Flames 2023 Development Camp

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

All of the details are in the link. Check out the first name for forwards. Clickbait for @Heartbreaker lol

Anyone going?

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-set-for-development-camp/c-334906438

Well, we release Beck only to invite him to Dev camp.

Guess he might get an AHL deal, which is smart if they do it.

Any names jump out at anyone?  Like the UFA's that JJ is always talking about?

Calgary Hitmen forward Oliver Tulk, Western Michigan forward Chad Hillebrand, Kelowna Rockets goalie Jari Kykkanen, Union College goalie Connor Murphy, U Alaska-Fairbanks goalie Matt Radomsky, Michigan Tech goalie Max Vayrynen are all undrafted plyrs who got invites

Didn't realize until seeing this that Tulk went un drafted. Small surprise there. 

Think he and McCoy are the 2 most intriguing names there. Wonder if McCoy might land himself a contract if he does well. He showed well in tracking data but isn't the best skater so went undrafted. 

Kykkanen is interesting and someone worth having on the radar. Big goalie who has flashed a bit throughout his career. Nice to see Sergeev there. 

Rest are probably camp filler. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Didn't realize until seeing this that Tulk went un drafted. Small surprise there. 

Think he and McCoy are the 2 most intriguing names there. Wonder if McCoy might land himself a contract if he does well. He showed well in tracking data but isn't the best skater so went undrafted. 

Kykkanen is interesting and someone worth having on the radar. Big goalie who has flashed a bit throughout his career. Nice to see Sergeev there. 

Rest are probably camp filler. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/whl/stats/2022-2023?position=d&prospects=u21

I like this year's camp roster better than previous camp rosters, with more legitimate PTOs.

On the other hand, this year's PTO class is ..  very..  very.. very strong.

I dunno why. Covid glut?

This roster is a big improvement over previous years and could result in some signings.  but I still don't fully understand why the Flames don't PTO a lot of the higher performers.  Anyway.... that aside I'm glad a few of these guys have potential.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/whl/stats/2022-2023?position=d&prospects=u21

I like this year's camp roster better than previous camp rosters, with more legitimate PTOs.

On the other hand, this year's PTO class is ..  very..  very.. very strong.

I dunno why. Covid glut?

This roster is a big improvement over previous years and could result in some signings.  but I still don't fully understand why the Flames don't PTO a lot of the higher performers.  Anyway.... that aside I'm glad a few of these guys have potential.

my onlythoughtso it would be those other ones would be at other camps on ptos

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Calgary Hitmen forward Oliver Tulk, Western Michigan forward Chad Hillebrand, Kelowna Rockets goalie Jari Kykkanen, Union College goalie Connor Murphy, U Alaska-Fairbanks goalie Matt Radomsky, Michigan Tech goalie Max Vayrynen are all undrafted plyrs who got invites

A lotta goalies in this list, their intentions are clear, which I like.  I don't totally get why they chose some players but the emphasis on net makes complete sense.

Assuming someone ends up in the Wranglers, it's gonna be pretty hard to beat out Matt Radomsky given his experience.  Pencil him in for a spot with the Wranglers.

But if one of those younger guys beats him...good on them.

What are people's thoughts about our first round picks in this development camp?

1.  Zary..  Where is he?  why is dat?

2.  Coronato..  

https://flameforthought.com/2023/07/07/flames-top-pick-showing-improvement-already-at-development-camp/

Looking good so far...what are the options for where he lands this year?

I would personally prefer to see him develop outside of the Flames lineup for one more year but obviously this is not set in stone, depends where he's at.

I'd like to see him in a first-line role, wherever that is.

3.   Honzek:   Thoughts?     

I have some thoughts that he could blow people away. Should this happen, I am hoping it does not turn into an NHL conversation.
                    I'd like to see him just crush it for a year in junior first.  then translate that over.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

2.  Coronato..  

https://flameforthought.com/2023/07/07/flames-top-pick-showing-improvement-already-at-development-camp/

I would personally prefer to see him develop outside of the Flames lineup for one more year but obviously this is not set in stone, depends where he's at.

Today Steinberg and Gilbertson were discussing that from the Doug Lacey's Basement Systems Downtown Studio™️, and they brought up some good points.

• The Flames have absolutely no depth on right wing, especially after having traded Tyler Toffoli
  • They are going to give him every opportunity to make the team out of camp
  • He brings an offensive punch that the Flames have severely lacked
  • It is an exciting proposition, but it's a lot of pressure to put on the kid

I don't know... it'll be interesting to see how he does in Penticton, and at the main camp. There's definitely a spot for him, but the general consensus for the last season is that he's at least a couple years away. Still, I think we'll see him.

Love.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Today Steinberg and Gilbertson were discussing that from the Doug Lacey's Basement Systems Downtown Studio™️, and they brought up some good points.

• The Flames have absolutely no depth on right wing, especially after having traded Tyler Toffoli
  • They are going to give him every opportunity to make the team out of camp
  • He brings an offensive punch that the Flames have severely lacked
  • It is an exciting proposition, but it's a lot of pressure to put on the kid

I don't know... it'll be interesting to see how he does in Penticton, and at the main camp. There's definitely a spot for him, but the general consensus for the last season is that he's at least a couple years away. Still, I think we'll see him.

Love.

Sums it up pretty well, thank you.        I'm hoping he gets another year outside of the AHL to develop, but I also think chances are high that we'll see him.

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

2.  Coronato..  

3.   Honzek:   Thoughts?     

I have some thoughts that he could blow people away. Should this happen, I am hoping it does not turn into an NHL conversation.
                    I'd like to see him just crush it for a year in junior first.  then translate that over.

Coronato:  hard to see him not make the Flames out of camp considering he's the defacto #1 scoring RW in the organization right now.  His competition is Coleman, Duehr, and maybe Dube.  I really wish they don't force Huberdeau and Mangiapane to RW again.  Both under-performed when asked to switch wings.

My guess is Coronato not only makes the team but he's probably #1 line with Huberdeau - Lindholm to start.

Honzek:  agreed.  No rush.  He missed time this season due to injury so it would be nice to see him develop a full year healthy so he can get his confidence back.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Coronato:  hard to see him not make the Flames out of camp considering he's the defacto #1 scoring RW in the organization right now.  His competition is Coleman, Duehr, and maybe Dube.  I really wish they don't force Huberdeau and Mangiapane to RW again.  Both under-performed when asked to switch wings.

My guess is Coronato not only makes the team but he's probably #1 line with Huberdeau - Lindholm to start.

Honzek:  agreed.  No rush.  He missed time this season due to injury so it would be nice to see him develop a full year healthy so he can get his confidence back.

Yeah I am torn because I don't want them to rush Honzek but I am also hoping to see that top 10 draft pick in camp.

Hopefully he impresses but common sense prevails.

If Coronato could legitimately hold either of the top 2 limes then I think that would be fine. 

That's a huge if, though.  If other guys switch sides to take those 2 lines and he does a year in the AHL this would probably be a great way for him to develop.  We'll see soon.  I hope he doesn't do the 4th line thing.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Coronato is best suited for playing with Huberdeau, but I don't know he is ready for that kind of minutes.

Maybe 3rd line with whomever we will have as #3C.  Maybe that's where Pelletier belongs.

I'm thinking Govich belongs on 2, either side.

I was hoping youtube would have greater coverage. I was also hoping to go to Detroit's but sked said no.

I'm most interested in Ronni and Stromgren because I've watched them in league play and both look solid to me. Ronni in particular but I've seen more of him. I'm hoping that he can develop into a solid 2C. If anyone went, is he as fast as I think he is? He looks like a fantastic skater to me in most elements. I caught a fair bit of the U20 sarja semi's and finals.

I have no concerns with Coronato and Honzek. Coronato will make the team and I believe Honzek can earn a 9 game look. With both, there is a ton of talent to unload, so I'll just say that I have zero concern.

The 3rd that I wonder about is Rory Kerins. I saw him enough in jr to know that he is very highly skilled. The ECHL was playing time, I get it, but this is a huge year for him imho. I'm 90% sure that he'll do really well, but the 10% terrifies me.lol

I looked at OHL players in camps. No Jack Beck anywhere.