GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It comes down to injuries and Markstrom.  Does NJD get last year's Markstrom or the version from two years ago?  Sub .900%.  Dougie Hamilton LTIR yet again?  Sophomore slump from Luke Hughes?  Lost Toffoli and needs someone to step up to replace the goals.

I also don't see a bottom 10 team unless all these "what if's" happen and they rarely ALL happen.

And even then, for the 2026 unprotected pick to be significant, we need NJD to go back to back bombed seasons.  Most likely, it's a 20th-25th overall pick in either 2025 or 2026.

You've clearly forgotten that they have Timo Meier. If you think last year will be his new norm, well...

They have a solid team. They've added Pesce to pair with Hughes. Nemec is going to be a really solid NHLer.

Which Markstrom? The bonafide NHL one. Nothing like they had last year.

Harping about Markstrom and blaming him for all of our woes is no longer relevant. They definitely fixed their goaltending. They gave up a 1st. He was worth a 1st. Just not to Flames fans.

In the NHL, he's worth a 1st. That's why you have a GM that isn't giving him away. That's Markstrom's value in the NHL.

Which goalie can we blame this year and want to disintigrate them as assets, is the real question. lol

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Challenge accepted.  I will draft him in the regular season NHL draft, LOL.

Even though the goaltenders are both older and have rocky season behind them, they are way better than what they had last year.  Goals against was their biggest problem.  That tends to be a team stat, but starts from the net.  

I mean I'm not saying I know this for sure.   I'm just saying there's a real chance.

I'd be up for a 1-week profile pic wager

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You've clearly forgotten that they have Timo Meier. If you think last year will be his new norm, well...

They have a solid team. They've added Pesce to pair with Hughes. Nemec is going to be a really solid NHLer.

Harping about Markstrom and blaming him for all of our woes is no longer relevant. They definitely fixed their goaltending. They gave up a 1st. He was worth a 1st. Just not to Flames fans.

In the NHL, he's worth a 1st. That's why you have a GM that isn't giving him away. That's Markstrom's value in the NHL.

Which goalie can we blame this year and want to disintigrate them as assets, is the real question. lol

This is not actually accurate, particularly I’m talking about blaming the goalie…last year Markstrom was credited for the whole reason we were not a top 5 draft team…as for wolf most fans seem to be expecting an adjustment season…maybe two or three, give the fact that not only wolf needs to grow and adjust  to the NHL as dose a larger part of the team,

particularly given the fact that they needs to figure out and then establish who’s the new core gonna be over the next number of years…

honestly I hope they don’t play terrible well and give owner and management a false sense of security much like the Monahan/Gaudreau/Lindholm/ Tachuck/Hanifin era…

what I think most fans are hoping and expecting is a slow gradual year over year improvement both in terms of individual players and the team as a whole…

as for fans being critical I think that’s not gonna happen outside of some of the 30+ vets and fans calling for them to be traded for more youth and picks…that’s where the team is at, but I hope the team dose slowly phase out the vets vs a big fire sale as Kadri and Weegar in particular will be key mentors to

the young guys and will greatly expedite the development process, otherwise your gonna add a few extra years to the development and could be endanger of having an Oiler rebuild over a few decades vice a 3-6 years maybe less but  probably 3 years at least.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

When Markstrom had a stacked D two years ago, he crapped his pants.  But again, most likely he is at least half decent and that's good enough to get NJD into the playoffs.

Meier was average.  You overrated him and took him too early in the hockey pool.  He's not a great fit.

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I mean I'm not saying I know this for sure.   I'm just saying there's a real chance.

I'd be up for a 1-week profile pic wager

I was talking about a couple of things.

Do you mean Dougie not being top 5 in the league in scoring?

Or that the Debbies won't be 23-32rd in standings?

What kind of profile pic wager are you talking about?

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

When Markstrom had a stacked D two years ago, he crapped his pants.  But again, most likely he is at least half decent and that's good enough to get NJD into the playoffs.

Meier was average.  You overrated him and took him too early in the hockey pool.  He's not a great fit.

Thats assuming you think Calgary's D was stacked then. I call them average, or very good, I wouldny say stacked. They were good, but sometimes just ok. And it's a team game and the team didn't play a good game, and made them, I think, overrated, which was why I wanted to rebuild then.

Andersson is a 2/3, as is Hanifin. Kylington is a 5 but with Tanev was a 4. Tanev is a great 4 who makes 5/6's look like 4's. I wouldn't say stacked, and the fact Hanifin is a quality 3/4 prone to brainfarts, means we were hardly ever stacked. It's an illusion you bought into? Colorado and Edmonton cracked the code - speed killed them, and made that D core look like it was standing still. 

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You mean 22/23?

He's had up and down years.

20/21 was a tale of two Markstroms.

Marky-1 was the team MVP and was headed to a gerat year.

Marky-1a raced out to play a puck and got a knee in the head for his troubles.

Marky-2 was nowhere the same goalie.

21/22 was the year of the 9 shutouts.

22/23 was a down year but we still had Lucic and it was the first year of Weegar and Huberdeau.

And we were 2 points out of 8th in the West.

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Thats assuming you think Calgary's D was stacked then. I call them average, or very good, I wouldny say stacked. They were good, but sometimes just ok. And it's a team game and the team didn't play a good game, and made them, I think, overrated, which was why I wanted to rebuild then.

Andersson is a 2/3, as is Hanifin. Kylington is a 5 but with Tanev was a 4. Tanev is a great 4 who makes 5/6's look like 4's. I wouldn't say stacked, and the fact Hanifin is a quality 3/4 prone to brainfarts, means we were hardly ever stacked. It's an illusion you bought into? Colorado and Edmonton cracked the code - speed killed them, and made that D core look like it was standing still. 

I looked up the stats for that year; 2022-23.  No Kylington, but we had Weegar, Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev, and Zadorov.  The wild card was Stone or Mackay or DeSimone or or.  Your individual ratings are a bit harsh for what they were at the time.  We never had a true #1, but Tanev was easily a top 2 in the league.  Not the high scoring "studs" like Douche-bomb was.  Kylington was a 4 on a ton of teams, and his defensive gaffs were the reason he never got higher.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You've got to be kidding me. Tell me about this stacked D of which you speak.

While everyone was all starry-eyed that we had the best 1st line ever, I can easily argue Markstrom was the MVP of that team. He took them as far as he could, and then it's all his fault.

Tough gig.

43 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I apologize to the entire Meier family that my enjoyment of having Timo Meier high on my hockey pool list has negatively influenced his abilities as a hockey player.

It was never my intention.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I was talking about a couple of things.

Do you mean Dougie not being top 5 in the league in scoring?

Or that the Debbies won't be 23-32rd in standings?

What kind of profile pic wager are you talking about?

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not aimed at me, but I'd be interested. What are the guidelines?

i was referring to the Debbies, however I'd take either of those.

Winner gets to choose the loser's profile pic for 1 week after winner is mathematically verified.

Profile pic must be within forum guidelines of course.

If I won I'd most likely ask them to go with a Joni Ortio profile pic for a week, as an example.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Going by memory.  Cross did a good job of the conditions but it's so far back I can't find it.

If our pick is top 10 and FLA is top 10 it gets ugly.

Yes then it will only be the 1 OA that will save us to keep CGY own pick. If not we will have 4 1st in 2026... 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I looked up the stats for that year; 2022-23.  No Kylington, but we had Weegar, Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev, and Zadorov.  The wild card was Stone or Mackay or DeSimone or or.  Your individual ratings are a bit harsh for what they were at the time.  We never had a true #1, but Tanev was easily a top 2 in the league.  Not the high scoring "studs" like Douche-bomb was.  Kylington was a 4 on a ton of teams, and his defensive gaffs were the reason he never got higher.

probably somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't say stacked though. Very good average D. I don't think team D has been their strong points when other teams turned it on. That year was a bit distracted by the whole Sutter thing and one of the new toys deciding a poop comment wasn't cutting it and checked out early. 

even last year we had those players to start the year/ 

Zadorov and Hanifin asked for a trade, then Tanev didn't get the extension he wanted and so on... 

that team, while the D should have been better, was not good up front and team D hindered the back end. There wasn't enough scoring to win games. Is really what I should have said...

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

probably somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't say stacked though. Very good average D. I don't think team D has been their strong points when other teams turned it on. That year was a bit distracted by the whole Sutter thing and one of the new toys deciding a poop comment wasn't cutting it and checked out early. 

even last year we had those players to start the year/ 

Zadorov and Hanifin asked for a trade, then Tanev didn't get the extension he wanted and so on... 

that team, while the D should have been better, was not good up front and team D hindered the back end. There wasn't enough scoring to win games. Is really what I should have said...

The popular narrative was that the goalies sucked.  However, if you look at so called HD chances, Marky was tops.  I never got the Vladar hate, and maybe it's well founded, but I saw struggles from him more on the quote easy shots.  Markstrom struggled sometimes with the low, far post from the winf shot.  Vladar was similar.  A lot of that was from blown assignments and odd man rushes.

The D struggled somewhat last year adjusting to zone defense.  Teams that know how to expose the holes can exploit that.  Adding to that, we had a new #1C and a 4C that was not consistent (honestly, can't remember who was there prior to Rooney).  For sure we lack a true #1D, but teams rareky have one that plays the position well in all circumstances.  Douche-bomb is an example of what they call a 1D that only knows one side of the game.  Ekholm is the only reason he is able to play like a forward.  TO doesn't have one.  VAN has Hughes but he struggles a bit after losing Tanev.  Makar is solid but is pretty rare.  I think there may be like 5 actual 1D out there.  But they are in a pairing that is tops, so it's really hard to tell.  

8 hours ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

Yes then it will only be the 1 OA that will save us to keep CGY own pick. If not we will have 4 1st in 2026... 

And we have to give up a pick on top of the unprotected 1st in 2026.  Yikes.

Losing a 2-10 pick would be really bad too, but that only happens if FLA is also top 10.

I am banking on FLA being 11-32.  Then it doesn't matter what ours is.

If we get to TDL and the Flames are close to worst in the league with FLA similar, then I am thinking we need to trade some good players to FLA.  Get them out of top 10.  LOL

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Winner gets to choose the loser's profile pic for 1 week after winner is mathematically verified.

If I won I'd most likely ask them to go with a Joni Ortio profile pic for a week, as an example.

Speaking for myself, I would do the Debbies bet.  If Conumdrumed does the same bet, you would need to do a week with his hoice and a week with mine.  Let me see, what could I do.....A pic of Francis in a Flames jersey at the draft (too rare)?  Dunno.  It will come to me.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

So is your bet that they'll be a bottom 10 team?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Speaking for myself, I would do the Debbies bet.  If Conumdrumed does the same bet, you would need to do a week with his hoice and a week with mine.  Let me see, what could I do.....A pic of Francis in a Flames jersey at the draft (too rare)?  Dunno.  It will come to me.

Clearly you're overlooking Brad Treliving. lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Right. From the same people that were giving up picks to get rid of him a year ago. Does that sound accurate?

Ok if you want to snip only 3-5 words from the entire post, you can make anything fit your agenda…

I never warned markstom, yes i absolutely wanted to trade him a few years ago and happy we did, 100% 

now don’t cut this off…he’s too old for where the team Is now, it’s time to get the best value you can…if he had a Satoshi Nakamoto season I’d be inclined to keep him but he had a good season no need in risking a poor return move him and I’d say if the deal is right anyone over 30 must be a good asset chip…having said that, no we shouldn’t move the remaking vets unless the return is really good, need some veteran to tech the younger guys but having said that, vets are a dime a doze in UFA so it’s not crucial to keep them is the offer is really good…

You need to get on board this is a rebuild no matter how you cut it, unfortunately it was forced by the core players who could see what most of us games have been seeing, Cgy’s win window  was slowly dying so they opted out to take a crack at winning elsewhere.  The only ones that couldn’t or refused to see that were owners and sentimental fans…this is a business and smart needs up to date equipment, personal and knowledge…in hockey the players are the equivalent of the equipment for the team they are the asset being sold, they get paid to be that so it is what it is…and that being said if you have a core group that can’t regularly contend then it’s time to either change on the fly or build anew…we are well past on the fly up grades and well into a rebuilding of a new core the vests will not be here when it’s time to compete so why cheat them of a chance to compete now, devalue their return…makes no sense…this I’m positive is the logic behind why Markstrom was moved and why many of us wanted him moved.

now as for the main point In my initial post was that the current group is young and we as fans expect some Development time no just the goalies but the young guys as a whole, currently we have no real idea who the core is gonna be outside of maybe sharky who may be looked at as a veteran player by the time this core forms 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don’t think his bet is rather hope is..higher draft pick higher chance at a franchise player simple enough 

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sure let's do it, you're both on.

It's not something I would bet money on lol but I think it's very doable and it would be a lot of fun to see that draft pick go unprotected.

• Like 1