Mikael Backlund

conundrumed

I'm sure he has 500 page past threads, but let's be current.

The dust is settling a bit soo.....

I've reclined back into a Backlund supporter after not exactly being his biggest supporter. I wanted him traded last deadline.

How is everyone feeling?

I feel like we're the media-vulture kids. JG and Tkachuk were last year. It's not a firesale, idiots.

We're not replacing Backlund within 2 years, so we maybe should keep him. I get the need to get younger but Backlund has more value staying with us.

I think he's too conservative and readable that he's shooting at my bellybutton for a whistle to get the guns out. But it's his discretion, he sees it better. 35 seconds into a shift vs 7.

My fave Backlund is the one taking penalties. He is my choice for captain all day when he's playing overtly aggressive. But he only does it during his wife ovulating maybe.

How's everyone feeling? We can't really replace what he brings, he's a very smart player.

Leaving it all on the ice is my biggest complaint. He seems disengaged when he isn't taking the odd penalty, likely read the reffing as deeply as the opponents. Sad necessity.

Solid player, what should we do?

It comes down to the extension for me. I would be fine with 2yrs at up to 6. I'm not doing three years though.

Could get a really nice return though at the deadline. A 1st wouldn't surprise me. Nick Foligno went for one at a TDL. Two 2nd's or a 2 and 3 would be great too though.

Big picture, it's a tough call. By simply dealing Backlund, Zadorov and Tanev, it could get the Flames 5-6 top 100 picks. Talk about stocking the cupboards. I don't really wanna extend any of them either.

Think they play it out with Backlund and see where they're at my mid-season

30 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It comes down to the extension for me. I would be fine with 2yrs at up to 6. I'm not doing three years though.

Could get a really nice return though at the deadline. A 1st wouldn't surprise me. Nick Foligno went for one at a TDL. Two 2nd's or a 2 and 3 would be great too though.

Big picture, it's a tough call. By simply dealing Backlund, Zadorov and Tanev, it could get the Flames 5-6 top 100 picks. Talk about stocking the cupboards. I don't really wanna extend any of them either.

Think they play it out with Backlund and see where they're at my mid-season

Same. Glad it's not my call.lol I think that I can get behind either decision. Extending at $3per would be ideal, perhaps stays with the front office at the end in a scouting capacity or similar. We don't have enough ex-players hanging around so that would be a nice thing to change. The Wings are pretty heavily-reliant on it and the fans love having accessible ex-players talking about the team/prospects. Only now with Conroy is he trying to graduate players into team roles. I love the idea.

We've got Iggy and Savard back. Almost Tanguay. Love the concept that we can hear the thoughts from those 2 rather than the typical recycled staffs trained in hockey diaspora auto-responses. Need people that will tell Frances that he's always been a Sun reporter, in complete negative connotation.

It's been a hard summer of everyone treating us like a perennial yard-sale due to last year's misadventure. Time to get past the Calgary Clickbaits and "woe is me" crap that media wants to hang onto.

Backs wants a chance at a cup. I don't think offering him an extension will work. If we can show him we are a competitive team that has a chance then we can offer the extension and he will sign.

We will know how competitive we are come trade deadline. If we aren't that is when we will get the best returns.

Backs is loyal to us. One of our draft picks. He is one of the best defensive centers in the league. Again last year he had one of his best ever years. Captain? sure but not if he is leaving. He was my choice for Captain last year.... should have been.

I think Backlund will want at least 4.5m per at least in the first year after, especially if he is productive. He is more important than any player, other than Lindholm, based on what he provides. Weegar or Andersson would be close. Of  course Huberdeau as well, but I think Backlund provides something not a lot do. I might be overrating him right now. I just think he can insulate Lindholm a bit to allow Lindholm more offensive freedom.

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think Backlund will want at least 4.5m per at least in the first year after, especially if he is productive. He is more important than any player, other than Lindholm, based on what he provides. Weegar or Andersson would be close. Of  course Huberdeau as well, but I think Backlund provides something not a lot do. I might be overrating him right now. I just think he can insulate Lindholm a bit to allow Lindholm more offensive freedom.

I might agree with :

Lindholm
Huberdeau
Backlund

In that order, but only with respect to forwards.      Very hard to just weigh defencemen straight up against forwards but I would put at least Andersson head to head with Lindholm and Huberdeau in terms of value, and I would not be against placing him above them.    

There is really only one knock on Backlund, he is old as dirt.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Personally I put Backlund way behind a lot of other guys after last year he’s a gotta go player…not good for a team when you pout and say I want a trade cause you didn’t. Get the C…and to that point he’s not Captain material anyway…to Backlund I’d say don’t let the door hit you on your way out…

Just now, MP5029 said:

Personally I put Backlund way behind a lot of other guys after last year he’s a gotta go player…not good for a team when you pout and say I want a trade cause you didn’t. Get the C…and to that point he’s not Captain material anyway…to Backlund I’d say don’t let the door hit you on your way out…

and I'm separating the situation to the play, without him, the team is a lot worse defensively. I'm partially with you, but it has also been said that him wanting the C is only a rumour and he never actually asked, but to me that's not the issue. The issue IS that he wanted out and I'm with what Conroy said, that they should want players that want to play there. I'm ok with just letting him walk into the sunset on his contract and if we make the playoffs, keep him instead of trading and wasting draft picks on a player like him. 

but reality is, Lindholm can do what he does but it will be like Backlund 2.0 where we now sacrifice his offensive numbers for defending. 

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

and I'm separating the situation to the play, without him, the team is a lot worse defensively. I'm partially with you, but it has also been said that him wanting the C is only a rumour and he never actually asked, but to me that's not the issue. The issue IS that he wanted out and I'm with what Conroy said, that they should want players that want to play there. I'm ok with just letting him walk into the sunset on his contract and if we make the playoffs, keep him instead of trading and wasting draft picks on a player like him. 

but reality is, Lindholm can do what he does but it will be like Backlund 2.0 where we now sacrifice his offensive numbers for defending. 

I’m definitely not ok with letting him walk, but I’m of the opinion he’s not committed to Cgy not anymore…

is he a solid 3rd line Ctr, well I’d say absolutely, not as good as he was a few years ago but I’d say he’s still one of the best 3rd liners that you can stick in to 2nd line duty whenever it’s needed….

with that said, rumour is Nas is in on Hanifin and and the return is Fabbro and possibly Glass…which would be awesome if that is true and happens, we could definitely ship Backlund off cause Glass would be a solid 3rd liner who could eventually take over Kadri at 2nd line and Kadri could slide back to 3rd line where he will definitely be better suited in a few years.

• Like 1

My 2 cents worth.   I like Backlund as a Flame.

He's done his part for the team and we have gotten no farther ahead.

He averages 17+ minutes per game.

We don't have a similar player right now that can shut down the other team.

What we have is a player that given 17 minutes was close to a p/gp.

I don't think Ruzicka is anywhere near the level of Backlund for defense, but offense=ive numbers are there.

It comes down to what we can afford; a lower scoring threat that prevents goals or a higher scoring threat that needs work.

Tiugh call.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He's a great ambassador for the Flames but at the same time, he represents the old guard and if we are going to go a new direction, then Backlund needs to go.  If we are keeping this group and going for it, then make him Captain and sign him 2 more years.

I think I've acknowledged (finally) that the writing was on the wall that Conroy wants to roll the same team back unless he's wowed by a trade to get bigger/younger.

I didn't mind the Toffoli trade at all even if Toffoli puts up 30g this year. In the end we got younger and bigger with a player that hasn't peaked and a decent prospect from the 3rd rd with Suniev. I'm sure there is more backstory to trading him than we'll ever hear. Sutter's ex-LA guys are gone is likely the story. Those guys were acquired to appease Sutter I'd imagine.

I'm not really sure from NJ's side. Obviously a Tatar upgrade but I'm not positive it's much of an upgrade. Tatar's really good but struggles wit that "when he wants to be" thing.

Maybe he wanted a $6per contract or something. Really surprised he's still floating the UFA wire. He can be your best player tonight and your worst tomorrow,

More skill from Tatar, more snipe from Toffoli. Hischier makes it all the same, quickly getting right up there with Barkov as my fave centermen.

I will gladly move to Switzerland to scout.lol

Watching the Czechs become the dominant jr national teams and the Swiss gaining momentum is fun. Things are getting a little heady for Sweden and Finland over there.

The Swiss aren't losing 9-0 so much anymore. All eyes on Slovakia watching their neighbours become a factory of Dmen.

I enjoy streaming their mini-tournies some bored days. The Brooks Bandits just won the U20 Super Challenge in Sweden. How are they being such a perennial powerhouse? Good news, Brooks wants you. Bad news, it's in Brooks. You'll need oxygen bottles most days because putting a slaughterhouse on the EAST edge of town seemed like such a good idea at the time. Should we add one to the arena design in case it's something in the air?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good to hear. I'm glad we have him for the extra years as he will transition the team into the future. No one is ready to take over what he does and it's time to recognize it and honour him. It is full BS that we strung him a bit there and should have named him last year or once Gio left. 

he can have it and Weegar and Andersson will be next in line. But to me, I get you shouldn't have shouting matches, but it sounds like he was sticking up for the players last year in a very hard year. Sutter has his ways, but I think the world has transitioned into a society based on respect. While I get they need to be able to take criticism, and some feel they're snowflakes, I feel respect is a better way to go. 

and I didn't mind my coaches being a hard Hash Rate. 

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This deal sets Backlund up to be a lifetime Flame.

There’s a lot of value in that, if it works out that way. 

It rarely happens. Jarome didn’t do it, Gio didn’t. Heck, Tom Brady left the Patriots.

It’s so rare so that when it happens it needs to be celebrated.

Yes there is sentimental value for sure.  Good for optics.  We all would like a super star captain but Backlund is a good choice.

He also accepted a paycut from $5.3 to $4.5 which is not easy to do.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This deal sets Backlund up to be a lifetime Flame.

There’s a lot of value in that, if it works out that way. 

It rarely happens. Jarome didn’t do it, Gio didn’t. Heck, Tom Brady left the Patriots.

It’s so rare so that when it happens it needs to be celebrated.

I agree, I think its really an unfortunate part of this organizations history is that there really isn't a marquee player to play their entire career here.  I know the climate has changed with players switching teams more often, and Backlund's on ice impact with the Flames doesn't hold up against Lemieux and the other probable lifer HoFers like Crosby and Malkin to Pittsburgh, or Yzerman to Detroit, or even the Sedin's to Vancouver, it'd still be nice to see a quality player spend an entire career here.  On the ice he may only belong in the very good category, off the ice the man is elite.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes there is sentimental value for sure.  Good for optics.  We all would like a super star captain but Backlund is a good choice.

He also accepted a paycut from $5.3 to $4.5 which is not easy to do.

I also like that it buffers the team to develop or find his eventual replacement. It gives a Zary a few extra years, if he's that player.

46 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I also like that it buffers the team to develop or find his eventual replacement. It gives a Zary a few extra years, if he's that player.

I have often thought that the only way we would get a Backlund replacement is to trade for one.  You rarely find that type through drafting and such.  You can turn someone into it over time.  Maybe we do have someone like that already but I would think we should look to a Hanifin trade to get it.  Young guy that can be a scoring threat but also responsible.  The closest we have is Ruzicka and Dube, but I doubt we would be able to get Rosie there in 2 years or push Dube towards that.  I think you need someone over 6'2" to take that role.  But they have be good at draws.  Consistently.  

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have often thought that the only way we would get a Backlund replacement is to trade for one.  You rarely find that type through drafting and such.  You can turn someone into it over time.  Maybe we do have someone like that already but I would think we should look to a Hanifin trade to get it.  Young guy that can be a scoring threat but also responsible.  The closest we have is Ruzicka and Dube, but I doubt we would be able to get Rosie there in 2 years or push Dube towards that.  I think you need someone over 6'2" to take that role.  But they have be good at draws.  Consistently.  

we need to clone Dube and Rozie, and hope the clone gets Dube's compete and Rosie's size. 

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The closest to a D-first C is Ronni right now. I have faith in Kerins with 2 more years of development. Both will remain centers, just a question of developing to the pace/smarts of the NHL. One of the top 120 hockey centerman in the world isn't exactly an easy nut to crack. Heck, I wish that I was in the top 120 at something, anything, in my own community.

As I age like fine wine with a failing cork, I find it harder and harder to be overly-critical of any 18-30yo that can even come close to the NHL. When Ronni lands here and fans can actually see him on the regular, I think that they'll be very pleasantly surprised. If 3rd assists were a thing, he'd have many. He always seems to be the one getting the play moving out of his end when I saw him in Plymouth. Hopefully he can elevate his icetime with Tappara this year and we can get him here with very good tutors in Lindholm and Backlund. His main attributes are f/os and he's really good at all of defensively, passing and IQ. Not showing in pts is fooling everyone here I think. He led their u20 to a championship last year. Without question, he was their all-situations C. He's the opposite of the pts guy that you have to teach D.

Everyone now spouts about, "you have to create your O from D", so that will be in his sweet spot, the O will come. I'll be sailing the high seas to watch him this year. I quite like how he plays, if you can't tell.lol

We took him as a, "safe pick". He's still really safe.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...