GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

So....

How does that work...if NJ discovers that goaltending was only a part of their problem and the other part was that they don't play defence....  and they go top 10 yet again....

then what happens at that point?

the Fan's Flames Talk goalie insider that does analysis through actual study of goaltenders has the data to show the way Jersey plays defense plays into Markstrom's strengths, and broke down how that works, from Markstrom's times in Vancouver and Calgary, that the times the Flames or the Canucks went away from the D structure that plays to his strengths, he struggles. When the Flames play to his strengths he is elite. A part of that is the kinds of shots he faces, where they're from and all that, which the guy pointed out, Jersey is the perfect system for him. He said it will take the first bit of games for Markstrom to learn the tendencies of the D to get chemistry, but the system should work to his strengths. Meaning the spots shooters scored from on Jersey are spots Markstrom was very strong and made high percentages of saves, is what I got from the guy.

i can't say exactly what he said, might have to go through some Flames Talk podcasts and take a look from over a month ago to find it? But it might be there...

I think Jersey will be a playoff team next year.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

the Fan's Flames Talk goalie insider that does analysis through actual study of goaltenders has the data to show the way Jersey plays defense plays into Markstrom's strengths, and broke down how that works, from Markstrom's times in Vancouver and Calgary, that the times the Flames or the Canucks went away from the D structure that plays to his strengths, he struggles. When the Flames play to his strengths he is elite. A part of that is the kinds of shots he faces, where they're from and all that, which the guy pointed out, Jersey is the perfect system for him. He said it will take the first bit of games for Markstrom to learn the tendencies of the D to get chemistry, but the system should work to his strengths. Meaning the spots shooters scored from on Jersey are spots Markstrom was very strong and made high percentages of saves, is what I got from the guy.

i can't say exactly what he said, might have to go through some Flames Talk podcasts and take a look from over a month ago to find it? But it might be there...

I think Jersey will be a playoff team next year.

Markstrom is a good goalie.  It really comes down to his age and if he begins to regress next year or the year after.

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

So....

How does that work...if NJ discovers that goaltending was only a part of their problem and the other part was that they don't play defence....  and they go top 10 yet again....

then what happens at that point?

I see the point with NJ. And yes there is a chance that they will end up in the back of the pack again. 
Misa is draft eligible in 2025 according to me. And the top 10 protection would then mean they can draft him. or my English is not so good that I don't understand your question / comment correctly. 
Misa would be a good pick for the Flames, but if the season goes as many expect, a "better" talent might still be within the realm of possibility. 
Or, and there's a lot of positive optimism in this statement, the young guys perform like nobody expects and we're somewhere in the play off race until the end. I just don't know if that's such a great thing for the future of the club. 

6 hours ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

I see the point with NJ. And yes there is a chance that they will end up in the back of the pack again. 
Misa is draft eligible in 2025 according to me. And the top 10 protection would then mean they can draft him. or my English is not so good that I don't understand your question / comment correctly. 
Misa would be a good pick for the Flames, but if the season goes as many expect, a "better" talent might still be within the realm of possibility. 
Or, and there's a lot of positive optimism in this statement, the young guys perform like nobody expects and we're somewhere in the play off race until the end. I just don't know if that's such a great thing for the future of the club. 

ah yeah I read about it afterwards, so the Flames would get the 2026 pick, but that time it would be unprotected (if I understand correctly).   I am actually fine with that outcome, 2026 is an incredible draft year.   An unprotected pick from a bottom dweller in the year of Gavin McKenna?    That outcome is fine by me.

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

ah yeah I read about it afterwards, so the Flames would get the 2026 pick, but that time it would be unprotected (if I understand correctly).   I am actually fine with that outcome, 2026 is an incredible draft year.   An unprotected pick from a bottom dweller in the year of Gavin McKenna?    That outcome is fine by me.

So that would equal 3 unprotected 1st rounders including our own in 2026.

This year, at best we get 2 picks, assuming FLA is outside the top 10.

Scenario 1

Calgary drafts 1-10

FLA is later than 10

NJ is later than 10

Result - FLA pick goes to MTL

Scenario 2

Calgary drafts 1-10

FLA is later than 10

NJ is top 10

Result - FLA pick goes to MTL, NJ goes to 2026

Scenario 3

Calgary drafts 1

FLA is top 10

NJ is later than 10

Result - No pick goes to MTL, defaults to 2026 unprotected, they get an extra picks from us.  FLA is unprotected 2026.

Scenario 4

Calgary drafts 2-32

FLA is top 10

NJ is top 10

Result - CGY goes to MTL.  2026 becomes a big year for us:

- CGY 1st

- FLA 1st unproteced

- Vegas 1st unprotected

- NJ 1st unprotected

I will admit that these scenarios are based on my last viewing of Capfriendly (an old friend).  How crazy would 4 picks in 2026 be?  The only way that happens is that we have zero picks in 2025.  That would suck.  Again, I wouldn't bet $1000 on that understanding, just whay I think I remember.

30 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Stuff the 2026 lottery.

Someone speak with Gary.  New arena/stadium needs a new star.

Can we just have Gavin McKenna now please!

It's just wild that kid is still 2 drafts away. Must cost his folks a mint in the meantime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's just wild that kid is still 2 drafts away. Must cost his folks a mint in the meantime.

If I could have one wish for my Flames fandom, right now, it's that they win the 2026 lottery.

Maaaaan that would be sweet

• Like 1

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Scenario 1

Calgary drafts 1-10

FLA is later than 10

NJ is later than 10

Scenario 2

Calgary drafts 1-10

FLA is later than 10

NJ is top 10

Scenario 3

Calgary drafts 1

FLA is top 10

NJ is later than 10

Result - No pick goes to MTL, defaults to 2026 unprotected, they get an extra picks from us.  FLA is unprotected 2026.

Scenario 4

Calgary drafts 2-32

FLA is top 10

NJ is top 10

- CGY 1st

- FLA 1st unproteced

- Vegas 1st unprotected

- NJ 1st unprotected

I will admit that these scenarios are based on my last viewing of Capfriendly (an old friend).  How crazy would 4 picks in 2026 be?  The only way that happens is that we have zero picks in 2025.  That would suck.  Again, I wouldn't bet $1000 on that understanding, just whay I think I remember.

I could see NJD finish with a top 10 pick again next year but it's going to take some bad luck with injuries again coupled with Markstrom failing to deliver.  But even then, this would have to repeat TWO years in a row for the 2026 unprotected pick to even mean anything significant.  They would have to finish with a top 10 pick in 2026 in order to have a legit shot at pick #1.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I could see NJD finish with a top 10 pick again next year but it's going to take some bad luck with injuries again coupled with Markstrom failing to deliver.  But even then, this would have to repeat TWO years in a row for the 2026 unprotected pick to even mean anything significant.  They would have to finish with a top 10 pick in 2026 in order to have a legit shot at pick #1.

i dunno,

Markstrom got us 9th overall, only difference i see here is he's gonna be a year older on a worse team.

Really, really amazing to me that Conroy was able to get a first for him, I am really impressed.   All of a sudden NJ's got guys wanting to leave and coach/GM firings and contract issues and boom, 2026.    Once you get down there it take some work to get out of it.  trading a 1st rounder for a geriatric goalie does not leave me with the impression that their organisation knows how to take that next step.

I'm not sure why people think NJ will be a bottom 10 team this season, I don't see that at all.

Injuries, maybe, but I see no other reason.

Hughes will learn that he can't go 1,000mph all of the time....won't he?

Really solid D-core, Brodeur cheerleading Markstrom, Hischier dragging them into battle, they should be highly competitive.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Scenario 1

Calgary drafts 1-10

FLA is later than 10

NJ is later than 10

Scenario 2

Calgary drafts 1-10

FLA is later than 10

NJ is top 10

Scenario 3

Calgary drafts 1

FLA is top 10

NJ is later than 10

Scenario 4

Calgary drafts 2-32

FLA is top 10

NJ is top 10

- CGY 1st

- FLA 1st unproteced

- Vegas 1st unprotected

- NJ 1st unprotected

I have a question on the conditions by our own 2025 1st Rd Pick. 

Ist there a Top 10 Protection on the Florida Pick that we could get or is it a lottery protection?

I'm note sure what the differrence is. but I look at tankaton all team 1-16 are in the lottery. 

But like everyone the condition on this pick are really confusing me 🙂

2 hours ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

I have a question on the conditions by our own 2025 1st Rd Pick. 

Ist there a Top 10 Protection on the Florida Pick that we could get or is it a lottery protection?

I'm note sure what the differrence is. but I look at tankaton all team 1-16 are in the lottery. 

But like everyone the condition on this pick are really confusing me 🙂

Lotto protection amounts to the same thing as top 10, since a lotto win moves you up by 10 spots.

Okay, so the FLA pick is protected against being a top 10 pick.  If they don't make the playoffs and their pick is inside the top 10, we get the 2026 pick unprotected.  If FLA is outside the top 10, then that pick is likely headed to Montreal, unless we are also outside the top 10.  MTL gets the better of the two.

I haven't found a site that does as well with picks and trade conditions.  Capfriendly was pretty good, even if the Monahan trade was beyond the normal set of conditions.  

Seems like all our trades have them attached and it makes it a waiting game on what we actually get or send.  With Conroy at least it's just waiting on what we get.  We are still waiting to pay for a BT trade.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lotto protection amounts to the same thing as top 10, since a lotto win moves you up by 10 spots.

Okay, so the FLA pick is protected against being a top 10 pick.  If they don't make the playoffs and their pick is inside the top 10, we get the 2026 pick unprotected.  If FLA is outside the top 10, then that pick is likely headed to Montreal, unless we are also outside the top 10.  MTL gets the better of the two.

I haven't found a site that does as well with picks and trade conditions.  Capfriendly was pretty good, even if the Monahan trade was beyond the normal set of conditions.  

Seems like all our trades have them attached and it makes it a waiting game on what we actually get or send.  With Conroy at least it's just waiting on what we get.  We are still waiting to pay for a BT trade.

the waiting part I am okay with, because often future-dated picks are cheaper to acquire.   now-things are expensive.   

I would be okay if we were always trading for picks 2-3 years out.   I mean, once they start coming through the pipe, who cares?  just keep them coming.

But the IF-AND-OR-ELSE stuff is just Super annoying lol

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not sure why people think NJ will be a bottom 10 team this season, I don't see that at all.

Really solid D-core, Brodeur cheerleading Markstrom, Hischier dragging them into battle, they should be highly competitive.

Put it this way:   

Markstrom will add zero.  May even be a negative, and Very hard for organisation to go back on now.

Do they have young potential?  Yeah.     But when I'm saying is....if they are a bottom-dweller this year too, there's a good chance it may become a pattern for future years.   The dreaded double-rebuild.   So...yes, I'm selfishly hoping for that.

Realistically, they should have been better even last year and yes, we've got reason to assume they will make a big jump this year.   100%.    But I don't see how Markstrom will be one of those reasons, it will have to be from their young core coming into their own.

And if they Don't come into their own, we get one extra Gaving McKenna lotto ticket.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Thx for the clarification 🙂 

10 minutes ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

Thx for the clarification 🙂 

Going by memory.  Cross did a good job of the conditions but it's so far back I can't find it.

If our pick is top 10 and FLA is top 10 it gets ugly.

42 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Put it this way:   

Markstrom will add zero.  May even be a negative, and Very hard for organisation to go back on now.

Do they have young potential?  Yeah.     But when I'm saying is....if they are a bottom-dweller this year too, there's a good chance it may become a pattern for future years.   The dreaded double-rebuild.   So...yes, I'm selfishly hoping for that.

Realistically, they should have been better even last year and yes, we've got reason to assume they will make a big jump this year.   100%.    But I don't see how Markstrom will be one of those reasons, it will have to be from their young core coming into their own.

And if they Don't come into their own, we get one extra Gaving McKenna lotto ticket.

So they had a season missing their top scoring D-man.

Dougie played 20 games.

McLeod was lost to the case, played 45.

And they had terrible goaltending for over half the season.

They were a mere 20 goals for back of the Rangers, but let in close to 60 more.

That was then.

At worst they are a bubble team.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So they had a season missing their top scoring D-man.

Dougie played 20 games.

McLeod was lost to the case, played 45.

And they had terrible goaltending for over half the season.

They were a mere 20 goals for back of the Rangers, but let in close to 60 more.

That was then.

At worst they are a bubble team.

If we assume that Dougie returns, and returns as strong as ever...

And we assume that their goaltending issues are solved,

then yes.

I'm not assuming either.

12 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

If we assume that Dougie returns, and returns as strong as ever...

And we assume that their goaltending issues are solved,

then yes.

I'm not assuming either.

Challenge accepted.  I will draft him in the regular season NHL draft, LOL.

Even though the goaltenders are both older and have rocky season behind them, they are way better than what they had last year.  Goals against was their biggest problem.  That tends to be a team stat, but starts from the net.  

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Challenge accepted.  I will draft him in the regular season NHL draft, LOL.

Even though the goaltenders are both older and have rocky season behind them, they are way better than what they had last year.  Goals against was their biggest problem.  That tends to be a team stat, but starts from the net.  

I kinda forgot they have Jake Allen backing up. That's pretty good. Vet goalies are great at communicating with their dmen. That'll be another positive. I've been feeling the last few seasons that Hischier is 2nd only to Barkov as a 200' center difference-maker. Everyone loves how shiny Hughes is, but Hischier's the workhorse. Just a great player, likely underrated a fair bit.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It comes down to injuries and Markstrom.  Does NJD get last year's Markstrom or the version from two years ago?  Sub .900%.  Dougie Hamilton LTIR yet again?  Sophomore slump from Luke Hughes?  Lost Toffoli and needs someone to step up to replace the goals.

I also don't see a bottom 10 team unless all these "what if's" happen and they rarely ALL happen.

And even then, for the 2026 unprotected pick to be significant, we need NJD to go back to back bombed seasons.  Most likely, it's a 20th-25th overall pick in either 2025 or 2026.

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

i dunno,

Markstrom got us 9th overall, only difference i see here is he's gonna be a year older on a worse team.

Really, really amazing to me that Conroy was able to get a first for him, I am really impressed.   All of a sudden NJ's got guys wanting to leave and coach/GM firings and contract issues and boom, 2026.    Once you get down there it take some work to get out of it.  trading a 1st rounder for a geriatric goalie does not leave me with the impression that their organisation knows how to take that next step.

I mean, of course I hope NJD is bad and we get their unprotected 2026 pick.  It's just, many things have to go wrong all at the same time.  And yet, they have too much young studs to not keep improving.  Hughes brothers, Nemec, Mercer, etc.