2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I can't get over Misa at 150. What even? He's like a squirrel on a peanut when he's hungry.  Dev camp looked pretty easy for him for a first -timer.

Can't wait to draft his brother next year.  Will it require a top 3 pick you think?

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Can't wait to draft his brother next year.  Will it require a top 3 pick you think?

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Impossible to say. See where it goes. We'll have some nice shots at the board.

Well, let's see how the draft eligible guys do this year.  It's not too early to start watching them, but if the last view was a tourney, I would be suspect of any ranking.  And maybe we also see how our guys progress.  I don't like drafting by position, but if we have guys flooding the AHL with awesome seasons, we may have to focus elsewhere.  

44 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think a top 5 pick gets you a shot at Misa. 

Hard to judge a year out. Hagens, Frondell, Martone, Misa and Ryabkin look like they have the ability to be high picks. 

I will inject some input into the Strogren files, lol. I watched a lot of the Wranglers last year.  Strogren was invisible during the first half and lights out towards the end of the year and playoffs. IMHO playoffs are the best way to separate the men from the boys. Strogrem, Morton, and Coronato were the Wranglers' best players on the ice.  Strogren and Morton are play drivers which we have few of. He has a very good IQ with the puck and is a play driver of which we have very few of. Kind of reminds me of a Necas style but not quite as fast but more skilled, if that make sense, . Most nights Matt Coronoto was the best Wrangler but Morton stood out for me as well. He touches every aspect well in the dot, high IQ, and skates well, he's like a Jack Russell terrier on a ball. Morton IMHO is a far better all-around player than Kevin Rooney. If you want to play a skilled pace game he and Storgren as great options. Stromgrem could make the roster over a guy like Pelletier 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I will inject some input into the Strogren files, lol. I watched a lot of the Wranglers last year.  Strogren was invisible during the first half and lights out towards the end of the year and playoffs. IMHO playoffs are the best way to separate the men from the boys. Strogrem, Morton, and Coronato were the Wranglers' best players on the ice.  Strogren and Morton are play drivers which we have few of. He has a very good IQ with the puck and is a play driver of which we have very few of. Kind of reminds me of a Necas style but not quite as fast but more skilled, if that make sense, . Most nights Matt Coronoto was the best Wrangler but Morton stood out for me as well. He touches every aspect well in the dot, high IQ, and skates well, he's like a Jack Russell terrier on a ball. Morton IMHO is a far better all-around player than Kevin Rooney. If you want to play a skilled pace game he and Storgren as great options. Stromgrem could make the roster over a guy like Pelletier 

There is still a chance for Pelletier, but I think he missed his invite last season.  That injury derailed him.  Could possibly have made the team out of camp.  But anyway, the problem is now other are ahead of him in both NHL experience and fit.  He may have to find his way in through 4th line duty or by injury call up.  The latter rareky works out, since they tend to move up the 4th liner and whoever is already on the roster as as 13th or 14th player.

Anyway, I never actually watch any games but regularly checked blogs and scores.  Morton seemed to find his way into both.  Strom also started making an impact.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There is still a chance for Pelletier, but I think he missed his invite last season.  That injury derailed him.  Could possibly have made the team out of camp.  But anyway, the problem is now other are ahead of him in both NHL experience and fit.  He may have to find his way in through 4th line duty or by injury call up.  The latter rareky works out, since they tend to move up the 4th liner and whoever is already on the roster as as 13th or 14th player.

Anyway, I never actually watch any games but regularly checked blogs and scores.  Morton seemed to find his way into both.  Strom also started making an impact.

100% love the kid his energy and the timing of injuries are never a good thing. He played tentative when he came back. The crappy thing with injuries its hard to come back from.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2024-25 NHL Prospect Pool Breakdown: Calgary Flames’ Top 10 - Daily Faceoff

Solovyov and Klapka aren't listed as notables. Two guys that could be early season recalls.

Not a bad list though.

It’s not a bad list but outside of G and D it’s pretty much high end bottom 6…maybe bottom 9, which is not a horrible thing, we lack top line across the board and are thin at Ctr…if the next 2 drafts and a few trades break in Cgy’s favour…sadly this team has no luck really, considering every possible bad outcome for conditions this year happened that’s kinda the luck we get here…loose Gaudrau for nothing, moved Chuck of Hubie which looked good on paper but turned bust…traded Monahan for cap

space and lost a 1st rounder in that deal and seen Monahan bounce back closer to his normal form which at this point would make him the best Ctr on the the flames again…moved Bennett (true never gonna be a 1st line Ctr, but he’s one heck of a 2nd line Ctr and had we kept him he’d probably be the 2nd line Ctr hands down for Cgy 

I Just can’t help but feel BT purposely made some

of theses moves to screw Cgy like he was planning to bail and go to TO 

17 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I Just can’t help but feel BT purposely made some

of theses moves to screw Cgy like he was planning to bail and go to TO 

As not a BT lover, I don't think he was "evil" in that way.  just, self-serving.

I think he had good intentions, from a short-term perspective.    He would have wanted to pull a Fletcher.   win a cup here, and then go to Toronto.

But he's not Fletcher.

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

As not a BT lover, I don't think he was "evil" in that way.  just, self-serving.

I think he had good intentions, from a short-term perspective.    He would have wanted to pull a Fletcher.   win a cup here, and then go to Toronto.

But he's not Fletcher.

Fair, but you have to wonder why Conroy will not deal

with him…

12 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

with him…

I think it's what BT is offering,  Connie perhaps uses his scouts to evaluate trade proposals.

Nah, he hates BT.  Left him with 1/2 a team.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

with him…

I am not too worried whether Conroy deals with BT or not. He doesn't have to. He has dealt with Jersey twice, I get that, but if he has made a deal with every GM but BT, then I would wonder.

We don't know what BT is offering and whether the Flames staff decide that is the offer they're looking for. All we know is BT is looking to build a contender in TO and hoping Conroy (one of the teams in this position) to help him out. Thats not Conroy's job, just because they were on the same team once before and likely still amicable, nor does the Flames organization have to. 

what is it that we would want out of Toronto? Maybe if we can land Cowan? Likely they overrate him. Is there anything else? Their 1st? Was their offer for Markstrom or Tanev better than the ones Conroy accepted?

I don't know the details, but maybe there are still deals to be had. the off season is still kind of young. 

I don't know if I like anything Toronto has to offer other than a pick and don't know their prospects enough to garner any, other than Cowan. But their media tend to overrate their team so it's tough to call.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:53 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

2024-25 NHL Prospect Pool Breakdown: Calgary Flames’ Top 10 - Daily Faceoff

Solovyov and Klapka aren't listed as notables. Two guys that could be early season recalls.

Not a bad list though.

They are generally ranking the highest ceilings.

Where does Suniev rank when he signs? I'm guessing 5-6?

Wolf and Pelletier would hopefully be gone from this list, so maybe in the top 5?

On 7/12/2024 at 11:53 PM, robrob74 said:

I am not too worried whether Conroy deals with BT or not. He doesn't have to. He has dealt with Jersey twice, I get that, but if he has made a deal with every GM but BT, then I would wonder.

We don't know what BT is offering and whether the Flames staff decide that is the offer they're looking for. All we know is BT is looking to build a contender in TO and hoping Conroy (one of the teams in this position) to help him out. Thats not Conroy's job, just because they were on the same team once before and likely still amicable, nor does the Flames organization have to. 

what is it that we would want out of Toronto? Maybe if we can land Cowan? Likely they overrate him. Is there anything else? Their 1st? Was their offer for Markstrom or Tanev better than the ones Conroy accepted?

I don't know the details, but maybe there are still deals to be had. the off season is still kind of young. 

I don't know if I like anything Toronto has to offer other than a pick and don't know their prospects enough to garner any, other than Cowan. But their media tend to overrate their team so it's tough to call.

I have no doubt Conny would do a deal if it were the best offer .

Word was Toronto wanted both Tanev and Zadorov but it included high retention and a first ..  in the end we got multiple picks doing them separately and only minimal retention on Tanev ..

Same with Edmonton.. we heard the whining that we snubbed Edmontons offer on Tanev but wore was we had to retain and take on Ceci .. no thanks ..

I can't imagine the offer on Markstrom was that attractive either ..

To be fair Toronto is handcuffed with a lack of picks and only a couple higher end prospects to work with 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 11:28 AM, conundrumed said:

I can't get over Misa at 150. What even? He's like a squirrel on a peanut when he's hungry.  Dev camp looked pretty easy for him for a first -timer.

talent-wise, is there really any difference between him and the players in the top half of the first round?

i know there's a reason for everything but this has the potential to play out Gaudreau style or better.

48 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

talent-wise, is there really any difference between him and the players in the top half of the first round?

i know there's a reason for everything but this has the potential to play out Gaudreau style or better.

That's a pretty high bar, considering what JH did in his 3 seasons at BC.  I think it's just the way you worded it, but it's steal in the 5th category is what I think you were getting at.

53 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I looked at this past draft as, if you can't get Catton, Misa would probably be your "Catton-lite".

I'm in shock he fell to 150. He's not that far behind Catton. 8 to 150? I wouldn't have expected that.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2024 at 10:08 AM, phoenix66 said:

I have no doubt Conny would do a deal if it were the best offer .

Word was Toronto wanted both Tanev and Zadorov but it included high retention and a first ..  in the end we got multiple picks doing them separately and only minimal retention on Tanev ..

Same with Edmonton.. we heard the whining that we snubbed Edmontons offer on Tanev but wore was we had to retain and take on Ceci .. no thanks ..

I can't imagine the offer on Markstrom was that attractive either ..

To be fair Toronto is handcuffed with a lack of picks and only a couple higher end prospects to work with 

Prospects, I’m not seeing “higher”

end on any of their prospects except TO saying so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 11:49 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

That is an extremely misleading/misguided comp. Just a glance at rosters tells you that there is zero chance Battaglia leafrogs Cowan/Gazizov or Haltunnen at RW on the Knights roster. He'd be 3rd line with little to no PP time.

No offence meant to Battaglia, just pointing out how silly this comp is from someone calling themselves a scout.

The situation for each player is nearly 180 degrees different.

• Like 1