Head Coach

Ken Wells

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I have to admit that I'm a little reticent about Conroy as GM if it leads to yet another country club. It's fair to make it fun, but there's a balance between creating a buddy environment and getting Satoshi Nakamoto done that getting Satoshi Nakamoto done will always prevail, especially when it doesn't.

Iginla, Conroy and Tanguay lived the old boys club and were likely largely responsible for it.

It is entirely the last thing we need.

We've run out of passes on that garbage.

Cut the bullSatoshi Nakamoto and be demanding. Most of all, lead by example.

Personally, I'm tired of this merry-go-round. It's old and boring.

Show us something. Make us believe.

We're tired of endless excuses for being arrogant rather than astute and kicking the Satoshi Nakamoto out of what you're supposed to be doing. Which is building a hard-Hash Rate hockey team.

At the very least, try to be honest and up front.

I don't really hold the players as accountable for the whole "country club" scene back in the day, the organization failed by not having enough internal competition due to horrible drafting and gave almost anyone who asked some trade protection. 

As far as Conroy goes lets not forget after the cup run the guy spoke of how much he loved the city, the team, his teammates and how he wanted to stay, but first day of UFA he signs in LA.  So this guy can make decisions based on his own best interests and isn't just in the business of pleasing others.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I don't really hold the players as accountable for the whole "country club" scene back in the day, the organization failed by not having enough internal competition due to horrible drafting and gave almost anyone who asked some trade protection. 

As far as Conroy goes lets not forget after the cup run the guy spoke of how much he loved the city, the team, his teammates and how he wanted to stay, but first day of UFA he signs in LA.  So this guy can make decisions based on his own best interests and isn't just in the business of pleasing others.

I kind of feel like it's the same problem now. While our drafting has improved, there still aren't enough young players to fill holes in specific spots, or the role player spots. I do agree that the team drafts better now.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I kind of feel like it's the same problem now. While our drafting has improved, there still aren't enough young players to fill holes in specific spots, or the role player spots. I do agree that the team drafts better now.

With the lose of BT do you still fell our draft choices will be any better

Just now, zima said:

With the lose of BT do you still fell our draft choices will be any better

it depends on how much stock Conroy places in the scouting department. If he doesn't defer to them, then it's a definite step backwards. 

but I'll wait until a few years after the draft. I tend to take the word of the panel as gospel, so we know that is all their ideas and not actually how hindsight will play out.

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it depends on how much stock Conroy places in the scouting department. If he doesn't defer to them, then it's a definite step backwards. 

but I'll wait until a few years after the draft. I tend to take the word of the panel as gospel, so we know that is all their ideas and not actually how hindsight will play out.

GMs generally have lots of say in the 1st round pick (because it's usually easiest and most obvious).  It's when the draft goes into round 2 and beyond that the separation from one kid to the next is almost zero that scouts take over.

I’m curious with how Huska fills out the rest of his staff.

Like with Nonis, I wonder if the Flames bring in a more experienced guy as an associate coach. Maybe they look at a finalist from the process. Someone like Travis Green. Reirden is already an associate so not likely an option. I don’t see Muller coming back. It seems like he had options.

Then there’s Mitch Love. There’s not likely to be a heading coaching job for him in the NHL this year. How does he feel about being passed over? Does he stay with the organization or look for a job elsewhere? If he stays, would he rather be an assistant in the NHL or head coach in the AHL.

I think they’ll add an offensive minded AC. Huska may not be necessarily a defensive coach,  but it’s been his role in his time as an NHL coach. If they want Tanguay, it would have to be an associate role. If Savard wants to coach in pro he could be an assistant candidate.

Then I would look at the goalie coach. That position was a major weakness last year. Have to at least explore the idea of making a change with that coaching position.

I keep hearing Huska. So what massive revelation, game structure, and knowledge does he bring forth that makes him the best option to win a cup? Oh, he's a nice guy, hmmm you know what they say about nice guys? This is a safe hire IMHO, but if this is Conroy's first order of business, his crystal ball is better than most. I just don't see Huska as a driving force to move the needle, I could have seen Love get the chance. There is NO ONE from inside that coach's room that should have stayed after Sutter left. So we now have a coach that has won NOTHING to lead a bunch of guys that BTCed and moaned about the last guy, this just seems like another country club hires for the soft boys club, WELCOME TO CGY, the organization that exemplifies the term mediocrity 

If Huska was led to believe that Assistant Coach was the next step advancement from our AHL coach in the path to NHL coach then the choice is obvious.

Give him the Head coach and use him as example to Love that this is the process so give Love an Assistant Coach position.

Ryan Huska reportedly to be named head coach of Flames on Monday

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

There is NO ONE from inside that coach's room that should have stayed after Sutter left.

Pretty much.  But then again, management believes we are a few pieces away.  Why make big changes?  Just run it back... and that includes the coaching staff.  Muller will go but Huska promoted.  Probably Love has agreed to become an associate/assistant.  It's going to feel like a two head coach situation.  Goaltending coaches who should all be fired will stay as well.

It's going to be doing the same thing expecting different results.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty much.  But then again, management believes we are a few pieces away.  Why make big changes?  Just run it back... and that includes the coaching staff.  Muller will go but Huska promoted.  Probably Love has agreed to become an associate/assistant.  It's going to feel like a two head coach situation.  Goaltending coaches who should all be fired will stay as well.

It's going to be doing the same thing expecting different results.

I hate the thinking behind that insanity catchphrase and thought... "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results."

Truth is Einstein never said it and it can only be traced back to some old book.

0d81624d92bad7ad5143aefa32b3fda0.png

If you look at most sports and world class athletes you will find that it takes 10,000 + hours training of doing the same things over and over again to become world class at your sport or discipline.

Just a point about the coaches..

Most of our coaches were inherited by Hartley. Only the odd modification has been allowed since then. Don't most teams allow most coaches to choose who they want to work with? Not us for the most part.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

I hate the thinking behind that insanity catchphrase and thought... "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results."

Truth is Einstein never said it and it can only be traced back to some old book.

0d81624d92bad7ad5143aefa32b3fda0.png

If you look at most sports and world class athletes you will find that it takes 10,000 + hours training of doing the same things over and over again to become world class at your sport or discipline.

Just a point about the coaches..

Most of our coaches were inherited by Hartley. Only the odd modification has been allowed since then. Don't most teams allow most coaches to choose who they want to work with? Not us for the most part.

Not really no. Usually head coaches get to pick at least 1, maybe both, bench assistants but outside of that it's usually a collective effort. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Appears to be happening

It's sort of like the girl in that song... I "was underwhelmed if that's a word. I know it's not 'cause I looked it up. It's one of those skills that I learned in my school."

That said, there are some pretty smart hockey people who have a lot more information that I do behind this decision. I trust they know better than me. Still, of the internal candidates, I would have gone with Mitch Love.

Love.

• Like 1

Looks like it's only head coach according to Pike. 

Feel like there are going to be some story lines coming out of this decision and process. Has not been your typical clean hire from what I understand and see (from reading between the lines)

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This could go down as Conroy's first hard decision of his tenure. 

I think he may have had to pick between Love and Huska

Sure sounds like Love is going to end up elsewhere. They had to choose between two very good, but unproven coaches. Can’t promote Love ahead of Huska and expect Huska to stick around, it is tough to have Love as an assistant with a first time head coach.

Either way they would have lost a very good coach. Conroy had to go with the coach he trusted. Has a longer history with Huska.

I don't think either of Love or Huska was the best available out there but they were the most affordable and budget friendly.  Over time, Love got overhyped in my opinion.  I feel Huska is better if I had to choose.  Only problem is, Huska was in the room and couldn't get the likes of Huberdeau and Kadri to buy-in under Sutter.  Why would his voice matter now?

I think the true judge of this coaching hire lays on the reaction of Lindholm and Backlund.  If those two do a 180 and say they want to stay in Calgary long term, then this was a good hire.  Somehow, I get the feeling they wanted bigger changes than just firing Sutter and promoting the assistant.  We shall see.

If Lindholm gets traded, then we know how the rest of the room feels about this hire.

Obviously I would have preferred Love and I really question if Huska has what it takes to be a good head coach. I think alot of this was driven by budget and I think the budget was small on this one which is why you weren't going to see a bigger name. I have my reservations Huska can be good and for me this is going to hinge on what Love does from here. Did Conroy pick the right guy. 

But at the end of the day Huska is very loyal to this organization, is a good coach, a good person and I can always get behind hires like that so i'll be rooting for him. 

His PP/offensive coach is going to be a VERY key hire for him and likely will dictate whether this blows up, or is at least moderately successful

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think either of Love or Huska was the best available out there but they were the most affordable and budget friendly.  Over time, Love got overhyped in my opinion.  I feel Huska is better if I had to choose.  Only problem is, Huska was in the room and couldn't get the likes of Huberdeau and Kadri to buy-in under Sutter.  Why would his voice matter now?

I think the true judge of this coaching hire lays on the reaction of Lindholm and Backlund.  If those two do a 180 and say they want to stay in Calgary long term, then this was a good hire.  Somehow, I get the feeling they wanted bigger changes than just firing Sutter and promoting the assistant.  We shall see.

If Lindholm gets traded, then we know how the rest of the room feels about this hire.

I think that’s a bit of a shortsighted statement.  We can’t continue to proclaim proper asset management, decrying the smart play of trading for younger and higher draft picks; only to turn around and claim the trade is the fault of a bad coaching hire.

Lindholm may want to stay, but with his trade value, is that the best result?  Backlund may want to stay, but again the same question arises.

From all accounts, Huska’s area of responsibility in coaching the defensive side of the game was successful.  Our defence and penalty kills were very good.  Imo, that tells me the players were invested in what he was doing.

But that won’t stop Calgary from making trades or movements to improve the team, and not because the player isn’t happy with the coaching hire.  Conroe was also very direct in stating he wants players that want to play with the Flames.  If Lindholm wants to stay, great.  If he doesn’t, just as great.  It still is more related to team management as to whether he stays or not.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Obviously I would have preferred Love and I really question if Huska has what it takes to be a good head coach. I think alot of this was driven by budget and I think the budget was small on this one which is why you weren't going to see a bigger name. I have my reservations Huska can be good and for me this is going to hinge on what Love does from here. Did Conroy pick the right guy. 

But at the end of the day Huska is very loyal to this organization, is a good coach, a good person and I can always get behind hires like that so i'll be rooting for him. 

His PP/offensive coach is going to be a VERY key hire for him and likely will dictate whether this blows up, or is at least moderately successful

Like most here I'm also a touch disappointed, Mitch Love had it in the bag.

I'm not going to write Conroy off quite yet, there is another potential angle on this.

The next few seasons here are likely going to be harsh ones.   They don't bode well for anyone looking to take over the position as head coach, if they're concerned about longevity.   In that sense, I was maybe dreading a little bit what would happen to Mitch if he took over as head coach.

50/50 whether he stays or heads elsewhere.   But, IF he stays, assistance coach is definitely the safer position in what is otherwise an extra high risk situation.