't be mixing mud into your paint, so to speak, it Blockchains your palette up when you need a clean slate to work with.

I'm still a little reticent with the $9 for Lindholm and $7.5 for Hanifin extension rumours, if true. Our roster was so capped out yet nothing but vanilla. Like biting into an avocado for the first time after everyone has told you how awesome they are.

I had no idea about Pospisil, but that kid has bite. As does Zary in a different way, as his bite is more often than not making the right play. Give me a roster of high IQ guys that make the right play and I feel you can get away without superstars. Smart players can frustrate them.

It's pretty much a game of limiting mistakes.

Ya it's different.  It's not the rebuild I wanted but it's likely rebuild I'm going to get.

We might have a new #1 goalie already.  We need a Norris D and an elite #1 Center.  Hopefully we can draft this D this year but we need to stop winning our opportunity away.  The next 10 years depends on these next 15 games.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Pospisil is an almost ideal middle 6 RW. You need the guy that everyone hates playing against but wishes they had. He creates space for his linemates while annoying the crap out of everyone.

The real fun is that he's only going to get better at it.

Mangiapane is an adequate placeholder, so no rush. Kuzmenko is a snipe but I'd likely lose him first due to little else in his play that is worthwhile. Coronato just needs an offseason training year. She ain't 30 games a year anymore. He's going to be a great RWer, just takes time to adjust to zero down time during the hockey season.

In the meantime per Mangiapane, Parker Bell is a prospect that I just can't stop liking. 6'5" doesn't hurt either. lol

Still have Honzek too if he is more than constant IR some day.

The rush with Mangiapane is that he's occupying that teaching spot for defensive play.

Pospisil and Zary don't need it, since they came with that skill.

Would be a good spot for Pelletier or Coronato.

Mangiapane is a pending UFA next year.

He likes to play like he is 6'4" but ends up on the ice more than not.

He only plays LW, which is not always an area of need.

I would consider trading him for a more versatile player.

I think a guy like Trenin would be more useful, both from a size and snarl perspective.

He's a low paid up coming UFA.

Can we take a break from LW's in this draft, unless they play as much at C as LW ?

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya it's different.  It's not the rebuild I wanted but it's likely rebuild I'm going to get.

We might have a new #1 goalie already.  We need a Norris D and an elite #1 Center.  Hopefully we can draft this D this year but we need to stop winning our opportunity away.  The next 10 years depends on these next 15 games.

The deletions from the roster haven't exactly killed our chances of winning each game.

Tanev should have had the biggest impact, but hasn't really hit yet.

Removing Zadorov's dumb plays and penalties have been positive.

Hanifin and Lindholm's not wanting to be hear may have been a room killer.

Lindholm looked like he checked out during the season.

The roster appears to believe they have a chance, so not shutting down in games.

The coach believes in the team in front of Wolf being the reason for the wins.

As far as final standings, I don't think there is much the coach can do.

Even if we play a mostly AHL lineup (spoiler alert - we can't), we will still win games.

In the final 15, we can easily go 7-7-1.  I doubt much better than that.

That may not even matter, since the teams currently behind us are trying to win.

NJ seems to have the toughest schedule, plus they are playing the teams also behind us.

Seattle seems to have the easiest schedule, so they "should" win about 9 games.

Buffalo looks better with Byram, so never count them out.

PITTS has Syd.

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Don't want to start a losing for future attitude, but agree the wins lessen our draft position.  Think(hopefully) we can play to win and  trade up with some of those extra picks if need be.

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

He might be a brilliant GM.   Might.   Seen some very, very positive things.   As @conundrumed described well.

Fumbling the Markstrom trade, and maybe not acing last year's draft, make it too early to say.   I remain undecided and don't think we'll have enough to weigh in on until at Least this year's draft.

If he's a brilliant GM...well.  imho the last one we had here was Cliff Fletcher.

Took him 10 years, without a rebuild.

I can wait.    But I would have preferred 5 years.

thing is, he probably didn't fumble the Markstrom trade and for whatever reason, I still think it's an ownership thing, it got shut down. They probably didn't see the flames being able to compete without him and were like wait a minute, we can't do this thing. 

which to many here who said Wolf should have been up this year, that might have been the reason wolf should have been, to give him time with Marky and I just don't see Vladar as a future option. 

But I agree, the organization botched Markstrom deal and probably don't get the return in the summer.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The deletions from the roster haven't exactly killed our chances of winning each game.

Tanev should have had the biggest impact, but hasn't really hit yet.

Removing Zadorov's dumb plays and penalties have been positive.

Hanifin and Lindholm's not wanting to be hear may have been a room killer.

Lindholm looked like he checked out during the season.

The roster appears to believe they have a chance, so not shutting down in games.

The coach believes in the team in front of Wolf being the reason for the wins.

As far as final standings, I don't think there is much the coach can do.

Even if we play a mostly AHL lineup (spoiler alert - we can't), we will still win games.

In the final 15, we can easily go 7-7-1.  I doubt much better than that.

That may not even matter, since the teams currently behind us are trying to win.

NJ seems to have the toughest schedule, plus they are playing the teams also behind us.

Seattle seems to have the easiest schedule, so they "should" win about 9 games.

Buffalo looks better with Byram, so never count them out.

PITTS has Syd.

Lindholm was checked out before the season even started. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

thing is, he probably didn't fumble the Markstrom trade and for whatever reason, I still think it's an ownership thing, it got shut down. They probably didn't see the flames being able to compete without him and were like wait a minute, we can't do this thing. 

which to many here who said Wolf should have been up this year, that might have been the reason wolf should have been, to give him time with Marky and I just don't see Vladar as a future option. 

But I agree, the organization botched Markstrom deal and probably don't get the return in the summer.

to blame the owners or to not blames the owners, that is the question lol.

we'll never be able to separate that.    I feel BT should be held accountable.   Especially after he left here on his own volition, even to do more wreckless things in Toronto that they will pay for for years to come.  It's clearly his style.

But if one is to hold BT accountable, one cannot just absolve Conroy.

I am left with mixed results, but an overall positive outlook with regards to our GM at this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Can we take a break from LW's in this draft, unless they play as much at C as LW ?

Nope. lol But Liam Greentree's looking pretty shiny for a RWer on an atrocity of a team. I'm not too worried if we're 8th or 16th. The drop off really isn't dramatic at all. Zack Benson (inexplicably) fell to 13th oa last year and is well on his way to playing the entire season with the Sabres.

Most drafts teams make you scratch your head, I'm sure this one will be no different. Anybody feel like a 20 yr old in rd 7? Gazizov from the Knights. I expect the Leafs. lol He looks like a late bloomer. Exceptional puck-handler. Last draft. Camp invite would undoubtedly be Toronto or Detroit. It always is. Might be worth a late rd stab in the dark.

But they also have an intriguing 3C in Sam O'Reilly. Likely a "safe" pick that everyone loves(/s) in rd 2 or 3.

Not getting the stat-boosting icetime. Doing the grunt work. Adjusting to C after being a Dman most of his life.

He'll be a solid pick for someone I'd wager. Great defensively, go figure. Plays big and aggressive, though. Likely a big role at C for the Knights next year. He's in great hands for dev.

I'm way more intrigued with what we can do after the first pick. There's always good underrated depth in rds 2 & 3, regardless of how strong/weak drafts are treated. That stuff is more about high end "potential". Things that don't always work out.

In that range will likely be Hage,

Lucas Petterson

Kamil Bednarik

Luke Misa whose brother Michael with Flint will be a hot commodity next year

Sacha Boisvert

...for starters. Atm I like Bednarik as a guy that's pretty consistently solid at everything but not great at any one thing. Another high IQ guy.

edit

But Hage I'll be able to watch next year without the eyepatch.lol Big Ten Network is a part of my cable package:) Great semi-final games btw. Michigan @ Michigan State final this wkend. My bar/recroom will be full.

I can't hate on Hage for committing to my U of M boys, fu state. We're about 50-50 between those 2 in these parts.

More McGroarty, more Brindley, less MSU hype. Suck it Lansing, Ann Arbor kicks your Hash Rate at pretty much everything.

19 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I still don't think it was botched .. we had a price and it wasnt met ..simple .

But., playing devil's advocate ..if the reports are true that NJ is still hot for markstrom.. theyre sliding quite nicely Into that high pick range with their slide .    Cory Schneider fetched a 5th overall... Now we're wading into fair return category 

23 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I still don't think it was botched .. we had a price and it wasnt met ..simple .

But., playing devil's advocate ..if the reports are true that NJ is still hot for markstrom.. theyre sliding quite nicely Into that high pick range with their slide .    Cory Schneider fetched a 5th overall... Now we're wading into fair return category 

9th overall. at age 27

A 34 year old goalie is not going to net you a top 10 pick. Not unless the Flames want to add to the deal. 

27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

9th overall. at age 27

A 34 year old goalie is not going to net you a top 10 pick. Not unless the Flames want to add to the deal. 

I think it would be more reasonable to target the 2025 draft for a 1st from NJ, if that is what you want.  NJ is one of those teams that you can't figure out if they will be playoff bound or bottom 10.  Last year 112 points, this year just out.  With Dougie they expect to make the playoffs, but they seem content to invest in poor goaltending.  Or temporary solutions.  Allen is not a true starter.  Next year will be a coin flip.  They have a ton of cap and a 1b goalie on contract.  With that cap, they only have 8F signed so far and lose two players in the WJC thing.  They could very well be found innocent, but I doubt NJ wants them back.

They claim to be going after the big fish for a goalie this summer.  Other than Markstrom, who else would they even consider.  But, I don't think they are trading picks in 2024 draft.  1x1st, 2x3rd, 2x5 and 1x6th.  In 2025, they have a 1st and either 2x2nd or 2nd + 3rd.  I don't think they trade their own 2nd, because it would have to have conditions if they send it to MTL, but won't know until end of next season.

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

9th overall. at age 27

Ya agree.  Markstrom + Canuck's 1st pick is more reasonable.

Originally, NJD's pick was supposed to be in the 20s.  But top 9 is a different story.  Much more expensive to acquire.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Originally, NJD's pick was supposed to be in the 20s.  But top 9 is a different story.  Much more expensive to acquire.

The Devils are in a mix with a whole bunch of teams to miss the playoffs.

I wouldn't put money on any of them ending up 8-10th.

11 teams separated by 8 points, 5 of them 3 points or less.

In the East, only 5 teams look to be on the verge of clinching a spot.

In the West, the Central is the powerhouse, so probably only VGK and LA are in real danger from the Pacific.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't know if New Jersey even had a first on the table for either 2024 or 2025, everything I've heard was Holtz was basically the return.  And if you view Holtz highly I guess you can say 1 for 1 would be a good move, but Holtz carries the same value right now as Sven Baertschi did when we moved him.

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't know if New Jersey even had a first on the table for either 2024 or 2025, everything I've heard was Holtz was basically the return.  And if you view Holtz highly I guess you can say 1 for 1 would be a good move, but Holtz carries the same value right now as Sven Baertschi did when we moved him.

Ya true, we will never know what was actually offered.

It would be a huge win if the Flames can somehow get NJD's top 10 pick this year for Markstrom in some way.  

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya true, we will never know what was actually offered.

It would be a huge win if the Flames can somehow get NJD's top 10 pick this year for Markstrom in some way.  

Would be a huge win, but I not one I expect, if it wasn't on the table at the deadline when it was an unknown commodity it won't be in the offseason when it is known but by the offseason I imagine Saros is back in play, Ullmark will be shopped more heavily, and who knows who else, I don't know how close it actually was last month but I don't think the offers improve in the offseason.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Would be a huge win, but I not one I expect, if it wasn't on the table at the deadline when it was an unknown commodity it won't be in the offseason when it is known but by the offseason I imagine Saros is back in play, Ullmark will be shopped more heavily, and who knows who else, I don't know how close it actually was last month but I don't think the offers improve in the offseason.

Especially considering the GM made comments about feeling extorted. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Especially considering the GM made comments about feeling extorted. 

That's actually what I like to hear lol, that's a + for Conroy.

We've had some previous GMs that had a "great reputation" with all the other GMs.   lol.

59 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

We've had some previous GMs that had a "great reputation" with all the other GMs.   lol.

It has also been said that Craig Conroy and Fitzgerald have a great working relationship. They worked together in USA hockey. 

And also NJ called about Saros as well as other goalies too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It has also been said that Craig Conroy and Fitzgerald have a great working relationship. They worked together in USA hockey. 

NJD retained salary to facilitate the Tanev trade so I would imagine the working relationship is solid.  Fitzgerald may have sounded frustrated he couldn't land Markstrom but that's also part of the poker/4d chess he's playing.  He wants the price to come down obviously but maybe we're not too far apart.

Also I believe it was Friedman who reported towards the final hours of the TDL, that NJD still has interest in Markstrom.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

NJD retained salary to facilitate the Tanev trade so I would imagine the working relationship is solid.  Fitzgerald may have sounded frustrated he couldn't land Markstrom but that's also part of the poker/4d chess he's playing.  He wants the price to come down obviously but maybe we're not too far apart.

Also I believe it was Friedman who reported towards the final hours of the TDL, that NJD still has interest in Markstrom.

Yeah he has to justify not landing the big fish to his fanbase and media to try and get them off his back, don't think anything was too personal or malicious there and far from a Burke/Lowe situation.