2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Yeah I would be cautious on Parascak.  A good PG team with good linemates.   Has had a great rookie year though.   18 in May.  RW  Right hand shot.

Perhaps a 2nd round target?

With Cayden Lindstrom being injured I wonder if he drops down the draft?  Would be nice to get him at 14-16

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

why not go for Funk or Heidt? They going higher?

sounds a bit Mangiapane to me...

Funk is an overager. Actually played for the Hitmen for a bit. Washington signed him as a free agent. Heidt, somehow didn’t go until

the last pick of the 2nd round last year to MIN. He was ranked to go in the first by everyone but the NHL haha.

Mange is a fair comparison too. Parascak is a good player, but the Flames own pick may be too early. Craig Burton is high on him though, which means his brother probably is as well.

A team like Chicago makes the most sense for Parascak though. They have the TB first, I think his game would compliment Bedard really well. 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Funk is an overager. Actually played for the Hitmen for a bit. Washington signed him as a free agent. Heidt, somehow didn’t go until

the last pick of the 2nd round last year to MIN. He was ranked to go in the first by everyone but the NHL haha.

Mange is a fair comparison too. Parascak is a good player, but the Flames own pick may be too early. Craig Burton is high on him though, which means his brother probably is as well.

A team like Chicago makes the most sense for Parascak though. They have the TB first, I think his game would compliment Bedard really well. 

Sounds like we just took a gamble on Honzek. I dunno if we wanna do that again this year.

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Sounds like we just took a gamble on Honzek. I dunno if we wanna do that again this year.

I wasn’t high on Honzek at all last year. There were three or four players I personally liked better. Not that it matters.

Anyway, I’ve watched the Giants quite a bit this year. I’m left wanting more from Honzek. Actually really impressed with Jaden Lipinski though. He looks really good for a 4th round pick. He’s their 1st line C, where as Honzek typically plays on the 2nd line. Could also be a factor of spreading the wealth. The ceiling for Lipinski is likely bottom six, but the Flames should be happy with the progression.

At next years draft, we will get to see if the Flames learned anything from 2021. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, a WHL team with Flames prospects has a high-scoring, undersized RW that may get pushed to the second round of the draft. Cameron Schmidt, shades of Stankoven. Just turned 17, but as a 16, he has set the Giants rookie record for goal scoring. See if the Flames learned anything from Stankoven.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yeah I would be cautious on Parascak.  A good PG team with good linemates.   Has had a great rookie year though.   18 in May.  RW  Right hand shot.

Perhaps a 2nd round target?

With Cayden Lindstrom being injured I wonder if he drops down the draft?  Would be nice to get him at 14-16

It would be awesome to get Lindstrom. 

I think he goes top ten, just based on the tools he has. 

Medicine Hat has a really good team. Andrew Basha could be an option, late 1st/2nd. 

Just looked at Sportsnet and while good we have two first rounders and 6 in other rounds, kind of still disappointing we only have 8 for this draft. Although I haven't looked yet, maybe having more in the 2025 draft is better? 

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Just looked at Sportsnet and while good we have two first rounders and 6 in other rounds, kind of still disappointing we only have 8 for this draft. Although I haven't looked yet, maybe having more in the 2025 draft is better? 

8 of the 9 picks the Flames have are in the first 4 rounds. That’s really nice. It probably equates to 7 picks in the top 110ish

Mange and Kuzmenko will likely be dealt for 2025 picks. Sharangovich is the only pending UFA I think the Flames should have any interest in keeping.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

8 of the 9 picks the Flames have are in the first 4 rounds. That’s really nice. It probably equates to 7 picks in the top 110ish

Mange and Kuzmenko will likely be dealt for 2025 picks. Sharangovich is the only pending UFA I think the Flames should have any interest in keeping.

The Sportsnet one isn't counting one of them yet, thinking the knights pick that changes off they win a round.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think they would be smarter to keep Kuz and trade Bread.

Kuz has better balance and is smarter.

Mange is nothing without Backlund.

Mange has a better rep and would bring more in a trade, but not a 1st.

It may be smart to keep him until the TDL unless there is a good offer this summer.

I would do Markstrom + Mange for 1st, 2nd (WPG), Mercer and Holtz.

In a NY minute

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think they would be smarter to keep Kuz and trade Bread.

Kuz has better balance and is smarter.

Mange is nothing without Backlund.

Mange has a better rep and would bring more in a trade, but not a 1st.

It may be smart to keep him until the TDL unless there is a good offer this summer.

I would do Markstrom + Mange for 1st, 2nd (WPG), Mercer and Holtz.

In a NY minute

I think I would shop Mangiapane this summer. Eat salary if you have to. He had the good season two years ago. He’s really just a 15-18 goal scorer. Value isn’t all that high maybe a 3 and 5 with retention.

Kuzmenko I think you hold until next deadline 

3pts separate picks 8-15.

It sucks watching performances like this afternoon, but a few more of those would

be beneficial.

Pittsburgh is one team I could see shutting guys down. They keep their first if it’s top ten, eleventh and it goes to SJ. Few weeks away from that becoming an issue though 

20 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It would be awesome to get Lindstrom. 

I think he goes top ten, just based on the tools he has. 

Medicine Hat has a really good team. Andrew Basha could be an option, late 1st/2nd. 

Yes Tigers going to be a really good team next year with Mckenna and the Ruck twins.   I think they have outperformed this year and don't see them going past the 1st round of the playoffs.    I assume McKenna will make the jump to the NHL at 18 so next season will be big for them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

3pts separate picks 8-15.

It sucks watching performances like this afternoon, but a few more of those would

be beneficial.

Pittsburgh is one team I could see shutting guys down. They keep their first if it’s top ten, eleventh and it goes to SJ. Few weeks away from that becoming an issue though 

What's the talent gap between 8-15? 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What's the talent gap between 8-15? 

For me, you want a pick in the top 11.

That essentially guarantees the Flames fill a major need, C or D and in the top 11 if they elect for a winger, they're getting a very good one (Eiserman or Iginla).

12-15 you're still getting a good player, but if the Flames could pick no later than 11th, that's ideal. It also gives you a (slim) shot at the lotto.

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Consecutive beatdowns drop the Flames from 14th to 12th.

3 points separate 8th-13th. 

NJ and Buffalo are young teams, they feel like they'll finish ahead of Calgary. Pittsburgh is horrible right now.

I think we are likely to finish 8-10 worst.

I doubt we get passed by MTL because they have a tough schedule.

The rest are anyone's guess.

Tough schedules, but playing as the spoler.

Buffalo has Byram.

NJ has better goalies than they had, but only because one was injured.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think we are likely to finish 8-10 worst.

I doubt we get passed by MTL because they have a tough schedule.

The rest are anyone's guess.

Tough schedules, but playing as the spoler.

Buffalo has Byram.

NJ has better goalies than they had, but only because one was injured.

I'm still pissed about Markstrom as many are including him, but at the end of the day, we're still shaping up to get a really amazing pick with a strong supporting cast.

Still looks to me like Tij is the obvious choice and the obvious will be likely to happen.    I wish we had 3 of those picks becuase we have so many other needs, but we don't.

With the other firsts and picks, I hope we take Big swings.  No safety, go for guys with potential to shoot to the top.

I do hope, and quite frankly I expect it now, the Flames to get into the 8-10 range. outside the top 10 is not bad in this draft but I don't think it's as exciting. 

Yes the Iginla factor is cool but as a prospect it's not as exciting as some of the other names that should be going top 10. 

It is going to be really interesting to see where Demidov goes in the draft. How many teams are going to be scared off by the lack of viewings and games against peer talent? Michkov fell to 7th last year, not all because of the Russian factor, he also is under contract till 2026. Demidov is under contract till 2025. 

We also have Denis Grebeshkov scouting in Russia, wonder how that will impact this draft for Calgary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

It is going to be really interesting to see where Demidov goes in the draft. How many teams are going to be scared off by the lack of viewings and games against peer talent? Michkov fell to 7th last year, not all because of the Russian factor, he also is under contract till 2026. Demidov is under contract till 2025. 

We also have Denis Grebeshkov scouting in Russia, wonder how that will impact this draft for Calgary. 

I'm guessing Russian kids would rather be drafted to the NHL and play in North America right away than drafted into the Russian army and sent to Ukraine.  But i'm just guessing.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If we don't draft Tij, then I hope we take a D in that range.  I hope for a D over Helenius, Catton, etc.  I hope we don't reach off the board.

100%.  If Tij is gone, there's some fantastic D which will drop to us.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Craig Button's latest rankings from 2 days ago,

GIKzqsZWoAAuXHh.jpg

We've already moved down to 12 and that could easily be 11 as tied with STL. We are only a point above Devils. Maybe we will be drafting @ 9.