2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Just now, conundrumed said:

We have our own Sarnia Legionnaires. I'm very familiar with the OJHL. I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out. lol

Really fun games. But a 20yo in that league? You don't have to be an expert. Next stop, Niagara University. Does that sound even remotely practical for a path?

It felt like they ran out of guys on their list. After the two 4th's, weren't picking for a while. Probably a regional scout pounding the table.

Would have rather Kiviharju. Although most teams won't take a defenceman that small

Just now, phoenix66 said:

And about to spend a few years at college .. time to work on more game .. not saying he's a great pick, just that scouts see something in his game that can still develop 

no one is saying they don't agree with that, just that the player probably doesn't go until later in the draft or not wven in this draft.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Sensible analysis.. he has up to 4 years to develop more .. 

Heard Sigalet talk about how they pick goalies and he talked about where they were gonna play and what that meant for their timeline and when the flames would need to make a decision on them as a factor.

A CHL guy they would need to sign in 2 yrs vs a guy playing in Europe or going NCAA and how the rest of their pipeline is graduating.

Not gonna lie but I kinda hate that.

1 minute ago, iceman1970 said:

OK.  My kid played Jr B in Calgary and the best players were WHL overagers that had gotten cut and were going back to school...not on a path to the NHL anymore...very weird pick

So here, we have the Legionnaires are basically the Sarnia Sting's farm team. The London Diamonds are the Knights farm team. Typically, the 16yos may go there first and earn a spot with the big team.

Otherwise, they're great games to watch for $10.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There is always going to be one thrown away pick.  It may be this last one or the fact they traded to get two picks when they had B2B picks.  I'm not sure if there is much quality to be had from this point on.  Maybe a surprise player, but unlikely a star.

Yeah, I get going off the board with B2B picks or trading back, but not both

Just now, conundrumed said:

So here, we have the Legionnaires are basically the Sarnia Sting's farm team. The London Diamonds are the Knights farm team. Typically, the 16yos may go there first and earn a spot with the big team.

Otherwise, they're great games to watch for $10.

IMHO, it's fine to pick a kid in the feeder leagues like AJHL or BCHL or an overager that is crushing the CHL.  There are risks and maybe he was passed over for good reasons in the other drafts....But, an overager in a feeder league?  That's probably the worst of the worst place to go.

I mean we draft this guy then lin the 5th go for Misa.

Man, Carolina picked Poirier's brother.  Spitting image of his brother.