2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Just now, cberg said:

Exactly, you have to figure out which will be the best, not necessarily the best player available at the moment.  And since these are 17/18year olds and that is impossible, why you get so much disparity between people/scouts/teams.  Everybody assumes Celebrini IS the best, and WILL BE the best but we all know there are many “consensus” BPA players that flop.  

We'll all be on pins and needles for sure. I just really hope that we ignore the Q, as I always do. lol May Morin prove me wrong. lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Is he ranked near exactly alongside Iginla like Greentree? Yet on a far worse team with virtually nothing to help his stats?

he just signed a pro contract, way too early to make any conclusions

4 hours ago, cberg said:

The Calgary 1st group is your top players, or what you are assuming is left to choose from?  Who are you assuming is already gone at Flames pick?

Yes, it’s a list that’s a combination of who I think could be available and where the Flames will pick. Ultimately I think they pick in the 8-11 range.

41 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yes, it’s a list that’s a combination of who I think could be available and where the Flames will pick. Ultimately I think they pick in the 8-11 range.

I like the Pettersson with Van's pick. Oh the irony!

Elick and Misa are nice targets.

Decent call, well-thought-out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Francis has had a big bounce back in the echl this year 

Something about that last name gives me the creeps...although I loved Ron Francis.

*old joke time* Who is training their military to lie on their stomachs with their hands behind their heads while learning to speak German?

Francis.

booey...

Barring a lotto win Into the top 5, and fully ignoring who his dad is .. the more I see of Tij the more I think taking him in the top 10 isn't a reach.. none of the regular players I see consistently In the 6-10 range wow me as much as the potential he's showing 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Francis has had a big bounce back in the echl this year 

On a lark, I went back to a couple of threads about Wolf and Francis to see the discussion.  

What was most surprising was how far down the list Zary was by some.

And Pospisil wasn't even there.

BTW, how is Ortio doing these days?

Spolier alert, he's near the same age as Markstrom.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

On a lark, I went back to a couple of threads about Wolf and Francis to see the discussion.  

Pospisil was having injury issues to keep him off of the radar. But there's no way Zary and Pelts haven't been our top 2 prospects for a while now.

And I was just being light-hearted with jj. lol

What we seriously need is uninjured prospects. All of Kerins, Poirier, Pelletier and Honzek are missing/have missed critical development time. Jack Beck was another.

Just horrendous luck on that front.

I don’t follow a lot of Junior, so no idea really who to take in the draft so I won’t wade in too much here.

Currently the Flames have the 9th overall pick with 9 games to go. Closer to picking 5th than 14th points wise. They also have a late 1st from Vancouver.

From the discussion I have seen on here, and looking at Button’s standings (didn’t like him as GM but he is good at evaluating prospects), there are some interesting young players to hope for.

What do the Flames have on the roster or in the pipe that could be moved for another top 15 pick? Teams who might be interested (Islanders, Devils, Senators, Kraken, Canadiens).

I would think only possible players that could get a first on their own (likely not top 10) would be Weegar, Markstrom, Andersson, Wolf, maybe Zary. My thoughts would be to move Markstrom and Andersson (didn’t think I would say this one, if rebuilding…) but that is just me.

Without a Lotto win, having 2 or even 3 picks in the 8-14 range could add solid prospects for the near future. 2 or 3 of Lindström, Iginla, Yakemchuck, Silayev, Greentree and Jiricek would provide significant hope for a few years from now.

Could be interesting.

• Like 1

From past experience we know the Flames will go on a tear their last 9 games. Which will put us in the 12th - 14th pick. Hoping for a good D prospect at this range that would take a couple years to graduate to the pros. Timing would be good with a new arena and progress of the retool. Most likely the Van 1st will be a 28th to 30th pick. Hoping to get an overlooked C prospect could start in the A. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

From past experience we know the Flames will go on a tear their last 9 games. Which will put us in the 12th - 14th pick. Hoping for a good D prospect at this range that would take a couple years to graduate to the pros. Timing would be good with a new arena and progress of the retool. Most likely the Van 1st will be a 28th to 30th pick. Hoping to get an overlooked C prospect could start in the A. 

I'm still begging the Coilers to win the division. Anything that we can move up is helpful, even if it's only 1 spot. I have no skin in the game with either of those teams. Not even maybe. And don't care what their playoff matchups are, just get us the highest possible pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Pospisil was having injury issues to keep him off of the radar. But there's no way Zary and Pelts haven't been our top 2 prospects for a while now.

And I was just being light-hearted with jj. lol

What we seriously need is uninjured prospects. All of Kerins, Poirier, Pelletier and Honzek are missing/have missed critical development time. Jack Beck was another.

Just horrendous luck on that front.

We haven't had any activity in the Pospisil thread since the summer of '22.

Was a bit surprised by the initial call up after  6 AHL games this season, but anyway.

First game had that speed demon goal.

3 goals in his first 7 games.

He's had a rough road to the NHL with all the injuries.

Maybe that's what made him focus on all aspects not just being tough.

I think sometimes we cut bait a bit early on players.

Maybe rightly so, but sometimes it looks early.

Unfortunately, it sometimes means they go back into the draft.

That rarely works out.

With all that in mind, do you know of any picks that really have fallen down the list?

1st rounders looking like 2nds.

2nd rounders likely to go 3rd.

We have two 1st rounders this year and in other years a late first is gold.

The draft position for the 2nd will be 37-39 if we continue to lose.

So that would give us 3 picks in the top 40.  Nice.

With any luck Dallas doesn't win the division and then takes the conference.

But that loses the 3rd in 2026, which could be something.

At this point, live for today.

A bottom 10 2nd isn't a bad consolation.

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There's a lot to agree with here.  Tij climbing into the top 10.  Buium better than Levshunov.  Silayev outside of top 10.

Except Parekh too high... interesting to see Catton way down at 15.  But Catton doesn't wow.  He just gets points.

7 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Barring a lotto win Into the top 5, and fully ignoring who his dad is .. the more I see of Tij the more I think taking him in the top 10 isn't a reach.. none of the regular players I see consistently In the 6-10 range wow me as much as the potential he's showing 

Since we will be picking 12th overall, we won't get the chance and don't have to deal with the controversy of picking him vs not picking him. 

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Something about that last name gives me the creeps...although I loved Ron Francis.

*old joke time* Who is training their military to lie on their stomachs with their hands behind their heads while learning to speak German?

Francis.

booey...

thanks for taking this too far with me.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I really thought Zary was done.   But it wasn't a drafting rant.   I just didn't think he'd come back from that concussion.  Glad he did.

Jury's still out on Ortio, way to soon to make a call.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Since we will be picking 12th overall, we won't get the chance and don't have to deal with the controversy of picking him vs not picking him. 

It's most likely this.

But I still do my best to bring him up in every second post because I know some in here Really appreciate the added content.

45 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I really thought Zary was done.   But it wasn't a drafting rant.   I just didn't think he'd come back from that concussion.  Glad he did.

Jury's still out on Ortio, way to soon to make a call.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952tgpzb03k566eqoju7so

50 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It's most likely this.

But I still do my best to bring him up in every second post because I know some in here Really appreciate the added content.

After beating the Kings, we still have 5 "easy games" to go.  It's hard to finish the season 2-7 or something awesome in order to pick 6th overall.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

After beating the Kings, we still have 5 "easy games" to go.  It's hard to finish the season 2-7 or something awesome in order to pick 6th overall.

we did just lost to Buffalo, Washington, St. Louis and Chicago, half of those on the cusp of being in while the others aren't ... 

it is hard to predict whether we get in or not.

i might be starting to lean into Iginla now. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we did just lost to Buffalo, Washington, St. Louis and Chicago, half of those on the cusp of being in while the others aren't ... 

it is hard to predict whether we get in or not.

i might be starting to lean into Iginla now. 

Sure but both ANA and SJS are 1-8-1 in their last 10.  "Easy" to predict in that case.  4 wins right there.  No way we finish the season with only 2 or 3 more wins the rest of the way like we need.