2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nah, scoring is the hardest thing to do in hockey.  Yakemchuk can do this.  But yes, he's not high IQ and doesn't defend well.  RW sounds like where he should be. Shades of Dion Phaneuf in some ways.  Still, Yakemchuk has an elite snipe from distance.  He's a rare perimeter shooting threat from the point, something the Flames are missing badly.  Teams are going to pick him very high and forgive the defending shortfalls.  Plus, the 6'-3" frame, grit, and coveted RHS.

Dickinson has some of the same problems too.  He's very Noah Hanifin.  Has all the tools but he's "raw"... Same with Valimaki.  Always raw and needs more seasoning.  But Hanifin never really got it.  Settled in as a 2/3 guy at the NHL level.  Valimaki is only finally coming around too after all these years.

And how many high-scorers in jr never successfully jump to the next level due to weaknesses in other areas that are more important? Particularly skating and play away from the puck. If you don't command those things, you don't get ice time. Tij is having the same problem. So they improve those things, how will it affect their highlight reels? Could be significantly, could be little. Next level, that cheating the play has to end, or the coach doesn't trust you.

It's why guys who have the 200' game are so valued. They know where they're supposed to be at all times and don't play high risk constantly.

That's why Dickinson, Letunov and Buium are ranked way higher than Yakemchuk. They pick their spots without cheating D responsibility.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Nah, scoring is the hardest thing to do in hockey.  Yakemchuk can do this.  But yes, he's not high IQ and doesn't defend well.  RW sounds like where he should be. Shades of Dion Phaneuf in some ways.  Still, Yakemchuk has an elite snipe from distance.  He's a rare perimeter shooting threat from the point, something the Flames are missing badly.  Teams are going to pick him very high and forgive the defending shortfalls.  Plus, the 6'-3" frame, grit, and coveted RHS.

Dickinson has some of the same problems too.  He's very Noah Hanifin.  Has all the tools but he's "raw"... Same with Valimaki.  Always raw and needs more seasoning.  But Hanifin never really got it.  Settled in as a 2/3 guy at the NHL level.  Valimaki is only finally coming around too after all these years.

haha, not you; but you lost me at perimeter shooter. I get we need those, but also need guys who actually go to the net when those shots are taken. Good to have, but if the players don't go to screen or dig then the player is useless, and what if they can't do anything else!

Not on the player to worry about the other part of the team game, hope Conroy understands this, that the team has held the puck a lot in the last 10+ years, but not a lot of play in the slot.

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

haha, not you; but you lost me at perimeter shooter. I get we need those, but also need guys who actually go to the net when those shots are taken. Good to have, but if the players don't go to screen or dig then the player is useless, and what if they can't do anything else!

Not on the player to worry about the other part of the team game, hope Conroy understands this, that the team has held the puck a lot in the last 10+ years, but not a lot of play in the slot.

I believe you're talking about Zary!:)

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I believe you're talking about Zary!:)

yup, we are getting there with an extra guy. Maybe Kuzmenko goes there too. I might be Jaded...

I know Saks mentioned Tkachuk as an elite. I think we got one year of that out of him. His usage was probably holding him back? Still, I don't think he's a guy who drags the whole team in, which might be elite.

Let's have some fun.

Here's my mock, after one spin on tankathon.

1. OTT- Macklin Celebrini

2. SJ- Ivan Demidov

3. CHI- Artyom Levshunov

4. ANA- Anton Silayev
5. CBJ- Cayden Lindstrom

6. MTL- Tij Iginla

7. UTAH- Berkly Catton

8. CGY

What would you do in this scenario?

I think there would be four options, they'd strongly consider. Dickinson, Eiserman, Parekh and Helenius. I think I would take Dickinson, but it could really go any way and I'd understand the thought process. Buium is in that mix too.

I think we win two of the next three. It's just how the Flames roll. 
I think we draft 9,10, or 11 depending what the other teams do. 

we win tomorrow and we solidify the 8 spot but possibly hit 9th in the process.

Zeev Buium with a beauty assist for Denver in the National Championship.

This is a good draft,  but it’s also a weird draft. I have Celebrini and Demidov as the top two. After that, I think you can make an argument for a bunch of players from picks 3-11.  Could Levshunov go 3rd? I think so. If a Chicago picks third, could I see them target a skilled forward to compliment Bedard? Yup.

I feel good about the Flames coming out of their first pick with a really solid prospect. Probably their best prospect since Tkachuk, given where they’re likely to be picking.

I think the last three games are sneaky difficult. The Yotes trying to send that era of the franchise off the right way.

Canucks fighting for a division.

It took OT for the Flames to beat SJ last week. In the season in finale, the Sharks may have Will Smith. 71pts in 40 games in the NCAA as a freshman. He could arrive in game 82 and make a statement. If I had to guess, pick 8 or 9 is where the Flames end up. 

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Let's have some fun.

Here's my mock, after one spin on tankathon.

1. OTT- Macklin Celebrini

2. SJ- Ivan Demidov

3. CHI- Artyom Levshunov

4. ANA- Anton Silayev
5. CBJ- Cayden Lindstrom

6. MTL- Tij Iginla

7. UTAH- Berkly Catton

8. CGY

What would you do in this scenario?

I think there would be four options, they'd strongly consider. Dickinson, Eiserman, Parekh and Helenius. I think I would take Dickinson, but it could really go any way and I'd understand the thought process. Buium is in that mix too.

Would love for Tij to be gone earlier than our pick so the Flames can avoid the controversy of picking him vs picking a need (D and C).

In that scenario, I think it's easy.  Dickinson is the best D available.  Buium is my next choice.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Would love for Tij to be gone earlier than our pick so the Flames can avoid the controversy of picking him vs picking a need (D and C).

In that scenario, I think it's easy.  Dickinson is the best D available.  Buium is my next choice.

why dey no score goal?

They waiting for NHL to score goal?  😅

Still not ready to make my list.   but, I have a pretty steep penalty for guys who can't put the puck in the net.   defence or not.   

one of these days I will give my list.   I'm trying .

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

why dey no score goal?

It's the difference between knowing when it's necessary to ramp it up down by a goal and protecting a lead. Also the difference between knowing how to trust and accommodate your forwards than trying to be a one-man show.

If you want your dmen to be wingers, why not just get good wingers that good dmen can accommodate?

If that's aimed at Dickinson, sorry man, but that's laughable. You're not watching him. When the Knights need a goal, I guarantee you that he's the first guy they send out. And he'll not disappoint, usually. He has a lot of 3rd assists. lol Just because he didn't score it, or even get an assist, doesn't mean he had nothing to do with it.

They're in the playoffs vs Kitchener rn, watch him. Then you can see Sam O'Reilly too. C, should go within 60th oa. He'll be their 1C next year.

Added bonus: Brzustewicz plays for Kitchener. Don't confuse him with his younger bro, who plays for London. lol

It's the difference between knowing when it's necessary to ramp it up down by a goal and protecting a lead. Also the difference between knowing how to trust and accommodate your forwards than trying to be a one-man show.

If you want your dmen to be wingers, why not just get good wingers that good dmen can accommodate?

If that's aimed at Dickinson, sorry man, but that's laughable. You're not watching him. When the Knights need a goal, I guarantee you that he's the first guy they send out. And he'll not disappoint, usually. He has a lot of 3rd assists. lol Just because he didn't score it, or even get an assist, doesn't mean he had nothing to do with it.

They're in the playoffs vs Kitchener rn, watch him. Then you can see Sam O'Reilly too. C, should go within 60th oa. He'll be their 1C next year.

Added bonus: Brzustewicz plays for Kitchener. Don't confuse him with his younger bro, who plays for London. lol

Yes it takes a team to make a team.  I guy can’t do it all.  Saw a great example in last night’s Oilers-Vancouver game.  Third period, V up one, sitting back in a zone protecting the net front.  Oilers skating around the perimeter getting nowhere.  Drysaitl gets the puck at the point, drives headlong into the slot, gets smothered by the net which closes around him.  Not sure if frustration, leadership or what. Doesn’t work.  

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Yes it takes a team to make a team.  I guy can’t do it all.  Saw a great example in last night’s Oilers-Vancouver game.  Third period, V up one, sitting back in a zone protecting the net front.  Oilers skating around the perimeter getting nowhere.  Drysaitl gets the puck at the point, drives headlong into the slot, gets smothered by the net which closes around him.  Not sure if frustration, leadership or what. Doesn’t work.  

Yup. Draisaitl's a great player, too. It speaks volumes to just how much space McDavid creates when he has the puck. We can sour grapes him all we want, but as a player, he is the best player in the league. It is more than evident hockey has been his entire life growing up. Evidenced by the almost non-existent, almost robotic personality. I had to take a shot at him somehow. lol

P.G. has terrorized Kelowna through 2 games so far. No points for Iginla. No points for any of his teammates either, though. 4-zip & 5-zip.

Brzustewicz has looked good vs London, but that doesn't mean much for his team. They're down 2-0. Bruce had 1g, 2a in the 5-3 loss, nothing in last night's 5-1 loss. Get your brooms out. The Blockchaining Knights are always a massive threat. Every year. It's boring.

Stupid turncoat Hunter's, a pox on you all. lol

42 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

P.G. has terrorized Kelowna through 2 games so far. No points for Iginla. No points for any of his teammates either, though. 4-zip & 5-zip.

Brzustewicz has looked good vs London, but that doesn't mean much for his team. They're down 2-0. Bruce had 1g, 2a in the 5-3 loss, nothing in last night's 5-1 loss. Get your brooms out. The Blockchaining Knights are always a massive threat. Every year. It's boring.

I want PG to win it all.

They’ve really stabilized things as an organization, but it’s not an easy market to land players. I’ve been told that they’ve had drafts with a top 3-5 pick and they’ve had to take the 20th guy on their list because the first 19 wouldn’t play for them. Combination of the org and the market. It’s nice to see them doing well. Getting Heidt to play for them was huge.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm totally with you man

20231121lethbridge-0489-1-scaled.jpg

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. Draisaitl's a great player, too. It speaks volumes to just how much space McDavid creates when he has the puck. We can sour grapes him all we want, but as a player, he is the best player in the league. It is more than evident hockey has been his entire life growing up. Evidenced by the almost non-existent, almost robotic personality. I had to take a shot at him somehow. lol

Also he plays for the Oilers

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

you'd think the Flames would scout the "O"... not saying they don't, nor have I done any research on the matter. Just seems they draft the "W" most of the time. 

I am really not sure about Celebrini as I think he tops out as a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I would have no problem trading down to get a couple top D. ie. 1st OA to Mon for their 7th 25th and our own 2025 1sr

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I want PG to win it all.

They’ve really stabilized things as an organization, but it’s not an easy market to land players. I’ve been told that they’ve had drafts with a top 3-5 pick and they’ve had to take the 20th guy on their list because the first 19 wouldn’t play for them. Combination of the org and the market. It’s nice to see them doing well. Getting Heidt to play for them was huge.

I have a soft spot for PG. I worked a project there for about 6 weeks. Hotels were over-priced and under-serviced. I rolled into one place and the old codger said, "get lost, we don't like long-haired hippies". I said, "aww, that's too bad, I'll lend you some hair". Well, then we got on famously. He gave each of the 3 of us one bedroom kitchenettes for $25/nt all in. It was a place called The Slumber Lodge and wasn't a dive. We'd get in from work and he and the wife would be doing gardening or whatever repairs so we'd jump in. When I told him we were checking out in a couple of days and have a coupla weeks in Kamloops, he said, "ohh, go to the Slumber Lodge there, I'll let them know you're coming". It was quite a bit nicer. I felt embarrassed when she asked what rate he gave us. "$25/nt including taxes". She matched. I was shocked. Our places were like one bdrm apartments. Excellent mems from that job. We called it the Slumber Lodge Tour.

I'm more than okay with PG crushing it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

you'd think the Flames would scout the "O"... not saying they don't, nor have I done any research on the matter. Just seems they draft the "W" most of the time. 

I know a Flames scout that lives in Sarnia. lol

Absolutely he creates space, or more generally his speed and control create space.  Perhaps that’s why you seem to put such a premium on skating.

As for best in the world that’s debatable.  Surprised comment from you after you’d made such a stand for 200ft players, which Mcdavid is not.  He’s a unicorn speedster…

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I know a Flames scout that lives in Sarnia. lol

but do they listen to him, or all his picks already taken by the time the flames get up to bat? Guess we all just want them to draft better but it's not a great science with kids are drafted and not developed.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

but do they listen to him, or all his picks already taken by the time the flames get up to bat? Guess we all just want them to draft better but it's not a great science with kids are drafted and not developed.

He's the one that BT said, "would have punched me" if he didn't take Mangiapane. lol

I'll give him Andersson too, but nobody's afraid of getting punched by him. lol

• Haha 1