2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

I thought maybe Jones would be the next forward up, but Schwindt is a guy who can play on the 4th line and play C/RW. 

With some of these guys coming up to RFA, you kind of want to see what we have in these young players.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I thought maybe Jones would be the next forward up, but Schwindt is a guy who can play on the 4th line and play C/RW. 

With some of these guys coming up to RFA, you kind of want to see what we have in these young players.

Cole is one of the longest lasting prospects at TC, so no doubt they saw something they liked.

I wasn't that impressed, but that was a long time ago.

#Flames projected tonight vs. St. Louis:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich
Zary-Kadri-Coronato
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Greer-Schwindt-Klapka

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Gilbert-Oesterle

Markstrom

Schwindt makes his NHL debut, taking out Ruzicka.

Honestly, I'm not sure what bad things Ruzicka does to warrant being sat so much.

Him and Markstrom are the only chnages to the lineup that lost to the Oilers.

And a hint, it was not the 4th line that got scored on.

4 and 52 out for two goals against, while Oesterle and Gilbert for one for one against.

10, 17 and 28 out for every goal against.

None of them out for the only goal.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

#Flames projected tonight vs. St. Louis:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich
Zary-Kadri-Coronato
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Greer-Schwindt-Klapka

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Gilbert-Oesterle

Markstrom

Schwindt makes his NHL debut, taking out Ruzicka.

Honestly, I'm not sure what bad things Ruzicka does to warrant being sat so much.

Him and Markstrom are the only chnages to the lineup that lost to the Oilers.

And a hint, it was not the 4th line that got scored on.

4 and 52 out for two goals against, while Oesterle and Gilbert for one for one against.

10, 17 and 28 out for every goal against.

None of them out for the only goal.

I would bump Coleman up switching Coronato to third line, I liked what I seen in Klapka so far, Oesterle is a disaster.  Hope Markstrom turns the heat on again as he has really been playing great.

I agree Ruzicka sitting out seems abit odd.

Go Flames.

7 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

I would bump Coleman up switching Coronato to third line, I liked what I seen in Klapka so far, Oesterle is a disaster.  Hope Markstrom turns the heat on again as he has really been playing great.

I agree Ruzicka sitting out seems abit odd.

Go Flames.

I considered moving Coleman up as well.  Of all the players on the team, the two most deadly are him and Sharky with Kadri at 3rd.  Coronato needs to learn a bit on both ends of the ice and get passes from C that don't put him in a bad situation.  I thought Coronato had a decent game, and he is capable of possession in tight.  They ran him into the boards a lot, so that's kinda what he has to get more used to.  If he is able to attack from the middle of the ice more, then I expect more quality shots.

I don't get the love for Oesterle.  I must be watching the wrong player, since I see very little that suggests he is a capable 3rd pair guy.  When you pair him with a relative rookie, then disaster will occur.

I think the issue with Ruzie is he is a top 6 player that doesn't do well on the 4th line.

He's had as many up as down games in the top 6 as Kadri or Huberdeau or Lindholm.

It's almost like we are getting used to a depth player like Ruzie being kept out until we trade Lindholm.  I doubt the coach would say that out loud, but I get that sense.  He usually says positive things about Ruzie's play.  He didn't do enough to get sat.

So, in the alternate universe where we have traded Lindholm and not added a C, here is the possible projected lines, also assuming Pop is out:

Huberdeau-Backlund-Sharky

Zary-Kadri-Coleman

Mangiapane-Ruzicka-Coronato

Greer-Schwindt-Klapka

With Pop back in, then this:

Zary-Kadri-Pospisil

Mangiapane-Ruzicka-Coleman

Greer-Schwindt-Coronato

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I considered moving Coleman up as well.  Of all the players on the team, the two most deadly are him and Sharky with Kadri at 3rd.  Coronato needs to learn a bit on both ends of the ice and get passes from C that don't put him in a bad situation.  I thought Coronato had a decent game, and he is capable of possession in tight.  They ran him into the boards a lot, so that's kinda what he has to get more used to.  If he is able to attack from the middle of the ice more, then I expect more quality shots.

I don't get the love for Oesterle.  I must be watching the wrong player, since I see very little that suggests he is a capable 3rd pair guy.  When you pair him with a relative rookie, then disaster will occur.

I think the issue with Ruzie is he is a top 6 player that doesn't do well on the 4th line.

He's had as many up as down games in the top 6 as Kadri or Huberdeau or Lindholm.

It's almost like we are getting used to a depth player like Ruzie being kept out until we trade Lindholm.  I doubt the coach would say that out loud, but I get that sense.  He usually says positive things about Ruzie's play.  He didn't do enough to get sat.

So, in the alternate universe where we have traded Lindholm and not added a C, here is the possible projected lines, also assuming Pop is out:

Zary-Kadri-Coleman

Mangiapane-Ruzicka-Coronato

Greer-Schwindt-Klapka

With Pop back in, then this:

Zary-Kadri-Pospisil

Mangiapane-Ruzicka-Coleman

Greer-Schwindt-Coronato

I feel like Ruzicka is the type of player that looks like he isn't trying when he plays. And if it looks like he isn't trying, then what is he doing away from the puck? 

It isn't that he isn't trying, probably, just that there are some players that look that way, which is why Top6 should be where he plays. And again, maybe if he's not getting points, he's not doing much else, or looks like he's not doing much else. One of those players who looks like they aren't breaking a sweat, but has a lot of natural ability. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I feel like Ruzicka is the type of player that looks like he isn't trying when he plays. And if it looks like he isn't trying, then what is he doing away from the puck? 

It isn't that he isn't trying, probably, just that there are some players that look that way, which is why Top6 should be where he plays. And again, maybe if he's not getting points, he's not doing much else, or looks like he's not doing much else. One of those players who looks like they aren't breaking a sweat, but has a lot of natural ability. 

I notice the subtle plays he makes.  He's a very smart player, just is a little soft on the passes.

IMHO his biggest fault is he doesn't shoot enough.

He has one of the better wrist shots on the team, but is never in a position to use it.

Perhaps that comes from C play, where being on the wing with Lindholm or Kadri means he gets them off.

Sounds like we could start spitballing ideas on where to pencil in Kylington.

Been practicing with the team and by all accounts has looked pretty good doing so.

Will be nice to get an elite skater like him in the lineup. In my mind he immediately takes Oesterle out of the lineup when he is ready to go.

Id play him on the 3rd pair with Gibby until he is back up to speed then maybe he can be run alongside Tanev again.

All in all, its truly a feel-good story for both him and the team in general as I know the rest of the boys are all stoked to see him back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

This is where I am. I just don't see the details you want to see in Ruzicka's game at this point in his career especially when he doesn't have the puck. I agree he is trying I just don't think he has very good details about his game so he gets on the wrong side of the play too often. 

I'm not surprised he keeps coming out because what does he give you? A good shot when he's going yes but outside of that he doesn't give you much. 

• Like 1

Ruzicka reminds me of Joe Colborne. Size and skill, but doesn’t use either often enough. No urgency in his game.

He might get more offensive opportunities once Lindholm is traded, because there will be a spot for a center in the top 6.

• Like 2

I think if the Flames can they are going to try and throw Ruzicka into a deal for some depth elsewhere. I doubt you can get anything for him on his own but I could see a team wanting the depth as a throw in. 

I don't think they see a future for him here and I get it. I don't think he is an NHLer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Ruzicka reminds me of Joe Colborne. Size and skill, but doesn’t use either often enough. No urgency in his game.

He might get more offensive opportunities once Lindholm is traded, because there will be a spot for a center in the top 6.

I feel that Ruzicka plays his best hockey in a Top 6 role and it does not necessarily have to be at C.

His best games with the Flames have been at LW and he showed that he can play well at RW at times during his time with Sarnia (OHL) and Stockton (AHL).

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Still can't figure out why Osterle appears to have fans in this organization. 

I won't be shocked if Ruzicka is claimed but I expect him to clear

So, they have Oesterle practicing with Kylington.  They must have decided that Oesterle is a keeper?  

I don't se it.  He has been aweful.  The final goal was mostly on his inability to defend.  I get all out

there were too loosey goosey allowing the neutral zone to be gained, but he was the line of defense.

Perhaps Ruzicka can go to a team that knows how to use him.  He hasn't done much since being demoted to the 4th line or healthy scratch.  TBH, I'm not seeing much talent on the 4th line this season.  Might as well waive him because you weren't going to get much on a trade with him.  Poor use of waivers though.  The guy least likely to provide upside is the guy they keep.  Could have waived him today and still used him tomorrow, if you are that desperate.

22 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Also Duehr recalled

They need to wait until the waiver period has ended to officially add Kylington to the roster.

That is, now that they recalled Duehr.

Seems like Ruzicka is the bad guy with this coach.

Duehr has done little to bump him, but I am not a great judge.

Ruzicka, since the hit in October, has not been the same.

I think he is playing shy.

You can look at his stats before and after to see it.

The final nail seems to have been the penalty he took.

I hope Rosie gets back what he lost, either here or elsewhere.

Duehr is not exactly an improvement.

MEP would have been my prefference.

23 hours ago, cross16 said:

Still can't figure out why Osterle appears to have fans in this organization. 

I won't be shocked if Ruzicka is claimed but I expect him to clear

Both gone.  Ruzicka to Arizona and DiSimone to NJ.

Really surprised DeSimone was claimed. Don’t really see an NHL player there. 

Not too upset about Ruzicka. I don’t think he’s a top six player and lacks the qualities it takes to be an effective bottom six forward. 

Hopefully it works out for both in their new destinations though.